PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Advice Needed (Near the Crosswalk on Harbor)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mommy2NicknMax
10-03-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm planning a trip in December and every hotel I check seems to be booked. I normally stay at the BWPPI which is only available two of the four nights I'll be there, so that's out. I tried to use the "Reviews" section here at MP but can't get it to work. So I've got a few choices. Can anyone give me some current info on the Ramada Inn Maingate vs. Del Sol? I'm not thrilled about either and from what I've read on TripAdvisor, I'm getting down right scared. I will be traveling alone so staying far away is not an option I'm comfortable with. I'll be going Dec 7 - 11th. If anyone has been to either of these hotels recently, could you let me know how it was? If anyone has any other suggestions for hotels on Harbor, please let me know. Thanks so much! :)

adriennek
10-03-2005, 05:43 PM
I know it's not one of the choices you've listed but have you ruled out Desert Inn & Suites? I stopped by a friend's room there a couple of weeks ago and it was clean and pleasant and VERY close to the crosswalk. I have been in a few rooms there in the past and have a few friends who love it.

Adrienne

emmah
10-03-2005, 05:46 PM
If anyone has any other suggestions for hotels on Harbor, please let me know. Thanks so much! :)

Howard Johnson's is fab. I always stay there - its very close, and always has good prices (go to mousesavers.com and click on the special link - you get special discounts).:D

celinas mommy
10-03-2005, 06:20 PM
I have stayed at Desert Inn & Suites I liked it.. I have also stayed at Park Inn and Suites (its next to McDonalds).. They were both very nice hotels.
Try looking those up on tripadvisor.com and see what you think...

Also I have reservations for same time you do at BWPPI, I needed to make some changes and the online reservation system would not let me said SOLD OUT.. I called the 800 number from their website and had no problems changing the res at all. Have you tried to call the hotel and see what they say.. Usually the internet does have a better rate so they may only have a certain number of rooms that they show avail on the internet and the rest the sell through their 800 number ( This is from experience plus being in management at a hotel)

Just a try, you never know, not all hotels are the same though..

Good Luck

Mommy2NicknMax
10-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Adriennek - thanks for that suggestion. I haven't ruled it out yet but they are booked for one of my four nights (standard room).

emmah - would you consider it safe to walk from the crosswalk to the HoJo late at night? It seems a bit far to me but since I've never been down that far, I have no idea how well lit or traveled it is around 12:00AM. Thanks too for the tip about Mousesavers!

Any opinion on the Tropicana Inn?

celinas mommy, thanks, I'll look up the Park Inn as well. I did try to call BW's 800 number but not the hotel directly. It looks like it's sold out for Friday and Saturday night though. I'm bummed about that b/c I do enjoy staying there. I'll give their direct line a try now. Thanks so much!

celinas mommy
10-03-2005, 06:41 PM
What about Best Western Anaheim Inn... Its at 1630 Harbor BLVD.

There website is: www.anaheiminn.com

I think it might be right by the Denny's there on Harbor.

SCUBAbe
10-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Any opinion on the Tropicana Inn?

I've stayed there once and it was nice, comfortable and clean. I'm staying there again in two weeks..:)

Klutch
10-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Any room at the Candy Cane Inn? It's small, but very charming; and you don't even have to cross the street.

MammaSilva
10-03-2005, 07:17 PM
We love the Desert Inn & Suites and for not much more you can get a parlour suite that gives you a parlour area that's closed off from the bedroom area so you can put the little ones down for a nap and you can watch tv or read and not disturb them. We've stayed at the tropicana as well and had a clean room very basic but if all you're looking for is a bed and shower it does the job.

FatAl
10-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I stayed at Tropicana Inn this Labor Day. I left Disneyland at 1:10 a.m. because kids and wife refused to leave the Emporium. We felt the walk back was very safe. Tropicana Inn is a few steps from the signal light to Disneyland entrance, and is way closer than HoJo or McDonald by comparision.

