PDA

View Full Version : Off site resturants

chinamama
09-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Ok, last time we went 2 years ago there was a thread on the best places to eat off site, well its now 2 years later and I am asking the question again.....

Where is your favorite off site resturant? say within 20 miles. Last time we discovered Katella Deli :p (Thanks I think DarkBeer!!! ) We ate there 2 or 3 times!

Laurie

My2kidsrule
09-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Crab Cooker in Newport Beach. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Stupid_American
09-29-2005, 02:04 PM
If you like Thai, one of the best restaurants, this side of the Chao Phraya, is just 2 miles away from the park.
Thai Nakorn is at 12532 Garden Grove Bl.

To get there, you head south on either Harbor, or Disneyland Drive/West Street, to Garden Grove Blvd.
Then turn east (left).
A short ways east of Harbor, on the right, will be Thai Nakorn.

I recommend BBQ chicken, papaya salad, sticky rice and pork satay.

I don't know much, but I do know Thai food.
My site: Cheap Eats Bangkok (http://www.cheapeatsbangkok.com)

On the way home, we often grab a pizza from Marri's, corner of Katella and Walnut, the southeast corner of the resort.
They are a full service resaurant.

La Palma Chicken Pie Shop is an Anaheim classic.
It opened the same year as Disneyland.
It's a few lights north of I-5, on Euclid.

About 3 miles west of Disneyland, just west of Gilbert, on Ball, is Zanchou Chicken.
If you like garlic, you'll love Zanchou!

These and other ideas are on my map page (http://home.pacbell.net/dagravy/OCmap.html).

chinamama
09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Soooo is La Palma Chicken Pie Shop really that good? It was on the list before, but it really looked like a dive.... About how much $$$$

Thanks, for the suggestions! Keep them coming!!!

Laurie :fez:

Stupid_American
09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
It's a dive, aka diner.
It's a family place.
It has the ambience of a Denny's gone retro.
You'll think you hit a time warp.

A chicken pie, potatoes, soup and salad, roll, and dessert will set you back less than 6 bucks.
Halibut, scallops, or the seafood combo might run around $7.50.

I would stick with the chicken pie (as in "Chicken Pie" Shop).
It's packed with chicken, no veggies.
You can choose all white if desired.
Also, go with the fries.

It's served straight up, not even a sprig of parsley.

There are no wine pairings.
In fact, there is no beer or wine at all.

You won't find hip foodies or movers and shakers there.
You'll find families.

You'll probably either love it or hate it.

They are open 9am to 8pm, Monday through Saturday.
Closed on Sundays.

If you want a sure bet, go with Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant.
It's classic fried chicken and a real crowd pleaser.
Heck, it's the restaurant that built the amusement park!
That will probably run $10 a head.

chinamama
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Of course Mrs Knotts, that goes without saying!!! :D Infact once for Dinner and once for Breakfast! YUMMMMM Chicken and eggs Double YUMM!!!!

So can we get Chicken Pot Pies to go? Sounds good!

Laurie :p

melmel
09-29-2005, 09:33 PM
The White House! It's an Italian restaurant about 1 mile from DLR, on Anaheim Blvd and Ball, parallel to the 5. :)

Stupid_American
09-30-2005, 07:31 AM
So can we get Chicken Pot Pies to go? Sounds good!

Laurie :p

Yes

junglemom
09-30-2005, 08:26 AM
If you want a sure bet, go with Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant.
It's classic fried chicken and a real crowd pleaser.
Heck, it's the restaurant that built the amusement park!
That will probably run $10 a head.

Where is Mrs. Knott's?

tod
09-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Where is Mrs. Knott's?

Knott's Berry Farm, another theme park over on Beach Boulevard, a few miles from Disneyland. Here's the link: http://knotts.com

--t

Stupid_American
09-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Where is Mrs. Knott's?
You can park for free while dining at the restaurant. Drive in front of the park and the attendant will direct you. The restaurant is out front.

chinamama
09-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Where is Mrs. Knott's?

Main Entrance to Knotts Berry Farm
================================================== ========
Since June 1934, it's been the same story every day: locals, tourists and folk "just passing through" start lining up on Grand Avenue for Cordelia's famous fried chicken.

Of course, back then Mrs. Knott did all the cooking and her three daughters served the five-table Tea Room. Since 1934, over 20,000,000 guests have eaten chicken dinners in the famous restaurant.

In fact, the restaurant bearing Mrs. Knott's name has grown into one of the country's largest full-service family eateries.

Mrs. Knott's traditional chicken dinners are something to crow about just as they were that Wednesday afternoon in June back in 1934 when Cordelia served them at the Farm for the very first time. But then, why shouldn't they be, for the menu still features the same famous chicken, biscuits, and boysenberry pie.

Each dinner is made from the "just-right" plump birds she insisted upon, and the fixin’s still include lighter-than-air buttermilk biscuits, fluffy mashed potatoes, rich chicken gravy and mouth-watering farm-fresh vegetables. The sheer goodness of the platters of piping hot chicken keeps guests coming back time after time. They always know they'll sit down to a dinner that is an unforgettable treat, at prices that make the biggest family seem small.

While the name sake dinner is still the main draw for the restaurant's 1.1 million annual customers, the menu features other items as well. These include various lunch and dinner entrees, soups, salads, sandwiches and a complete Farm breakfast featuring French toast, pancakes, and daily specials.

Restaurant Hours & General Information
The restaurant is open everyday except Christmas.

Breakfast Menu
Served from 7:00 to 11:00 a.m. daily

Senior Breakfast Specials (Seniors 60+)
Everyday, excluding holidays
Served from 7:00 to 10:30 a.m.

Brunch
Served every Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
For Brunch Reservations call (714) 220-5055

Lunch Menu
Served from 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Dinner Menu
Served from 11:00 a.m. daily.

Senior Dinner Specials (Seniors 60+)
Everyday, excluding holidays
Served 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Closing times vary throughout the year.
Banquet Rooms are available for parties of 40 or more.
Call for more information.

Reservations
Reservations are taken on a limited basis for parties of twelve or more.
A 15% gratuity is added to reservations.
Call (714) 220-5080

pisces
10-01-2005, 11:47 AM
There's another deli way way way down Harbor, going south, into Costa Mesa. It's right at Harbor and the 405. It's called Kaplan's and it was voted Orange County's best deli. I'm thinking it might be the same distance from Disneyland as Katella.

I've eaten at both Katella and Kaplans. It's hard to say which one is better. They are both good.

Katella has better bagels, though. Well, all of their baked goods, as they've got that bakery that goes on for miles.......But Kaplans is excellent if you're headed down that way.