PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name... Fantasmic!

itig
09-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Alright, this has been bugging me for a long time, so I'm just going to ask. Does anyone know how they came up with the name Fantasmic?

Andrew
09-29-2005, 02:38 PM
While I'm not sure of the whole story, I do know that the show was originally going to be called "Imagination!". You can hear references to this in the opening song. At some point it was decided--possibly by Barnette Ricci, the Show Director who essentially created the entire show--that a more "active" name was needed, and that's where we got "Fantasmic!". I'm sure there's more to the story than that, of course.

emmah
09-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Alright, this has been bugging me for a long time, so I'm just going to ask. Does anyone know how they came up with the name Fantasmic?

I always assumed it was a play on Fantasia - was I wrong?

coronado_g
09-29-2005, 07:12 PM
I always assumed it was a play on Fantasia - was I wrong?
That's what I thought also - a combo of Fastasia and Mickey.

DISNEYfied
09-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I think its like where INVENTION MEETS INNOVATION TO MAKE... INNOVENTIONS! But in this case.. Fantasia + Fantastic = FANTASMIC. After all they do say VISIONS FANTASTIC many times.

Opus1guy
09-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I always thought it was a spelling error.

;)

mkcbunny
09-29-2005, 08:48 PM
LOL. The first time my friend and I saw it, we somehow could not remember the name. So we kept calling it "Razzamatazz" as a joke. But that stuck. So now, even though we know what it is, we often call it Razzamatazz just to make each other laugh.

Chiidesu
09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Seriously where did the "m" come from :rolleyes:

Heh, go to urbandictionary.com and search for it. Look at the first and last definitions :rolleyes: Might not be safe for minors! (If you don't want the younguns learning the word) :rolleyes:

09-30-2005, 04:34 AM
I always thought it was Fantastic + Orgasmic.

Yes, I'm serious.

itig
09-30-2005, 06:49 AM

Yes, I'm serious.

This is exactly what I thought and it's why I started this thread. I didn't want to post what I thought as I was really hoping it was something else. I guess Fantasy + Mickey is a plausible answer, but the urban dictionary info leans more to the seedier conclusion. Either way, I don't think it was a wise choice.

09-30-2005, 07:12 AM
the urban dictionary info leans more to the seedier conclusion.

I don't know about seedy. But it's suggestive, anyway.

tod
09-30-2005, 09:29 AM

Yes, I'm serious.

This is because you have never seen a cheapo 1979 horror film called Phantasm (http://imdb.com/title/tt0079714/), which, once seen, can never be forgotten. No matter how hard you try.

--t

TowerofTerror
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
The name was something they come up with is something they wanted to stand out but also say it`s about bad nightmare and that mickey come to the rescue and fight a powerful dragon

Andrew
09-30-2005, 09:35 AM
This is because you have never seen a cheapo 1979 horror film called Phantasm (http://imdb.com/title/tt0079714/), which, once seen, can never be forgotten. No matter how hard you try.
Is that the one with the shiny globe that drills into peoples' heads?

I never got to see that. Too young at the time.

itig
09-30-2005, 10:57 AM

--t

I saw that movie in the theatre and it freaked me out -- my little brain was too young for such stuff...and probably still is :)

Vegitabeta
09-30-2005, 11:57 AM
I figured that it was like Fantastic Mickey, therefore shortened to get Fantasmic!

Opus1guy
09-30-2005, 12:09 PM
I thought it had something to do with Fanta cola from the Coca-Cola Company. I mean...Fantasmic is on an island and there's Fantana Island and all:

www.fanta.com

Fanta, Fanta,
Don't ya want a...
Fanta, Fanta,
Don't ya want a...

;)

ghoofie
09-30-2005, 01:17 PM
You mean it's called "FANTASMIC". Gee lots of people always ask
me about the Fantasia Show or the Fantastic Show. :fez:

charpaul
09-30-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't know where they came up with the name (it is used in the show..but not sure if it was originally in the script)- but I have always heard that Disney could not trademark/copyright the name "Imagination" so they had to come up with something else....

I also understand that Fantasmic was not their first choice for a new name...

potzbie
09-30-2005, 07:46 PM
I also understand that Fantasmic was not their first choice for a new name...

That reminds me . . .

In 1964, when The Beatles came to America, a reporter asked George Harrison, "What do you call that hair style?"

"Arthur, " he deadpanned.