PDA

View Full Version : Monte Cristo at Blue Bayou Wooow!

Pages : [1] 2

Mickey
10-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Well I had luck this saturday. I wen't to Blue Bayou and it was all booked up for the afternoon, luckily I made it for a lunch walk in.

It was my first time, in the Blue... WOW...

It was my first time eating a Monte Cristo...all I can say: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:eek: DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!

Andrew
10-10-2005, 04:26 PM
How'd you manage to get a Monte Cristo in the evening? Or was it just at the tail end of the lunch menu hours?

Mickey
10-10-2005, 04:36 PM
How'd you manage to get a Monte Cristo in the evening? Or was it just at the tail end of the lunch menu hours?

Sorry afternoon, lunch hours....sorry sorry... not evening..
I told the CM at the booth that I was told to come back in the aftenoon that same morning, and he said, sorry we are all booked up... then said well let me see what I can do, and OF COURSE there was a table, he said there is one now ,want it...so I said YEEEES!
I didn't know the place had so many "reservations" that's why I think Im lucky! I even got a annual pass dinning pin! (it was nearly 3.45pm)

ILovePoker
10-10-2005, 06:31 PM
They are very good. The berry sauce (forget which berry) dipped in the sandwich is amazingly good. My favorite meal at the resort by far.:D

newportbeachbumz
10-10-2005, 06:41 PM
They are very good. The berry sauce (forget which berry) dipped in the sandwich is amazingly good. My favorite meal at the resort by far.:D :) knock yourselves out!
Blue Bayou’s famous Monte Cristo sandwich.
Blue Bayou’s Monte Cristo Sandwich
Chef Timothy Kopaceski, New Orleans Square,
Disneyland Resort

2 slices white bread
1 ounce Swiss cheese
1.5 ounces sliced ham
1.5 ounces sliced turkey
6 ounces blackberry jam
4 cups canola oil, for frying
1 tablespoon cream
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Batter:

3 1/2 cups water
1 egg
3 drops yellow food coloring
3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons corn starch

• In a large mixing bowl, mix all wet batter
ingredients; then add all dry batter
ingredients and mix thoroughly. It is best
to let batter rest for 2 hours before
cooking.

• Stack sandwiches in this order: white
bread, cheese, ham, turkey, cheese and white
bread. Press sandwiches together. This helps
to keep sandwiches together during frying.

• In a deep fryer or frying pot, add oil and
bring to 350 F. When oil comes to 350 F, dip
sandwich in batter and cover completely.
Carefully place sandwich in hot oil, and
cook for 2 minutes on each side.

• Drain sandwich and dust with powdered
sugar. Serve with blackberry jam.

christina
10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Is the jam on the sandwich or on the side?

ILovePoker
10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Is the jam on the sandwich or on the side?
Mine was on the side in a little cup.

ima_mickeyfan
10-10-2005, 07:37 PM
sounds yuckie!

tink360
10-10-2005, 07:43 PM
.......thinking I must be the only one on the entire message board who thinks the Monte Cristo is a ghastly mix of conflicting flavors / textures (donning asbestos suit)

mkraemer
10-10-2005, 07:49 PM
.......thinking I must be the only one on the entire message board who thinks the Monte Cristo is a ghastly mix of conflicting flavors / textures (donning asbestos suit)

I don't completely agree with this assessment re: flavors. I *used* to love the things until I got a ghastly bout of food poisoning from one a few years ago.

Never more...it's in the attractions of Yesterland in my book!

truesally
10-10-2005, 09:50 PM
sounds yuckie!
Truly, the list of ingredients does sound yucky, no doubt. However, like many dishes, once it's undergone the magical chemistry of mixing/cooking/baking/frying/whatever, it is quite delicious. It's definitely in the gotta-try-it-to-know-it category. Think of such seemingly-nauseating combinations like honey mustard dip (which uses yogurt as a base) or quiche (it's an egg, cheese, & vegetable pie). Of course, if you despise those things (having tasted them), my point is moot. Feel free, then, to ignore those of us who rapturously describe our moments with the Monte Cristo sandwich...:eek:

Understandably, once you've heaved a meal it does lose its appeal - so sorry for your loss, mkraemer :(

The Lovely Mrs. tod
10-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Hey, that was informative. I put that recipe into the Weight Watchers recipe builder and they come out at about 20 points a sandwich. :~D

I always knew there was a reason I didn't like them much...

-TLMt

potzbie
10-10-2005, 10:20 PM
• In a deep fryer or frying pot, add oil and
bring to 350 F. When oil comes to 350 F, dip
sandwich in batter and cover completely.
Carefully place sandwich in hot oil, and
cook for 2 minutes on each side.

