PDA

View Full Version : First Time on Haunted Mansion Holiday - Never Seen Nightmare Before Christmas

HydroGuy
10-08-2005, 11:16 AM
We will be doing a day trip to DLR in November, and I have never ridden HMH or seen the movie Nightmare Before Christmas. Will seeing the movie before I go improve the HMH ride?

DisneyDustin22
10-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I think either way is fine. Seeing the movie before you go on the ride will only make the ride more enjoyable because you'll feel more into the ride knowing who the characters are. But going on the ride before seeing the movie I think will only want to make you see the movie more. If that makes sense? :p

Wendi
10-08-2005, 11:27 AM
I think seeing the movie first will definitely make it more enjoyable!!! Go watch it!!!

Rhiannon8404
10-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I vote for trying to see the movie first. If you can't, you'll still enjoy the ride. But I think you'll appreciate it more if you've seen the film.

MrsG
10-08-2005, 02:33 PM
I've never been able to watch the movie all the way through yet I enjoy the HMH - not my favorite but good to see once or twice a year.

HydroGuy
10-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. About 10 years ago my wife rented NBC, but it did not look like my kind of movie so I skipped watching it. Now I am curious because of HMH. I guess I will have to rent it sometime soon.

Skellinton
10-08-2005, 04:38 PM
You should watch the movie simply because it is the best movie ever made!!!

I do think the ride would be more enjoyable if you knew the characters and the story though- I went with someone who had never seen the movie and they were a little confused by it all. I vote for watching the movie first!

Skellinton

jon80flt
10-08-2005, 05:11 PM
... it did not look like my kind of movie...

I know what you mean... it's a Musical Lovestory... but my girls have loved it since they were two, so I've been forced to watch it about 500 times... it's kinda grown on me... The bad guy, Ooogie-Boogie, is pretty cool!:eek:

Rhiannon8404
10-08-2005, 06:34 PM
I know what you mean... it's a Musical Lovestory... but my girls have loved it since they were two, so I've been forced to watch it about 500 times... it's kinda grown on me... The bad guy, Ooogie-Boogie, is pretty cool!:eek:

You know, I never really thought of it as a lovestory...the Jack/Sally thing was there, but I always just thought of it more as a dark comedy.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-08-2005, 07:59 PM
*Hanging head in shame* I have NEVER seen the movie.

Sandiegoboy
10-09-2005, 12:44 AM
I never thought of it as a love story.
Its a movie about Jack who realizes who he really is.

ArthurBang
10-09-2005, 06:50 AM
It's funny.. I always describe it as a love story too, and it's my favorite film of all time. A lot of people look at the characters and think it's going to be too scary, or dark, but it's actually quite a wonderful story.

In case anyone is interested, and since Disneyland is no longer doing the Nightmare screening, check out this year's first annual Nightmare Before Christmas festival. It's coming to Anaheim for 3 days in November. http://www.nbcfest.com/

SeattleRedBear
10-09-2005, 09:40 AM
We're taking a friend at the end of the month for her 50th birthday and loaned her the movie to watch before we go. I do think you'll get more out of it knowing the characters.

myeager
10-09-2005, 11:34 AM
I just had my mother-in-law get this as my son's 7th birthday gift. She just gave it to him yesterday and my boys have already watched it twice.

I need to make time to watch the whole thing instead of just listening while I take care of other stuff.

Anxiously awaiting all the attractions!!!

Vegitabeta
10-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Deffo watch the movie first! I think it'll give you better enjoyment.

ssturgeo
10-09-2005, 01:30 PM
I had never seen the movie...I LOVED it!!! It is only 76 minutes long (as per info on case) and well worth it!! Funny, sweet!! I wanted to see it before HMH

I have never been to Disney during the holidays (and I grew up in California!!) so am looking forward to my Nov. 12-20 trip and a new perspective on a familar and much loved park!!

Counting the days (34)!!

buzzzz
10-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I've never seen it. Is it age appropriate for a 3 and/or 5 year old (i.e. is it nightmare inducing)?

Rhiannon8404
10-10-2005, 10:08 AM
I've never seen it. Is it age appropriate for a 3 and/or 5 year old (i.e. is it nightmare inducing)?
I think it depends on your kids. My son saw it the first time when he was 4. He loved it. But then this is the kid who's seen all the Harry Potter and LOTR movies as the came out. He's only 7 now. He doesn't scare easily.

I think if you show a picture of some of the characters to your kids and ask them if they think they are funny and nice, and they say yes, let them see it. If they say no, they are scary...then skip it. I wouldn't ask them if they thought they were scary first, though, because you don't want to plant ideas. It's amazing how kids can become scared of things they weren't scared of before after hearing their parent say it's too scary for them.

vz9p57
10-10-2005, 10:42 AM
In case anyone is interested, and since Disneyland is no longer doing the Nightmare screening, check out this year's first annual Nightmare Before Christmas festival. It's coming to Anaheim for 3 days in November. http://www.nbcfest.com/

A little off topic - but does anyone have any more informatoin about this event? The site lists an email address info@nbcfest.com, but it bounces. I'm looking for how to buy tickets and any other information.

Thanks!

DianeM
10-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I hadn't seen the movie before I saw the overlay, and I still enjoyed it. In fact, the overlay inspired my husband and me to buy the movie and watch it. It's a great movie, and worth seeing repeatedly. I think, however, that seeing the movie would have made my first experience with the overlay more interesting.

We will be doing a day trip to DLR in November, and I have never ridden HMH or seen the movie Nightmare Before Christmas. Will seeing the movie before I go improve the HMH ride?

WITron
10-10-2005, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=buzzzz]I've never seen it. Is it age appropriate for a 3 and/or 5 year old (i.e. is it nightmare inducing)?[/QUOTE

I just watched it with my DD who is 3 and she liked it. I wasn't sure how she would react since she says that certain things are scary, but it did not affect her at all. I don;t know if she will want to go on HMH when we go in December. I would like to watch it with her a few more times before we go, so she will not be afraid of the characters and not be afraid to go on it.

TowerofTerror
10-10-2005, 09:27 PM
enjoy it

disneyhound
10-11-2005, 04:34 AM
You should watch the movie simply because it is the best movie ever made!!!This could lead to some serious debates, however, it is a GREAT movie, thank you TB. I too hope to experience HMH for the first time this year, we know the movie quite well, a holiday classic for us!

Doug
10-11-2005, 06:00 AM
Woah... I read "About 10 years ago my wife rented NBC", and thought "no way that movie has been out over 10 years..." Sure enough, I checked IMDB, and it came out in 1993:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/

Amazing... Time flies... so TAKE MORE PICS, you can not time travel back to take the ones you should of... I know...

Thanks for all the feedback. About 10 years ago my wife rented NBC, but it did not look like my kind of movie so I skipped watching it. Now I am curious because of HMH. I guess I will have to rent it sometime soon.

CrazyTrain
10-11-2005, 07:06 AM
The El Capitan is showing it at the end of the month.

I see the movie every year, so I know it but I still thought that HMH was better this year after I'd rewatched it.