PDA

View Full Version : Dining suggestions for Thanksgiving DLR

tink360
10-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Breaking my lurking spell to ask for dining suggestions on Thanksgiving - my son & I are planning a trip over the holiday weekend. Is blue bayou a good option (if we can get reservations)? We've never tried the disneyland hotel buffet.
Suggestions anyone? Can hardly wait to visit disneyland again, & we will even be there for HMH!

Rhiannon8404
10-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Alas, we won't be at Disneyland for Thanksgiving this year, but have been the last several years. Our favorite is the Thanksgiving Buffet in the grand ballroom of the Disneyland Hotel. It's not cheap, I think it was $65 for adults/$15 for kids, but there is so much food. Like, everything you can imagine for Thanksgiving and then a lot more. I'm really disappointed we're not going this year. I intend to be back for it next year.

They don't really advertise it, but it does fill up kinda fast. You have to call the hotel for more information.

The best part of the whole thing is lots and lots of character interaction and almost no waiting.

MrsG
10-09-2005, 02:25 PM
We'll be doing Storytellers this year. Never disappoints.

tink360
10-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I had heard about the disneyland hotel buffet, but not storytellers. What is that?

MrsG
10-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Storytellers is the buffet/restaurant in the GCH. They have great food in a relaxed yet beautiful atmosphere. There are some characters there (usually Chip and Dale) but it is not the over-the-top chaos (IMO) usually associated with character meals. It is a much more grown up atmosphere, but kids seem to enjoy it as well.

TDBearGrrl
10-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Does Storyteller's do a special menu for Tgiving? Or is the regular buffet???

cstephens
10-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Both Catal in Downtown Disney and Napa Rose in the Grand Californian Hotel serve special menus on Thanksgiving. They don't usually release their menus until a few weeks beforehand, though.

a hyperbole
10-10-2005, 01:47 PM
We'll be doing Storytellers this year. Never disappoints.

My daughter and I went to Storytellers for Easter brunch and it was FABULOUS. I'd go just for their corn muffins... mmmmm.

If they're doing a Thanksgiving buffet, I really recommend it. Wow, now you've all got me thinking about doing Thanksgiving there. Hmmmm

tink360
10-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Storytellers is sounding wonderful, does anyone know what the usual attire is for these dinners at the different settings? We will be on vacation from out of town, so I'm not going to be terribly dressy & I'm sure my son (teenager) will be in jeans & sneakers.

10-11-2005, 05:46 AM
We will be on vacation from out of town, so I'm not going to be terribly dressy & I'm sure my son (teenager) will be in jeans & sneakers.

Sounds just fine. My teen daughters would be in jeans, too. For Thanksgiving dinner, I'd make 'em swap the t-shirt for a nicer shirt.

Remember that you and many others are on vacation from out of town and won't want to dress up.

geoffa
10-11-2005, 05:49 AM
Storytellers is sounding wonderful, does anyone know what the usual attire is for these dinners at the different settings? We will be on vacation from out of town, so I'm not going to be terribly dressy & I'm sure my son (teenager) will be in jeans & sneakers.

Storytellers is not a "dressy" place. Just dress casually and you'll be fine. Jeans, sneakers, Ts are all OK. Have a look at the restaurant section on here under disneyland restaurants. Whilst I can't track down a Thanksgiving menu for this year I believe the price is around $35 . This is what was on offer last year:
# Roasted breast of turkey with apple wood smoked ham
# Carved slow-cooked herb/pepper crust prime rib
# Char-grilled Atlantic salmon on oven-melted shallots and onions with chive sauce
# Creamy four-cheese tortellini, Alfredo style
# Sage dressing
# Yukon Gold smashed potatoes
# Fresh fall harvest vegetables with roasted butternut squash
# Chef Bills corn chowder soup
# Mixed fall greens with honey balsamic and buttermilk dressings
# Marinated fusilli pasta salad
# Fresh fruit cocktail salad
# Macaroni and cheese
# Mickey chicken nuggets
# Chef Jorge's Thanksgiving dessert selections
:fez:

Aussie MouseFan
10-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Does Storyteller's do a special menu for Tgiving? Or is the regular buffet???