The breakfast that it served was next to nonexistence, and milk costed $1 extra. However, I did not stay there for breakfast reason. It's bed was 'noisy' due to the type of bedding it used. It's shower was powerful. It also had microwave, refrigerator, and hair dryer. Overall, I will stay there again this Christmas if the price is right.

GeminiAngel
10-03-2005, 07:36 PM
I know it's not one of the choices you've listed but have you ruled out Desert Inn & Suites? I stopped by a friend's room there a couple of weeks ago and it was clean and pleasant and VERY close to the crosswalk. I have been in a few rooms there in the past and have a few friends who love it.

Adrienne

We stayed there a couple of years ago. Very fitting for our party of 14!!!

DangerMouse
10-03-2005, 07:38 PM
I always stay at the HoJo and feel completely safe walking back after park closing. I doubt you will be walking alone since there is the Fairfield right there as well so there is other hotel traffic. You can cut through the MiMi's parking lot to make the walk a bit shorter. Honestly though, I have NEVER considered the walk as too long.

I have also stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites. It was "ok", not anything fancy, but it's closer to the crosswalk.

We'll be at DL, right after you, 12/11-14 and will be staying at our favorite, HoJo!

Have a great trip! :D

FatAl
10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Mr. darkbeer has a photograph of how the signal light/crosswalk look like. I hope it helps you visualize the area.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/673082

Pirate Princess
10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Just like everyone one of my other posts:
CAROUSEL INN and SUITES.

I love it. It's comfortable, clean and completely remodeled. They have a fridge, a coffee maker and the bathroom is seperate from the sink/vanity. The rooms are spacious. I really love it.
PS- DO NOT DO THE RAMADA MAINGATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have never complained about anything.. until I stayed there.
I wrote a formal complaint and will NOT even use the free nights stay they offered to give me. (Yeah, it would save me tons of money and I am completely broke... it was <b>that</b> bad.)

Mommy2NicknMax
10-03-2005, 08:38 PM
PS- DO NOT DO THE RAMADA MAINGATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have never complained about anything.. until I stayed there.
I wrote a formal complaint and will NOT even use the free nights stay they offered to give me. (Yeah, it would save me tons of money and I am completely broke... it was <b>that</b> bad.)
May I ask what you complained about? I can't imagine it was that bad but maybe the look from outside the building is deceiving?

I checked the Carousel, they are sold out too. :(

Mommy2NicknMax
10-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Any room at the Candy Cane Inn? It's small, but very charming; and you don't even have to cross the street.
This place looks nice and is available. My only concern is that it seems pretty far away. Do you walk when you stay here or take their shuttle? Just curious about how long it takes to walk from the hotel to say the security check point?

You all have been so very helpful and I really appreciate it! :)

Pirate Princess
10-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Here is a copy of a post I did a few days back.. this isn't all I complained about (there was a laundry list), but I think it will give you a good idea. Keep in mind this is the FIRST formal complaint I have ever made in my life:

Awful Awful Awful
The WORST hotel experience of my life: May 2005 (only a few months ago).
Hairs on the toliet.. and in the bed. Mold and Mildew. An unexplained noise coming from the wall in the middle of the night that woke up my four-year old and made him cry out of fear (and I almost cried.. super freaky.) Sounded like a hammer against metal and was not human made since it came from a wall that was not connected to another hotel room. The place is trashy and creepy.

There are others who have said it's ok. This is just my experience.

Mark Mywords
10-03-2005, 09:53 PM
This place looks nice and is available. My only concern is that it seems pretty far away. Do you walk when you stay here or take their shuttle? Just curious about how long it takes to walk from the hotel to say the security check point?

Go with the Candy Cane Inn! It is by far the best of the 5 good neighbor hotels we've stayed in. The rooms are neat and cozy and the breakfast is really great. We stayed there in early September and it was just wonderful! I'm really bummed that we can't stay there for our Dec. 1-4 trip (they're booked up).

It is a walk, though. Probably about as far as HoJo's, but it seemed easier, because we didn't have to cross Harbor. They do have a shuttle which I hear is very dependable schedule-wise. We never used it, we just had the young'uns pile into the stroller and off we went...

