PDA

View Full Version : Question About Matterhorn

Pages : [1] 2

Vlyger
10-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Hello. Can someone please tell me which track of the Matterhorn takes you across the "brick bridge" in front of the waterfall facing the submarine lagoon? Is it the track on the Fantasyland side or the track on the Tomorrowland side? Thanks!

TTFN92
10-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Sorry I can't help. I've never been able to figure out where I am on that ride. I always try to figure it out though but it goes too fast.

HorizonsA
10-06-2005, 11:17 PM
It's the Tomorrowland side. The rougher side.

Whittibo
10-07-2005, 06:21 AM
It's the Tomorrowland side. The rougher side.

WHAT??? One side is rougher then the other?? This makes since to me since I have been on it and it wasn't bad, but every time I have gone on it in the last couple trips I get off thinking I will never go on it again. And we ALWAYS use that line that comes up from the lagoon. :confused:

Oh, now I am going to have to try this out today. I hope it doesn't wrench my back like it did yesterday. I couldn't stand two days in a row of that. :(

TTFN92
10-07-2005, 03:17 PM
The Tomorrowland side is my favorite!

Whittibo
10-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I got in line for the "otherside" of the mountain today with my oldest and youngest daughters. Then after waiting in line and my sore back from the matterhorn the day before, I chickened out at the last minute and only sent my girls. My oldest said that side just seemed faster, but not less jerky. Glad I didn't go on it as I am looking at 7-8 hours drive home tomorrow, I don't need to make my back any worse then it already is. :s

MermaidHair
10-07-2005, 05:50 PM
And which side is it that has the Yeti? I seem to remember only one side had him...

Whittibo
10-07-2005, 05:59 PM
What's a Yeti? The abominal Snowman? Or something else?? If its the snowman, both sides have them.

Mickey Matt
10-07-2005, 06:43 PM
The Tomorrowland side is where you go under the bridge and the Fantasyland side is where you go over the bridge. Tomorrowland side is better but lately I seem to be enjoying the other. I think its a little smoother and it is definitley longer.

MrTomMorrow
10-07-2005, 07:19 PM
The Tomorrowland side used to have a sign over it that said "Faster" and the Fantasyland side had a sign that said "Slower." But this caused uneven lines, so eventually they changed it to what it is now, where they pretend that it's the same ride on both sides... which it is, visually... but the Tomorrowland side has tighter turns, goes a bit faster, and is rougher than the Fantasyland side, making it, in my opinion, much more thrilling.

Both sides have the Abominable Snowman/Yeti... now with cool color-changing eyes and other special effects!

Opus1guy
10-07-2005, 08:27 PM
One side is also a bit longer than the other. Don't recall which is which, though.

mkcbunny
10-10-2005, 01:31 PM
The Tomorrowland side used to have a sign over it that said "Faster" and the Fantasyland side had a sign that said "Slower." ...
Thanks for the info! I always wondered what the real differences were.

disneyhound
10-10-2005, 03:11 PM
The Tomorrowland side used to have a sign over it that said "Faster" and the Fantasyland side had a sign that said "Slower." But this caused uneven lines, so eventually they changed it to what it is now, where they pretend that it's the same ride on both sides... which it is, visually... but the Tomorrowland side has tighter turns, goes a bit faster, and is rougher than the Fantasyland side, making it, in my opinion, much more thrilling.

Both sides have the Abominable Snowman/Yeti... now with cool color-changing eyes and other special effects!
Thank you, that is a great summation!

qwiksliver1022
10-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Tomorrowland is supposedly longer. Going on the tomorrowlang side you'll see the snowman once, while on the fantasyland side you'll encounter him twice.

Noah
10-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Why has the Matterhorn not been built in WDW or any of the other Disney parks. I know they are building Destination Everest at the Animal Kingdom but I am wondering why the original Matterhorn has not been duplicated as have been SpaceMountain, ThunderMountain, Pirates, Splash, etc.

qwiksliver1022
10-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Not sure, I hear it's the only ride thats unique to Disneyland though. The others have all been copied, i think.

G-Ville Knee-Kill
10-12-2005, 11:23 AM
First of all, for those of you who like extra Yeti (like me), Fantasyland side has an additional Yeti towards the end with a flashing light. That side is also smoother but slower. I prefer Tland side because it throws you around more but most people dislike for that reason. But then again I love the yeti. But I don't know, Expedition Everest in Animal Kingdom looks like it's going to be awesome.

leotatoombs
10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Tomorrowland is supposedly longer. Going on the tomorrowlang side you'll see the snowman once, while on the fantasyland side you'll encounter him twice.I believe you see the snowman three times on both sides! the first encounter you can only see his red glowing eyes.
:D

robsmustang
10-12-2005, 11:30 AM
doesn't the yeti have a name i believe i heard somwhere his name was Harold

leotatoombs
10-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Why has the Matterhorn not been built in WDW or any of the other Disney parks. I know they are building Destination Everest at the Animal Kingdom but I am wondering why the original Matterhorn has not been duplicated as have been SpaceMountain, ThunderMountain, Pirates, Splash, etc.It has been rumored that they have been wanting to do another matterhorn or matterhorn like ride for the last twenty years! but because of the scale of things, this would not work as well at WDW's Magic Kingdom as it does at Disneyland until recently!!!
They finally can do something like it in DAK! I Can't wait for my 2006 trip there!!!

