PDA

View Full Version : Resort Fees

Pages : [1] 2

kiwifuz
10-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to...:

How much are the "resort fees" per day for the disney owned hotels?

We're thinking about staying at one for our trip and expedia has the hotels available it looks like. I have read however that resort fees are tacked on at the hotel, so I'm just kind of curious what those are? We're looking at staying at the Paradise Pier hotel if that makes a difference fee wise.

thanks!!

Wendi
10-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I believe they are $11 or $12 a night.

Opus1guy
10-06-2005, 01:37 PM
At the Disneyland Hotel it's $11.50 a day. This includes parking for 2 cars, health club access, local calls, internet. Maybe something else I don't recall. Don't know if it's the same at all Disney properties. Just don't recall the others' right now.

going2disneyAZ
10-06-2005, 03:08 PM
GCH is also 11.50 and includes the above.

kiwifuz
10-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the info, i'll assume the price is probably pretty close if not the same then. :)

chinamama
10-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Actually 10.00 + 15% tax soooo you are correct $11.50

You also get a newspaper delivered to your door.

I seem to remember reading or being told you can refuse all the perks, if you are not parking a car and not pay the fee, but of course they don't want you to know that ;)

disneyhound
10-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Actually 10.00 + 15% tax soooo you are correct $11.50

You also get a newspaper delivered to your door.

I seem to remember reading or being told you can refuse all the perks, if you are not parking a car and not pay the fee, but of course they don't want you to know that ;)
Wow, a newspaper for $11.50, sign me up Scottie...

Osky
10-07-2005, 10:08 AM
The fee also covers local and toll-free calling from your in-room phone. If you could do this, would they block you from using the phone?

disneyhound
10-07-2005, 10:13 AM
The fee also covers local and toll-free calling from your in-room phone. If you could do this, would they block you from using the phone?
Even better, a newspaper and free use of their phone for toll-free calling, all for $11.50. Just another way to bleed us dry... I think I have an attitude; we will stay across the street and use our cell phone, thank you.:p

Osky
10-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Fee includes:

A newspaper delivered to your room.
Local and toll-free phone access.
Cost for maintaining self-parking lots.
Wi-Fi access in the common areas.
Wired high-speed internet in the rooms.
Up-keep of common areas in the hotel.
Use of the fitness center.

Osky
10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Even better, a newspaper and free use of their phone for toll-free calling, all for $11.50. Just another way to bleed us dry... I think I have an attitude; we will stay across the street and use our cell phone, thank you.:p

They could always just charge $10.00 more per room. They do this to keep the funds seperate for accounting reasons.

disneyhound
10-07-2005, 11:10 AM
They could always just charge $10.00 more per room. They do this to keep the funds seperate for accounting reasons.

Is this some true insight you are offering into DL Hotel accounting? Most hotels market their rates to assure a certain level of capacity. By separating a “resort fee” from a room rate, the price is lowered in an attempt to meet the consumer’s price cap. The “resort fee” is a marketing tool. Accountants with computers can allocate resources to cover costs of various expenses, a separate fee is not really required.

DianeM
10-07-2005, 11:24 AM
In other words, it's a scam to get more money out of people. A quoted rate of $150/night turns off less people than a quoted rate of $160/night. By tacking on various surcharges to the $150 after the customer has stayed at the hotel, they can get more customers AND get more money. Heck - most people don't even look closely at the final bill. They are busy worrying about traffic or making a flight. Don't think I'm accusing Disney of unscrupulous practices - other hotels do the same thing, and Disney would be at a competitive disadvantage if they didn't.

Is this some true insight you are offering into DL Hotel accounting? Most hotels market their rates to assure a certain level of capacity. By separating a “resort fee” from a room rate, the price is lowered in an attempt to meet the consumer’s price cap. The “resort fee” is a marketing tool. Accountants with computers can allocate resources to cover costs of various expenses, a separate fee is not really required.

Osky
10-07-2005, 11:39 AM
No, by keeping the fees flexible, they have the advantage of adding or subtracting different amenities, and adjusting the resort fee up or down to compensate. It probably has more to do with the rate system, and the ease, or lack thereof, of adjusting rates. Disney sets their rates for the year, and if they choose to add a new amenity (such as internet access), then they do not need to change the rate structure. It would be a scam if they didn't tell you about it. I have stayed at an on-property hotel at least four times a year for the past three years, and they have never failed to notify me of the fee upon booking. They told me when I made the reservation, it was printed on the confirmation, and they told me at check-in. If it truly was a scam, then they wouldn't pre-notify you and surprise you when you get there.

disneyhound
10-07-2005, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't label the "resort fee" a "scam". Nor an "adjustment tool" to cover unforeseen expenses or amenity additions. It is what it is, a fee above and beyond your nightly book rate. A lot of hotels do it. Consumer be aware!!

JP1
10-07-2005, 02:06 PM
In other words, it's a scam to get more money out of people. A quoted rate of $150/night turns off less people than a quoted rate of $160/night. By tacking on various surcharges to the $150 after the customer has stayed at the hotel, they can get more customers AND get more money. Heck - most people don't even look closely at the final bill. They are busy worrying about traffic or making a flight. Don't think I'm accusing Disney of unscrupulous practices - other hotels do the same thing, and Disney would be at a competitive disadvantage if they didn't.
Think about this though, parking on Disney property costs $10 per car per day, then add up 10 phone calls at 10 cents per minute, then add high speed internet usage which I have seen cost up to $10 dollars per hour at some hotels and the cost of a newspaper $1.50 on a Sunday, and you are already at $22.50. $11.50 doesn't seem so bad now does it. Hell, the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel charges you something like $17.00 per night for parking.

