PDA

View Full Version : Spending Money In DL

Pages : [1] 2

BalooNumberTwo
10-04-2005, 07:48 PM
What is the safest way to carry your money around....Should you carry cash? Are Debit cards accepted? Credit Cards? Just curious from everybody's experience on spending Mickey's favorite kind of cheese.

TowerofTerror
10-04-2005, 07:50 PM
too much money

Whittibo
10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I have found that credit/debit are accepted at almost EVERY place.. but you will need cash. For instance, the parking garage is $10 a day.. CASH.. and if you want Churros.. they only take cash.

I carry a little fanny pack with my credit card, annual passes, camera, tylenol and cash. I have had to get extra cash since I got here too.

rentayenta
10-04-2005, 07:52 PM
D. all of the above :D

BalooNumberTwo
10-04-2005, 08:29 PM
How much cash? Do the ATM's charge a "happiest place on earth" 2.50 for using them?

Pirate Princess
10-04-2005, 08:41 PM
I heard a great tip once:

Use your Credit card to buy Disney Dollars.. that way no ATM fee. Just be sure to save your receipt so you can switch the Disney Dollars back to "real" dollars.
Does anyone know if this is still possible?

(PS- I don't recommend this if you have a huge problem with debt... I pay my credit card off every month in full and only use it because I like the protection it provides that cash or ATM cards seem to lack.)

Opus1guy
10-04-2005, 09:48 PM
In my experience, Disney makes it easy to make contributions to them by any acceptable form of payment media.

Whittibo
10-05-2005, 05:55 AM
I had $100 with me when I left, and so did my husband. I had to take out another $100 but I think I still have $83 left, and hubby should have at least $70. I have been paying the $10 parking daily, paying for the snacks/drinks/water and don't forget tips. I do put everything on my credit card, but do leave tips on the table.

The ATM I used was in the Target across the street, and I was charged $1.50, but the stupid thing is, my bank charged me another $1 because I used it.

I wouldn't worry about losing it or it getting stolden or anything. I just don't like carrying around a ton of cash.. I don't even have a clue why?! But in the broad scope of the whole trip. A $2.50 ATM charge is a very small cost. ;)

gerry
10-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Rule of Thumb

Take half the clothes and twice the money.

stan4d_steph
10-05-2005, 06:27 AM
You will need some cash, as was posted above. The outdoor vending carts don't take charge cards or debit. If you park a car, you will need cash.

Otherwise, I typically charge.

Whittibo
10-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Rule of Thumb

Take half the clothes and twice the money.

Boy isn't that the truth. I haven't worn 3/4 of my clothes, but needed more money! :(

Mermaid
10-05-2005, 10:00 AM

Use your Credit card to buy Disney Dollars.. that way no ATM fee. Just be sure to save your receipt so you can switch the Disney Dollars back to "real" dollars.

(PS- I don't recommend this if you have a huge problem with debt... I pay my credit card off every month in full and only use it because I like the protection it provides that cash or ATM cards seem to lack.)
Yep- we did this two weeks ago. The only place we found that wouldn't take it was Taste Pilot's Grill because of their automated ordering. We actually wrote a check for them, but you could also use your debit card or credit card. I don't know if ODV takes them- I assume they do? We also did not know if anyone in DTD took them, so we didn't try!!

hlbtimes2
10-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Yep- we did this two weeks ago. The only place we found that wouldn't take it was Taste Pilot's Grill because of their automated ordering. We actually wrote a check for them, but you could also use your debit card or credit card. I don't know if ODV takes them- I assume they do? We also did not know if anyone in DTD took them, so we didn't try!!

World of Disney and the Marceline candy shop would both take them, as they are Disney owned stores. The rest of the places are not Disney, and wont take them.

garrett240
10-05-2005, 11:52 AM

Good idea! Where do you buy the Disney Dollars?

I'm learning so much on this boards and getting tons of good ideas..Thanks!

Oh yeah..another question..Can you buy Disney Dollars (and Hopper passes) at the Disney Store in the Brea Mall? My folks live near Brea, so I thought we would go on Tuesday to buy the tickets, autograph books, ect and then be ready t roll when we go on Wednesday.

