PDA

View Full Version : Gone too far... opinions? [50th Celebration Commercial] [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

Maleficent's goon
10-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't watch as much TV as I used to so maybe this has been playing for a while??..but today I saw a new 50th celebration commercial that was WDW(of course)-centric that (again) acts as though Orlando is where it all began. BUT!! at the end they show Walt giving Disneyland's dedication speech but now they've edited it to where he's standing in front of Cinderella's castle!! I am not normally one that gets into the Anaheim v. Orlando debate but this somehow really got to me. Anyone else seen it?

kimc0486
10-10-2005, 10:21 PM
I saw it too today. Prob a new thing. This one did irritate me a bit, the non-Disney fanatic may not know the difference, which is false advertising!

Noah
10-10-2005, 10:22 PM
I have not seen the commercial you are speaking about, but that is sad to hear but not supprising. Ad agencies use all sorts of questionable editorial and other tactics to achieve there anticipated reactions to the ad campaigns. Frankly I am pretty sick and tired of most of the 50th Disney radio and TV ad's and find them pretty cheezy, but apparantly they have been effective at dramatically increasing attendance figures which is what it is all about at the end of the day. (as much as I would wish somehow it would not have to be that way but that is just not reality :) ) I just tune out the commercials and realize there just made mostly by ad agencies that probably don't personally have much of a personal connection to the product they are selling (which in this case is the Disney resorts) no offense to any ad agency people out there :)

cosmicjive
10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
I saw the commercial tonight and immediately thought, "What the hell was that?" I can't even describe exactly what's wrong with it, but it definitely feels wrong.

-Jeff "etumor"

TDBearGrrl
10-11-2005, 04:59 AM
The first time I 'saw' it, I just caught the end. I was working on my computer and watching TV when Walts voice caught my attention. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the WDW Castle. On the same vein, the Space Mountain commercial shows a shoulder restraint system like on Screamin'.

Advertising agencies don't take into account the delicate sensibilities of us Disney fans...

MissKim
10-11-2005, 05:02 AM
I was watching Airline last night and saw a DL/50th commercial. It was the first DL commercial I've seen and I was a bit put off -- I don't want more people coming to DL! ;)

Doug
10-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Yeah, no kidding, there was over 62,000 people there last Sat... a CM said they are working upwarks of 14 hour days (I assume if they want to), and this is the (and he used air quotes) "off season"... insane...

I was watching Airline last night and saw a DL/50th commercial. It was the first DL commercial I've seen and I was a bit put off -- I don't want more people coming to DL! ;)

JeffG
10-11-2005, 07:34 AM
I don't really object to Disney including WDW in the various 50th celebrations (I actually think it is flattering to Disneyland that the company felt the anniversary should be celebrated worldwide), but I would agree that the described ad is a big mistake. In recent years, Disney has had a tendency to do re-edits of ads shot at one resort for use to promote another and I would imagine that is what happened here. It sounds like someone in the ad department really didn't give much thought to the editing this time.

By the way, the wrong restraints shown in the Space Mountain ads actually is another example of this type of thing. The ads that have been running are re-edited versions of ads that were done for Disneyland Paris. The Space Mountain at that park has inversions and, thus, uses over-the-shoulder restraints.

-Jeff

tod
10-11-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't watch as much TV as I used to so maybe this has been playing for a while??..but today I saw a new 50th celebration commercial that was WDW(of course)-centric that (again) acts as though Orlando is where it all began. BUT!! at the end they show Walt giving Disneyland's dedication speech but now they've edited it to where he's standing in front of Cinderella's castle!! I am not normally one that gets into the Anaheim v. Orlando debate but this somehow really got to me. Anyone else seen it?

I saw it and I wanted to put my foot through the screen. It's bad enough that Disneyland is a backwater where they put the leftovers and take the good stuff out to put in WDW (When is Walt's office coming back? I forget) but now they are denigrating Walt himself (Witness Steve Martin's impatient vocalizings when Walt tells of the genesis of Disneyland) and CGI-ing Walt's dedication speech to make it look like it happened in Orlando.

When do they move the brass plaque to Orlando?

--t

Maleficent's goon
10-11-2005, 10:19 AM
"I saw it and I wanted to put my foot through the screen."

At least its not just me (just saw it again right now)

"Witness Steve Martin's impatient vocalizings when Walt tells of the genesis of Disneyland"

I'm glad somebody else brought that up---seems awfully INCREDIBLY rude especially since none of this would be taking place without WALT.

On a related note---we all know Disneyland's attendance is up for the celebration but how is WDW doing...considering they got all the "gifts"??

kohl
10-11-2005, 11:32 AM

My kids (7 and 9 years old) saw it yesterday. At first they were excited to see it until they said WDW. Then they said that Disneyland is MUCH better because Disneyland was the first and Walt was there all the time.

