PDA

View Full Version : Annual Passport Purchase Decision and Use

DadandFamily
10-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Annual Passport Purchase Decision and Use

This link is a compilation of things you may want to consider in determining which Annual Passport to purchase and your experiences in using an Annual Passport. Any information you have to add to the below will be most welcome.

ABBREVIATIONS
SCSAP - Southern California Select Annual Passport (AKA: SoCalSel)
SCAP - Southern California Annual Passport (AKA: SoCal)
DAP - Deluxe Annual Passport (AKA: Deluxe)
PAP - Premium Annual Passport (AKA: Premium)

I. BASE FEES
In September 2, 2005, Annual Passports went up $20 in price, as shown at http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/reserve/ticketListing?name=TicketListingPage . If you know how often Disneyland raises it’s Annual Passport prices, please post.

SCSAP - now $119 (up $20), 175 days
SCAP - remains at $149, 220 days
DAP – now $229 (up $20), 315 days
PAP - remains $349, 365 days

II. PARKING ADD ON (A Must!)
SCSAP - Remains $49
SCAP - Remains $49
DAP - The Remains $49
PAP – Remains $0 (included with PAP)

III. BASE FEE LESS $10 DISCOUNTS
SCSAP - $109 with Vons Coke can and purchase at Disneyland park
SCAP - $139 with Vons Coke can and purchase at Disneyland park
DAP - $229: no discount
PAP - $349: no discount

IV. SPECIAL PASSES-- No present special passes that I know of.
-- In September 2004, Disney announced an Albertsons $89 “Disney Fall Pass” for locals (zip codes 90000-93599 – no San Francisco liberals!) that gave unlimited admission to both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure park through December 16, 2004, excluding Thanksgiving weekend November 26, 27 and 28, and the Disney Fall Pass was not subject to blackout days as is the SoCal Select annual pass. http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040913.htm

V. WHICH ANNUAL PASSPORT IS FOR YOU?

A. Block Out Dates
SCSAP - 175 days (no Sat, Sun, no April, June, July, August, no holidays, no weekdays near holidays)
SCAP - 220 days – For $30 more, adds Sundays to SCSAP
DAP – 315 days – For $110 more, adds , Sun, April, June, July, August, and most holidays to SCSAP
PAP - 365 days – For $230 more, adds all days to SCSAP

B. Block Out Dates Links
SCSAP - http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/media/dlr_v0200/en_US/ap/bod/socalsel_blockout_0905.pdf
SCAP - http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/media/dlr_v0200/en_US/ap/bod/socal_blockout_0905.pdf
DAP – http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/media/dlr_v0200/en_US/ap/bod/deluxe_blockout_0905.pdf
PAP - 365 days

C. Avoiding crowds At Disneyland
** Summer (April through September) is more crowded than when school is in session.
** The end of summer is the most crowded, with the last-minute-before-school-goes-back people on vacation to deal with also.
** Weekends are always much busier than weekdays.
** Saturday’s are blocked off for most APs since Disney can fill Disneyland on Saturday without APs
** Sunday is THE day for AP (annual pass) holders to visit - of all types, so Sunday is crowded with those kinds of people and the difference between the Saturday good and the Sunday pushy crowd is like night and day
** If you go during the week in the off season (when school is in) you can walk onto most rides in DL.

D. Other Considerations
My wife and I live about 20 miles from Disneyland. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=1313+S+Harbor+Blvd+&city=Anaheim&state=CA We have two children, both under three, but one will turn three next May and the other will turn three in two years. Three to Five hour stretches at the park may be typical for our visits. My work has flexible hours, enabling us to go to Disneyland on the weekdays. It seems like an SCSAP is a good option for us ($267 total = $109+$109+$49). I called Disneyland and the operator said that most people who buy an SCSAP eventually upgrade to a DAP because of all the blockout dates. She suggested I buy DAPs ($507 total = $229+$229+$49).

My thinking is that we can drive over to Disneyland after weekday naptime ends at 2 PM, spend four or five hours at Disneyland, then drive home. As for the weekends, I can always find things to do on the weekends other than go to Disneyland (we live on SoCal after all!) and you have the big weekend crowds at Disneyland.

