PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain Drop, why no more water?

Pages : [1] 2

Mickey
10-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Anyone ever noticed that since the Splash Mountain refurbishment in March 2005
the water runnning down the biggest drop is less than usual?
Here a photo from 1998:
http://lostworld.pair.com/disneyland/crittercountry/critter_images/splash_mtn-jun98.jpg

And here just scroll down and find another pic with Splash in the 50th(2005) nearly with no water in the drop!
http://disney.go.com/inside/issues/stories/DLR50/gallery_page1.html
Strange ha? :confused:

Disneynerd
10-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't notice - did you ride it since the change? Does the hill feel different?
I thought this thread was going to be about the spash at the end. I'd prefer if my hair didn't get wet. But that's just me. :)

Tinkerskid
10-03-2005, 02:07 PM
We were just there on September 26 through 28 and we got really really wet on Splash Mountain. Several times during the ride, waves actually came up over the boat and soaked us! :eek:

tbminnie
10-03-2005, 02:07 PM
The angle of the pictures is different. Maybe that's why it looks different. Or maybe they had too many complaints about people getting soaked on the ride and found they could run the hill with less water to help with that.

Mickey
10-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Actually it's nothing to do with the pic, it's obvious that less water is running down, all those splash fans can notice it.
But I rode it several times and it feels to me it's the same, just that it can do a little better with more water in the drop, make it look just as when it opened! :D

Mark Mywords
10-03-2005, 02:47 PM
It looks about the same to me. The difference in the pictures seems to be from different angles and lighting. :confused:

EchoThree76
10-03-2005, 02:48 PM
It could be also the time of year. Once off season comes they turn the water level down..like in Grizzly rapids

Mickey
10-03-2005, 03:04 PM
No, No, No, it's not the picture!
You can check some more online and see the diference.I noticed it since they reopened it in April 2005, all summer the water has been in a low level in the drop, it's not the "off season" either. There is less water running since summer nothing to it. Everytime I got on it I always walked around just staring at the drop, and looking how little water ran down. It's strange how there are so many disney fans here and never noticed it. Probably someone will get me on this one. You can check your own pics, and see the diference. :geek:

SCUBAbe
10-03-2005, 04:25 PM
they were testing it without water on the drop a few time. The water is just for an effect...:)...just like the large splash that goes up...an effect ;)

Susan L
10-03-2005, 04:54 PM
It could be also the time of year. Once off season comes they turn the water level down..like in Grizzly rapids

I don't know about that, the wettest we ever go on Grizzly was in the off season (Feb) and it was the rapids that did it to us.

FatAl
10-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Mrs. FatAl sat at the front and she was all wet a few weeks back. I did not notice anything because I closed my eyes and tensed up all through the big drop and small drop. I screamed the loudest too.

DCACM
10-03-2005, 07:38 PM

Grizzly maintains the same water flow year-round. The only change made to GRR during the colder months is leaky pipes on the lift (unless there is a sadistic CM in tower).

newhdplayer
10-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Less Water now---One of the left-over budget cuts from the Pressler era. Matt's working on it as soon as they can find the hose to fill it up.

matt5172
10-03-2005, 07:57 PM
they were testing it without water on the drop a few time. The water is just for an effect...:)...just like the large splash that goes up...an effect ;)

That's right, the water has no effect on the actual boats. The track is actually raised an inch or two over the water so you'll never feel a difference. If I remember correctly, the ride was originally designed like a roller coaster. The most obvious place you'll notice that is when you're going up the small hill after the second drop.

Mickey Matt
10-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks for bringing this up Mickey. I have also noticed the lack of water down the drop for the last few years. No, it doesn't affect the ride or how badly you get wet, it just looks better with more water going down.

coronado_g
10-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Maybe we need an engineers opinion about this. Anyone?
Would less water falling down the slide affect the size of the splash when the log reaches bottom?

SoCalDude
10-03-2005, 11:12 PM

I find this very hard to believe. I was a ride op. at Shipwreck at Sea World and that ride is the same style as GR - you need the water level to be at the same point for saftey reasons. They may turn down the things that splash you that have nothing to do with the level of the water, but other than that I very seriously doubt there is less water in GR in the off season.

Now Splash - I have no idea...

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Hmm, will have to check it out next month. I do know they turn off the "misters" when the weather gets cooler, to help with being soaked at the end.

HorizonsA
10-04-2005, 09:22 AM
OMG people. Of course it's an effect! Of course it doesn't affect how much you get wet. Not too offend anyone but reading the posts on this thread have me rolling my eyes a lot. The Poster was making an observation on how the big drop on Splash Mountain appears to have little to no water coming down. But everyone on this thread kept saying it because of the camera angles. How dumb is that? So, if you stand on the side, it looks like there is no water and if you stand dead-center, there's a heck of a lot of water? Come on! :rolleyes:
I've noticed the lack of water too since they reopened and have wondered why they haven't had as much water. That drop is supposed to look like an actual waterfall, that's supposed to be the effect, the illusion, if you will. But with the too much toned down levels of water, it doesn't look like a waterfall at all, all we see now is an obvious track coming out of a mountain. That's what the poster was saying. Geez!

HorizonsA
10-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Maybe we need an engineers opinion about this. Anyone?
Would less water falling down the slide affect the size of the splash when the log reaches bottom?

NO! Everyone knows that it all depends on the weight of your boat. The heavier your boat is, the more likely you are to getting wet or soaked. If you ride in a boat with a bunch of 6 year olds, your most likely to only get a few drops, except the person sitting in the front. The water coming down the mountain has NOTHING to do with the splash. It is part of the theming, it's supposed to act like an actual waterfall.

minniemom
10-04-2005, 10:24 AM
We were just there on September 26 through 28 and we got really really wet on Splash Mountain. Several times during the ride, waves actually came up over the boat and soaked us! :eek:

I agree 100%! We were also there last week & we got wetter than ever. I love Splash!

Vegitabeta
10-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Last time we were on Splash, I started getting really nervous and freaked out, like I wanted to get out! So we didn't go on it on our last trip:(

junglejoy
10-04-2005, 11:29 AM
I noticed something last week that you all probably already knew. I was on Tom Sawyer's Island with my kids, and across the Rivers of America you can see where Splash goes right after the waterfall. It's right next to the canoes boarding (are those still being used - we didn't see them open all last week). I guess I never look up after the drop because I'm recovering from it so I'd never noticed it before. It was fun to see everyone as they ended their drop - mostly shrieking and looking very wet!

CrazyTrain
10-04-2005, 01:24 PM
It also depends of how the stack your boat.

Sunday my boyfriend and I rode it. He was in the front seat and said he saw a wall of water come up. He got pretty wet (but not soaked).

MrTomMorrow
10-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I agree; I've noticed in the past few years that the amount of water flowing down the flume on the big drop of Splash Mountain has decreased. I think the flume looks much better with a lot of water flowing down it, even though it's only a cosmetic effect...