G-Ville Knee-Kill
10-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I believe you see the snowman three times on both sides! the first encounter you can only see his red glowing eyes.

No, you dont. You see his eyes on both sides, then both sides see him again. But Fantasyland side you see him one additional time right before the end. I just was on it last thursday and Friday. Now there was a flashing light too.

charpaul
10-12-2005, 02:22 PM
The Matterhorn was not built in the MagicKingdom - instead they have a similar ride that is called......

Space Mtn.!!!!!

Same type of track design and even similar trains/cars. It even has a left and right track in it. Both are gravity type coasters (as is the Space Mtn. in DL).

The idea was to not copy the ride from Disneyland but to create a new experience at the new park. The concept of a Space Mtn. was originally designed for Disneyland, but they decided to use the concept in FL first.

Opus1guy
10-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Why has the Matterhorn not been built in WDW or any of the other Disney parks. I know they are building Destination Everest at the Animal Kingdom but I am wondering why the original Matterhorn has not been duplicated as have been SpaceMountain, ThunderMountain, Pirates, Splash, etc.

There are many wonderful Imagineering artist concept paintings depicting a Matterhorn Mountain bobsled attraction at a proposed Switzerland Pavilion for Walt Disney World's Epcot, that have been floating around for decades now...stuck in blue skies. Several of these paintings have been published in various Disney rags.

tom522
10-13-2005, 12:03 AM

I used to work Matterhorn and Disney will not copy it because it was Walt Disney's FIRSTORIGINAL thrill ride. It is also the first steel coaster ever built
and the first coaster that had a computer system running it so you can run multiple vehicles on the same track at once. I remember when the Matterhorn had single bobsleds instead of the double bobsleds(pre 1978).
There are three abominable snowmen inside. The first one is seen from both tracks and then there is another toward the end of each side that only that side can see. Both tracks see the red eyes first BEFORE seeing the first monster. His name is Harold. There is also a tribute to Frank Wells inside as well. Frank Wells used to be the COO of the company before he died in a helicopter crash I believe in 1993. When you see the ice crystals there is a box of ski supplies that state on it WELLS EXPEDITION. A tribute to him because he loved to ski. The Tomorrowland side is a little faster and the Fantasyland side is longer by a whopping 6.5 seconds but how fast you go really depends on how much weight you have in the vehicle. A bobsled with 8 big football players in it is going to go a heck of alot faster than a bobsled with only four small kids in it. After you clear the lift its all down hill from there so the heavier the sled the faster you go. So remember that for next time when you choose NOT to ride with someone in the same seat then you probably wont be going that fast. THE MORE WEIGHT THE FASTER YOU GO!

Disneyland even used to have an accordian player stand on the mountain about 6 feet above you just as you are stopped and about to go into the mountain up the lift.

Opus1guy
10-13-2005, 03:34 PM
There is also a tribute to Frank Wells inside as well. Frank Wells used to be the COO of the company before he died in a helicopter crash I believe in 1993. When you see the ice crystals there is a box of ski supplies that state on it WELLS EXPEDITION. A tribute to him because he loved to ski.

While it is true that Frank Wells (onetime President & COO of Disney) did enjoy skiing, his real passion and the real reason for the Wells Expedition tribute in the Matterhorn...was not skiing, but mountain climbing. That's the reason for that tribute. Frank was also part of a very famous but ill-fated climb where several lost there lives. He was co-author of the national best seller "Seven Summits" (http://www.twbookmark.com/books/10/0446385166/) which was about the quest to be the first to climb the highest point on every continent, which he only missed by one as bad weather forced him down one day before reaching the summit of Everest.

There's a wonderful photo of him that's been published many times, climbing Disneyland's Matterhorn dressed in full lederhosen, looking up into the camera with the park spread out beneath him.

Disneyland even used to have an accordian player stand on the mountain about 6 feet above you just as you are stopped and about to go into the mountain up the lift.

They also used to have a couple of gentlemen that played those long traditional Swiss Alphorns on the mountain "stage" quite frequently. They let me play once backstage while on a break. It's just like working a trumpet. Gotta vibrate those lips! :) They also had yodelers perform on occasion with the accordion guy.