• Drain sandwich and dust with powdered
sugar. Serve with blackberry jam.

Okay.--Meat and sugar.
An unlikey pairing.
But I've heard of sugar-cured ham, and I've heard of honey-baked ham.
No one complains, "Eww! Sugar on meat!" for those things.
Right?

So I will try a modest experiment.
I have some fresh deli-sliced turkey and deli-sliced ham in my fridge.
I also have some Smuckers boysenberry jam (or is it jelly?).
I will make a sandwich of turkey and ham, and spread boysenberry jelly/jam on it.
I will not deep fry it, since this confounding variable may skew the experimental purity of the research. (Of course.)
Then, I will eat the sandwich and report my results.

My report may be check boxes, like so:

[ ] Ewww! [ ] Ick! [ ] Ehh! [ ] Hmm! [ ] Oh! [ ] Ah! [ ] Yeah! [ ] Wow!

Or, I just may use the Siskel & Ebert THUMB scale.

[ ] two thumb downs [ ] mixed results [ ] two thumbs up [ ] two thumbs way up

We wil publish the results in the Journal of Irreproducible Results.
:)
Don't try this at home.
On the other hand, go ahead! -- Use junior as a guinea pig!
;)

Clotho
10-10-2005, 10:34 PM
The frying is part of it. Just putting jam on a ham sandwich is NOT going to get the same effect at all. So don't judge this by your home made version!!

ThomasCanty
10-11-2005, 03:45 AM
I was actually just a little disappointed with the Monte Cristo at Blue Bayou. The first one I ever had was earlier this year at the Pyramid Cafe in Luxor, Las Vegas. That was heaven! A few weeks later I went to Blue Bayou, but it wasn't quite the same. It's still very good, just not as good. The difference for me was that the Pyramid Cafe served it with maple syrup instead of the jam that Blue Bayou uses.

10-11-2005, 04:46 AM
It's congealed in the middle.

'Nuff said.

Doug
10-11-2005, 05:06 AM
Famouse? Funny, I never heard of it before.... So, what time do they server them until? I have never eaten in the Blue Bayou.... how far ahead should one make a reservation?

geoffa
10-11-2005, 05:34 AM
I don't completely agree with this assessment re: flavors. I *used* to love the things until I got a ghastly bout of food poisoning from one a few years ago.

Never more...it's in the attractions of Yesterland in my book!

Probably a totally different thread but my food-poisoning was as a result of the clam chowder in the bread bowl that they do at New Orleans Square. The Monte Cristo has never yet had that effect on me I'm glad to say!:fez:

geoffa
10-11-2005, 05:37 AM
potzbie wrote: But I've heard of sugar-cured ham, and I've heard of honey-baked ham.
No one complains, "Eww! Sugar on meat!" for those things.
Right?

A lot of processed food contains hidden sugars and salts and added water. Some bacon is pumped full of both. And by the way there's also maple cured bacon.

Crazy4Mickey
10-11-2005, 08:04 AM
I would count myslef in the "love it" category. I agree that the sounds of it when you try to describe it isn't all that apealing but I sure do love the taste of it.

I have kind of a side question. When I had it last week, it came with an italian pasta salad on the side. Being one who isn't all that into pasta salads I was quite suprised to find that I really like it. I have tried too replicate it with italian dressing and pasta but can't seem to get the same flavor. Does anyone know how they make it?

adriennek
10-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Hey, that was informative. I put that recipe into the Weight Watchers recipe builder and they come out at about 20 points a sandwich. :~D

You know what THAT means??

1/2 of a sandwich is only 10 points!

WOO HOO!

Adrienne

Andrew
10-11-2005, 09:13 AM
You know what THAT means?? 1/2 of a sandwich is only 10 points! WOO HOO!
I'll split one with you.

JP1
10-11-2005, 09:22 AM
I don't know what's wrong with me, but when I had this, I found it to be just not good. The bread acts like a sponge which just sucks up all that oil when they dip it into the fryer. I felt so oily and gross after I ate it.

It wasn't like a real Monte Cristo sandwich which is what I was expecting. A real monte cristo sandwich has the bread slices dipped in egg and then each side is cooked in a skillet, so the bread comes out more like French Toast. It's not covered in batter and then dipped in a fryer.

MrsSmith
10-11-2005, 11:20 AM
I was thinking of trying the recipe posted above but instead of frying it in all that oil I was going to just pan grill it in a little butter.

Has anyone tried this?

Lani
10-11-2005, 11:58 AM
They should have a kid's meal size with a quarter size Monte Cristo and it would be just right. Just enough grease and batter to satisfy my craving, but not leave me too bloated.