PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim to Vegas

NoCalDad
10-05-2005, 01:32 PM
We have to drive from Disneyland/Anaheim area to Las Vegas on the before Thanksgiving (WED. 11/23). Any tips on what route is fastest or how to avoid traffic on this busy travel day? What time should we leave? Is there a break after morning rush hour or is it going to be bad all day?

Thanks much for any help.

Mrs. Newseditor44
10-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Go in the morning! Traffic anywhere is awful that day especially after lunch. The shortest route to get to the 15 (which takes you all the way to LV) is the 91. So take the 91 East to I 15 North. It will take you normally 5 hours from Orange County to Las Vegas but being the day before Thanksgiving, you may be looking at a longer trip.

tod
10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Pace yourself. It's gonna be a long, crowded drive.
Bring water for yourselves, and the car.
Never buy gas in Baker. However, the Wills Fargo convenience store has several racks of coupons you can use in Las Vegas, and Bun Boy is a pretty good restaurant (although The tod Family prefers The Mad Greek across the street -- no tipping and the giros sandwich is excellent.) There are also a few chain restaurants if you don't feel daring.
Never use the bathrooms at the 76 station in Baker. Just don't.
PM me for the URL of a Las Vegas information site. It's on a Web page I don't feel comfortable linking to from here, if you know what I mean, and I think you do, but this page is G-rated.

--t

uvsc_wolverine
10-05-2005, 02:01 PM
I just wanted to reinforce what tod said about the bathroom at the 76 station in Baker - that was just scary!

Andrew
10-05-2005, 02:09 PM
While we're at it, never ever ever stop at this 76 station (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Merced,+CA&ll=37.246506,-121.084979&spn=0.007643,0.012027&t=h&hl=en) at I-5 and CA-140. It haunts me to this very day.

TikiGeek
10-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Pace yourself. It's gonna be a long, crowded drive.I'll second that! If possible, leave before 4:00 or 5:00am - Yea I know it's early but it gets very slow on I-15 that Wednesday - you want to get ahead of the crowd. If there's an accident anywhere on I-15 or snow on the Cajon Pass :eek: You could be talking about a 8-10 hour trip - Yikes!

sand20go
10-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Yup. Will be VERY crowded that day and there is really no other way to go than the 91 to the 15 to Las Vegas. We rarely stop in Baker (usually Barstow and Stateline- hitting the outlet malls at both for some leg stretching).

lauramaynot
10-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I live in Boulder City and do the vegas/anaheim trip all the time. My personal favorite is the 15 to the 210 to the 57 (obviously flip it to come here) yahoo maps says this is the shortest route not sure about daytime traffic since we are always on it early in the AM or late PM. We can usually do it in just under 5 hours I agree with staying away from baker. Fuel up in Victorville or Barstow. Last month gas was cheeper in victorville by about 7 cents. Stop there to stretch legs/get gas. There are also some places you can get off the 15 to take side roads when there are accidents/traffic/construction.

Darkbeer
10-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I was going to mention the 210 to the 57, much of the trip has carpool lanes, and is a much less crowded drive (except for a small part where the 60 and 57 become one freeway for a few miles, construction is happening).

jrad32
10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm lucky because I live in LV, so when I leave for DL on a Friday the traffic is not bad heading south, heading north however is horrible. Then when I come back to LV from SoCal north isn't bad traffic, but all the Californians leaving LV make south a bear.

There is another way you may want to consider. My inlaws drive through Death Valley to avoid the I-15 traffic. This is a longer drive distance wise, but not timewise to I-15 on a busy travel day. Plus you get some nice scenary. Basically it takes you through Death Valley and into Pahrump, Nevada, which is about 40 miles southwest of LV.