So here’s where I’m at and am looking for advice on which package SCSAP, SCAP, DAP, PAP may be the best for me. Any suggestions are welcome.

K & S
10-02-2005, 11:43 AM
I get the premium, I live 32 miles from the park and go at least twice a month. With the premium you get free parking and at least a 10% discount on all food and everything you buy.

In my sister's family she gets the premium and her husband and kids get the Deluxe, since she is the one most likely to be taking the kids to the park. By doing it that way they still get the benefit of free parking and discounts.

mkcbunny
10-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Well, if you care for advice from a NoCal liberal, I'd say you don't sound like you need the Deluxe. And you can always upgrade if you think that you were wrong [although better to do it sooner than later to get the most for that cost increase]. It sounds like you wouldn't want to go on Sundays, so no reason to get the SCAP; just go with the SCSAP. But it really depends on when you think you'd go. If you think the select schedule works for you, then that's the more economical option. Again, you could upgrade if you have an epiphany after buying your tix.

I have the DAP, not being a local. As I tend to go in May, November, and January, I can easily work with the few blockout dates during those times.

DianeM
10-02-2005, 12:23 PM
You seem to really know the park. My husband and I love DL, but hate crowds. It's not even just a preference - I'm prone to anxiety attacks, and pushy crowds tend to trigger them. The last time I watched fantasmic I was sobbing because of the stress of being in the crowds. We skipped fantasmic and the fireworks last time we visited, because the friday night crowds were so heavy, but we'd really like to see the fireworks next time. Are there any times of the year/week that the fireworks crowds are a bit smaller. I know I can steel myself for some crowds... but very dense ones are horrible. The rest of the park we manage just fine - we always visit wednesday through thursday in the off season. There are often some things closed, but the lack of crowding more than compensates for it.
My thinking is that we can drive over to Disneyland after weekday naptime ends at 2 PM, spend four or five hours at Disneyland, then drive home. As for the weekends, I can always find things to do on the weekends other than go to Disneyland (we live on SoCal after all!) and you have the big weekend crowds at Disneyland.

lauramaynot
10-02-2005, 01:36 PM
I say you do what you think you need. You know what your family wants to and can do. if you don't think you will use it that much go for the cheeper pass but if you will use it 3 or 4 times during the year the deluxe pays for itself. Of course the more you go the more you spend on other things too (like food and toys for your kids) so I guess it is all relative. but don't let the CM or any of us push you into something you don't want. I have taken small kids to the park and I know they have limits and sometimes adults should too. ;)

potzbie
10-02-2005, 09:16 PM
If you have never had an Annual Pass, then it only makes sense to get the cheapest one the first year.

Why?
You need to know IF you have an AP, WILL you use it often enough to save money on a per-visit basis.

For example, it is cheaper (with exceptions) to get Annual Passes for other theme parks (KNOTT"S BERRY FARM and UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD and SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN and both SAN DIEGO animal enclosures).
For a family with toddlers, that is a temptation -- An annual pass the other parks will likely be less cost, up front.
If you had Annual Passes for any of those, would you visit often enough to justify the outlay of funds?
Likewise for DL/DCA.--How often would you go, if you had an AP?

20 miles away is good. Better than me.
(I am in the San Gabriel Valley. I don't what that is in MILES, but with light traffic, like on a Sunday morning, 7:00 a.m., it is 35 minutes away from home to the parking structure.)
You can leave before rush hour, and stay until the off-season closing hour of 8:00 p.m., and still justify the trip.

Are you willing to limit your visits to DL when the park closes so (relatively) early, i.e., 8:00 p.m.?
And, when DCA closes early at 6:00 p.m.?

If you use the least-inexpensive AP, then you will begin your savings on trip number three.
(i.e., So. Cal. discounted one-day park hopper would sum up to 71 + 71 + 71 = $230; whereas the low-level AP is less than $230.)
Will you actualy GO to DL three times in twelve months?
Are you willing to sacrifice 100% of the summer and 100% of all Saturdays?

