PDA

View Full Version : Do some of you bring food/ drinks into the park?

SandraVB79
10-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I know it is "forbidden", but I certainly do it. Why? The cost, of course...
I don't mind to pay the price of "sit-down" restaurants, because I think those prices are rather reasonable, but I think the snacks are way overprized. Drinks are expensive too, and since I am not used to hot weather (living in rather cool Belgium), I drink a lot when I am at Disneyland.

Do I "sneak" them in? Not really... I always take my backpack, which has my camera, sweater, sunscreen (if I go in summer time, one doesn't need sunscreen at DLP during the winter!), extra sweater and a bottle of water and some cookies/ snacks/ whatever. Security has NEVER EVER said something about it, although they check my backpack every time I go through the gates.

Now I wondered, am I the only one breaking the rules (as if I would change my behaviour, ha!)?

stan4d_steph
10-12-2005, 05:22 AM
I think "Forbidden" is a pretty strong word. They don't want you to bring in a whole meal, but snacks are fine. I bring those often, along with a bottle of water.

Shadowcat
10-12-2005, 07:16 AM
My son can't have casien (milk protein) and is allergic to soy so we've had to bring in a small jug of rice milk whenever we visit. He also has a lot of food sensitivity issues so we need to bring familiar snacks in case he won't eat at the park. We've only been there once, but the CMs at the gate where fine about it. Believe me though, I would love to be able to by food and drink in the park for him if I could. In fact I'd be thrilled.

truesally
10-12-2005, 07:26 AM
We are loaded with snacks when we go - pretzels, granola bars, nuts, fruit snacks, and always a bottle of water. No problems with any of that - I think you're safe from Disney prison ;)

One note, however, from the health-conscious Mom-person ~ you should have some sunscreen on your exposed parts if you're out & about all day, even during the winter. That sun is always shining, it's just not making you sweat...:)

twist1980
10-12-2005, 07:26 AM
I always carry around a water bottle so I can refill it throughout the day and that saves a lot of money. I also bring snacks like Nutra-Grain bars and what not. I've never had a problem bringing things in. And over the course of 4-5 days it saves a ton of money!

Rteneyck
10-12-2005, 07:32 AM
We always bring in lots of snacks, including granola bars,chips, uncrustables, cheese sticks etc.. the thing that saves the most money is the water. My husband drinks a lot of water so I will buy a case of water and freeze it before we leave that way we have cold water all day, plus it keeps some of the other snacks we have cool. I didn't realize the savings in just bringing your own water. At 3.75 a pop that adds up.

SandraVB79
10-12-2005, 07:34 AM
One note, however, from the health-conscious Mom-person ~ you should have some sunscreen on your exposed parts if you're out & about all day, even during the winter. That sun is always shining, it's just not making you sweat...:)

Last time I was at DLP (December 2004), it was freezing, and it was raining (really hard raining) from morning until morning.
Believe me, at that time, there was no chance of getting a sunburned nose (as all other parts were covered with warm clothing, haha!) :D

hlbtimes2
10-12-2005, 08:11 AM
We dont typically bring anything in with us. We are spur of the moment people and hate to carry things around all day. This trip we'll be taking water, pop and snacks from the conc. lounge at PP. We've paid for it, we are going to use it!

tink360
10-12-2005, 08:13 AM
I usually bring a water bottle or two, and some snack bars etc. The only people I've ever seen busted for food were trying to haul a large picnic cooler into DCA. It was filled to the very top with food. Less flagrant violations seem to be tolerated.

Colin
10-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Last time I was at DLP (December 2004), it was freezing, and it was raining (really hard raining) from morning until morning.
Believe me, at that time, there was no chance of getting a sunburned nose (as all other parts were covered with warm clothing, haha!) :D

ROFLMAO!

I think if you whipped out the Sun Cream at DLP in Winter, you'd get some Damn funny looks LOL!

C°o°lin

THpoohbear
10-12-2005, 08:26 AM
I have taken in a whole lunch before. I make special pita sandwiches for special outings for my hubby and me. :) When we were APers, if we were going to be there for the whole day, we'd bring in snacks (my high metabolism hubby snacks a zillion times a day - we'd go broke if we didn't bring any food with us), and one complete meal, usually lunch. Then we'd buy dinner. This is especially true if we were going to eat at Blue Bayou. No CM has ever said anything about the food, I've even taken in tupperware containers before. Some may disagree with this... but I figure so much of our money goes to Disney already. We really wouldn't be able to afford going if we had to buy all our food there. Also, I know they request no food, but in all the years I've been going, I've yet to see this request blatently printed anywhere other than small print sometimes on the park maps. With all the CM's allow, it seems like it's Disney's request, and that it's not "forbiden,"
Just my two cents. :p

mickeynewe
10-12-2005, 08:40 AM

Actually, I agree with the first poster about using sunscreen no matter what the weather conditions. But, I'm biased on the subject....a few years ago I had surgery on my face and wound up with 18 stitches because of skin cancer. Luckily, they did a process called Mohs and my doctor did not only specialize in skin cancer, but also reconstructive surgery. The little scarring I have is minimal. BUT, there isn't a day that I won't go outside without my sunscreen, rain or shine! It is also a practice I have taught my own daughter.

