PDA

View Full Version : Pre Trip Report

gerry
10-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi Everyone,
We leave for DLR this Friday and will be home next Monday. This is what I imagine we will be doing.

Fri.-Shortly after 8:00am our Amtrak train leaves Modesto. It is a very laid back and comfortable journey through California's Central Valley. We munch on snacks from home as we glide towards Bakersfield. We switch to an Amtrak bus which takes us to the classic and historic Union Train Station in L.A. We have a delicious lunch in the cafe. I was tempted to walk the block to Olvera St. but DH and I stayed in the station. Back on the train and two stops to Anaheim. Our cab is waiting and it's only a couple of miles to the GCH. It took only a little longer than I expected because of traffic. We rather quickly check in to the hotel, pick up our ECV's, and then it's up to our DTD view room. It's very close to Jamba Juice and I am thrilled. Our bags quickly arrive, we toss them in the corner and off we go. We spend only a few minutes enjoying the lovely features of the hotel lobby and we are off to the gate to DCA. We're hungry now and opt for Paradise Pier food. But what? We narrow it down to either Mali Burritos or Strips, Dips and Chips. We are pleased with our choice of Mali Burritos. We hang around the boardwalk and I am tempted to play some games but I think this could just be a waste of money so we move on. We watch people go on the big rides neither one of us care to experience. Since I just ate I don't even want to watch the inside of the Sun Wheel. DCA will soon close and now our first dilemma. I'd like to see the fireworks from the train station but I also want to explore DTD. We will have two more chances to see Remember... so it's off to do the shop thing for a little while. DH heads for the room. I don't stay too long spending in WOD. Yes I overspent but it is, after all, for the grandkids. I'm really tired now and its been a long day and I didn't sleep last night (too excited). Back to the room to sleep with the lullaby of passing crowds beneath my window.
Sat.-Up early for our first full day at the resort. EE and we're off. During the course of the morning and early afternoon we did the train all the way around, the 50th movie, iasw, JC, POTC, Mark Twain, Storybook Canal Boats (don't ask me why). We didn't do the Tiki Room but we did have a Dole Whip. And yes it was that good. We ate at the Golden Horseshoe and saw the Billies. That was fun. Starting to lose some stamina so a rest is in order. I stop at Disneyana on the way out and buy a 50th anniversary First Day Cover for my collection. After a needed nap I go off to explore this great hotel. I enjoy talking to CMs about their jobs and their lives in general. Everyone is very nice to me and I feel a little special with the attention. I go by the pool but it's cool out and only a few are in the water. I rejoin DH and we lunch at Whitewater Snacks. Everything you've read about this place is true. We are energized now and it's off to PODs. It was ok nice. Then we staked out our spot for the fireworks. I am very patient and I love to people watch but there is now a second dilemma. I would really enjoy watching the swing band dance but I can't be there and also have a great spot for Remember... So the Jumpin Jive'n Boogie will stomp and wail without me. But that's okay because the fireworks were so well worth the wait. This is Disney at it's best!! Another dilemma. Do we see Fantasmic, go on more rides or SLOWLY head back to the hotel? Once more on iasw, JC and POTC. I'm hungry for a late snack but I'm really tired so back to the hotel and a little room service snack to eat on the balcony before bed. What a marvelous day this was.
Sun.-We start the morning back at Whitewater Snacks. Good stuff. Back through the gate as this is our morning to explore DCA. We skip PP and go to to see Golden Dreams, history buff that I am. Then the Animation Bldg. for a visit with Crush et al. After a little more wandering it's getting close to noon so we head for the Hub to visit with fellow MP'ers. It's really nice to see everyone and say hello. Now I spend time browsing the Main St. shops. Every item looks so wonderful but I really want to limit myself to just a fridge magnet at the Emporium. I tried. I really did so try. You know how it is, right? We have reservations for dinner at the Rainforest Cafe and we are there only a few minutes late but we are promptly seated next to a gorilla. We had an appetizer and shrimp nile things that were SO delicious and the atmosphere was very cool (and misty). Our gorilla friend got a little antsy but that was to be expected (as I hoped). After dinner we checked out DTD. The bookstore and the candy store I have absolutely no business being in. I really liked the ESPN Zone. Lots of energy there. Another choice to be made. The fireworks from iasw or something else. Loved the view from the ramp. Off to bed after another fabulous day.
Mon.-Early CB buffet at Storytellers Cafe. I had to have some French Toast. That and a lot more. I ate too much. Digested and packed, checked out, wandered around a little more before taxi takes us to the train station and then we are on our way home.

Next week I'll let you know what we really did.

rentayenta
10-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Very cute. I think you should visit Olvera St. though.

Can't wait to read the real thing.

LoveDL
10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
How long does it take to travel on the Amtrak to Disneyland? We live in Lodi and have taken Amtrak to S.F. and we enjoyed it. Oh, sounds like a good plan, hope all goes as planned:) !

Hank919
10-04-2005, 01:50 PM
We will arrive at aprox 5 PM but a well worth it leasurely trip