PDA

View Full Version : Rainforest Cafe or what?

poohlover
10-03-2005, 11:22 AM
We'll be at DL/CA Wed-Sat of next week. We plan to head back to our hotel (Carousel) early in the evening Saturday because we have an early flight Sunday morning, and we'll have seen the fireworks/Fantasmic on Friday. I'd like to somewhere we've never been before for dinner Saturday on our way back to our hotel. This is my husband, our two teen-age daughters (who love everything) and I. I was thinking about the Rainforest Cafe? Good? Great? Somewhere better you'd suggest? Am I dreamin' that I can still get reservations somewhere just 12 days in advance? Appreciate your ideas!

Rhiannon8404
10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
I would recommend the Rainforest Cafe, epsecially if you've never been there. We've only eaten at the Dinsey one once, but have eaten at the on on Pier 39 in San Francisco several times. The food is good (same menu at both places near as I can tell) and if it's not too crowded you get good service.

Alice Fan
10-03-2005, 11:37 AM
We went there last November while we were at DL for three days. We didn't have reservations, on a Saturday afternoon about 4 PM we waited about 20 minutes for a table. I had crabcakes and didn't think they were that great, but my hubby and sons loved their food (they had pizzas plus we got an appetizer tray that was awesome). It was pricey, we spent over $100 for dinner (hubby and I each had a drink, they're expensive if you buy the souvenir glass...which of course I did, I'm such a tourist...lol ), but I'm glad we went at least once. The atmosphere was fun, my 15 and 11 year-old sons loved it. The service was good, but the food took a little while to come. We were on vacation, though, and not in a rush, and there was plenty to distract us while we waited (a big gorilla that kept making noises, intermittent thunderstorms happening, etc.). We may go back when we go to DL again this November, but our favorite DD restaurant is ESPN Zone.

junglemom
10-03-2005, 02:43 PM
We'll be at DL/CA Wed-Sat of next week. We plan to head back to our hotel (Carousel) early in the evening Saturday because we have an early flight Sunday morning, and we'll have seen the fireworks/Fantasmic on Friday. I'd like to somewhere we've never been before for dinner Saturday on our way back to our hotel. This is my husband, our two teen-age daughters (who love everything) and I. I was thinking about the Rainforest Cafe? Good? Great? Somewhere better you'd suggest? Am I dreamin' that I can still get reservations somewhere just 12 days in advance? Appreciate your ideas!

omg, that's exactly the same time I am gonna be there... next wed-sat. I love the Rain Forest Cafe. I go almost everytime we go to DL. The food is fantastic. They have a lifetime membership card you can sign up for, I think it's $10 or $15...geez I really don't even know if that is right, it was so long ago that we signed up, anyways, you get a 10% discount on up to 4 people or the chef's choice appetizer free everytime you go. You basically pay for it your first time. But the fodd is great, they have a lot of fun drinks for grown ups and kids. But beware of the gorilla, my friends daughter was deathly afraid of the giant gorilla. I think it is on the ground level seating area. Every so often it starts grunting and moving, she was only 2 and should have made us feel bad. But we laughed so hard everytime the gorilla started in. To this day she still talks about the gorilla and that was last February.

Susan L
10-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Rainforest Cafe` is a good choice. You can't beat the atmosphere and the food is good.

RemainSeatedPlease
10-03-2005, 05:05 PM
It is very nice place to go for a change in resturants. Have the calamari! It's yummy there!

stan4d_steph
10-03-2005, 08:29 PM
It's noisy and the food is average. The service can be spotty. I would pass.

Pirate Princess
10-03-2005, 08:32 PM
I love the Rainforest Cafe! (But then again I am one of those people who orders the same thing every time I go somewhere) So, I should say: The "Plant Sandwich" at Rainforest is GREAT! The atmosphere is wonderful.. my vote is yes!
Also, make sure you let people know how your hotel was when you get back. I am always advocating for Carousel.. it's my fav (because it's clean, newly redone, and roomy) but everyone else seems to scream HoJo's for life. I want to hear your opinion!
H

Vegitabeta
10-04-2005, 03:38 AM
We love the Rainforest Café! It's very different, so if you haven't been then I say give it a try.:)

10-04-2005, 05:16 AM
We have two teen daughters who love the Rainforest Café chain. The atmosphere is fun. The food is fun and portions xl. Over the years, we have honed our for the four of us down to a science:

-the appetizer platter (you get a variety of good things to share, including calamari, Southwestern eggrolls, warm crab dip, etc.)
-4 bowls of clam chowder
-2 desserts (to share)

We leave happy and we don't spend so much we feel robbed. After all, the Rainforest Café is 75% atmosphere, 25% food. You get the same atmosphere whether you spend $45 or $100 for the four of you.

Pointers:
The special drinks will really amp up the tab so beware. They aren't necessary to enjoying the Rainforest Café experience.
The China Island chicken salad is pretty legendarily good. It's big enough to share.
It's loud. It's noisy. It's fun. Don't go with a headache or for conversation.
Service is jokey and friendly but not topnotch. The servers really want to oversell you on food and beverage.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-04-2005, 06:50 AM

I love Rain Forest Cafe and I bet you will too. Definetly one of those unique restaurants. I say that is a great choice!

TowerofTerror
10-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Rainforest Café is the best place to go over everything thing else

minniemom
10-04-2005, 10:40 AM
The Rainforest is so fun. A little advice for your first time, sit inside. Sometimes they can get you right in if you sit outside, but in my opinion you miss the best part and that is the atmosphere. For food, try the lettuce wraps. I love them. They are an appetizer, but big enough for a meal. Have Fun!

Clotho
10-04-2005, 01:57 PM
The Rainforest is so fun. A little advice for your first time, sit inside. Sometimes they can get you right in if you sit outside, but in my opinion you miss the best part and that is the atmosphere. For food, try the lettuce wraps. I love them. They are an appetizer, but big enough for a meal. Have Fun!

Funny, I would totally recommend the opposite. We prefer outside. It has great atmosphere, and you get to enjoy music and sounds from the DTD crowds below. When a live band starts to play outside, they turn off the restaurant music outside, so you don't have a cacophany.

I also agree that the atmosphere may be great, but the food is average and service can be iffy. Portions are huge--share if you're not big eaters! Drinks are strong. Niiiice.