(I cannot. -- I upgraded primarily due to the Big Band music at the Plaza Gardens and Rock music at Club Buzz; all on SATURDAYS! I also could not go cold turkey for 90 days, all summer long. I did it the first year. Not since!)

You'll have to go in off season months.
You cannot use the cheap AP for the weeks that involve EASTER; SUMMER (incl. July 4th; incl. Labor Day); THANKSGIVING; CHRISTMAS.
That kind of implies that FEBRUARY/MARCH and SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER would be clear.

Are you willing to visit DL when maintenance/refurbishment (down time) is most likely?

Are you willing to go when the parades are LEAST likely to be scheduled?

Are you willing to go when FIREWORKS are LEAST likely to be scheduled?

Are you willing to miss out the "holiday overlays"?

On the plus side, once you have any kind of AP, the discounted price to get in on a BLACKOUT day is low. -- $30 last time I looked.
So it is not the case that you "must miss out" on anything.
You only pay half as much more, if you REALLY wanted to see the "Holiday overlay" of Haunted Mansion or It's A Small World.

On the plus side, you can use your AP for discounts on food and merchandise.

On the plus side, AP holders get updates first on upcoming events.
For example, you might take advantage of the Thanksgiving meal at the Disneyland Hotel, which sells out every year, or this year's DCA trick-or-treat. The AP newsletter lists these things in its calendar.

Bottom line.
How often do you visit DLR now?

If you go twice a year, then it is not yet cost effective to get an AP, all things being equal.
Are all other things equal?

DadandFamily
10-03-2005, 09:52 AM
So far, the replies are exactly what I was looking for.

Potzbie, you really have a lot of insight as to the Annual Passport Purchase Decision. That DL closes at 8:00 PM and DCL closes at 6:00 PM was an eye opener (something I didn’t think of). And the rest were eye openers as well. At best, if my son wakes from his nap at 2:00 PM (sometimes its at 4:00 PM), we take an hour to get to the gates at 3:00 PM, that gives us about 3 to 5 hours to enjoy to park. That might work out, I don’t know. I haven't been to DL in 5 years and now live close enough to make it my monthly home.

DianeM – I suffered from anxiety attacks from age 30 to age 40 due to childhood trauma. I had a fear of small groups (3 to 6 people) but had no problem teaching in front of a class full of adults or large crowds. Go figure. I had all the other usual anxiety symptoms. I somehow grew out of the anxiety attacks after age 40 (no treatment ever helped), so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just hang in there.

Here’s some questions:

1. Beyond entrance, do each of the APs differ in the discounts and other items?

2. From you experience, what exactly does a 2 year old do at DL and what is it like to have a 2 month old at DL??

3. What are your experiences (bad and good) using APs?

Dexter
10-03-2005, 12:28 PM
<snip>

Here’s some questions:

2. From you experience, what exactly does a 2 year old do at DL and what is it like to have a 2 month old at DL??

Unfortunately, I can only answer the first question.

The level of pass determines what discounts are availble to you and what days you can and can't gain entry into the park. You can buy a blackout pass for any days that are blacked out on a lower level pass. Premium passes are not blocked out and recieve the most discounts.

The premium pass recieves a 15% discount on almost all food locations (except ODV), while a deluxe pass only recieves a 10% discount on food. The premium pass also gets a 10% discount on purchases over $10 at all merchandise locations in the park except for the crystal shops and specialty stores/carts in the park. In your particular instance, I would suggest just one person get a premium pass and everyone else get the Deluxe pass only because that has the least ammount of black out dates. The premium passholder can make all the food purchases and souvenier purchases (if you decide to purchase anything.)

lauramaynot
10-04-2005, 03:19 PM
So far, the replies are exactly what I was looking for.

Potzbie, you really have a lot of insight as to the Annual Passport Purchase Decision. That DL closes at 8:00 PM and DCL closes at 6:00 PM was an eye opener (something I didn’t think of). And the rest were eye openers as well. At best, if my son wakes from his nap at 2:00 PM (sometimes its at 4:00 PM), we take an hour to get to the gates at 3:00 PM, that gives us about 3 to 5 hours to enjoy to park. That might work out, I don’t know. I haven't been to DL in 5 years and now live close enough to make it my monthly home.

