PDA

View Full Version : Is there high tea at the Disneyland Resort?

milliesmom
10-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Once upon a time there was a tea party at the Paradise Pier hotel but I believe it has been cancelled. Is there anywhere in the resort to have a tea party or high tea? Not something for kids but with real food that adults prefer?

Thanks!

Rhiannon8404
10-02-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm not aware of anything like this, but I like the idea! They could do a tie-in with Jane from Tarzan and do traditional English tea.

Dexter
10-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Milliesmom,

What you're asking about is\was called "Mary Poppins Practically Perfect Tea" and it was located on the second floor of the Paradise Pier hotel. Unfortunately, I believe they have since discontinued that particular program, but I'm having trouble finding out if they infact did.

I did find this article http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm020307.htm ,with details on what used to take place. I think the best option would be to call the resort event services line at 714-781-4000 or you can try the dining reservation line at 714-781-3463 and see if they still accept reservations for it.

adriennek
10-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Practically Perfect Tea was discontinued. There were rumors that they were going to reopen it as a princess tea but that never came to be. :(

It was closed in September 2002, and Here's an explanation of why (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=409246&postcount=3) You can search "Mary Poppins Tea" in this forum to find some more posts about the old tea. If anyone wants to continue any of those discussions, feel free to link them in this thread to discuss them or start a new thread to link and discuss them. Please don't resurrect such old threads. :)

Adrienne

CrazyTrain
10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
:( I'd love to go to something like that.

Opus1guy
10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
A possible nearby option if you've really got your heart set on a tea service:

Victorian Manor Tea Rooms
204 N Olive St, Orange, CA 92703
714-771-4044

Description: OLD TOWNE ORANGE. A charming pink Victorian house surrounded by a white picket fence - not necessarily the type of place you'd expect in So Cal, right? Located in Old Towne, this early 20th century mansion has been converted into a favorite afternoon destination of well-to-do folks. Enjoy high tea as in London - a pot of Lady Barbara or Countess Anne tea served with scones, homemade soup, tea sandwiches, chocolate candies, and delicious desserts displayed on a three-tiered platter.

An FYI note for those that don't know this: The tea service described above by this review site lists this incorrectly as "High Tea." This is actually called an "Afternoon Tea." This is a common mistake here in America primarily because of this type of service being incorrectly referred to has "High Tea" in movies and TV shows.

A High Tea would traditionally contain much more substantial fare on the bill such as cornish pasties, Scotch woodcock, Welsh rabbit or other meat and fish dishes...in addition to the scones and crumpets and such.

An Afternoon Tea is what many Americans incorrectly refer to as High Tea. An Afternoon Tea is usually tea accompanied by finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, jams, and other sweets and savories.

High Tea functions as sort of the evening meal or supper, while the Afternoon Tea is meant as more of a snack service between lunch and a usually late scheduled dinner.

So if you're looking for the lighter tea and savories thing most U.S. folks think of...show your savvy by ordering the "Afternoon Tea" service, rather than "High Tea" service. Though I suspect that most tea parlor operators have heard the wrong term used so many times, that if you use High Tea...they'll probably guess what you really want.

adriennek
10-04-2005, 08:28 PM
An FYI note for those that don't know this: The tea service described above by this review site lists this incorrectly as "High Tea." This is actually called an "Afternoon Tea." This is a common mistake here in America primarily because of this type of service being incorrectly referred to has "High Tea" in movies and TV shows.

A High Tea would traditionally contain much more substantial fare on the bill such as cornish pasties, Scotch woodcock, Welsh rabbit or other meat and fish dishes...in addition to the scones and crumpets and such.

An Afternoon Tea is what many Americans incorrectly refer to as High Tea. An Afternoon Tea is usually tea accompanied by finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, jams, and other sweets and savories.

This is the tea that we went to for my (counting in my head) third 'surprise' party. It is a cute little place.

Adrienne