Osky
10-07-2005, 02:12 PM
I've paid $28 for parking at hotels in Seattle.

To be fair, you can drop $1.00 off your estimate because they only give you a paper on weekdays. ;)

Minnie66
10-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Think about this though, parking on Disney property costs $10 per car per day, then add up 10 phone calls at 10 cents per minute, then add high speed internet usage which I have seen cost up to $10 dollars per hour at some hotels and the cost of a newspaper $1.50 on a Sunday, and you are already at $22.50. $11.50 doesn't seem so bad now does it. Hell, the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel charges you something like $17.00 per night for parking.
When we stayed at the Hilton, they charged us $18.00 per day to park. Had no clue about it either until we checked out, after 7 days you can imagine I was shocked.

Opus1guy
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
I think they are often a cheap trick played upon a mostly unsuspecting and overly-compliant public.

I think they are a downright scam if you are not allowed to "op-out."

Forcing you to purchase what is in effect an "additional incidentals" bundle is wrong. IMHO.

I once fought the Westin Maui over a Resort Fee they would not withdraw. I neither wanted nor needed a single thing in the Resort Fee bundle. All of which would have been additional incidental charges at any other hotel. They were in effect forcing me to pay for incidental charges for services I had no intention of using. They would not let me check in unless I accepted the Resort Fee. I checked in under protest and then went to work on it with hotel management, who finally agreed to make an "exception" for me. Uh-huh. Thanks for nothing.

But if the hotel makes it an option...I have no problem with bundled additional amenity packages. As long as it's my choice to purchase it or not.

DianeM
10-07-2005, 02:57 PM
I never use the internet when I go to Disneyland (I go there to escape from real life - why take it with me?). I do generally have a car, but if I stayed in a resort I probably wouldn't have one, since everything is on site (including the park). Regardless, the non-resort motels across from DL don't charge for parking. The only places I've ever been charged for parking were big city hotels with very little parking space. At all other hotels it was included in the room price. My husband and I have cell phones with plenty of coast to coast free minutes. I don't read the paper when I'm on vacation (see above).

I expect the rates I pay at a hotel to be the rates I read about in advertisements or in AAA books, not the rates plus a fee for amenities that I either expect to be included in the rate or don't need. If I really want wireless service, then I'll stay at a hotel that has it and pay extra for the room. Next thing you know they're going to be charging extra for the pool, the maid service, and clean towels in the room.

Osky
10-07-2005, 03:03 PM
I expect the rates I pay at a hotel to be the rates I read about in advertisements or in AAA books, not the rates plus a fee for amenities that I either expect to be included in the rate or don't need.

Likewise, I expect the rates that I pay for airline tickets to be the rates I read about in advertisements and the rates quoted by travel services. Low an behold, they tack on an airport fee, and a security fee. What's that all about? Why couldn't it be in the fare?

Minnie66
10-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I expect the rates I pay at a hotel to be the rates I read about in advertisements or in AAA books, not the rates plus a fee for amenities that I either expect to be included in the rate or don't need. If I really want wireless service, then I'll stay at a hotel that has it and pay extra for the room. Next thing you know they're going to be charging extra for the pool, the maid service, and clean towels in the room.[/QUOTE]

I agree that at the DLH when we book and check in we were made aware of the resort fee, unlike at the Hilton, which is right around the corner. I guess the only choice consumers have is to check these things out where they stay and not stay there if you disagree with what they charge. When we stayed at the Hilton and I found out about the added cost I wasn't mad at the hotel, I was mad at myself. I should have simply asked the question "is parking free or is there a charge". I didn't know at the time, but apparently there is usually a charge at most hotels in California.

DianeM
10-07-2005, 04:25 PM
They may tell you about the fees when you book, or more often when you check in (when it's too late to find another hotel), but I like to compare prices on-line, and it's annoying when I have to call every hotel I am considering to find out if there are any additional fees. I suspect that more often, people decide what hotel they will stay at based on published rates, and by the time they call and find out about the extra fees, they are emotionally committed to that hotel and simply accept the fees. I guess I stay at a different kind of hotel than you do, beceause most times I stay in a hotel there is no parking fee. The only exception I can recall is in Hawaii. The hotels we stayed at on Waikiki Beach charged $10/day for parking. The hotel we stayed at on Hilo included parking for free. There is NEVER an excuse for the hotel to give you a parking pass and not tell you that parking on-site is going to cost you extra so that you have the option of finding an alternative (if there is one). For that matter, there is never an excuse for them to charge you for anything without providing you with information about the charges in advance. I think we as consumers have gotten so used to the little games that the travel industry plays that we assume that it's okay. Imagine if you went to a restaurant and found out after you ate that they were adding $2 to your bill for parking in their lot. You would be furious. Why should hotels be any different?

I agree that at the DLH when we book and check in we were made aware of the resort fee, unlike at the Hilton, which is right around the corner. I guess the only choice consumers have is to check these things out where they stay and not stay there if you disagree with what they charge. When we stayed at the Hilton and I found out about the added cost I wasn't mad at the hotel, I was mad at myself. I should have simply asked the question "is parking free or is there a charge". I didn't know at the time, but apparently there is usually a charge at most hotels in California.[/QUOTE]

DianeM
10-07-2005, 04:29 PM
That is a scam too. They bait you with a given fare, then switch you to a higher fare by charging "fees". Car Rental companies do it too. So do car dealers. But just because a lot of companies do it doesn't make it right. It's bait and switch any way you look at it.

Likewise, I expect the rates that I pay for airline tickets to be the rates I read about in advertisements and the rates quoted by travel services. Low an behold, they tack on an airport fee, and a security fee. What's that all about? Why couldn't it be in the fare?

Osky
10-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Is tax a scam to? Often the tax is not advertised.