DianeM – I suffered from anxiety attacks from age 30 to age 40 due to childhood trauma. I had a fear of small groups (3 to 6 people) but had no problem teaching in front of a class full of adults or large crowds. Go figure. I had all the other usual anxiety symptoms. I somehow grew out of the anxiety attacks after age 40 (no treatment ever helped), so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just hang in there.

Here’s some questions:

My kids have been going with me to the park since they were babies. I think that there are more things that you can ride than things that you can't. but of course anything with a height limit is out. Since you are close just make sure to get a sitter and take your wife to the park for date night and ride to your hearts content. my babies loved all of the shows, county bears was the best! and they still love the tiki room. I also liked taking my babies into the Main Street cinema when they fell asleep in the stroller. It is nice and cool in there and we would sit and watch cartoons and wait for our baby to wake up. also don't under estimate the train we once stayed on it for almost two hours because everytime we stoped my son who was two at the time insisted that we ride again...as for using AP's, I love them. I always have a reason to go to DL...it's close to free:D also I like the discounts on food and free parking is awesome...it is much faster than handing the CM a 20 and waiting for change.

Jwebbal
10-04-2005, 09:58 PM

Well since I have been taking my kid to Disneyland since he was 2 months old and he is now almost 2 I feel I can answer this question pretty well. At 2 months my partner and I would go on dark rides like Haunted mansion, Pirates, Peter Pan, etc with our baby in a sling (do you know what this is?). He would sleep, we would have fun. We obviously could not do height limit rides together (sometimes we would trade off with the baby, but usually we were content to go on the other rides). We would walk around the park a lot, enjoy the day and the weather, the scenery. We would have nice meals together. As our son got older he started to enjoy the live music, a few of the rides. We went often, it was a nice family day. We started with SC passes, then upgraded last year to Deluxe, and now I have a premium pass (I do think its best for one person to have this in your family) so I can go anytime I want, and since I am a stay at home mom, I go alot. Our son really started to enjoy the music, and once he started walking I would take him to places like Tom Sawyer's Island where he could walk around and explore with me following him. Once he could do stairs we would do things like Tarzan's treehouse, again with me following. He could go on bigger rides and actually get something out of them, and enjoys all of them (except for the first dark dip on Pirates). He is still not 36 inches yet (almost! its the first minimum height requirement) so he cannot enjoy those rides, but frankly I don't think the Matterhorn is appropriate for preschoolers (very bumpy). We take him for the live music, which he loves! Piano men using him as part of their routine, Innoventions music guys dancing with him, pop music in tomorrowland dancing with all the other kids, etc.

He now knows who Mickey is and loves him to pieces. He says "deeseylannn" when he sees pics of the castle. We enjoy ourselves and take our time, no stress (though the bigger crowds do tire me). I like having the higher passes because so many things don't run during the week (I have yet to go on the canoes) and they have more entertainment on the weekends. I also like going several times during the holidays. Now my kid loves to walk around holding my hand, is starting to try to use the small potties in the baby care station, can finally eat some of the junk food (I never allowed him until just recently), and we really enjoy ourselves as a family. We live about 30 minutes away, and I have been known to just drop stuff and drive to the park as a respite for both my kid and I when he needs stimulation and I need a bit of a break from SAHM stuff.

I like the freedom of the premium pass for me, I can go when I like. I went on the big anniversary celebration alone with my kid and had a great time. My kid can handle naps at Disneyland, though its getting harder. Thats where my sling comes in handy, he still likes to fall asleep there and then I can put him down in the stroller. I like getting the discounts and since I have probably been to the park 15 times in the last year, and usually eat one meal in the park, its worth it. The free parking alone makes it worthwhile. My partner has a Deluxe pass and that works well for us so far, Grandma has one as well, so I can take her when I want to go and she is free. We use fast pass as much as possible to avoid waiting in lines with a toddler, we take advantage of rider switch when we can, I look forward to when my kid hits some of the height limits so he can go on certain rides, but honestly he can go on most that I would want him on anyway. He loves riding autotopia with me, riding the train, exploring innoventions (great with a crawling baby if you are willing to put your kid down on carpet, my only misgiving about the park is that there is no grassy area for something like this), seeing the animals in the petting zoo, hugging Mickey (both the character and the statue in one of the stores), running around in DCA puddle park with his trunks and water shoes on getting soaked, watching the elephants in aladdin, etc, etc.

