PDA

View Full Version : New show in DCA animation building?

LoveDL
10-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi, the new show in the animation building, I think it is called Animation Academy opened yesterday? Has anyone been yet? Just curious how you liked it, we reallly enjoyed the old show with Mushu.

Next trip Oct.8th-14th

dws_60
10-01-2005, 05:32 PM
hi,
im so glad they finally opened this part of disney animation at dlr too... we re huge fan of this in dlp where my dd can spend hours... the animation accademy is a place where u can learn step by step how to draw characters... its very cool ... the cm who is in charge of it goes around the tables and corrects u ...
my dd will be so happy to go there with uncle and aunt in december...
hope that helped!
take care and have fun
David

charpaul
10-03-2005, 05:15 AM
I went to a show on Sunday.
It was fun (got to draw Stitch!) and interesting to see how they break it all down.
We do not have tables in our academy - the room is the same as it was for the Mushu film. We get large lap-boards that have paper mounted on them.
They have spread the boards throughout the theatre giving you a lot of room / personal space to use. I sort of liked that.

I asked one CM about the characters. He mentioned Mickey, Minnie, and of course Stitch (the one we did). He said there are a total of 8 characters that are currently being taught. It depends on who you get for the "head animator" for your session. He led me to believe that they could be working on adding others....???

I would definitely go again! Even if I end up with Stitch - LOL
It is not something the VERY young will probably enjoy doing.
I look forward to going back and trying some of the other characters.
The CM's were all polite, encouraging, informative, and entertaining.

I sort of miss Mushu - but this is a nice new experience! As I was sitting there I thought to myself that the Mushu part might be an excellent Pre-Show to the Academy. But that might make the whole experience a little too long. Oh well--

truesally
10-03-2005, 06:31 AM
How long does this take? Are there set times for the "show"? What ages do you think it's best for? My kids (7 & 5) are pretty good at sitting still & being engaged in this type of activity, but I'm wondering if technically it might be too difficult? I think it's something my friend's 9yo son would love, though. Thanks for the heads-up!

stan4d_steph
10-03-2005, 06:54 AM
There's also a description in today's MousePlanet Disneyland Update. Here's a link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr051003.htm). :)

Darkbeer
10-03-2005, 07:05 AM
My group yesterday did Daisy Duck, it lasts about 15 minutes.

It was OK, but I think I preferred Drawn to Animation.

CrazyTrain
10-04-2005, 02:22 PM
My group yesterday did Daisy Duck, it lasts about 15 minutes.

It was OK, but I think I preferred Drawn to Animation.

Agreed! :fez:

Technically too difficult, no, she was good at explaining (ie. jellybean shape, egg shape) so kids should understand. It's technically hard if you stink at drawing like I do ;)

Clotho
10-04-2005, 02:45 PM
We went four times in two days (sun and mon), and got to do Pooh, Donald, Daisy, and Mickey. I was BUMMED we didn't get to do Stitch, you lucky duck!

What I loved was when they ask everyone to show the animator what we did, and you can look around at everyone's different interpretations of the instructions. It was so fun,a nd even the littlest kids had success at it!

Another Dimension
10-04-2005, 04:04 PM
I'll check it out soon. It sounds fun.

But it sounds like Animation Academy is missing the best part of what Drawn to Animation had to offer, the Making of...-format movie trailers for upcoming Disney Features.

They should still show previews for upcoming Animated Features. Hopefully in time DCA will have some place that does that again as part of an animation show.

Introducing, advertising and hyping the upcoming Disney films to the Disney Guest target audience is always a good thing.

Whittibo
10-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Wow, I didn't know it just opened. We were there yesterday and got to draw, "The Big Cheese".. and my middle daughter drew a GREAT Mickey. I am going to submit her drawings to Disney.. ;) She was so good, I bought a drawing book for her as we were leaving that area.

I wish it was longer, it seemed pretty "rushed".. but it was fun. It was a nice sit down break for us.

Clotho
10-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Yes I was inspired and bought a book, too! I am already half-way through it (stitch and lilo), and am LOVINg the results! I CAN DRAW (with a little instruction, anyway). really inspiring!

dws_60
10-05-2005, 05:07 PM
hi
maybe we missed them everytime at dlp but im sure my dd would love to use the brother bear and her cousin some stitch would be great gift...
how much are the books and what titles have they available?
Thanks
David

Clotho
10-09-2005, 09:01 PM
I believe we paid $12 for my kit. Possibly $15. It included a book, a sketch pad, and a collection of about 7 marking pens in various basic colors and a pencil. Most of the books didn't come in kits, and would surely cost less. They had Mickey and Friends, princesses, Lilo and Stitch, and many others. Find more info here:
http://disney.go.com/magicartist/play/index.html

Clotho
10-09-2005, 11:10 PM
I believe we paid $12 for my kit. Possibly $15. It included a book, a sketch pad, and a collection of about 7 marking pens in various basic colors and a pencil. Most of the books didn't come in kits, and would surely cost less. They had Mickey and Friends, princesses, Lilo and Stitch, and many others. Find more info here:
http://disney.go.com/magicartist/play/index.html

OOPS! Sent wrong link. Try this:
http://www.walterfoster.com/kidkits.html

The book has been so enjoyable, and made me feel so successful, I am going to try some of the adult books.
If I get a chance, i will post linnks to pics of the drawings hubby adn I did in the show.