PDA

View Full Version : Trip Planning Question

CNDKanga
10-09-2005, 05:57 PM
We will be visiting May 13th - 18th...husband, myself and 3 children (2,4,6). We have been twice before with the children and always stayed offsite. So, this year I have a budget of $6000CND.

If we stay at PP for accommedations, airfair ,transfers and 5 day park hopper the total is 3,600, that leaves 2400 for food etc.

DLH for accommedation, airfair, transfers and park hopper tickets is 3,900 that leaves 2100 for food etc.

DGC for accommedation, airfair, transfers and park hopper tickets is 4,375 that leaves 1624 for food etc

HoJo for accommedation, airfair, transfers, and park hopper tickets is 3000 that leaves 3000 for food etc.

So, what would you do? The kids are saving up their own money for the trip so they have their own spending money (about $80 each). In previous years we've spent about $1000 on food for the week and haven't bought souveniers (just a hat for the kids as we forgot ours at home). I am hoping to get a better deal in a few months if Alaska airlines brings out it's kids fly free but if not these are the numbers I have to work with.

Rhiannon8404
10-09-2005, 06:01 PM
If it were me, personally, I think I would opt for the Disneyland Hotel.

CNDKanga
10-09-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm leaning towards the DLH too...I think it would be fun for the kids and I'm such a disney nut it would truly be a dream come true. It does mean a loss of about $900 spending money over HoJo.

emmah
10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
We will be visiting May 13th - 18th...husband, myself and 3 children (2,4,6). We have been twice before with the children and always stayed offsite. So, this year I have a budget of $6000CND. So, what would you do?for what it's worth... since it is clearly within your budget, I would opt for the DLH also. PP is too far away, and the DGC would be (just my opinion!) wasted on the kids - it's so expensive and they are a bit too young to get the most out of your hard earned buck!). Personally I love Hojo's, but with 3 small kids, and with a budget that doesn't make it an issue, go for the DLH - the pools are lovely, there is pixie dust on the ceilings, and mickey is right there on site - and it's a shorter walk to the monorail at the end of a long day. I'd say that $2000 would be heaps for food and shopping. You're going to have a great time!!! :) :) :)

disneyhound
10-10-2005, 05:19 AM
We will be visiting May 13th - 18th...husband, myself and 3 children (2,4,6). We have been twice before with the children and always stayed offsite. So, this year I have a budget of $6000CND...So, what would you do? The kids are saving up their own money for the trip so they have their own spending money (about $80 each)...
Stay at the DLH. With three little ones, your budget makes that possible. By the way, how does a 2-year-old earn $80 in spending money? :D Can you imagine the thought process in a 2-years-olds mind in how best to spend their pocket mad-money? :p Maybe whatever Store Merchandize goes into their mouth! :eek:

julia
10-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi,

Another vote for staying at the Disneyland Hotel! Your kids will enjoy all of the Disney magic throughout the hotel, seeing all of the characters, love the fun pool.... They are at a great age for all of the Disney fun! Be sure to have your camera with you!

The Grand Californian is beautiful, but I agree that it is more adult-oriented. Paradise Pier is a long walk for the little legs of your angel babies.

Have a great day!
Julia

CNDKanga
10-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the input...looks like it will be the DLH. As for the spending money for the 2 year old...all 3 get a weekly allowance, some of it goes in the bank, some goes in the Disneyland savings box they each painted, and some is for spending. The two year old only gets Disneyland money and bank money. It is a great way for us to save money and budget spending money for the kids. The 4 year old wants to buy a princess dress, the 6 year old wants one of the hand-held fan things (and that's it!!).

SandraVB79
10-10-2005, 07:24 AM
What is HoJo???

Sometimes, I really can't figure out the letter combinations...

KRA0125
10-10-2005, 07:35 AM
What is HoJo???

Sometimes, I really can't figure out the letter combinations...

HOJO - HOWARD JOHNSONS ANAHEIM, RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE PARK . THAT IS WHERE WE USUALLY STAY, NICE ROOMS GOOD PRICE (YOU CAN GET A DISCOUNT BY GOING TO MOUSESAVERS.COM) AND THE WALK TO THE PARK IS NOT THAT BAD AT ALL, MAYBE 10 MINUTES, WHICH IS NO TIME AT ALL WHEN YOU ARE EXCITED TO SEE MICKEY!! WE CLOSED DOWN THE PARK LAST YEAR AND THE WALK BACK WAS NOT BAD EITHER CONSIDERING WE WERE BUSHED!

SandraVB79
10-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Thank you.

I stayed and will stay at Park Vue Inn, which is just across Disney (and I am sure it's closer to the gate than PP is!)
But of course, if I go to Disney, I do it in my European-style: I use every possible single minute to be IN the park, and don't care too much about accomodations of the hotel, such as pool or gym or so. I can always go to the gym at home (I pay my membership, but never go, so why would I go on vacation? haha!) or to the swimming pool here.

But I know Americans like that "resort"-vacation feeling :)

maryjeane
10-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I would opt for the DL hotel also. Since it's in your budget do it!! You'll still have plently for food, etc.

In my conversation with Alaska it did NOT sound like they'd be doing the Kids Fly free after the first of the year.