As far as the snacks go, I never take them in. However, we always back a lot of water into the park. No one has ever said anything about it to us.

annieb727
10-12-2005, 10:43 AM
we've gone several times and always bring snacks in...we have "snack packs" for everyone for each day with granola bars, fruit leather, jerky, trail mix, nuts. they don't want you to bring in cooler (won't allow that), but they don't have a problem with snacks...they do discourage it, but don't forbid it.

qwiksliver1022
10-12-2005, 10:48 AM
When riding the tram from the parking structure the recording says something like "If you have brought your own food today, please use the open picnic areas" or something similar to that. Also, when in Disneyland you can go to almost any of the established restaurants and ask for a cup of water. They give it to you free of charge and it comes with ice :D ! It saves quite a bit of money. The size of the cup and service depends on where you are. Usually you'll be given the standard cup full of water and ice. The village haus did it once, but the last time I was there they gave me a child cup with ice and told me where the water fountain was.

sierranevada
10-12-2005, 10:50 AM
We also bring in sandwiches ( or lunchables for kids), snacks & water and have never been stopped. Quite frankly, there is very little in the park that I consider "healthy" for lunch. Now, of course, since I eat "healthy" for lunch, this gives me a great excuse to get all sorts of treats like churros, popcorn, etc! :p

evrythngwmn
10-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Security has NEVER EVER said something about it, although they check my backpack every time I go through the gates.

Now I wondered, am I the only one breaking the rules (as if I would change my behaviour, ha!)?

Perhaps Security has never said anything about it because Security does not do the bag checks. Bag checks are done by Main Entrance Guest Service CMs at Disneyland Resort.

On the subject of the topic: I always try and remember to bring a bottle of water with me.

Alice Fan
10-12-2005, 11:49 AM
We always bring a backpack (nice for carrying little things we buy throughout the day, the camera, chapstick, etc) with a couple of bottles of water and some snacks, usually granola bars and the usual stuff people have previously listed. Never had a problem at the entrance. We primarily bring snacks because when it's crowded, it's a pain to stand in line for just a bag of popcorn or chips if we just want a little something to snack on. Secondly, of course, it does save lots of money (especially refilling the water bottles)! Of course there are our "Disneyland Musts", which for my family includes a Mickey Mouse Ice Cream and usually a churro sometime during the day!

Andrew
10-12-2005, 12:07 PM
As most other responders on this thread have said, I always bring water and usually a few snacky-type things. Never been questioned or even looked at funny. Just don't bring metal utensils.

DianeM
10-12-2005, 12:12 PM
I did, but we ended up eating the snacks they sold instead. It didn't add up to all that much really - a couple of churros, one cotton candy split two ways, and a couple of pineapple whips. I doubt we spent more than $10/person over the entire trip on snacks. They were just too tempting. I think we did eat one of the apples, but the healthy snacks stayed in out backpacks.

I know it is "forbidden", but I certainly do it. Why? The cost, of course...
I don't mind to pay the price of "sit-down" restaurants, because I think those prices are rather reasonable, but I think the snacks are way overprized. Drinks are expensive too, and since I am not used to hot weather (living in rather cool Belgium), I drink a lot when I am at Disneyland.

Do I "sneak" them in? Not really... I always take my backpack, which has my camera, sweater, sunscreen (if I go in summer time, one doesn't need sunscreen at DLP during the winter!), extra sweater and a bottle of water and some cookies/ snacks/ whatever. Security has NEVER EVER said something about it, although they check my backpack every time I go through the gates.

SandraVB79
10-13-2005, 12:00 AM
ROFLMAO!

I think if you whipped out the Sun Cream at DLP in Winter, you'd get some Damn funny looks LOL!

C°o°lin

They would think I have been too many times on the Backwards Indy ride :D

But I am of course taking sun cream with me when I'll be at DL in 2 weeks (yes, exactly two weeks, bought my park hoppers online yesreday!! But, can you imagine, if you have them shipped to you at home, you get a 20% coupon for merchandise, if you pick them up at Will call (only possibility for me), you don't get that coupon. That just $*ck$, because I will probably spend $750-$1500 on merchandise/ collectibles)

geoffa
10-13-2005, 01:43 AM
I usually bring a water bottle or two, and some snack bars etc. The only people I've ever seen busted for food were trying to haul a large picnic cooler into DCA. It was filled to the very top with food. Less flagrant violations seem to be tolerated.

Always take bottled water into the parks at WDW - mainly because the drinking fountains are over chlorined!
We usually get one of the styrofoam hampers from 7-11, fill 1/3 full of ice at the hotel then fill with goodies. It keeps nice and cool and we take a half hour out of the parks and go eat in the parking. Makes a nice break.:fez: