PDA

View Full Version : Cast Members please do something

Pages : [1] 2 3

BWthespian
10-09-2005, 06:28 PM
ok you know how guys strengthened the rules to the special assistances passes(which ive only done like twice i admit lol) well i was very annoyed to see last saturday when i was in line for matterhorn,waiting for about 60 minutes,and than to see these punk spanish kids go in through the side with a wheel chair, which they so obviously didnt need. not to sound like an a*% but can you please,if you give out the wheelchairs to just be a little observant of the ones who dont need it.

ChipmunkStar
10-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I don't think that the Cast Members at the stroller/wheelchair area are responsible for censoring who does or does not get a wheelchair. Now if security or another cast member saw them "Obviously abusing" their use of said wheelchair, then something may need to be done. The people at the counter are simply responsible for taking the guests' money, they don't necessarily know if someone has an unseen injury or something like that. Neither do you or any one of us.

Crazy4DL
10-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Why would it matter to you if someone was using a wheelchair? how would it affect you whether they needed the chair or not?

I guess I don't understand why you are upset.

I really do not know why you have to say "punk Spanish kids"? you wouldn't say "punk English kids" would you?

MrsG
10-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Or just plain old "punk teenagers."

BWthespian
10-09-2005, 07:36 PM
ok than...."punk" teenagers. but really,;ets say you have been waiting in the haunted mansion like for like half an hour and in walks these ppl who u can see dont even need it, wouldnt you do anything

Crazy4DL
10-09-2005, 07:38 PM
You mean they took cuts in front of you in line?

ChipmunkStar
10-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Again, not all disabilities are obvious to the naked eye. How do you personally know that the person using the wheelchair hasn't had some sort of surgery that may affect their ability to walk for long periods of time? Or what if they have some other sort of ailment that you wouldn't know about unless you knew them personally?

Seriously, six people getting to the front of the line a few minutes ahead of you is NOT going to bring the universe to a screeching halt.

annieb727
10-09-2005, 07:55 PM
when we go to disneyland, i will be using a wheelchair -- for two reasons...I recently may have broken my little toe (so walking is very painful), and two I have some other bad foot problems...I can walk normally for a bit, but after a few "blocks" worth or walking, but can easily get out of the wheelchair and get to the ride, but if I was walking or standing for more than a little while, I would be in extreme pain.

so for me, it's not obvious when you look at me, or when I step out of the wheelchair, I may look like just a normal person...but i really do have a reason...you just can't always SEE the reason...so unless you know for sure, please don't be so accusatory (did I spell that right??) -- like you have seen them several times and there was a different person in the wheelchair each time or something like that

Crazy4DL
10-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Don't you have to get some kind of special pass to go to the front of the lines at Disneyland?

I don't believe, being in a wheel chair mean you automatically get to go to the front of the line.

ETA: This wasn't directed at you annie. We were posting at the same time.

tom522
10-09-2005, 07:57 PM
I used to work Matterhorn and all wheelchair and electric scooter parties are required to go through the entire lengh of the queue because a wheelchair and scooter fits through the line (the Matterhorn has a wheelchair accessible line and meets all ADA requirements). However if the group has a guest assistance card that permits them to bypass the regular line then they may go directly through the side gate without waiting through the line. Guest Relations is responsible for issuing those passes and if they had that bypass pass the cast members allow them to use the gate as an alternate entrance.

Getting that pass means somebody in your group meets certain medical conditions (i.e. autism, terminal illness, etc.)

If your in a wheelchair because you broke your toe then they are not going to give you that pass. You wait in line with your wheelchair like everybody else in those cases (unless of course the attraction does not have a wheelchair accessible line like Alice in Wonderland THEN you may use an alternate entrance even without the pass).

Cast members are not permitted to question whether or not the group needs that pass they are only required to make sure they have that pass before allowing them to use that alternate entrance.

If someone went directly through that side gate without going through the line with a wheelchair then they had that bypass pass or one of two other passes.

Also we do permit rider switches as well.

We have passes for this at the attraction.

That means if a group has a small child with them that either does not meet the height requirement or is too scared to ride then we will give a group a rider switch pass.

Part of the group waits through the entire line and part of the group waits with the child. When the first part of the group gets off ride the second part of the group is permitted to go through the side gate without waiting in line again a second time. This way they can take turns riding the ride while someone watches the child and nobody waits through the entire line again a second time.

We also have backdoor passes.

These passes are given to guests who get stuck on a ride so they can do something else without waiting in line because they were inconvienced.

So to answer your question those guests had to have had one of those above mentioned passes to be allowed to use the side gate without waiting in line.

Nobody with a wheelchair OR electric scooter gets on Matterhorn without waiting the lengh of the line UNLESS they have one of the above mentioned passes.

Hope this gave you understanding of the situation you witnessed.

