PDA

View Full Version : Impact of conventions on attendance

MermaidHair
10-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Do the conventions in Anaheim make a huge difference in park attendance or just a moderate one? We are planning on going the first week of March (after POTC closes :( ) for DD's B-day. I noticed on the convention calendar that there are a couple of 10K+ sized conventions in town at the time. Part of me thinks that they should bump park attendace to moderate levels or should I be fearing the worst? I mean those attendees will probably visit the park but they DO have other items on their agendas. . .

Darkbeer
10-05-2005, 06:22 PM
It depends on the convention...

Something like next month's Cheer and Dance convention will have a BIG impact, as it is mostly families....

The Big West Basketball Tourney will bring in lots of guests, and folks will be visiting from out of town to watch the games, and will have free time.

Something like the Printed Circuits expo, or the Flooring Expo should have less impact. These types of conventions usually have a bigger impact on Downtown Disney, as places like the House of Blues and the ESPN Zone could be closed for Private Parties. (Basically business folks without families).

MermaidHair
10-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks Darkbeer. As always you are a font of information!

adriennek
10-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Every year I attend a 20 - 25K person convention over a weekend. The local hotels and motels get absolutely sold out Thursday through Sunday. The Hilton is frequently overbooked that weekend. The Marriot is sold-out. The local motels are filled and often the convention speakers are housed at the Paradise Pier Hotel. It's a big convention.

And most of the people don't go to Disneyland at all. But frequently in advance of that weekend people are on the boards wondering why the motels are all booked up, etc.

Adrienne

christina
10-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Convention calender? How do you find that?

Darkbeer
10-05-2005, 07:17 PM
http://www.anaheimoc.org/convcalendar/index.cfm

eryn
10-06-2005, 12:45 PM
On the convention list it says that feb 1-7 there is some kind of teachers convention. anybody know how i find out if kids are out during that week?

Rhiannon8404
10-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Wow, interesting stuff going on while we are there...

Nov 12-13 Cheer/Dance competitions
Nov 14-16 Automotive Oil Change Assn. (that's got to be a riot!)

adriennek
10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
On the convention list it says that feb 1-7 there is some kind of teachers convention. anybody know how i find out if kids are out during that week?

I seriously doubt it. It's "just" a convention of English teachers. They'll probably just get substitutes to come to it. Students in California rarely get entire days off for teacher inservices anymore; those are usually minimum days.

Adrienne

Lani
10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow, interesting stuff going on while we are there...

Nov 12-13 Cheer/Dance competitions
Nov 14-16 Automotive Oil Change Assn. (that's got to be a riot!)You're missing Blizzcon. Oh well. I don't know how I'd feel about seeing a bunch of grown-up gamers showing up at to the park wearing their night elf costumes. LOL.

eryn
10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
I seriously doubt it. It's "just" a convention of English teachers. They'll probably just get substitutes to come to it. Students in California rarely get entire days off for teacher inservices anymore; those are usually minimum days.

Adrienne
I hope so. thanks for that.

Biscuit
10-06-2005, 07:11 PM
You're missing Blizzcon. Oh well. I don't know how I'd feel about seeing a bunch of grown-up gamers showing up at to the park wearing their night elf costumes. LOL.

I had to book a couple of extra nights at the Hojo the weekend (when we fly in) of Blizzcon and I had no problems. I was quite surprised.