PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Opinions about Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

Leli
09-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Howdy there. I'm writing an essay about Disneyland for my Eng IA class and I was wondering if any of you were interested in answering a few questions for me about the park. They're opinion questions, so there are no right or wrong answers. It would be much appreciated :D

Question #1: What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Disneyland?

Question #2: What do you think is something that most people miss, but is still interesting/important?

Question #3: What kind of feelings arise when you come to the park?

Question #4: What is your favorite thing about the park?

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (ie.. the vanilla smell)

Question #6: What do you think is the most memorable aspect of Disneyland?

Question #7: Why do you think so many people visit Disneyland?

Question #8: How unique is Disneyland to you?

Thanks again!

I Heart Disneyland!
09-30-2005, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=Leli]

Question #1: What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Disneyland?
Happiness and memories

Question #2: What do you think is something that most people miss, but is still interesting/important?
Mr. Lincoln

I feel like the outside world doesn't exist, and that all of my reality is gone for the time that I am there. I don't worry about work or money or problems.

The rides!

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (ie.. the vanilla smell)
If it's subliminal....how do I know it's there?? ;)

The fact that I CAN escape reality there. And, I want to return over and over. It draws me back.

Because of what I already mentioned, (the escape from reality) as well as possibly childhood memories of going and now bringing your children. For me, this is true.

It's very unique, because it was the first of it's kind.

Sailor Butterfly
10-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Question #1: What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Disneyland? The castle and the park music- especially Walking Right Down the Middle of Main St and the Baroque Hoedown.

Question #2: What do you think is something that most people miss, but is still interesting/important? Mr. Lincoln and the Main St. Cinema.

Question #3: What kind of feelings arise when you come to the park? Anticipation, joy, and comfort.

Question #4: What is your favorite thing about the park? The fact that there is plenty of things to do and see for us chickens.

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (ie.. the vanilla smell) The background music that plays in each land and the telegraph clicking away at the NOS train station (it happened once on my last trip, very weird).

Question #6: What do you think is the most memorable aspect of Disneyland? Spending time with loved ones and being treated so wonderfully by the cast members.

Question #7: Why do you think so many people visit Disneyland? Disneyland allows you to be a kid, to laugh and play, there's entertainment everywhere you look, and something for everyone.

Question #8: How unique is Disneyland to you? Disneyland is unique to me in the way that such care and effort went into making it. It's the only Disney park that Walt was actively a part of and spent much of his time in. The detail work is amazing, so many little things that one may not notice and yet, they contribute to the whole of the magic. Swans aren't mandatory, but they give the castle moat an even greater since of romance. It's the only place I've ever gone where I can relax and just have fun- not just sit around waiting for everyone else to get off another ride I can't do. Having many ride choices that don't make my palms sweat or my stomach lurch, makes the park so very unique to me.

truesally
10-01-2005, 06:47 AM
Question #1: What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Disneyland? Happiest Place on Earth!

Question #2: What do you think is something that most people miss, but is still interesting/important? Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - my 5yo & 3yo loved it, and I think more kids would be intrigued if they took the time to listen

Question #3: What kind of feelings arise when you come to the park? Giddy excitement & joy

Question #4: What is your favorite thing about the park? The sense of being in a completely different world - nothing matters but the enjoyment of everything around

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (ie.. the vanilla smell) The background music throughout the park

Question #6: What do you think is the most memorable aspect of Disneyland? The attention to detail - being convinced you really are in different "lands"

Question #7: Why do you think so many people visit Disneyland? Escape from the rough real world; find joy & feel carefree

Question #8: How unique is Disneyland to you? So unique I can't imagine another whole-family vacation I want to take

It looks like, so far, we have a lot of the same thoughts & feelings about Disneyland! But I guess that's to be expected; it is a precisely engineered experience, even though it makes everyone feel uniquely special...
Hope your paper turns out well ~ it's always a joy for teachers to see students taking their work seriously, and using a variety of resources :)

TikiBird27
10-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Having a good time with my family and friends, and relaxing in my favorite spots in the park.

The attractions that aren't rides. After a long day of walking everywhere, sitting and watching the Enchanted Tiki Room's 20-minute show is especially appealing. :) I miss the Country Bears. Plus, both of those attractions were unique to Disneyland when they were created, I believe--not relating to Disney movies, but just created for the park (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Excitement but not nervousness--I don't have to worry about being afraid of the rides (only talking about Disneyland here, not California Adventure--Tower of Terror definitely makes me nervous!). And relaxation, since I don't have to worry about anything but having fun!