Pirate Princess
10-09-2005, 08:41 PM
My sis, who looks like any other teen, is... well.. without explaining the entire medical description.. has a form of autism. She can seem "normal" or high functioning" for periods at a time, but trust me, you do not want to be in line with her for an hour (mostly because she gets paranoid in crowds and has behaviors when the paranoia kicks in). She used the special pass and those who saw her do this were overtly outraged!
Please do not be the person who does this. She is another example of an unseen disability and loud comments about "cutting" and such are hurtful to the person who needs the pass and the family members accompanying those who need it.
It often seems that we are so understanding of disabilities when those who have them are young children, but heaven forbid the person who has them is in the teenage range.. having similar characteristics as other teenagers (you know.. typical teenager behaviors or looks like your typical teen).
I do understand it's easier when you are able to identify the disability, but those who don't have identifiable disabilities probably have a harder life because of that. People don't know how to treat someone or something they do not understand.

Dexter
10-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Disneyland is very accomodating to people with disabilities and I commend them for the programs they have in place to assist guests with special needs.

<snip>...than to see these punk spanish kids go in through the side with a wheel chair, which they so obviously didnt need. not to sound like an a*% but can you please,if you give out the wheelchairs to just be a little observant of the ones who dont need it.

I have several reservations about this thread. The top most being that apparently, in the OP's opinion you have to look as though you have a need to use a wheelchair. I know several people that don't look as though they need a wheelchair, but because of their disabilites use one. I'm relatively familliar with the policies governing issuances of GAC's [Guest Access Card] and can say with fair certainty that they are not given out widely.

I was standing in line at City Hall some time ago to find out if one of the restaraunts I was going to go to for the first time used MSG in their food. There was a female guest in front of me who became quite loud over the fact that the cast member wouldn't give her a GAC because she felt she deserved one. The cast member was most polite and explained to her that she could rent a wheelchair if she couldn't stand in line for long periods of time. The guest was quite incensed and literally stomped out of city hall.

BWthespian
10-09-2005, 10:14 PM
gah, despite what everyone has said,mind you there are still kids out there doing it illegally.

BWthespian
10-09-2005, 10:17 PM
and i apoligize for my ranting,im just trying to get the point acrosss to whomever will listen,so if any of you where to see what im talking about,you can chew them and scold them. and possibly kick them out because you know the stupid young people are ruining the park.

Pirate Princess
10-09-2005, 10:18 PM
ok you know how guys strengthened the rules to the special assistances passes(which ive only done like twice i admit lol)
Hard to understand.. but are you saying you've taken advantage of the Special Assistance Passes??? If so.. well ain't that the pot calling....

Pirate Princess
10-09-2005, 10:19 PM
and i apoligize for my ranting,im just trying to get the point acrosss to whomever will listen,so if any of you where to see what im talking about,you can chew them and scold them. and possibly kick them out because you know the stupid young people are ruining the park.

I want to be there on the day you chew out someone with autism and they kick your...:eek:

BWthespian
10-09-2005, 10:32 PM
the people i saw did not have autsm, this was at night,and i cherish my lungs so therefore ive never smoked.

Pirate Princess
10-09-2005, 10:37 PM
the people i saw did not have autsm, this was at night,and i cherish my lungs so therefore ive never smoked.
First of all.. Autism, spelt with an "I", has nothing to do with smoking. While still unsure of its cause (hereditary through genes, triggered by environmental factors, etc.) is a disability like Down Syndrome. I am not at all suggesting that these two disabilities are the same AT ALL, but they are similar as far as the person has certain behaviors, and learning or physical problems that can widely vary. Usually someone who is Autistic has no physical features which would make them identifiable as someone who has a disability.

Dexter
10-09-2005, 11:13 PM

Um, according to your profile, you're 17, wouldn't you qualify as a young person?

BWthespian
10-09-2005, 11:22 PM
well yah.....and i hate it

BWthespian
10-09-2005, 11:23 PM
enough of this lol you ppl are jerks

Shinku
10-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I'll throw in a nomination for this thread as "Flail of the week" :rolleyes: and second pretty much everything the rest of the padders here have said.

Cast members at City hall work very hard to ensure that special assistance cards are distributed accurately to those who have actual need, it is difficult to cheat the system anymore. Your call for cast members to "do something" is ironic in that they're already doing so much. Can you imagine all the B.S. they have to deal with all day? Trust me, those kids work their butts off.

Furthermore, we're not "jerks," We're counter-pointing your arguement. If you cannot take a calm point/counter-point discussion without resorting to name calling, perhaps the internet is not for you.

Just my two cents.

Chiidesu
10-10-2005, 12:15 AM
enough of this lol you ppl are jerks

jerk lololololol internet

10-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Moderator's note: Let's say it together ...

Attack the post, not the poster. Attack the post, not the poster. Attack the post, not ...

disneyhound
10-10-2005, 04:58 AM
enough of this lol you ppl are jerks You are forgiven for your series of insensitive remarks, you young person you... :(