PDA

View Full Version : How I'd change DCA

hbquikcomjamesl
03-04-2002, 03:54 PM
Aside from replacing the Mission Tortilla Fiasco with something that isn't quite so embarrassing . . . ;)

Bay area needs more content. It's only got Golden Dreams, the local conveniences, and a whole bunch of empty storefronts. But there's not a whole lot actually IN San Francisco that would work well in a theme park. You couldn't very well transplant the Coit Tower, or Alcatraz, or the Exploratorium, or the Japanese Tea Garden, or bay cruises. The only thing I can think of (and I spend an average of 5 days a year in San Francisco) that would transplant well to a theme park would be the cable cars. Fortunately, cable cars are a pretty strong basis for attractions.
The first thing I'd do would be to put the Imagineers to work designing the fully-interactive cable car simulator I proposed in an earlier thread. Once they were guest-worthy, I'd put the prototypes into the corner storefront, and see what the demand is like.

West of the Golden Dreams exit, I'd get rid of everything (well, maybe keep the dinosaur, since it's just outlandish enough to fit a SF-themed area) up to and including Mulholland Mistake, so that whole area can be re-themed as an expansion of Bay Area, and in place of MM, I'd build a hybrid rollercoaster/darkride themed as runaway cable cars. Relatively mild as coasters go (so even the kiddies could ride; think of Gadget's Go-Coaster), except that the curves would be at least as sharp as what you find on real cable car tracks. Vehicles would be single cars, rather than trains, and would carry the cable car theming as far as safety permits.

If the cable car simulators catch on, I'd put them into full-scale production, and tear out the wine bar on the west end of Golden Vine, so that the simulator building could expand in that direction. Other non-retail possibilities for Bay Area storefronts might include a recreation of the popular "Earthquake" gallery at the California Academy of Sciences, complete with an earthquake simulator.

cemeinke
03-04-2002, 05:18 PM
I've the perfect suggestion for the San Francisco Store fronts:

Chip & Dale's Bath House

Think about it:

Lovable Disney Characters
A celebration diversity
California theming

How could it possibly go wrong?

zapppop
03-04-2002, 05:29 PM
...and right next to it, Richard Gere's Wild Gerbil Ride
(think Journey Through Inner Space ;) )

Uncle Dick
03-04-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Bay area needs more content. It's only got Golden Dreams, the local conveniences, and a whole bunch of empty storefronts. But there's not a whole lot actually IN San Francisco that would work well in a theme park. You couldn't very well transplant the Coit Tower, or Alcatraz, or the Exploratorium, or the Japanese Tea Garden, or bay cruises.
What if they relocated Innoventions and themed it to the Exploratorium? Oh, wait.... I forgot. The Exploratorium is fun. ;)

West of the Golden Dreams exit, I'd get rid of everything (well, maybe keep the dinosaur, since it's just outlandish enough to fit a SF-themed area) up to and including Mulholland Mistake, so that whole area can be re-themed as an expansion of Bay Area, and in place of MM, I'd build a hybrid rollercoaster/darkride themed as runaway cable cars.
Not a bad idea at all, as long as the Corn Dog Castle is relocated to another part of Paradise Pier (perhaps replacing one of those dumb carnival games). Anything that involves the razing of MM is good IMHO.

Other non-retail possibilities for Bay Area storefronts might include a recreation of the popular "Earthquake" gallery at the California Academy of Sciences, complete with an earthquake simulator.
I've seen that! It's a nice presentation, similar in size to new AT&T theater at Innoventions, that could fit in nicely at DCA. I wouldn't mind a new "exhibit" if it included some fun psuedo-attractions like an earthquake simulator.

The one thing I don't get about the whole S.F. area, is why it wasn't put at the main entrance as a "Main Street" type of thing. I know they didn't want to copy Disneyland, but the more I look at it, the more I think the colorful mural was a mistake. And why the heck is the Golden Gate Bridge no where near the Bay Area? Something that should have been reconsidered if ya ask me.

coronamouseman
03-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Go back to an idea that was proposed some time ago:

Tear down the entry gates and make DCA part of DTD - rides will all be pay as you go (some kind of ticket scheme) unless you want to buy a "DCA" option for your regular Disneyland ticket which will allow you to get Fastpasses or ride tickets for the DCA attractions.

Disney can try to find some more restauranteurs to place their businesses inside DCA with the idea that the park will be open to the DTD public ......

Only after Disney adds Tower of Terror and RnR Coaster do they close the gates up again and start treating the park as a peer to DL.

One other ride suggestion - how about using the "Test Track" cars to build a California Freeway ride around the Paradise Pier area - highlight could be something like the heavily banked turn at 75 mph found at WDW's Test Track or maybe even an additional steep drop like at TDS's JTTCOTE ride........

Uncle Dick
03-04-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
Go back to an idea that was proposed some time ago:

Only after Disney adds Tower of Terror and RnR Coaster do they close the gates up again and start treating the park as a peer to DL.
Since they're building ToT as we speak, I don't think it would be very wise to tear down the gates, only to have to rebuild them a year or two later. Lower the ticket prices by about $10 maybe, but don't tear down the gates...

zapppop
03-04-2002, 07:00 PM
3 words:
WALT DISNEY STUDIOS

3 more words and a smile:
DO IT NOW ;)

disneynut
03-04-2002, 08:38 PM
I think it needs to be more kid friendly with its rides. If most of the rides have a height requirement they should not be charging 33$ for a 3 y/o to get into the park. They should be charging based on how tall the child is. (I know all of this will be changing once the kid area comes to be but I also don't want them to throw up cheap, cheesy rides and then say they are kid friendly.) I think this was my biggest beef with DCA when we paid to get in last March and there was nothing for my then 3 y/o to do.

hbquikcomjamesl
03-05-2002, 08:22 AM
I think it needs to be more kid friendly with its rides.

Actually, my own proposals address that need.

The simulator idea would come in both adult and child sizes of "full-motion" simulators ("full-motion" being a relative term here, with nothing moving too fast for a guest to stand in the gripman's compartment of the "car" [which might have some padding, however]), as well as non-motion desktop units for the disabled, the timid, and the very young.

The "runaway cable car" idea (based on a suggestion somebody else made, when I first proposed the simulator idea) would combine both rollercoaster and darkride elements into a single ride, and the rollercoaster elements would be mild enough to allow for relatively low minimum age/height requirements, perhaps even lower than those of "Gadget's Go-Coaster." Incidentally, has anybody done a rollercoaster that one rides sideways?

ricksfca
03-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Instead of another movie based attraction at DCA, how about a dark ride? They could use the cable car vehicles suggested in the earlier post, but it would take you through various scenes of San Francisco. There used to be a ride like this at Fisherman's Warf where you rode cablecars and followed the history of San Francisco...through gold rush, earthquake, fire, peace & love, blah, blah, blah. This ride could also be used to explain the significance of the Palace of Fine Arts building at the entrance to the California movie with Whoopi. It could be a two story building and the up hills could be utilized into the attraction...just like in San Francisco itself. When you're exiting the second floor of the building, your cable car comes out of a heavy fog into Lombard Street (ala Alice and Wonderland ride). Your cable car goes back and forth along the crooked street while you view your surroundings and the lush flowers. Along the sides, there could be shops and restaurants that take advantage of the nice view of flowers and descending cable cars. This could really add a lot of charm and a little education...right now, all I know is that San Francisco makes clam chowder.

This should be a CHARMING ride. Disney's not good at trying to be hip (supersnore lame-o). This should appeal to families, especially kids, but also have enough in the ride to be appreciated and liked ball all ages.

SimpTwister
03-05-2002, 04:48 PM
I LOVE the Cable Car Dark Ride idea!

I, too, have advocated expanding the San Francisco area, up to and including the Mulholland Madness location.

I also agree that it's silly that the Golden Gate Bridge is nowhere near San Francisco... DUH. That was a real bonehead move on Disney's part.

ricksfca
03-11-2002, 04:30 PM
Also, wouldn't it be fun to have the Disneyland RR also go around the berm of DCA? It would add a lot of movement to those quiet areas in the park and give Disneyland visitors a chance to see DCA and, hopefully, whet their appetite.

The Autopia could also extend from Tomorrowland into DCA with a little reconfiguration. Then you can have an autopia in DCA as well that would travel to Disneyland! The autopia section would be over by Superstar Limo....that would add the whole Hollywood "Traffic" motif that would go well in this area that needs more movement and sights. What kid wouldn't want to get on autopia with the chance to sneak a peek at the park across the way?

If the autopia reconfiguration thing works, it would free up a lot of land in Disneyland and give a HUGE amount of space for a great attraction (submarine lagoon, autopia, speed boats).

What do you all think?

Kuzcotopia
03-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Here's the thinking. Two ideas here. One is if I can make a big change, the other is if I can only make a small change.

Big change: Disney's California WATER Adventure! Extend downtown Disney to take up the buildings for hollywood and the airplane land, and everything else build into an amazing water park.

A water park with Waterslides AND real rides and a pier and a Rapids ride. Sure, you can ride California Screamin' in wet swim trunks! Make the whole lake a giant wave pool that washes onto a beach that is currently on the San Fransisco side!. Make waterslides come down from Grizzly peak, make some Pier themed waterslides too! Anyway.

Little Idea:

Don't be afraid to use fantasy in dealing with real things in California.

For example, re-theme Journey to the Center of the Earth to be an earthquake-themed ride. Instead of a volcano, and with a jules verne theme, make it like a modern scientific study into plate-tectonics. Make it a fantasy journey where instead of the lava monster there is an earthquake monster, whose burrows collapse to create siesmic shifts.

My point is, California can be a springboard for fantasy journies, not just real journies.

Morrigoon
03-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Disney's America

Nigel2
03-11-2002, 10:35 PM
I think you are addicted to the DA idea Morr....:D I think there is a 12 step program you should look into. :D

ricksfca
03-12-2002, 09:43 AM
I would love to see America Sings make it's comeback if DA ever happens. Which we call know it won't.

I could see it now, though:

Parents buying "and call it macaroni" kids meals that come with a feather to stick in your cap...all for only $12.

The Wright Brothers balsa wood airplanes with a different Disney character onboard...collect all 20 (only $22.95 each)

Special buffalo burgers - to honor America ($9.50 1/4 pound, no cheese).

Visit "Bye Bye Miss American Pie" for your slice of fresh fruit pie at only $7 a slice ($1 extra for whipped cream)

Pizzas made with patriotic American Cheese (just like Mickey would have!) $22 each

and on and on and on..............

zapppop
03-12-2002, 04:08 PM
JUST JOKING AROUND:
In 2004 TDA will change the name of the park
from DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
to CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE PARIS
a wish to link up the park with the romantic city of Paris ( only 5,000 miles away ) and disassociate the poor reputation and public mistrust of all things DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA. :D

SERIOUSLY:
They should just change it to Walt Disney Studios.
That way, they aren't so limited as to what they can put in there and if they choose to add A Bug's Land or keep the Main Street Electrical Parade, at least it would fit in with the theme of Disney movies ( although the argument against it would be, that's what Disneyland is for ). :o

DZNEENUT
03-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Expand San Francisco AND add a China Town section that includes a Mulan Dark Ride. No it's not CA history but it is Chinese culture and that is a part of CA history. Call it China Camp like those in the gold rush country and place it near Redwood Creek.

A volcano ride! We have several active volcanoes in this state. Mt. Shasta, Lassen, Long Valley, etc.

P.S. Don't buy real estate in Mammoth (Long Valley). It's a huge volcano just waiting to blow.

MonorailMan
03-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by DZNEENUT

P.S. Don't buy real estate in Mammoth (Long Valley). It's a huge volcano just waiting to blow.

Correction! It wont blow for another 10,000 years, it's just "Bulging" right now. :)

Source: My Geology Teacher: Mr. Gay. :)

ricksfca
03-13-2002, 12:12 PM
How about little sailboats that fit about 4-6 passengers each going around the lagoon? They could travel at a slow pace, maybe have music onboard and part of the sail could be used to shade passengers from the sun. The sailboats would be on a track that could later be incorporated into a nightime show (ala Fantasmic barges). This would give a lot of movement to the stagnant lagoon and create a very low cost ride that EVERYONE could ride.

And if the passengers were given soapy sponges as they get on the ride, they would be able to clean crap island as they pass by it!

Wouldn't it have been cool to have the skyway back at Disneyland going to stations in DCA? Too bad that'll never happen in this litigious society.

Nigel2
03-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by ricksfca
Parents buying "and call it macaroni" kids meals that come with a feather to stick in your cap...all for only $12.

The Wright Brothers balsa wood airplanes with a different Disney character onboard...collect all 20 (only $22.95 each)

Special buffalo burgers - to honor America ($9.50 1/4 pound, no cheese).

Visit "Bye Bye Miss American Pie" for your slice of fresh fruit pie at only $7 a slice ($1 extra for whipped cream)

Ah it's funny how Americans took the insulting song Yankee Doodle Dandy and made it a favorite.:D

I think they still sell balsawood models of various famous planes at the Smithsonian for a little more than that.:eek:

Bisen burgers... we don't have buffalo.:)

Does the pie come with chessnuts and dead rockstars?:eek:

DBJ
03-14-2002, 03:14 PM
Here is the short term fix:

Free with paid admission to Disneyland. That way, when guests grumble about how so many things in Disneyland are shut down, they can bounce over to DCA.

Long term fix: Find a way to appeal to not only families with small children, but also to families with teens, young adults, etc.
Too many of their rides are entirely one or the other in DCA. The best Disneyland rides have that appeal (Space Mountain, Indy, Star Tours, Splash Mountain) yet in DCA they forgot the simple concept. Also, it would be time for Disney to return to the forefront of theme park ride design, and not create tepid clones of rides already in existence. Of course, that requires master planning and the committment to spend the money to create a quality product, which judging by the most recent theme parks built by Disney their new goal is to scrape by with minimal effort.