The theming of the lands, going on my favorite attractions, and getting to see people enjoying time together.

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (i.e., the vanilla smell)
It's not really subliminal, but I'd say subtle elements that add personality and theming to the atmosphere--for example, the Mint Julep Bar in NOS. I don't like the homogenization of the shops--I liked seeing all the Western wear in Frontierland stores, and now it's a lot of the same stuff you can find in the Emporium or in World of Disney. :(

How most people are there to simply have a good time--which is kind of a rare experience.

To get away from their normal routines, and to spend time together in a clean, safe place with entertaining things to see and do. Or to practice for MouseAdventure. ;)

It's unique in that it's an immersive environment made up of lots of little details. It also has an interesting blend of quirky attractions (like the Tiki Room) mixed with popular Disney characters and movies.

Good luck with the paper. :D

TikiBird27
10-01-2005, 09:56 AM
It seems like this thread http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=48379 also has ideas about what makes Disneyland unique to people.

DianeM
10-01-2005, 10:18 AM

Fun

Taking time to do non-ride stuff at disneyland. There are a lot of really interesting small shows and exhibits that most people miss because they're waaiting in line to ride space mountain for the third time.

Happiness, anticipation, serenity

The "magic". The little things that you don't expect. Like the rolling marble fountain that you can push around (I liked the old version where you got wet better, but it's still good). Or the self-moving garbage can that rolls around and interacts with people. Or getting beads at New Orleans Square. Or watching Mickey climb the Matterhorn. Disney spends a lot on little details that most places won't bother with.

Since you mentioned smell - the smell in Pirates of the Carribean. It sets the tone, making me feel like I'm really in a bayou/cave.

The electronic rides - Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Tiki Room. The animation is unlike anything else in the world.

It's an escape from everyday reality. A place to go to have fun, be happy. Happy moments come in life, but they are hard to plan for. Disneyland allows us to go someplace where we can buy happiness. Not cheaply, but reliably.

There is no place like Disneyland in the world. I've visited Disneyworld, and like it, but it isn't the same as Disneyland. I would say, totally unique.

DisneyBob
10-01-2005, 03:08 PM

Magic, happiness, memories with family and friends, fantasy

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (now 50th exhibit)

Nostalgia, warmth, happiness

Attention to detail... cleanliness... classic attractions

The smell inside the Splash Mountain show building

When Cast Members create "Magical Moments" during the day... otherwise, the new 50th anniversary fireworks show.

Disneyland is an American icon... They visit time and time again because of the high quality of Guest Service... Disneyland is an escape from reality.

Very unique! Everytime I visit, there's something new and different.

*** Hope that helps! Thanks!! ***

disneyhound
10-01-2005, 04:03 PM

My daughters smile!

DL is the vision of one remarkable man.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

Atmosphere

A young child throwing a hissy fit at the happiest place on earth.

The visual detail.

Unique, one of a kind, fresh and clean feel to the experience

See question 7

Thanks again!

No problem!

Susan L
10-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Disneyland is a big part of my past. My parents were Disney fanatics, I was raised on Disney. The Wonderful of Disney on Sunday nights was a ritual at my house. We would go to see all the Disney movies mostly at drive-ins. I also spent a good part of my childhood at Disneyland.

Now a days I live in No CA so I only get to go to Disneyland once every 18 months or so. We usually go for about a week and stay on property. Its like escaping to another world where you don't have to worry about anything but having fun. There are no big decisions to make, no alarm clocks, it is a stress very enviornment for me.

texas minnie
10-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I asked my son (age 5), and this is what he said...
1. Happiest place on Earth, and Mickey Mouse
2. Tiki Room and Dole Whip
3. Happy and excited and I always can't wait!
4. Splash Mountain, churros
5. The cool stuff to look at while you wait in line
6. Splash Mountain
7. Becasue it's so fun ("when are we going back, Mom?")
8. "It's the best place and the most funnest place ever for the whole family!"

erica84
10-01-2005, 08:49 PM

Happiness and great memories.

I've always loved "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln". I think it gets overlooked because there is so many other things to do and may seem boring - but it is actually pretty interesting, especially with the effects.

As soon as I hear the music as I am entering the park a sense of joy and excitement rushes over me.

I love to see all the families that go there. The great thing about Disneyland is that it can be enjoyed by kids and adults. It doesn't matter how young or old you are - there is something for everyone!

The smell of the cones being made at The Gibson Girl ice cream parlor always gets me!

