PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Southern California

jazzysmom
10-10-2005, 07:05 PM
During our stay we will be driving to a couple of destinations. Please keep in mind we are from Oregon, and we do not have much traffic here. I have done the online driving maps etc, so I am not asking for distance.

MOST IMPORTANT: If we want to arrive in Anaheim at 9am on a Monday morning, driving from the Universal Studios area, what time should we leave?

Other drives I am concerned about:
1st drive: Universal Sheraton (Universal Studios) to Long Beach on a Sunday morning. How long will this take? How is traffic on Sundays? We are planning on having lunch at Bubba Gumps on Aquarium Way, will this be easy to find? Parking? Is there anything else you would recommend doing in Long Beach?

2nd Drive: Universal Sheraton to where the movie stars names are on the ground (I hope you know what I mean). Is there any where to park near this? Is it pretty easy to find? We also want to see the Chinese Theater, is that near here?

3rd Drive: From Universal Sheraton again. We are going to "Star Wars: Dressing a Galaxy" at the FIDM Museum. Again, how long with this take with traffic, is it easy to find, is there parking?

Ok, I suppose that is enough questions for now. I am anxiously awaiting your replies and many thanks in advance!

The Lovely Mrs. tod
10-10-2005, 07:42 PM
During our stay we will be driving to a couple of destinations. Please keep in mind we are from Oregon, and we do not have much traffic here. I have done the online driving maps etc, so I am not asking for distance.

MOST IMPORTANT: If we want to arrive in Anaheim at 9am on a Monday morning, driving from the Universal Studios area, what time should we leave?

1st drive: Universal Sheraton (Universal Studios) to Long Beach on a Sunday morning. How long will this take? How is traffic on Sundays? We are planning on having lunch at Bubba Gumps on Aquarium Way, will this be easy to find? Parking? Is there anything else you would recommend doing in Long Beach?

2nd Drive: Universal Sheraton to where the movie stars names are on the ground (I hope you know what I mean). Is there any where to park near this? Is it pretty easy to find? We also want to see the Chinese Theater, is that near here?

3rd Drive: From Universal Sheraton again. We are going to "Star Wars: Dressing a Galaxy" at the FIDM Museum. Again, how long with this take with traffic, is it easy to find, is there parking?

Ok, I suppose that is enough questions for now. I am anxiously awaiting your replies and many thanks in advance!

Universal to DL on a Monday morning: Barring unforseen circunstances, if you leave by 7:30 you should make it by nine. You'll get tough traffic as you approach the Downtown slot and it won't let up until Norwalk, possibly even to Buena Park. For a weekday morning drive time trip (and we live close to Universal) we allow 60 to 90 mins.

Universal Sheraton to Hollywood (I think you're talking about the Walk of Fame?) Depends on the time of day, with no traffic you're about 15 minutes, around the Hollywood Bowl and bam! You're there. Grauman's Chinese is on Hollywood Blvd, it's on the Walk of Fame.

Universal to FIDM? Could be 20 minutes, Hollywood Fwy straight downtown. Could be longer, depends on the time of day...if you're going downtown on a weekday morning remember...so is everyone else!

-TLMt

nightdesigns
10-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I'll help you out here the best I can.

7am, seriously. You might have better luck arriving at 10am, and you can probably leave around 8:30am.

1st drive: Universal Sheraton (Universal Studios) to Long Beach on a Sunday
morning. How long will this take? How is traffic on Sundays? We are planning on having lunch at Bubba Gumps on Aquarium Way, will this be easy to find? Parking? Is there anything else you would recommend doing in Long Beach?

I'd give yourself 75 mintues or so. Weekends around LA can sometimes be worse than weekdays. Lunch time should help you a bit. There is a parking garage by the aquarium, plenty of parking there. Easy in, Easy out. Aquarium of course, and the queen mary is in long beach (around the corner).

You want to get to Hollywood Blvd. Park at the Kodak theater, there is a mall there with plenty of available parking. You can shop at the mall, check out the theater, and when you make it to street level, that's where all the names are. Any of the souviner shops should have a list of where particular stars are for a small price. Also, the kodak theater is next to the Chinese theater and across the street from the el capitan, and there's a disney store there. How convient.

Can't help you with this one, sorry.

No worries, best of luck.

Edit: The Lovely Mrs. tod beat me on some of the replies.

Koala Gurl
10-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Universal to Anaheim... - is this to get into Disneyland?? If DL opens at 9am, I would aim to be there by 8:30...and you need to figure in parking & tram time. That said, if it were me, I would leave no later than 7. If you just need to be in Anaheim by 9, barring any accidents, 7:30 should work.