Pirate Princess
10-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Not sure about Brea mall, but there is a bank in DL that you can exchange them at. When you first go into DL go right. It's next to the Lincoln/50 years theater

MLM62486
10-08-2005, 04:25 AM
Good idea! Where do you buy the Disney Dollars?

I'm learning so much on this boards and getting tons of good ideas..Thanks!

Oh yeah..another question..Can you buy Disney Dollars (and Hopper passes) at the Disney Store in the Brea Mall? My folks live near Brea, so I thought we would go on Tuesday to buy the tickets, autograph books, ect and then be ready t roll when we go on Wednesday.

The Disney Stores in the malls are no longer affiliated with the Disneyland Resort so you can't get Disney Dollars there. You can get them at the World of Disney but only at ONE of the cash register stations. You can buy them at the registers in the room where the mugs are and there is a Fantasia Mural behind it. You can buy AP's at WOD too, and you can try getting the hopper passes there as well.

hlbtimes2
10-08-2005, 06:39 AM
The Disney Stores in the malls are no longer affiliated with the Disneyland Resort so you can't get Disney Dollars there. You can get them at the World of Disney but only at ONE of the cash register stations. You can buy them at the registers in the room where the mugs are and there is a Fantasia Mural behind it. You can buy AP's at WOD too, and you can try getting the hopper passes there as well.

That is incorrect. They are no longer owned by Disney, but they are still affiliated. You can purchase tickets and disney dollars in the stores. Occasionally they are out of stock, but usually you can get them there.

MLM62486
10-09-2005, 04:20 AM
That is incorrect. They are no longer owned by Disney, but they are still affiliated. You can purchase tickets and disney dollars in the stores. Occasionally they are out of stock, but usually you can get them there.

My manager told me that they didn't, but hey that's good to know. They tell us to say that they aren't affiliated with the Disney Store anymore. We don't take the gift cards, the merchandise can't be returned there, nothing. The tickets being sold there I can understand though.

hlbtimes2
10-09-2005, 06:26 AM
This is going to be very confusing- they are not affliated with the Disney Store any more. The Disney Store is the catalog that you can order from and purchase on line. That is still owned by Disney. But Disney and Childrens Place (the new owner of the Disney shops in the malls) still have a business relationship, so you can purchase Disney dollars and park tickets in the stores. To make matters more confusing, you can purchase a gift card at the park to use in the park- it is different then the one sold to use at the mall stores. They are not interchangable. These ownership changes took place last fall.

Anyway, as of the end of July I know for a fact you could still purchase Disney dollars and tickets. It maybe something they phase out.

experiment626
10-09-2005, 11:06 AM
I use my CC for everything I can and bring $20 cash per day for things that don't take CC. Of course if you have to pay for parking or now you will be buying a lot of popcorn or churros you might want to plan for more $$.

mkcbunny
10-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Boy isn't that the truth. I haven't worn 3/4 of my clothes, but needed more money! :(
Is there ever really "enough money" on a trip? I mean, couldn't we all spend whatever we took? :)

disneyhound
10-09-2005, 01:07 PM
When we travel for our 5-day DL vacation we like to take some cash, about $200, but have $500 or so in Travelers Checks. All the stores in DL take TC's. We have never had a problem cashing in some TC's at the hotel lobby. We like to use the credit cards for emergency only, hate the shock of credit card bills, "I spent how much??" :p

pirateabbie
10-09-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree. Traveller's Checks are very handy and they can be replaced if lost or stolen.

truesally
10-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Anyway, as of the end of July I know for a fact you could still purchase Disney dollars and tickets. It maybe something they phase out.
I happened to ask our mall Disney store just this past Friday about getting Disney dollars - the cashier gave me a very positive & pleasant "Oh yes!" I guess I'd better get my kids in there asap just in case, though!

annieb727
10-09-2005, 08:12 PM
we're doing traveller's checks too...and remember if you have a AAA membership, you can get them for FREE!!