MrsG
10-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Then they said that Disneyland is MUCH better because Disneyland was the first and Walt was there all the time.
You are raising your kids right, kohl!! :fez:

kinglouie1967
10-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I agree with the assessment of the Steve Martin schtick. Made Walt seem like some nutjob who had this crazy idea that somehow managed to work out. As for the castle, that's just ridiculous. I believe Leo Burnett (or whatever it's called now) in Chicago holds the Disney advertising account.

kohl
10-11-2005, 01:31 PM
You are raising your kids right, kohl!! :fez:

Thanks! I was pretty proud of them when they said that.:)

Susan L
10-11-2005, 02:11 PM
I have lived in California all my life, the first part of my life was in the LA area and the second part has been in No CA area. I the last 5 years or so I have only seen 4 Disneyland comercials. All the other Disney park comercials are for WDW. This alone bothers me. I have not seen the new comercial yet and hope I don't because from the sounds of it I will not like it.

SandraVB79
10-12-2005, 01:49 AM
I don't really object to Disney including WDW in the various 50th celebrations (I actually think it is flattering to Disneyland that the company felt the anniversary should be celebrated worldwide), but I would agree that the described ad is a big mistake. In recent years, Disney has had a tendency to do re-edits of ads shot at one resort for use to promote another and I would imagine that is what happened here. It sounds like someone in the ad department really didn't give much thought to the editing this time.

By the way, the wrong restraints shown in the Space Mountain ads actually is another example of this type of thing. The ads that have been running are re-edited versions of ads that were done for Disneyland Paris. The Space Mountain at that park has inversions and, thus, uses over-the-shoulder restraints.

-Jeff

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the commercial they use here for DLP is the same one they used for the opening of DL Hong Kong. It's one "Pixar-like", where all the Disney characters are going to the castle to meet (Dumbo is flying, some are in a car at Golden gat bridge, Cinderella is in her coach, ...)

Well, excuse me???? Great they want to advertise the opening of a new park, great they want to advertise that the HCOE is also taking place in DLP, but do they really have to use the same commercial for that????

Two days ago, I saw the commercial for Christmas Season at DLP (starting Nov 5)... it's the same one as last year and 2 years ago and 3 years ago... *sigh*

animagusurreal
10-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Recently, I saw a Walt Disney World commercial which featured footage of Walt Disney giving his dedication speech to Disneyland, matted in front of a black and white image of Disney World's Cinderella Castle. The narration says that 50 years ago, Disney created "a place" where families could have fun, etc. (They don't say Disneyland.)

Not that it's a big deal, and I was glad to see Walt on TV again, but it seems as though they're trying to trick people into thinking that Disney World was the park that opened 50 years ago, even moreso than in the commercials where they said it was "The 50th Anniversary of Disney Theme Parks", which is true. Is this perhaps because people stay longer and spend more at WDW? (just speculating.)

10-20-2005, 03:51 AM
it seems as though they're trying to trick people into thinking that Disney World was the park that opened 50 years ago, even moreso than in the commercials where they said it was "The 50th Anniversary of Disney Theme Parks", which is true.

I've seen the commercial and never thought it was deceptive.

IMO, the average viewer doesn't give two seconds of thought to the age of WDW, nor does the average viewer care which park is 50. The main point is there's a special celebration going on, come on down and see.

animagusurreal
10-20-2005, 04:39 AM
I've seen the commercial and never thought it was deceptive.

IMO, the average viewer doesn't give two seconds of thought to the age of WDW, nor does the average viewer care which park is 50. The main point is there's a special celebration going on, come on down and see.

Yeah, you're proabably right about the average viewer not caring, but it still seemed funny to me that they would put Walt in front of WDW's castle - in 1950's-style black and white - with no mention of DL, especially since the commercial is airing here in California. But no big :cool: .

disneyhound
10-20-2005, 05:01 AM
I've seen the commercial and never thought it was deceptive...Sorry, my daughter and I had a different thought. However, they have the option to market the 50th as they deem appropriate to maximize attendance for all Disney properties; Long Live Capitalism!

Skunker
10-20-2005, 05:14 AM
I thought the same thing when I saw it (in Colorado) they are putting Walt in front of the WDW castle and it's DL's 50th! But then at the end they say "come to WDW" or something like that....that's all fine and good, but why not market DL? After all it is DL's 50th and I'm actually closer to DL than WDW. Just seems so strange they seem to be only promoting visiting WDW for DL's 50th.

stan4d_steph
10-20-2005, 05:20 AM
There was also some recent discussion of this ad in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=48846).

janell
10-20-2005, 07:30 AM
What I found funny was that I noticed but didn’t say anything about Walt and his speech being put in front of WDW. But friends who are not the biggest Disney fans, noticed and asked me if Walt gave a speech at WDW. I said no that’s our footage here at DL. They didn’t like it. Its nice that they noticed.

audibleatom
10-20-2005, 11:20 AM
I found it deceptive but if i was doing ads for Disney I would do the same thing. I think they are national Ads i see them on Sattelite. It would not understand why they would run WDW ads in California. Yes I agree that most people don't know that Walt died before the compleation on the Magic Kingdom.

twist1980
10-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Funny, we were just discussing this on another site. We were talking about how there seem to be a lot more WDW commercials than DLR commercials. People across the country posted and on the east coast they haven't even seen any DLR commercials.

I saw the WDW commercial again last night during Lost. I agree that it is really deceptive. Why are they pushing WDW so much harder than DLR? It's Disneylands birthday darnit! Not WDW's! :crying: