PDA

View Full Version : Too cold for Splash Mountain on 1st December weekend?

dws_60
10-03-2005, 04:30 AM
hi
i was wondering how the weather was in early december... because dd wants to ride splash mtn then? can we plan for it or are the water rides out?
Thanks
David

disneyhound
10-03-2005, 05:39 AM
...can we plan for it or are the water rides out?...
This is not a ride that one typically gets wet on. Generally just some mist on the face. Temperatures during the day can still be in the upper 70's, sometimes even higher. The only ride to avoid if it is cold, and you do not want to get wet, is Grizzly over at DCA. IMHO

hlbtimes2
10-03-2005, 05:54 AM
We rode it a couple times during our Dec. 2003 trip. Try not to be seated in the front. If anyone is going to get wet, its usually the front person in the log. Also, dont wear jeans. If they do get wet, they take forever to dry!

stan4d_steph
10-03-2005, 06:47 AM
If you want to ride it, make sure to do it before it gets dark. Usually it's warm and sunny enough during the day that it won't matter if you get a little wet.

Whittibo
10-03-2005, 07:11 AM
we were here last year from Nov 26th till Dec 8th or something like that, it was FREEZING for this area. Unexpected cold/storms came through California but we still rode Splash several times. As mentioned above, you don't get soaked. We also rode Grizzly River Run a couple times, but did pick the warmest part of the day. I think you'll be just fine! If you want something bad enough, there's always a way. ;)

Also, you could bring a change of clothes and store them in the lockers if necessary.

tstan70
10-03-2005, 07:12 AM
I went on Splash mountain last year with my 4 yr old daughter on the Sunday night after Thanksgiving (November 28). Anaheim had a cold spell that week and it was chilly. We got a couple of drops of water splashed on us and that was about it.

I live in Salt Lake City and the winter here is much, much colder, but due to the humidity, 55 degrees in Anaheim seemed cool to us.

janell
10-03-2005, 07:20 AM
If you are staying close to the park, make Splash Mt. the last ride you go on before going back to your hotel (that is if you are going back to your hotel before dark) The ride you will get soaked on is Grizzly Run at DCA, but Splash Mt. not to bad.

Have fun. :)

THpoohbear
10-03-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm going to disagree with the other posters on this one and say that there is a very good chance you can get reasonalby soaked. It depends on the weight distribution on the log. Once on one of the little drops inside and wave came right over the side of the log and soaked my entire right side (and I was in jeans). Many other times on the large drop I've gotten wet from my head to my toes. However, I've also gone on it and had only a drop or two. If you desire, you can take a change of clothes and more importantly shoes, and store them in the lockers on main street. Or, wear a light poncho if you are nervous about getting wet. I do agree with going on the ride very early in the day or towards lunch, when you'll have time to dry out. The only thing that is hard to dry are sneakers, so maybe wear different shoes or take an extra pair. :)

geoffa
10-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Or you can take the coward's way out and wear ponchos! Something that amazes me when peole do this in high summer.

geoffa
10-03-2005, 09:53 AM
And surely the point of a thrill ride with water is to get wet. You won't get soaked on Splash Mountain. I've had wetter butts on POTC.

HydroGuy
10-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Those who have ridden Splash a lot know that you most likely will not get very wet, but there is a chance you can get very wet. I've ridden it many times in the past, and during our August trip rode it four times. On one night as it was nearing midnight, I rode it with two of my kids. It was like we were always in the wrong place at the wrong time, and we got wet on every turn. Waves that normally disperse instead reflected and came back at us in certain spots and swamped the sides. We got way more wet on that particiular ride than we did on our first ride on GRR. As it was our second to last ride of the night, it was no biggie. We just returned to the hotel in our wet clothes and changed. I didn't know you could get that wet on Splash. Now I do. But 99% of the time, you won't get very wet.

Mermaid
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree with HydroGuy. I usually don't get very wet but when I was there last weekend, we got SOAKED!! we had a sled full of adults and i think the wieght may have contributed to that. My dad was convinced it was the new logs and would not believe it was a fluke, so that was our only trip on Splash!! We were expecting it at GRR but not at Splash. This family actually came up to us and asked if that was normal because if so, they wouldn't ride! UT- we dried off in a few hors and it wasn't that bad. I went last Dec and rode without a problem. I would at leaqst bring dry socks because there is little worse then walking around in wet socks!!

Dr. G
10-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I'll second (or 3rd or 4th) what has been said. Normally you don't get wet, but sometimes you really do. We bought $1 ponchos at Target before going and used them on Splash for the little kids in December and it worked out fine. I've never worn a poncho on Splash, but I do in the winter on Grizzly River Run. Have a great trip!

p.s. dws 60: Looks like you're in France. J'aime la France. J'ai vecu a Paris pour deux ans. Mais j'ai oublie, un peu au moins, comment eppeller et parler en francais. Hope I didn't butcher that too much :)

DianeM
10-03-2005, 11:38 AM
I've noticed that when I ride "wet" rides on cooler days I don't seem to get as wet. I think that they can adjust the water levels and speed a bit to control how wet the riders get. I could be wrong, but it is a trend I've noticed. Anyway, if you want to ride splach just do it. It isn't going to be freezing in Anaheim in December, and you can always pop back to the hotel and change (or bring a spare set of clothing and rent a locker). We always take an afternoon break, anyway, and often ride the wet rides just before the break so we don't get caught soaking wet in an air-conditioned ride or show.

hi
i was wondering how the weather was in early december... because dd wants to ride splash mtn then? can we plan for it or are the water rides out?
Thanks
David

mariogarza
10-03-2005, 11:41 AM
I went twice in May on Splash Mountain...and believe me, after they installed the new logs, it's definitely weter....Both times I got really soaked, one in the front and one in the last row, and both times I ended up with my shirt and my pants totally soaked, way more than GRR....the thing is that those days were quite cold in the night, and both times was at night...:rolleyes:

Alice Fan
10-03-2005, 11:53 AM
We went last November at Thanksgiving and again this past June and rode Splash Mountain twice both trips. I definitely think the weight of the riders has something to do with how wet you get...with hubby and sons being big guys, we always get wet. In June we got REALLY wet (I also wondered if they adjust that in the hot Summer months!) We ride it first thing when we get there, then again before lunch. This gives us all day to dry off if we get soaked!

junglemom
10-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Like the others I try to stay on the wet rides during the daylight hours, but I also, keep a pair of flip flops handy to wear on GRR so my socks and tennies stay dry, you could do that for Splash too if you really don't want wet feet.

TowerofTerror
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
so what go ride it as long as you brought extra clothes ride splash mountain. the line will be very short or have no line at all

SassyNYLady
10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I have ridden SM at all times of the year...and I cannot recall "getting wetter" in one season more than another.

For me, it's been completely random. And, I will agree, the new logs tend to be a little wetter.

There's no way to tell if that splash is going to come on the second inside drop or not...but, it can and does happen.

So, just be prepared. Do it in the middle of the day. And, be prepared for the worst. (i.e. a soaking). Jeans *are* the worst in terms of drying.

But, man, the downside of possibly getting soaked is totally worth it to me.

Durliin
10-03-2005, 01:09 PM
I've noticed that when I ride "wet" rides on cooler days I don't seem to get as wet. I think that they can adjust the water levels and speed a bit to control how wet the riders get. I could be wrong, but it is a trend I've noticed. Anyway, if you want to ride splach just do it. It isn't going to be freezing in Anaheim in December, and you can always pop back to the hotel and change (or bring a spare set of clothing and rent a locker). We always take an afternoon break, anyway, and often ride the wet rides just before the break so we don't get caught soaking wet in an air-conditioned ride or show.

We do not adjust the Water levels or "slow"the flume speed down. With the new logs I have seen many of gets come off the Attraction Soaked or pretty wet. It mainly depends on how the log is balanced if you sit in the 4th or 5th seat you have a good chance of not getting wet at all.

dws_60
10-03-2005, 01:12 PM
I have ridden SM at all times of the year...and I cannot recall "getting wetter" in one season more than another.

For me, it's been completely random. And, I will agree, the new logs tend to be a little wetter.

There's no way to tell if that splash is going to come on the second inside drop or not...but, it can and does happen.

So, just be prepared. Do it in the middle of the day. And, be prepared for the worst. (i.e. a soaking). Jeans *are* the worst in terms of drying.

But, man, the downside of possibly getting soaked is totally worth it to me.
well, i ve been talking with brother and sister in law with whom we ll be going and they said that maybe we should not ride this since dd is very prone to catching a cold and we dont want to have her sick the rest of the week end...
but thanks all for your kind replies
Take care
David