Everyone has their favorite ride - mine being POTC, I can see it in my mind and there is always that same familiar smell as you enter the building!

Even though there is always some new attraction, restaurant, etc. there is always that same feeling that you get from being at Disneyland. Whenever you are there, you seem to forget your problems and that is why so many people go there, in my opinion - for that much needed escape.

It's the only theme park that I have been to that has a real sense of magic and fantasy - and it's not cheesy or over the top. It can be enjoyed by the adults as well as the kids.

Leli
10-01-2005, 09:49 PM
These are great! Lots of excellent quotes I can use :D Also, subtle was the word I was looking for, but I just couldn't think of it for question #5.

Barbossa
10-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Question #1: What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Disneyland? "When is our next trip to DLR!"

Question #2: What do you think is something that most people miss, but is still interesting/important? The hidden and/or rarely used restrooms (and I'm not going to list which ones I'm talking about! ;) ).

Question #3: What kind of feelings arise when you come to the park? The urge to run to our favorite ride before the line gets too long.

Question #4: What is your favorite thing about the park? The lush sensory experience of Disneyland. The buildings, rides, landscaping, sounds etc. are incredibly dense and detailed.

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (ie.. the vanilla smell) The business signs painted on the windows of Main Street.

Question #6: What do you think is the most memorable aspect of Disneyland? That it's a complete experience. It's not just rides like, for example, Magic Mountain. It's the architecture, shops, displays, landscaping, music, parades, etc. that set it apart from non-Disney parks.

Question #7: Why do you think so many people visit Disneyland? See #6.

Question #8: How unique is Disneyland to you? Totally unique. Besides other Disney theme parks (i.e. WDW, DL Tokyo/France etc), there's nothing else like it.

disneyjunkie
10-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Howdy there. I'm writing an essay about Disneyland for my Eng IA class and I was wondering if any of you were interested in answering a few questions for me about the park. They're opinion questions, so there are no right or wrong answers. It would be much appreciated :D

Thanks again!
1. The mere mention of Disneyland and I am packed and ready to go!
2. Miss and interesting and important:The People Mover , The Skyway , The Carousel of Progress.
3.My family says I gain the energy of a 10 year old upon entrance.
4.That I gain the energy of a 10 year old its a breath of life to me I am three again, I am 10 again, I am 18 again, Its ageless.
5.The sound of the horses hoofs clip clopping down Main Street
6.Its the one big constant in my life: pre husband, pre children, its a place embeded in me.
7. Honestly marketing , 50 years of wanting to meet the mouse, 50 years of wanting to go to the original.
8. Its irreplaceable there is no other, there are other Disney theme Parks but the the memories at Disneyland for me cannot be duplicated.

SCUBAbe
10-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Question #1: What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Disneyland? crowds and long lines

Question #2: What do you think is something that most people miss, but is still interesting/important? the disney gallery

Question #3: What kind of feelings arise when you come to the park? when I first get there happiness and relaxsation...after a few hour irratation and stress...LOL...then we go home.

Question #4: What is your favorite thing about the park? it's relativly clean and does not attract scary people most of the time. (ie magic mountain)

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (ie.. the vanilla smell) the music

Question #6: What do you think is the most memorable aspect of Disneyland? the theming...it's like being on a movie set, but more finished looking..:)

Question #7: Why do you think so many people visit Disneyland? they have small children and it's a "safe" environment.

Question #8: How unique is Disneyland to you? it's a theme park. Unique in it being one of the first ones, but it's still a theme/amusement park.

Vegitabeta
10-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Question #1: What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Disneyland? The Happiest place on Earth!

Question #2: What do you think is something that most people miss, but is still interesting/important? Walt Disney of course!

Question #3: What kind of feelings arise when you come to the park? The 'I'm back home' kind of feeling, and a feeling of sheer happiness.

Question #4: What is your favorite thing about the park? How clean it is, the smells, sights, sounds, shows, and of course, the attractions.

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (ie.. the vanilla smell) I have to think about this one, but it's probably the smell on Main Street! You don't think about it much, it's just always there!

Question #6: What do you think is the most memorable aspect of Disneyland? There are so many things, but probably the fireworks and parades, because nobody else on earth does it like Disney does :)

Question #7: Why do you think so many people visit Disneyland? Because it is advertised a lot? Lol, well because people know how amazing and unique it is, and that gets passed on by word of mouth.

