PDA

View Full Version : Should I renew using my AP discount, or buy a NEW AP? - October 2005 version

Darkbeer
10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
This is for folks who will have to renew under the new Annual Passholder Prices effective September 2nd, 2005.

I just checked the math in regards to which is better, to renew with a discount, or letting it expire, and get a new AP on the next visit.

If we are talking about a $349 Premium pass, that will be discounted $20 dollars to $329, the cost is 90.137 cents per day, which makes it 22 days worth with the new price.

Therefore for example, if your pass expires 12/1/05, and you would plan to go prior to December 23rd, then you will want to renew. But if you weren't planning to return until sometime in 2006, then you will want to let your old pass expire, and purchase a new pass when you return, say February 14th. You pay $349, but you will get an new expiration date of 2/14/07.

With the Deluxe at $209, and $20 off, that makes it $189, and 51.78 cents per day, and therefore, 38 days. So this time, if you would go anytime in the first 38 days after the current expiration date, then renew, otherwise let it expire.

A deluxe with parking, it is 30 days.

Since the SoCal or SoCal Select does NOT offer a discount for renewing, of course, just let the old pass expire and just get a new one on your next visit after the old one expired.

So, let's recap.

If you are a SoCal holder, or a SoCal select, DON'T renew!

A Deluxe holder should renew if they plan to go within 38 days of the expiration date.

A Deluxe with Parking should renew if they plan to go within 30 days.

A Premium AP holder should renew if they plan to go within 22 days.

Rhiannon8404
10-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for posting this! We had already decided to let our passes expire after our trip this November as we won't make it back until next spring sometimes. But it's good to see the numbers.

Osky
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
If you are not going to the park within the benefit window, you might still want to renew if you absolutely have to have whatever the special renewal-only card is at that time... ;)

That being said, I have yet to see a card that special!

Rhiannon8404
10-05-2005, 05:00 PM
If you are not going to the park within the benefit window, you might still want to renew if you absolutely have to have whatever the special renewal-only card is at that time... ;)

That being said, I have yet to see a card that special!

Yeah, it was a brief temptation to have at least one of us renew to get the 50th card, but then we came to our senses.

Mommy2NicknMax
10-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Very dumb question here but I must ask it. My DAP expires 12/8/05. If I renew early, by mail, will the expiration date change to the date I renewed? Or will it be 12/8/06? Also, if it's 12/8/06, do I start using that pass right away or the old one until it expires. I know I am making this way more difficult than it is. :rolleyes:

Also, Darkbeer, thank you for this information! Very helpful stuff!

Darkbeer
10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Very dumb question here but I must ask it. My DAP expires 12/8/05. If I renew early, by mail, will the expiration date change to the date I renewed? Or will it be 12/8/06? Also, if it's 12/8/06, do I start using that pass right away or the old one until it expires. I know I am making this way more difficult than it is. :rolleyes:

Also, Darkbeer, thank you for this information! Very helpful stuff!

If you renew by mail, you will keep the expiration date (Month and Day), so yes, 12/8/06, even if you mail it on November 10th.

You will use your old pass until the new one arrives. Since their is a delay in the mail, you might have problems at the Main Gate, as your old AP won't work once the new AP is printed. If this happens to you, just explain it to the CM, they will be able to see the valid date printed on the AP, and normally will say OK. I kept a copy of my actual renewal notice in my pocket as back up for those few days. If they give you problems at the turnstiles, just go to Guest Service, which will print you a special ticket to get in that day.

Now, let's say you went to the park on December 15th, and wanted to get an new AP. More than likely, they will offer you the renewal price, but if you take the discount, they will BACK date your AP to 12/8.

Hope that helps.

Mommy2NicknMax
10-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Darkbeer, Thank you very much for answering my questions. :)

TowerofTerror
10-05-2005, 08:26 PM
great help on here

fredc
10-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Don't forget, If you are a senior citizen you get a $20.00 discount on the premium passport whic is a good reason not to renew.

drew1house
10-06-2005, 11:50 AM
If you get caught as we did where they upped the price right before a trip you would loose... If we had renewed 2.5 months before it still would have been worth it.

Drew