CNDKanga
10-10-2005, 08:13 AM
When it is just my husband and I it doesn't matter where we stay because we are in the parks the whole time and only at the hotel to sleep. However, with the kids we do spend a far bit of time at the hotel...swimming, napping etc. so it is important that we have a place with a decent pool, atmosphere etc.

Mark Mywords
10-10-2005, 10:02 AM
However, with the kids we do spend a far bit of time at the hotel...swimming, napping etc. so it is important that we have a place with a decent pool, atmosphere etc.

Well put. DLH is a great place to go back to for the all important afternoon nap!

myeager
10-10-2005, 10:20 AM
As if you really need another vote for the DLH. My husband and I were faced with this very same decision and opted for the DLH because our boys are 4 and 7 and all advice we could find was that the DLH was PERFECT for kids this age. The GC, from what I understand is more mountain lodged themed than Disney character themed.

Have a wonderful time.

Donald Duck Fan68
10-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Another vote for the DL Hotel. As others have said, PP is a little too far, GC is too spendy and more for adults than kids, while the DL Hotel provides the closeness, kid friendly extras, and other special touches that keep you immersed in the magic during your whole stay.

Incidently, I was trying to save some extra money for our 7 night stay by booking at the Anaheim Desert Inn, but my wife twisted my arm and just HAD to stay at the DLH, since we stayed there the last time and she fell in love with it. Since she talked me into splurging, I now couldn't be happier and am really looking forward to the time there. It just wouldn't have been the same staying off property. Sure, we'd have some extra money for food and souveniers, but it's the memories that I'll cherish the most when the trip is over, and the DLH has more "memory" opportunities.

sierranevada
10-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Another vote for the DLH! However, I do want to point out that the Monorail is scheduled to be down from an extensive refurb beginning in Jan. I have heard that it could be down all year. I personally like walking through DTD but if that walk might pose a problem with 3 kids, you might consider the GCH.

potcfan
10-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Normally my vote would be the GCH, but with 3 kids and almost $500 in savings I would go with the DLH. It's definitely more kid oriented, the rooms are larger (we loved the Sierra Tower), and if you need a break in the middle of the day the pools are wonderful. The only drawback to the DLH is the walk back from the park if the monorail is not running.

CNDKanga
10-10-2005, 07:39 PM
The DLH it is! I'm so excited! As for the monorail being down...no problem, we are a hiking/walking family and the kids have no problems walking (we'll probably bring a stroller for the 2 year old though but knowing her she'll want to walk like her big brother and sister!) Thanks so much for all the responses!

wendyroseville
10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
I would go for the Disneyland Hotel. We were just at Disneyland last week, and stayed at the Sheraton Anaheim. I know that prices have not dipped for the offseason very much this year, but in hindsight, I would go for a Disney property. Especially if you can get a deal.

vicbella2
10-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Having just stayed at GCH with 2 kids (4 & 7 years of age) for the first time ever, I can't see staying at any other hotel. My (thrifty) husband said it was so worth it to stay there.We had previously stayed at teh Tropicana and BW park place inn. He didn't quite understand why we had to stay at the GCH when it would be cheaper across the street. It was a family reunion and everyone else was staying at GCH, so he really had no choice. We got a room with a bunkbed and trundle so , we essentially had 4 beds in our room (a queen(1), Bunkbeds (2), and trundle under bunkbed (1)). Now I've never stayed at any other disney hotel but I've always wanted to stay at DLH since I was a little kid. However, with the possibiility of the monorail being down, I don't think my kids would like the trek back to DLH for afternoon swims at the hotel. On this past trip, it was so convenient to go back to the hotel for an afternoon swim at the GCH. We had no strollers so everyone had to walk back using their own 2 feet. As far as people saying it wasn't as kid oriented as DLH, my kids enjoyed the hotel a lot. We did the "grand quest" scavenger hunt and my niece did storytelling by the hearth. The pool may not be themed like peter pan at the DLH, but the slides are quite fun. We spent many hours there during our 5 day stay.

MouseFaninQueue
10-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Not sure where you are flying from CND Kanga but I just last minute booked our trip to DL for next week for a complete total of $3004.00.

That is flying me, my wife and my 3 year old daughter and our infant (lap no seat) from Prince George BC to LAX, staying offsite at the Castle Inn with all transfers to and from LAX, a 6 day park hopper and 7 nights accomodation.

We were able to go West Jet for airfare as it was $77 each person each way from PG to Vancouver and $109 each person each way from Vancouver to LAX.

If West Jet is an option you might want to check into piecing your trip together yourself.

CNDKanga
10-12-2005, 08:49 AM
We would be flying from Vancouver, B.C. to LAX. I tried pricing through westjet but it was even more expensive then Air Canada?! I find Alaska has good prices and usually they come out with the kids fly free (my youngest will have turned 2 by the time we leave so if we don't get the kids fly free we are paying for 5 seats). Thanks for the info though...I'll keep my eye on Westjet.

Rteneyck
10-12-2005, 02:39 PM
[. The 4 year old wants to buy a princess dress, the 6 year old wants one of the hand-held fan things (and that's it!!).[/QUOTE]

You can try to purchase souveniers at the Disney warehouse outlet. We did that a few weeks ago and some good deals on some sweatshirts and light up toys. Really saved us a quite a bit of money that we were able to use towards food. They also had some of the princess dresses there as well. The inventory changes a log though.