My better half made reservations for us to eat at Storytellers in GCH for Thanksgiving, according to what she was told there is a special buffet for that day (and still at the usual price $27)

TDBearGrrl
10-11-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks Aussie!

I'll call today! :o)

10-11-2005, 06:28 AM
OMgosh, geoffa! Does that menu ever sound heavenly.

For anyone reading this who hasn't eaten an American Thanksgiving meal, wear a comfortable waistline. Leave the tight pants and controltop pantyhose in the suitcase. You are going to eat you some goooood food.

Promise to try pumpkin pie? If you haven't grown up with it, you might find the texture a little yucky. It's a soft pumpkin/cinnamon/clove custard in a pie crust.

geoffa
10-11-2005, 08:37 AM
OMgosh, geoffa! Does that menu ever sound heavenly.

For anyone reading this who hasn't eaten an American Thanksgiving meal, wear a comfortable waistline. Leave the tight pants and controltop pantyhose in the suitcase. You are going to eat you some goooood food.

Promise to try pumpkin pie? If you haven't grown up with it, you might find the texture a little yucky. It's a soft pumpkin/cinnamon/clove custard in a pie crust.

I'm a Brit and first had Pumpkin Pie in Half Moon Bay in CA. Fell in love with it. The only pumpkin we can get in the U.K. (apart from fresh in October) is tinned by Libby's. Not quite the same. I also love the way you guys do mashed potatoes and laeve the skins on (Try it with a cup of Jack Daniels beaten in!)
And as for THE best Thanksgiving meal I've had in USA. It was at Wilson World in Kissimmee. SERIOUSLY! But I agree Storytellers menu looks pretty darn good.:fez:

Aussie MouseFan
10-11-2005, 04:32 PM

mmmmmmmm, good pumpkin pie is to die for

tod
10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I also love the way you guys do mashed potatoes and laeve the skins on (Try it with a cup of Jack Daniels beaten in!)

Y'know what's even better? Leave out the potatoes. :D

And Jack Daniel's takes an apostrophe. Except for my Uncle Jack, who died a few years ago at age 93.

--t

Opus1guy
10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Another boring Opus story about the "old days" at the Disneyland Resort:

The old Monorail Cafe used to have the best fresh roasted turkey every day of the year. Every day they'd slow roast a couple of birds in these huge ovens back in the kitchen. It made for the greatest traditional turkey dinners and hot turkey sandwiches all year round! :)

So anyway, one Thanksgiving the family flies off to be with other family, but I have to stay behind as I'm working on a local project. Where can I have a good Thanksgiving dinner all by my lonesome? Ah yes! No brainer! The Monorail Cafe! Can always count on them for the best turkey around every day of the year!

Well...every day except Thanksgiving, apparently. :(

I get to the restaurant and order the regular turkey dinner like I have dozens of times before. They deliver it to my table and instantly I know something's not right. Instead of nice thick pieces of moist and delicious white and dark meats...it's an ugly looking pile of thinly sliced mostly brown meat. And dry as sandpaper. I complain. They send the Manager over. He's very apologetic. Seems that on Thanksgiving all the big birds that their ovens can handle are shipped out to various other locations that are hosting Thanksgiving dinners (such as the big hard-ticket one they have in the convention hall)...and the Monorail Cafe had to make due with this frozen packaged crud from some wholesale meat supplier! On this one day only, the Monorail kitchens did all the cooking but didn't get to keep any of those good birds for themselves!! Of all days to be stuck with bad bird! Grrrrrrrrr. :(

It was the absolute worst Thanksgiving dinner I ever had. It was such a disappointment and let-down. I could have done better with Swansons in the microwave!

Okay...my Thanksgiving at the Disneyland Resort story is over. You can have your thread back now. ;)

MrsG
10-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Opus, we mourn the loss of the Monorail Cafe and its turkey dinners quite often.:mad: Sorry about your lonely and bad Thanksgiving.

melmel
10-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Plz don't eat @ Blue Bayou. kthx.

If we are overbooked, I will have to stay longer or stress out. I hate DL holidays. :(

geoffa
10-12-2005, 01:34 AM
Not when it's a J D!