Question #8: How unique is Disneyland to you? Very unique, because even though there are 5 Disney parks now, each one is different in it's own cool way. Also, to me it's so unique because there is nothing like Disney in England...well, nothing as magical!

donaldquackers
05-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I grew up in LA and my parents would have us miss school to go to Disneyland for a day. Because of that each time mom would make us see moments with Mr Lincoln. She said that was our education for the day. As an adult I always forget to stop there and I miss it.
I went to Disney last summer and have been aching to go back ever since. I talked my sister into going in June and then 2 weeks ago she said we had to put it off until the fall. She probably won't be able to then either. I live in Utah now and we have a place called Lagoon. I don't really like it as it is nothing like Disneyland. I have been wishing I could have an AP to Disney and go as much as I like. I have been thinking about getting an AP to Lagoon instead this year so I could see what it is like to go alot. It is over an hour from my house. I've mulled it over for a few weeks and finally decided thatit won't help with my Disney fix as it is just not the same. I think I will go back to finding a way to get to the real thing.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-21-2006, 10:07 PM
I'd be happy to help (answers in bold):

Magic. Even as an adult I feel so much magic when I hear about Disneyland. I don't mean magic as in magic tricks, but magic as in how a place can turn your life in to a happy time no matter what you are dealing with. It does that for me.

I think so many people focus on the attractions, be it a show or a ride, and miss out on the little things. The ducks in the ponds, the wishing well near the castle, all the little touches that make the place so unique. For me, I could be there an entire day and NEVER go on a ride or see a show and still have a wonderful time.

I feel like a kid again. I feel so happy, weight taken off my shoulders for whatever I had been stressing about. Fun!

Disneyland is my happy place. It has this huge park fun, with a small park feel. I love the themes of each area, the best. Main Street is probably my favorite place. It is more than a street lined with shops, but it is an entrance to a magical world.

Music on Main Street, definetly. It gets to me, almost makes me want to dance. Really sets the tone for the day to hear that upbeat music. But it is quiet enough that it isn't overbearing.

Again the way everything is themed. It isn't like going to a fair or carnival where your only focus is food and rides, but it is just being there, the themes make you feel different about each area of the park.

Word of mouth. I have met people who have never been and I just can't believe it. When you start talking to them about it, they just get envious and want to try it. Then I think they go back because no matter how many times you have been, you can never see it all.

There is nothing like Disneyland. Growing up going there 2-3 times a year, it was always such a special place to me. Now that I have an annual pass, I still go about 2-3 times a year, but I don't think I could ever be tired of it. It isn't something that you can experience anywhere else, and I think that is what makes it unique, it is one of a kind.

Opus1guy
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Seven month old thread, but since someone bumped it up and the essay is probably long done by now...what the heck! Here goes:

That theme park thing down in Anaheim

Walter Cronkite on the evening news. I think most people miss him and he's still interesting.

How am I ever going to afford all this!!??

That it's round. It is round, isn't it?

The atmosphere. The kind we breath.

I can't remember.

Because few can afford to own the place.

Which one?

;)

iwannabeanimagineer
05-22-2006, 10:37 AM
The castle. It's the perfect icon to express the organization of the park and the immersion in fantasy it offers.

Architectural details, including signage. The Imagineering of the park is its most brilliant aspect and the detail and signage is the hardest component of the Imagineering to perceive if you don't conscientiously look for it.

Mostly joy. The joy of being with family members; the joy associated with happy memories; the joy of leisure time and escape from the everyday world.

There are so many things that make Disneyland stand out, it's difficult to decide on my favorite. I guess I would have to say, it's story-telling. It's full of wonderful stories of adventure and fun and sometimes even good life lessons. And a second runner-up would be music. Music is everywhere and connects so strongly to memory.

Music and theme sounds. Without the bells and whistles of the ships and the broadcast music, the Rivers of America would seem pretty dull.

The attractions, specifically the E-ticket attractions. I think they're the experiences that really stay with us from the park.

The primary reason is that it offers a hassle-free way for all members of a family to share a common leisure activity. Very few leisure activities offer the reliability and the high excitement level for family members of all ages.

Since I feel like I grew up in the shadow of the Matterhorn (lived the first 10 years of my life in the South Bay area of L.A., and my 20's in the valleys of Ventura, L.A. and San Diego counties, I feel like Disneyland shaped my expectations for the rest of my life and other places I've been. And the more I experience, Disneyland holds a more and more unique and special place in my cosmology. It seems like a tiny little oasis of family leisure in a somewhat more chaotic and difficult world.

wabby1
05-22-2006, 11:24 AM

Its the happiest place on earth. And I mean that in every sense of the phrase. Its hard to wipe the smile off my face when I'm there.

