PDA

View Full Version : Interesting, different, obscure things to do at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

Aristocat
09-30-2005, 01:14 PM
My hubby and I will be spending a weekend in November at Disneyland for my birthday. We are lucky enough to be staying on the concierge level of the GC, so I’ve been in contact with vacation planning for help with some preferred seating. But I’m interested in doing out-of-the-ordinary things, too. We are annual passholders and visit the parks often, so it would be nice to do something different and completely new for a change. Does anyone have ideas or opinions on activities we should plan for? I’m thinking of taking a guided tour or the early morning walk through DCA…other than that, I not sure what to do. Any help would be welcomed.
Thanks! :D

SanDiegoDayTripper
09-30-2005, 01:18 PM
How long are you there?

Last year in November, I drove up from San Diego (hence my member name!) to the park just for a day of Christmas shopping. Didn't hit an attraction or show, literally shopped all afternoon, going in every single shop I usually just cruise by. And I mean EVERY shop. It was an amazing day.

Maybe if you have the time to spare, since you have an AP, just spend the day shopping, and not just Main Street and DTD.

Duh, just re-read, see you are there for a weekend... maybe if done all your favorite rides, try the shopping thing?

LLevy
09-30-2005, 01:28 PM
don't know how the entertainment is during the winter but

stop and watch the dapper dans
watch the shows *OUTSIDE* the golden horseshoe
ride in the wheelhouse of the riverboat
find "push" and watch him interact with people
watch the marching band
watch the bands in new orleans sq- and do some dancing
go to the prioncess story telling
go see alladin and jasmine story telling at alladins oasis
see if you can catch the group that does the druming on the trash cans

L

Aristocat
09-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Something I'll make sure to see is the flag ceremony. I've seen it before, but not DH. I think he'll enjoy it.

Better write that down before I forget...

sdfilmcritic
09-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Hang out on the wooden bridge to the side of BTMRR that leads back toward Fantasyland. It's a nice area to hang around at, especially at night time with the owl and cricket sounds playing. It might be romantic for the two of you. ;)

Disneynerd
09-30-2005, 03:54 PM
My hubby and I will be spending a weekend in November at Disneyland for my birthday. We are lucky enough to be staying on the concierge level of the GC, so I’ve been in contact with vacation planning for help with some preferred seating. But I’m interested in doing out-of-the-ordinary things, too. We are annual passholders and visit the parks often, so it would be nice to do something different and completely new for a change. Does anyone have ideas or opinions on activities we should plan for? I’m thinking of taking a guided tour or the early morning walk through DCA…other than that, I not sure what to do. Any help would be welcomed.
Thanks! :DThis is a great thread, thank you for staring it! The only thing I can think of is to visit all the very Disney restaurants and have three leisurly (sp) meals a day. Don't forget to enjoy a corndog too.

olegc
09-30-2005, 04:15 PM
find each interactive "game" in the park... pirate's arcade, main street, shrunken head ned and aladdin's other lamp (adventureland).

try to locate all of the background audio tracks in disneyland...
New Orleans square (there are two places), critter country, main street dentist, 1890's party line on the phones, toontown gimmicks

watch little kid's faces during the parade's...

relive your childhood and visit each and every character greeting...

come back at closing, hang out and drink a coffee in NOS, and then stoll slowly out of the park - catching the emptiness and peaceful quiet that sometimes is part of mainstreet..

hlbtimes2
09-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Watch Mickey climb the Matterhorn.

Take in all the shows and parades- not just the rides.

See if you can get picked for the Sword and the Stone ceremony. Its great fun even if you dont get to pull the sword out. Merlin is great!

Ask to conduct the Disneyland band or at least make a requst for a song.

Clotho
10-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Even if you don't play VMK, the VMK booth has some "quests" which are basically trivia hunts around different areas of the park. We just did three of the four today, and had a lot of fun figuring them out.

mariogarza
10-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Go seeking and checking all of the hidden 50th logos...would be fun

Stupid_American
10-01-2005, 05:11 PM
When the park gets a little crowded, we sometimes wander over to the grounds of the Disneyland Hotel.
The little "grotto" area is relaxing.

Disneyland Hotel Area (http://home.pacbell.net/dagravy/disneyslide/index.htm)

kinglouie1967
10-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Walk backwards all day.

dws_60
10-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Even if you don't play VMK, the VMK booth has some "quests" which are basically trivia hunts around different areas of the park. We just did three of the four today, and had a lot of fun figuring them out.
do u have any other details about this? it sounds very cool and would be great for our next trip in december... they actually have a treasure hunt at dlp on wednesday and each time you find a clue you get a sticker to collect in the sticker album you're given after all you got all the clues...
thanks
David

BQ2
10-01-2005, 09:00 PM
do u have any other details about this? it sounds very cool and would be great for our next trip in december...
thanks
David

There is a different "quest" for each land. Adventureland, Frontierland and Fantasyland. You run around and answer about 6 multiple-choice questions. It found it to be very fun. Not too hard either. Pick up the quests at the VMK booth in front of the innovations building. have fun :D

AlbertaMinnie
10-02-2005, 05:37 AM
do u have any other details about this? it sounds very cool and would be great for our next trip in december... they actually have a treasure hunt at dlp on wednesday and each time you find a clue you get a sticker to collect in the sticker album you're given after all you got all the clues...
thanks
David

Do you have kids? Or even for yourself.....log onto VMK and create a character! It's like SIMS, only Disney style and its very safe for kids to use, as it won't allow them to say their names, ages, or even where they live! Anyways, once familiar with VMK at home, when you get to the VMK booth at DL, ask them if they still do the tour. They will give you 4 quests to perform. Once you correctly complete them (sometimes they'll give you a hand) you will get a whole bunch of cards that will entitle your VMK character to get a whole bunch of items for the game and then the tour. Meli was our tour guide and she was sooo full of great Disney information, and not just about VMK. Although the tour is geared towards VMK, my whole family found it a lot of fun. The tour will take you on the rides that are also in VMK. At the end of our tour, we were taken into HM and given a fifth quest to complete. It was so much fun! Also, if you want to create your VMK character when you are in DL, it will say that it was born in DL and will have the ears!

Stupid_American
10-02-2005, 06:00 AM
That would be www.vmk.com.

There are 3 quests that you can pick up at the park.
The 4th, the Tomorrowland quest, needs to be dowmloaded from the website.
Check the game online, and if it's intersting to you, go for the quests and tour (the tours are still happening).
If you don't find any interest in the game, the quests/tour might not be your cup of tea.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Hang out on the wooden bridge to the side of BTMRR that leads back toward Fantasyland. It's a nice area to hang around at, especially at night time with the owl and cricket sounds playing. It might be romantic for the two of you. ;)

SD, you romantic devil! ;) I think I may take this idea for me and my honey for next week! :)

I will repeat some of what others have already said. I love to watch the Dapper Dans, and the comedic gang outside of the Golden Horseshoe. Also, to just sit and people watch is a favorite one of mine. I'd look through every nook at DL too. There's so many cool places to wander into (NOS is the best) and sit with a cool drink, or take photographs.

dws_60
10-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Do you have kids? Or even for yourself.....log onto VMK and create a character! It's like SIMS, only Disney style and its very safe for kids to use, as it won't allow them to say their names, ages, or even where they live! Anyways, once familiar with VMK at home, when you get to the VMK booth at DL, ask them if they still do the tour. They will give you 4 quests to perform. Once you correctly complete them (sometimes they'll give you a hand) you will get a whole bunch of cards that will entitle your VMK character to get a whole bunch of items for the game and then the tour. Meli was our tour guide and she was sooo full of great Disney information, and not just about VMK. Although the tour is geared towards VMK, my whole family found it a lot of fun. The tour will take you on the rides that are also in VMK. At the end of our tour, we were taken into HM and given a fifth quest to complete. It was so much fun! Also, if you want to create your VMK character when you are in DL, it will say that it was born in DL and will have the ears!
hi,
yes i ve a daughter and we ll go with my brother and sis in law with their son... i tried all the way to connect but somehow the shockwave download has a trouble with my pc and wont do it but repeat the download process...
we re on dial up , is it ok?
do u have a link where to get the shockwave downloaded normally?
thanks
David

AlbertaMinnie
10-03-2005, 01:40 AM
It takes a while, but we only have dial-up as well. Hmmm, I'm not the best when it comes to computers....is there another place where shockwave can be downloaded and then you can come back to VMK and try again?

h_lehmann
10-03-2005, 07:30 AM
- Hang out at Coke Corner and listen to one of the ragtime piano players. There are lots of regulars that come here to sit and listen on weekend evenings.

- Ask the clerk in the Magic Shop to do a couple of tricks.

- Catch the evening flag retreat ceremony. Usually about 1/2 hour before sunset, check the daily schedule.

- Drop a quarter into the giant player-piano-thingy in the back of the Candy Shop.

10-03-2005, 07:46 AM
- Hang out at Coke Corner and listen to one of the ragtime piano players. There are lots of regulars that come here to sit and listen on weekend evenings.

- Ask the clerk in the Magic Shop to do a couple of tricks.

- Catch the evening flag retreat ceremony. Usually about 1/2 hour before sunset, check the daily schedule.

- Drop a quarter into the giant player-piano-thingy in the back of the Candy Shop.

I absolutely adore these ideas, h_lehmann!

Aristocat
10-03-2005, 08:04 AM
You know, I've seen the VMK booth, but never stopped to investigate. I'm going to have to study the website and have some fun with that.

Olegc - you mentioned the interactive games...It's a good idea, but I wanted to make sure I know where everything is. Aladdin's lamp is in Adventureland Bazaar and the pirate's arcade is in Pieces of 8, right? Where is Shrunken Head Ned? I have to make sure I bring lots of quarters...then we can hang out at the Shooting Exposition, too.

And the Sword and the Stone ceremony is another good suggestion. It's been years and years since I've seen that!

I'm going to make it a point to play all the games on the DCA boardwalk, too. One can never have too many Nemo-like stuffed fish. :p

And I really like the idea of taking lots of photos. I always wind up taking fewer pix than I should.

Something that DH and I like to do when the park gets too crowded is go to the Hearthstone Lounge in DCA. It's so great to get comfy in one of the leather chairs and sip a cocktail. Now that's relaxing!

smd4
10-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Ask the conductor at Main Street Station if you can get a cab ride on engine 1 or 2.

Failing that, ask if you can ride in the caboose (the train with the red striped awnings and side plates is the train with the caboose).

DaddyB
10-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Walk the walls.

Follow the walls around the whole park. Start on either the right or the left, and just keep following the walls and fences all around the park until you get back to the beginning! It's your choice if you want to actually go in the shops on Main Street or not. You'll see some stuff and some walkways that you never knew were there.

Captain Josh
10-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Dine right at the water at the Blue Bayou and chuck bread rolls at passing boats.