PDA

View Full Version : Trip report as I go

Whittibo
10-01-2005, 06:00 PM
I am here at DL, been here since Wednesday Sept 28th. I decided I better start documenting my trip (even without access to a spell check, sorry) but if I don't do it now, I will never remember what we have done.

We got off about 6:45 am on Wednesday, and stopped for a short potty break and 1 gas stop. None of us were too hungry, so we just ate snacks out of our "snack box" that I had previously filled.

We came a different way this time, we came down 99 to I5 and then once we got past the Grapevine, we hit 415 (I think that's what it was) which then we had to merge off onto the 22. There was road work going on, so our exit was closed. That was a bit confusing, but we still made it here. The thing I like about coming on I5 is that you come right off the freeway and THERE IT IS.. you see Disneyland. When we came off the 22, you don't see the park. :( But I did like the views on the 415 better then the 5.

We checked into our hotel at 2pm. We're staying at the Residence Inn Garden Grove, which I LOVE.. we got our conformation that said "non-smoking not available" and I called 2 days before we left and said that I can NOT stay in a smoking room. My kids and I have an asthma related condition and absolutly can NOT be around smoke or in a room filled with it for very long. They were very good, got ahold of the front desk for me and made sure we had a confirmed non-smoking room. We are up on the 8th floor, at the VERY end, but I am just grateful we got a non-smoking room.

Once we checked in, I unpacked everything and moved right on it. Staying here for 10 nights, you better believe I am going to make myself comfortable. I even move the fruniture around to accomidate MY taste. (I know.. it's goofy)

After we rested for a bit, we went out back to the Hyatt where we were to catch our shuttle. I knew there was a Starbucks in the Hyatt, and had gotten $75 (actually have $81) worth of Starbucks gift cards I got from redeeming my credit card points just for this purpose.. so we hit the Starbucks Hyatt and order our coffees and find out they don't take the gift cards there. Well.. that messed me up. oh well.. So we go outside to wait for our shuttle... the bus pulls up and it says HYATT and CLARION on the side. It wasn't for the Residence Inn like it was last year. OH NO!

Later we found out you have to use the ART bus, which we have been having bad luck with it seems.

So off to the park, the first ride was Space Mountain. My kids have been waiting for this moment for 2 years! We liked it, but didn't see what the big deal was, it didn't seem any different to us then the old one?? It always was great.

After SM, we hit the new Buzz ride. Our pictures are pretty amusing to say the least. You can see them at http://disneyland.com/buzzphotos and our numbers are:
048C1B20755F98166151CD04430ED4A0
441855A4FC6D9042510C09347E01BB40
401005C3641AD477411F43BD391284E4

We liked this ride, and need to do it again now that we know what we're supposed to do.

After Buzz, we hit Autopia. As always, the pedal was hard to push, and it was just "ok".. but I am hard to please. ;)

That was all we did that night, we came out for dinner since I was feeling a bit lightheaded after not eating a bite all day. We ate at Cocos which is just across Harbor from our hotel, it was good! A great value! After dinner, my husband took our middle and youngest daughters swimming while my oldest daughter and I went grocery shopping for the week.

Thursday we were up and to the park by 9:30ish. It was already getting hot. (I asked for GOOD WEATHER, not scorching hot weather!!) We were able to get on Splash twice with only about 5 minutes wait time each. We then hit Pooh and then went out to DtD to La Brea bakery for some blended mochas then over to DCA. We went straight to Soarin' as it was HOT and we needed a break. After Soarin' we got wet on Grizzly River run, again, no wait on either of these rides, then we took a break while the kids played in the Brother Bear Playground. Due to the EXTREME heat, we then went to Golden Dreams, but had a 18 minute wait for it. (the longest wait by FAR for anything). I liked it, the theater was nice, but it's not something I would do every trip.

We decided it was time to come back to the hotel (AKA "home") and have lunch. Then we went back in the evening and did most of the rides in Fantasy Land. We did Matterhorn at night, I don't recall doing that before. It was different. There is snow in there at night. ;)

Friday morning, back to the park early, each girl got to pick a ride they wanted, which was Space Mtn & Autopia, then took the train over to NoS to walk to Splash Mtn again. We only stayed a while in the park Friday because once it starts getting busy, I start getting grumpy. We left about noon, came back to get our van and off to the Character Warehouse for some shopping, and then back home for a 'home cooked meal'. (we had tacos and I even set the smoke alarms off in our room! Freaked me out, I was waiting for the fire trucks to arrive! there is NOT enough cross ventalation in these rooms to really "cook") lunch was GREAT though, we all had many servings.