I think people overall miss Walt himself. His dream and legacy are vital to the continuing success of D/L.

Its like Dorothy walking into Oz...some magical, different place....but instant joy and excitement.

The history of it. And the fact that its separated from the "world" so to speak. You don't really have much of a sense of what's going on outside the hedges or berms for example. Its an escape.

One thing I've noticed....and I could be wrong...but every time I go on the Matterhorn, it feels "cold" to me. I can't imagine that being gone.

We always talk about the attractions, the food, the fireworks....but the attractions come to mind as most memorable. They transform you to another place....Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain have that effect on me more particularly. The Fantasyland attractions take me to my childhood, and the classic Disney films....I mean, does it get any better than Peter Pan? I love 'em. And I'm 47 now.

Disneyland caters to all kinds of people. "Fun for all ages." You don't have to be a kid to enjoy them. For example, one of my favorite things to do at the park is ride the Disneyland Railroad....and go on it for a couple or 3 laps....its relaxing. Also, Pirates relaxes me too....such detail....total fun.

Its one of a kind. Its a THEME park...not an AMUSEMENT park. If you're into Disney, then this is the place. I had a boss once that told me that she thought Disneyland was lame. I couldn't believe it! LAME? It is unique. For me, its one of the only places I know that makes me feel TOTALLY like a kid.

dlandnut
05-22-2006, 12:01 PM

A great place to go to forget about the world. I get all "twitterpated" when I think about going.

I really miss the PeopleMover. It was a "no brainer" attraction, yet very relaxing and a way to get off your feet and sort of chill out. It was important to people who wanted to do just that...relax for a few moments. Also greatly miss the Tahitian Terrace, CircleVision, and the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship (because I loved the clam chowder).

Excitement, giddiness, fun, anticipation.

I enjoy the get away feeling that it gives me, albeit if only for a few days. I enjoy the closeness that it brings to my family. I enjoy the fact that I usually end up "pigging out" while I'm there, and I like to experience different food fantasies.

I would miss the sounds if they were gone...the sound of the train throughout the park as it pulls into the stations (Your Attention Please), the sound of the Mark Twain Steamboat as it comes around the bend, the pirate sounds from Pirates of the Carribean, the sounds of New Orleans as you eat at the Blue Bayou, the screams as you fly down the chute at Splash Mountain.

The fact that it stays with me. I'm 50, and yes I celebrated my 50th last year at good old Disneyland. I am one month older than Disneyland. It's always with me. Even when I'm not there (which usually ends up being about once every 18 months to 2 years), I still get a thrill by discussing it, by thinking about it, reading about it, visiting MousePlanet.com and other Disney sites. I get a thrill out of sharing my passion with others who are in the same boat.

As Wabby1 said, it is "Fun for all ages." If you feel you're too old to visit Disneyland, then you just don't get it. I will continue to go as long as I'm alive and kicking, and have an extra "dime" in my pocket to make the trip, lol.

Totally unique. One of a kind. It's not a place for "carnies", but rather a high class, top notch place to visit. Clean, safe, fun, and a way to rejuvenate me. I love it when a trip is planned and I have months to prepare and "get ready". We get together and discuss everything we can think of, watch movies, etc., that get us to feel the magic and uniqueness.

May/June 2007: Watch out, because here we come!!! :)

hg0079
05-22-2006, 12:34 PM
I answered in the quote form

Question #1: What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Disneyland? Childhood memories and visually of Mainstreet

Question #2: What do you think is something that most people miss, Tom Swayer Island
Question #3: What kind of feelings arise when you come to the park? Excitement anxiousness

Question #4: What is your favorite thing about the park? When a breeze blows into New Orleans square

Question #5: What is something very subliminal, but would be weird if missing? (ie.. the vanilla smell) Frozen Bananas

Question #6: What do you think is the most memorable aspect of Disneyland? Long lines....and remembering standing in them

Question #7: Why do you think so many people visit Disneyland? Nostalgia and to escape the real world for a day (or week)

Question #8: How unique is Disneyland to you? very, it has a special place in my heart

Thanks again!

potzbie
05-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I grew up in LA and my parents would have us miss school to go to Disneyland for a day. Because of that each time mom would make us see moments with Mr Lincoln. She said that was our education for the day. As an adult I always forget to stop there and I miss it.

I was wondering why "donaldquakers" would revive a seven-month-old thread, and not reply to the questions posed.
:confused: