PDA

View Full Version : What is the best perk about being on the Disneyland Advisory Council

bluebayou
03-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Hi - I have some questions for the people on the Disney Advisory Council:

1. What is the best thing about being on there?

2. Do you get special treatment in relation to special events (are you gauranteed to go, etc)?

3. Do you get to be on the council indefintiely once you get on it intially?

4. How many people are on this council approx?

Thanks for all the answers in advance and just so you know I will be seeing you in April since I was picked as a new member for this year..

Caroline

AVP
03-04-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by bluebayou

For me, it was getting to meet and get "face time" with the movers and shakers of Disneyland merchandise. I loved seeing the new items and ideas before they happened. The hardest part was not coming in here and spilling the beans, or telling what I knew in my columns.

2. Do you get special treatment in relation to special events (are you gauranteed to go, etc)?

The past councils have been able to make reservations for some events before they go on sale to the general public. This isn't guaranteed, and it doesn't mean you get in free.

3. Do you get to be on the council indefintiely once you get on it intially?

No - each council is chosen for one year, or 3-4 meetings. The members of the prior councils will be returning in July for a joint meeting.

4. How many people are on this council approx?

I believe there were 28 on the last council

Thanks for all the answers in advance and just so you know I will be seeing you in April since I was picked as a new member for this year..

Caroline

CONGRATS! I wish I could have been picked again. (It's a one-shot opportunity)

AVP

rexfarms
03-04-2002, 06:02 PM
How do you get picked and what is it?!?!?!

bluebayou
03-04-2002, 07:38 PM
The advisory council was advertized on here in one of the articles that Adrianne posted in I believe October. The council meets 4x a year and discusses new merchandise, special events and this year - the disney 50th anniversary celebration. You had to write a letter explaining why you would be an ideal candidate and what would be your unique perspective that you could bring to the group. It was a LONG time between me writing the letter and hearing I was in (Like 3 months). I am ecstatic to be on it and I am sure I will enjoy all that goes with it.

MammaSilva
03-04-2002, 08:52 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to do that but the non disclosure would be my hardest task....have fun and share what you can :)

rexfarms
03-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Where would I write this leter too and would there be any information online? Thanks!

AVP
03-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Where would I write this leter too and would there be any information online? Thanks!

Applications for the 2002 Council were solicited last fall, and were announced in my column. While it's too late to get on the 2002 Council, you can get more information here:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/mer011026.htm

I'll announce when they start accepting applications for the 2003 Council.

AVP

Morrigoon
03-05-2002, 10:18 PM
I applied too late this year :( (and it was still months before hearing i wasn't in, LOL)

adriennek
03-06-2002, 02:38 PM

I agree with AVP's reply. It was awonderful opportunity to get to know the people behind the scenes and to learn about concepts months before anyone else did. I liked getting insights. But a really cool part was the free stuff. (Come on, let's admit it, free stuff is cool.) We didn't get paid. People had to take time off of work to come down. People had to pay for their own transportation and lodging if they were from out of town. But we got a nice little gift to thank us at the end of each meeting. I would never sell these items, they're special to me.

Adrienne K

bluebayou
03-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Wow - I didnt even know about the free stuff - and I agree with you - I would more than likely never sell it - it would be something that I would treasure.. I am one of the ones who have to provide their own lodging ( I live in Las Vegas - a short 3 1/2 hour drive). I was just so excited at being a part of something at Disney and meeting all the people behind the scenes, etc - it didnt matter to me about having to pay for lodging.. and anyway it gives me a chance to stay for a couple days and relax at Disneyland - after all what could be better than that!

adriennek
03-07-2002, 12:59 PM
I was just so excited at being a part of something at Disney and meeting all the people behind the scenes, etc - it didnt matter to me about having to pay for lodging.. and anyway it gives me a chance to stay for a couple days and relax at Disneyland - after all what could be better than that!

That's what most of the out-of-towners did on our council. Meetings were usually on Fridays or Mondays so you could make a full weekend out of it! They also did a nice job of scheduling meetings around dates that you might want to be at the park anyway for an anniversary or grand opening, etc.

Adrienne K

Morrigoon
03-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Blue Bayou: there's enough of us here in town to have our own meets!

(sorry, off-topic, but I'm responding to what (s)he said)