Mommy2NicknMax
10-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Okay, wow, you all are fabulous!

My choices are now: Candy Cane Inn, Park Inn Anaheim (any more info on this one would be appreciated, it's the least expensive), or Tropicana. Candy Cane seems nice but the walk alone at night bothers me a tiny bit (I know, I'm a chicken).

I totally regret not booking my usual BWPPI earlier when I saw it. I made the mistake of making sure I had the money to go first. :|

TTFN92
10-03-2005, 10:24 PM
I've been a lurker for a long time, but I had to reply to your post. Do NOT stay at RIMG! We stayed there this summer and I won't stay there again. The room was big so in that sense it was good, but the bathroom towels were my issue. I opened up a few of them and there were holes in them. Then one of them looked like it had blood stains on it. I was so grossed out! We are staying at Del Sol when we go in Nov. I'm not looking forward to it but we kind of have to stay there. I had booked it just in case when we went in Sept. and forgot to cancel it so we got charged for 3 rooms for one night. They are giving it to us for $49 a night and we can't get anything cheaper so that is where we are going.

We stayed at Tropicana in March and it was nice and clean but the beds were hard as a rock! My BIL swears by Desert Inn & Suites but it is a little more expensive. We stayed at Anaheim Plaza Inn in April and it was clean but old and a little far for me but it was inexpensive.

Definitely check on the internet and call them. The prices are always different. Also, Priceline sometimes has rooms when the hotel says they are booked. You could always do the choose your hotel option. It is a little more money than if you pick your price, but may work for you. Good luck!

emmah
10-04-2005, 12:15 AM
emmah - would you consider it safe to walk from the crosswalk to the HoJo late at night? It seems a bit far to me but since I've never been down that far, I have no idea how well lit or traveled it is around 12:00AM. Thanks too for the tip about Mousesavers!I have always felt perfectly safe (I am usually there on my own) walking back although to be honest, I always go in the off season, so the latest I would walk back would have been 9pm. but there are always plenty of families around, so it has never crossed my mind that it might not be safe...! look both ways, cross with the lights and walk with purpose!!! :) :)

disneyhound
10-04-2005, 04:52 AM
...would you consider it safe to walk from the crosswalk to the HoJo late at night? It seems a bit far to me but since I've never been down that far...
We have stayed at different places along Harbor Blvd and it has never felt unsafe. There always seems to be people out and about, mostly other families. I think the biggest risk is the crosswalk, keep an eye out for drivers who are not aware of you, you may have the right-of-way, but...

Mommy2NicknMax
10-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Also I have reservations for same time you do at BWPPI, I needed to make some changes and the online reservation system would not let me said SOLD OUT.. I called the 800 number from their website and had no problems changing the res at all. Have you tried to call the hotel and see what they say.. Usually the internet does have a better rate so they may only have a certain number of rooms that they show avail on the internet and the rest the sell through their 800 number ( This is from experience plus being in management at a hotel)

Just a try, you never know, not all hotels are the same though..

Good Luck
I got the BWPPI!!! :D Thank you for this advice. I called them this morning (800 number from their website) and she said just what you did!

Thank you all again for all this wonderful info on the hotels on Harbor. I will save it and maybe try some place different in the near future. :)

JosieGirl71
10-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Glad you got your room at BWPPI!

Although I have never stayed at Candy Cane Inn, it has wonderful reviews and they have their own private shuttle.

We have stayed at Hojo's and it is very nice. The staff is unbelievable but I think it is a long walk at the end of the day, especially if you are by yourself.

I have heard that Tropicana Inn is nice and clean but bare bones.

Sailor Butterfly
10-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Huh. We just stayed at the Ramada Inn last month, and except for our room not being made up till around 4pm, we didn't have any complaints. Maybe they've fixed things? :confused:

So the Carousel Inn is much better now? When we stayed there in '92 we had to wait several hours after check-in for our rooms to be cleaned (which was not fun when everyone is tired from driving all night) and the pool was filthy, amoung other complaints my family had.

Mommy2NicknMax- I'm glad that you were able to get the hotel you wanted. :D