Universal to Long Beach on Sunday AM Sunday morning is pretty light (usually) traffic-wise (unless there is construction...you can check Cal Trans website for info...don't have link but a google search should do it!)

nightdesigns
10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
If you have access to an internet connection, sigalert.com will be your friend.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
10-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Edit: The Lovely Mrs. tod beat me on some of the replies.
And she knows where the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising is, too...;)

-TLMt

mkraemer
10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
I'll help you out here the best I can.

worse than weekdays. Lunch time should help you a bit. There is a parking garage by the aquarium, plenty of parking there. Easy in, Easy out. Aquarium of course, and the queen mary is in long beach (around the corner).

My dear, if you are going to the Long Beach area on a Sunday for breakfast, skip Bubba Gumps for the absolutely splendid Sunday Brunch at the Queen Mary. It's lavish and elegant and incredible. Trust me on this.

You want to get to Hollywood Blvd. Park at the Kodak theater, there is a mall there with plenty of available parking. You can shop at the mall, check out the theater, and when you make it to street level, that's where all the names are. Any of the souviner shops should have a list of where particular stars are for a small price. Also, the kodak theater is next to the Chinese theater and across the street from the el capitan, and there's a disney store there. How convient.

I second the idea of parking at the Highland Center. Walk around, take photos of the Hollywood sign through that lovely building's openings. If there's some interesting film showing (guaranteed to be Disney!), make the excuse to go see it at the El Capitan. It's a grand old theatre that's been restored beautifully, with a great sound system. It's a pleasure to see a movie there--the way movies were supposed to be seen.

However, the adjoining Disney Store is not there any more (unless it's been changed back). I heard they changed it over to be an old-fashioned soda fountain with scrumptious desserts. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so within a few days!

If that's not substantial enough fare for you, right around the corner, in the pink Max Factor building is a Mel's, which has diner fare and American Graffiti atmosphere galore.

I'd recommend not venturing too far around Hollywood beyond this zone after dark. I think there's some pretty 'interesting' nightlife to that crawls out late in the evening...

Mrs. Newseditor44
10-10-2005, 09:49 PM

6:30am no later than 7am.

Universal to Long Beach on a Sunday is not bad at all. The easiest way is 101S to 710S. There's an exit that takes you straight to the Aquarium. There is parking across the way from the Aquarium as well and is very convenient. I've never eaten at Bubba Gump so I couldn't tell you otherwise but there are many other restaurants to choose from that are better. You can visit the Queen Mary or walk to Pine Street. They also have a water taxi that you can take just to go around the harbor.

You don't have to drive...take the Red Line Subway from Universal to Hollywood/Highland. The Chinese Graumann (sp?) is next door.

I am assuming the museum is at the school and FIDM I believe is on Grand Ave. It will take you about 20 minutes. South on the 101 exit Grand Ave and turn right. You'll pass the Music Center, Disney Concert Hall, Biltmore Hotel and then FIDM is on your left just after the heart of Downtown. Better call FIDM to make sure though. Downtown LA parking IS expensive!!!!!!

JeffG
10-10-2005, 10:15 PM

Monday morning traffic is often the worst in the L.A. area. If you really want to get to the park by 9, I would leave no later than 7. It isn't inconceivable that it could take you even longer than that to get to Anaheim from Universal on a Monday morning, though.

Sunday mornings typically are pretty light traffic. My suggestion on this one would be to run directions using either Yahoo Maps or MapQuest and pretty much go by the drive time that they give you. Their estimates are usually a bit padded anyway, although if you have reservations you may want to add an extra 20-30 minutes to be safe.

Long Beach is where you will find the main Port of Los Angeles, so you might want to drive down to the waterfront and see the ships in port. Since the restaurant you are going to is on Aquarium Way, you probably will also be very close to the Long Beach Aquarium, which is pretty nice.

After lunch, you might also want to consider driving up to the Santa Monica Pier or to Venice Beach, either of which is a pretty easy drive from where you will be.

The Hollywood Walk of Fame is along Hollywood Blvd and the Chinese Theater is at Hollywood and Highland. This is a pretty short drive from Universal City, but the traffic can be terrible. You actually might be better off taking the subway. There is a subway station right at the base of the hill at Universal (a short walk from the Sheraton) and the Hollywood & Highland station (which drops you right by the Chinese Theater) is only a couple stops away. The subway fare probably would be pretty comparable to the parking costs, but probably much easier than driving.

I was actually just there yesterday. From Universal, you would take the 101 freeway south to the 110 freeway south. They recommend taking the 9th street exit staying to the left on the exit ramp and then drive 4 blocks to 9th and Grand. There is a parking garage under the building and the entrance is on 9th. Parking was a $5 flat rate yesterday, although it will be higher if you are going during the day on a weekday. The museum isn't too far from Universal, but you are going right downtown L.A. and traffic can be very heavy.