DadandFamily
10-06-2005, 03:52 AM
Here are the AP discounts per

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/reserve/ticketListing?name=TicketListingPage&bhcp=1#

SCSAP - 10% dining ($10 minimum purchase)
SCAP - 10% dining ($10 minimum purchase)
DAP - 10% dining ($10 minimum purchase)
PAP - 10-15% dining ($10 minimum purchase) & 10% merchandise ($10 minimum purchase)

Here are the AP features in more detail
__________________________________________________ _

With a Premium Annual Passport, you'll enjoy:
• 365 consecutive days of admission to both Disneyland&#174; Resort theme parks and unlimited enjoyment of attractions (except arcades and midway games) during regular operating hours.*
• 10% merchandise discount at select locations throughout the Disneyland&#174; Resort ($10 minimum purchase; restrictions apply)
• Exclusive benefits at select Downtown Disney&#174; District locations
• Free annual parking pass for the Mickey & Friends parking structure. (subject to availability; restrictions apply)
• 10-15% dining discount at select Disneyland&#174; Resort restaurants ($10 minimum purchase; restrictions apply)
• Special rates at the Hotels of the Disneyland&#174; Resort (subject to availability; restrictions apply)

The Deluxe Annual Passport includes these benefits:
• Enjoy 315 pre-selected days of admission to both Disneyland&#174; Resort theme parks.
• 10% dining discount at select Disneyland&#174; Resort restaurants ($10 minimum purchase; restrictions apply)
• Special rates at the Hotels of the Disneyland&#174; Resort (subject to availability; restrictions apply)
• An annual parking pass for the Mickey & Friends parking structure is available for an additional $49. (subject to availability; restrictions apply)

The Southern California Annual Passport includes these benefits:
• Enjoy 220 pre-selected days of admission to both Disneyland&#174; Resort theme parks.
• 10% dining discount at select Disneyland&#174; Resort restaurants ($10 minimum purchase; restrictions apply)
• An annual parking pass for the Mickey & Friends parking structure is available for an additional $49. (subject to availability; restrictions apply).

The Southern California Select Annual Passport includes these benefits:
• Enjoy 175 pre-selected days of admission to both Disneyland&#174;Resort theme parks.
• An annual parking pass for the Mickey & Friends parking structure is available for an additional $49. (subject to availability; restrictions apply).

DadandFamily
10-06-2005, 04:04 AM
Here is a link to the AP Blockout Dates side-by-side comparison

http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/blackout.htm

DadandFamily
10-07-2005, 07:19 AM
For each AP discount, purchase one 12-pack of coke from Vons. Printed on inside of the coke cardboard container
is a DISNEYLAND RESORT ANNUAL PASSPORT OFFER for Southern California Residents, giving $20 off a SCAP and $10 off a SCSAP.

III. BASE FEE LESS DISCOUNTS
SCSAP - $109 with Vons Coke 12-pack can and purchase at Disneyland park
SCAP - $129 with Vons 12-pack Coke can and purchase at Disneyland park
DAP - $229: no discount
PAP - $349: no discount

Of course, the Coke/Disneyland discount coupon can only be used at DL. I called DL and they said to go to DL to buy the APs, pay for parking, buy the APs (one with parking) and I will be reimbursed for the parking that I paid to get in the park that day.

Since it's a $20 discount, I'm going to get two SCAPs. For $40 more than it would cost to get two SCSAP, my family will be able to go to the park on Sunday's as well.

I'm going to Disneyland today! I'll let you know how things turn out.