My hubby took the girls to the pool for hours, while I cleaned and rested and had some "down time" and then it was back to the park about 7pm to sit and wait for the fireworks. OH MY GOSH.. it was totally amazing! I could not believe how wonderful the show was. VERY much worth the 2 hour wait, sitting on the street in front of the castle.

Today/Saturday.. we hit Knott's. Oh brother. It was nothing like I expeceted. I am glad I did it, but won't go back. My husband and I just kept shaking our heads at the stuff we saw. I think the worst thing, which really didn't register to us at first, but smoking apparently is allowed throughout the park (not IN the que's or rides of course) but as I mentioned earlier, we are VERY sensitve to smoke, and have had the pleasure of being free from that in DL. I think we took it for granted, as we were just disgusted by it in Knotts. I imagine however, that smokers must really feel great in Knotts for the same reason I like DL in regards to the smoke. It really woudln't be a problem, and I wouldn't care so much if it didn't make us so sick!

Ate at the Famous Fried Chicken resturant. It was good, but might not have been worth the $68 (plus tip) that we paid. My kids were hot right before lunch, so they got wet in the shower by the front gates, as we thouht we would have to wait in line for the chicken place, well, we didn't have any wait, so they were wet and cold and complaining the whole time. We went back to the park for a couple more hours and then left just after 5pm. I did get a henna tatoo of Mickey on my ankle. That was great. I think I am too chicken to do the real thing, so this was fun.

Tomorrow/Sunday will hopefully be a down day. I don't know how on earth we will pull this off as my kids will be driving us crazy, but we're really going to TRY to do it as starting Monday, we'll have 5 more days in the park, and then Saturday the 8th, have to drive 7+ hours home again. :(

I have a GREAT picture of the castle with fireworks behind it. I don't think I can post it until I get home, but boy, it's a pretty good one. (most didn't turn out).

More updates as they happen!! Now it's time for pizza! (Freshetta frozen pizza.. yumm!)

Mommy2NicknMax
10-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Sounds like you're having a great time!! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Mark Mywords
10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Cool! Have fun! Keep us updated!

rentayenta
10-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Fun report. :) Please continue when you have time.

TowerofTerror
10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
great trip your having so far. well keep having fun and enjoy your stay

MermaidHair
10-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a blast! I did not know about the snow in the Matterhorn at night - neat-o! I want to see that. . .

Whittibo
10-04-2005, 06:32 AM
Well I best catch this up again.
Sunday I took my girls shopping in DtD. The parking was EXCELLENT, I wasn't sure how that would work out, but loved it. We only hit World of Disney and Build A Bear. I let my girls build another "animal". That place is swamped. They really should expand. :s

Monday we drove to the parking lot, that was our first experience with that. We were on the Donald level, but in row 6, which is in the second structure.. so we had a pretty good walk to the tram. I found the tram quick and always there with an empty one waiting. I am not sure it will save us any time, and it will cost us slightly more, but all in all, it's 6 to 1, half a dozen to the other.. because they both have their "good points and bad". I think we'll continue to drive the rest of the week.. the thing I didn't like is getting out of the parking lot, you have to go all the way around Disneyland. But today should be easier since I know what I am doing now.

Yesterday morning my camera wouldn't start up. I had the problem on Saturday, but it resolved itself. But yesterday I just couldn't get it to work at all. I posted here and got some advice on cameras, and then headed off to Costco last night to buy a new camera. I think I'll be VERY happy with it. It's a huge upgrade from my old camera, (which was almost 3 years old, but still took great pictures). so I think I'll get some AMAZING pictures with this one.

Yesterday we spent the day in DCA. We hit ToT first, got our family photo from there, which turned out great this year. We went into the animation place.. it was fun, at least it was new. I discovered my middle daughter has a knack for drawing Mickey! Wow.. maybe she'll be an animater when she grows up.. ;)

we didn't win the Honda yesterday, but we still have 4 days left. I am sure we'll get one before we leave. ;)

So today we'll head off to Disneyland for the day again. I want to get to the Tiki room (I am planning on a dole whip after reading so much about them) and the 50th show in the Lincoln theater!

I can't believe how fast this trip is going. I would think staying 10 nights would be "enough".. but heck, I think I could live here and still never get enough. It's just a whole different world here, and not only in the park! :D