The subway is an option again here. According to the FIDM website (http://starwars.fidm.edu/index.shtm#fix), The 7th Street/Metro Center station is about 2 blocks from the museum.

-Jeff

tod
10-10-2005, 10:22 PM

What you're thinking of is the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It is enormous. It starts at Hollywood and La Brea and stretches to Gower Street (about a mile, both sides of the street) and three or four blocks up and down Vine Street, up to Yucca and down to Sunset. You may want to go to the Walk of Fame Website (http://www.hollywoodchamber.net/php/wofstars.php) and check out who you want to pay tribute to.

Your best bet is to park at the Hollywood and Highland complex. Take Highland south past the Hollywood Bowl, and just before Hollywood Boulevard make a right on Johnny Grant Way and park under the building. It's $2 for four hours with validation and they have a couple of eating places and plenty of shops.

Grauman's Chinese is at the west end of the Hollywood and Highland complex. Also in the complex is the Kodak Theater, where the Oscars® are given out every year. There's an interesting display on the columns, which have panels with the names and years of the Best Picture winners. The panels go up to 2046 or something. They also have a Virgin Megastore, which was opened after the roof caved in at the Virgin Megastore five blocks from Chez tod in Burbank, so we're not real happy about that, it looks like we've lost our Virgin Megastore snif but that's okay.

The Disney-operated El Capitan theatre is across the street from Hollywood and Highland. The arch in the building is aligned to face the HOLLYWOOD sign (Old Hollywood) and the El Capitan (New Hollywood). Sid Grauman's Egyptian Theatre (which pre-dates the Chinese) is east on Hollywood Bouelvard and has tours and a retrospective film playing some days, check www.egyptiantheatre.com for details. That's about as far as you want to wander down Hollywood Boulevard, too. But be sure to take a look at the Capitol Records building on Vine Street, the famous round building that has been a landmark since the late '50s.

Have fun.

--t

Darkbeer
10-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Want to go to the Subway from the Universal Sheraton... you can catch the Hotel Shuttle to Citywalk, and then take the Lankershim Shuttle to the bottom of the hill, all you have to do is cross the street to get to the Subway entrance, and take it to Hollywood and Highland.

potzbie
10-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Is anyone savvy about the car pool lanes, between those two points?

I never have enough people in my car to even think of car pool lanes, so I am in the dark about where they are, whether you can hop on them as you change freeways, and the like.

Will my Thomas Guide be of any help for car pool lane purposes?

Mrs. Newseditor44
10-10-2005, 11:54 PM
Is anyone savvy about the car pool lanes, between those two points?

I never have enough people in my car to even think of car pool lanes, so I am in the dark about where they are, whether you can hop on them as you change freeways, and the like.

Will my Thomas Guide be of any help for car pool lane purposes?

There is no continuous carpool lane on the 101 from Universal to Anaheim. The HOV lane begins after the 91 junction on I5. There is a dedicated freeway exit to Disney Way.

Here's a map of the current carpool (HOV) lanes in LA/OC area.
http://www.commutesmart.info/lotslanes&links/carpoollanes_map.html

Darkbeer
10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Here is a good carpool map link (Forget Thomas Bros. for carpool lanes)

http://www.mta.net/images/hov_map.gif

Note, just look at the GREEN lanes, as everything else is in development

Here is a SoCal map (not just LA as above)

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/aboutdist7/hov/hov_maps/HOVmap_interregional05.pdf

This map has PINK operating lanes.....

And if you compare routes from the 5/210/405 merge at the north, and look at the Carpool lanes, there is a lot more of them if you take the 405 south to the 105 south (east) to the 605 south to the 91 east to the 5 south, as compared to the 210 south to the 605 south to the 91 south to the 5 south, plus the fact that the 405 route is shorter in length.....

mousey_girl
10-11-2005, 02:51 AM
Bubba Gumps is right next to the Aquarium parking structure. If the weather allows, the wait can be shortened by choosing to sit outside.

CrazyTrain
10-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Your best bet is to park at the Hollywood and Highland complex. Take Highland south past the Hollywood Bowl, and just before Hollywood Boulevard make a right on Johnny Grant Way and park under the building. It's $2 for four hours with validation and they have a couple of eating places and plenty of shops.

My suggestion for validation is the Disney ice cream shoppe! It's GREAT. They serve hot dogs and grilled cheese besides ice cream.

Also, if you stay on the Grauman's Chinese theater side of the street and walk toward Highland, about two blocks down is Walt Disney's star.

THpoohbear
10-11-2005, 08:28 AM
I highly recommend seeing the Long Beach Aquarium, especially if you'll be at Bubba Gumps for lunch. The aquarium is delightful, especially in the morning. You could arrive there, enjoy it, and then go eat lunch. The parking structure serves both places. As you walk to the aquarium, you'll walk right past Bubbba's. I don't have kids, my hubby and I went there and had so much fun. =) If there are kids, they'll love it too. :D

Re the El Capitan: There is the newly opened soda fountain next door, and it does include a very small selection of Disney items. Especially movies. There is also a walk up window to order ice cream. The soda fountain is very small, and there is a huge line that forms outside as soon as the movie lets out. It looked fun, you just have to hit it at the right time.

If you do see a movie there, order tickets ahead of time online. They do less out if it's a popular movie. Online orders cost and extra two dollars per ticket. Online you can see how many seats are left to help you decided if preordering is necessary or not. http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/

Have a blast!

scaeagles
10-11-2005, 08:36 AM
While a different direction and different driver, I have questions about Southern CA traffic patterns.

I am leaving Phoenix tomorrow at 1:00pm. This will probably put me at the intersection of westbound 10 and the 60 at around 5:30. Not the best time to get into that area, I'm sure.

So....would it be better to take 60 to 91 to 57, or the 10 all the way to the 57? Is it going to make a difference at all in terms of traffic?

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JeffG
10-11-2005, 08:47 AM
And if you compare routes from the 5/210/405 merge at the north, and look at the Carpool lanes, there is a lot more of them if you take the 405 south to the 105 south (east) to the 605 south to the 91 east to the 5 south, as compared to the 210 south to the 605 south to the 91 south to the 5 south, plus the fact that the 405 route is shorter in length.....

Uh, this thread was asking about directions from Universal. Any of those routes would be poor choices from there.

Depending on traffic, the best routes from Universal to Disneyland would be either to take the 101 South to the 5 South (the most direct route) or to take surface streets to the 134 East and then to the 5 South. The latter route is a little bit further, but does avoid going through downtown.

If the 5 is too badly tied up, another options might be to take the 101-S to the 110-S to the 91-E to the 5-S. That still goes through downtown, but there are more carpool lanes. Another option that I've used a few times would be to get onto the 5-S (either via the 101 or the 134) and then get off at the 710-S to the 91-E to the 5-S. That goes a bit out of the way, but can sometimes save some time if traffic is too heavy.

For someone that isn't local and doesn't really know the area, though, I would really strongly recommend sticking with the 101-S to 5-S route and simply allowing a lot of time for the drive.

-Jeff

jazzysmom
10-11-2005, 08:56 AM
You guys truly are the BEST!!! I am going to print ALL of this and take it with us!

The ONLY reason we are going to Long Beach is to eat at Bubba Gumps. We went to the one in Maui last year, and fell in love with the Mama's Southern Fried Chicken w/ bourbon gravy. OMG, it is to DIE for. We have been dreaming about it ever since!! Seems like almost everybody that goes there has shrimp (DUH), but we don't eat seafood, so we found our favorite dish! You gotta try it if you haven't!

So one other question in regards to all of this - can it all be done in one day?
Meal at Bubbas, The Walk of Fame/Grauman Theater & a 3:30 ticket at FIDM? If so, how would you recommend putting the day together? (This will be Sunday Oct 16th, Our Happy Anniversary!)

I had planned to leave early 8-9am to drive to Long Beach. See the Queen Mary and be at Bubba's at 11am when they open. Have lunch and head back to Univeral area. Do you think we would have time to walk around Hollywood before our 3:30 FIDM? Or should we plan on after FIDM (which it would be getting closer to dark, which might be scary for us Oregonians lol). ORRR should we spend the morning & afternoon in Hollywood, and drive out to Long Beach for dinner? If we do flip Bubbas to dinner time, how is driving at night on the freeways down there? Let me know what you think, ok???

tod
10-11-2005, 09:17 AM
There is no continuous carpool lane on the 101 from Universal to Anaheim. The HOV lane begins after the 91 junction on I5. There is a dedicated freeway exit to Disney Way.

Actually, the HOV-lane exit is to Disneyland Drive, which is where you want to go anyway.

--t

Mrs. Newseditor44
10-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Actually, the HOV-lane exit is to Disneyland Drive, which is where you want to go anyway.

--t

5 years as a transportation planner for Los Angeles I stand corrected. Disney Way is if you are headed northbound on I5. Either way, you see the word Disney you'll definitely be near a Disney owned property.

Mrs. Newseditor44
10-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Here is a good carpool map link (Forget Thomas Bros. for carpool lanes)

http://www.mta.net/images/hov_map.gif

The first link is not a recent map. The second one Darkbeer has linked or the one I originally had are the most recent maps. If you have internet access in your hotel room, I suggest you also look at www.abc7.com and over to the right is traffic. click on that and choose LA East as the OC doesnt link consistently. If you place the mouse over the freeway, you can get mph report on the regular and HOV lanes.