PDA

View Full Version : Strange Hours at DLR

sdfilmcritic
09-28-2005, 09:53 AM
I don't ever remember Disneyland closing at 8 PM on a weekday in September during the off season. Does anyone else remember the park ever closing that early?

Alex S.
09-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Don't know how long it has been this way, but these are the same hours as 2004 and 2003 according to Park Updates from those times.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040920.htm
http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr030922.htm

ToursbabeC3po
09-28-2005, 09:59 AM
As far as I know it always has during the week. The reason I know is because Candlelight rehearsals start in Sept because the park started to close early.

9oldmen
09-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Staying open until 8 P.M. on an off-season week day? That actually seems kind of later than it used to be. I remember when they used to close at 6 this time of year.

Mickey
09-28-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't ever remember Disneyland closing at 8 PM on a weekday in September during the off season. Does anyone else remember the park ever closing that early?

I remember Disneyland closing at 6pm, and 8pm during this season. Better go on a weekend. More night hours and fireworks show. ;)

potzbie
09-28-2005, 10:14 AM
For as long as I have been an Annual Passholder, DCA has always closed at 6:00 (weekdays) and DL always closed at 8:00 (weekdays).

The exceptions are week-ends (Fri., Sat. Sun.) and holidays.

I remember this because I had ached so badly for the summer hours or for the holiday season, so that DL would stay open later.
It was SO fustrating to wait.
That is why I remember so well.

Maybe, as Crush The Turtle might say, "You are having a Dory moment?"
;)

sdfilmcritic
09-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Maybe, as Crush The Turtle might say, "You are having a Dory moment?"Maybe. I've gone on a weeklong vacation to Disneyland for the last two vacations and both of them were during the off season (around October to November). I should have remembered the park hours during that time.

TP2000
09-28-2005, 12:27 PM

This is the ninth year that Disneyland has closed at 8:00pm on off-season weekdays, beginning the day after Labor Day. They began those extended off-season hours in September, 1997.

Up until May of 1997 Disneyland routinely closed at 6:00pm on off-season weekdays, usually beginning the day after Labor Day. The 6:00pm weekday close had been standard practice for decades prior to 1997.

And of course if you go back to the years 1956 through 1984, Disneyland was simply closed entirely on Mondays and Tuesdays in the off-season. After a brief stint with 7 day a week operation in the Fall of 1955, it did not resume 7 day a week operation until 1985.

Disneyland's 8:00pm closing time on off-season weekdays is still a fairly new thing, considering it's only been done for the last 9 years in a Park that's been opened for 50 years. Disneyland still offers the longest off-season operation, as Sea World, Universal Studios and Knott's Berry Farm all close at 6:00pm on weekdays. Legoland closes at 5:00pm, but is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays entirely. And Magic Mountain is only open three days a week this time of year, with limited weekend operation only.

sdfilmcritic
09-28-2005, 06:42 PM
I remembered about the park being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays way back in the day when the park first opened. I just wasn't too sure about the recent years. I'm just forgetful. That's all.

Crazy4DL
09-28-2005, 09:48 PM
I remembered about the park being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays way back in the day when the park first opened. I just wasn't too sure about the recent years. I'm just forgetful. That's all.

getting old SD? :p ;)

TowerofTerror
09-28-2005, 10:20 PM
well since i been a pass-holder for a few year I do that Disneyland has been closing at at 8pm during the weekdays Monday thru Thursday

sdfilmcritic
09-29-2005, 09:26 AM
getting old SD? :p ;)Sadly yes. {sigh} Maybe we should form a "Dory Forgets" team for MA. :p

Ward
09-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Sadly yes. {sigh} Maybe we should form a "Dory Forgets" team for MA. :p
But, would the team-members remember to show up? :p

sdfilmcritic
09-29-2005, 09:35 AM
^^ Good question. I don't know the answer to that one.

Opus1guy
09-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Up until May of 1997 Disneyland routinely closed at 6:00pm on off-season weekdays, usually beginning the day after Labor Day. The 6:00pm weekday close had been standard practice for decades prior to 1997.

And of course if you go back to the years 1956 through 1984, Disneyland was simply closed entirely on Mondays and Tuesdays in the off-season.

Yep. It's funny that because of my age and that for almost 30 years of operation Disneyland was closed Mondays and Tuesdays, that the open 7 days-a-week thing still seems relatively new to me!!! Really. The 7 days operation came about shortly after Eisner and Wells joined the Cast.

In fact, it being known that Disneyland was closed Mondays and Tuesdays was the inspiration for the whole "Wally World is closed today" bit in the original National Lampoon's Vacation movie and the short story it came from. And although back in those days it was pretty common knowledge that Disneyland was closed Mondays and Tuesdays...many a guest still did arrive at the park to be disappointed to find the park closed on their scheduled day of visit.

And the 6:00pm closing time was SOP except during the summer months and other peak holiday seasons.

Although I do remember that during the Summer months for many, many years that Disneyland had a closing time of 1:00am as standard. I think they've been closing at midnight now for quite some time now during the Summer, right?

sdfilmcritic
09-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Legoland actually tried running at a seven day a week operation when the park first opened. But after the initial four years of operation they realized it wasn't worth the financial stress to run such an operation. So they now are closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the off season.

WITron
09-29-2005, 09:48 PM
I remember when I worked at DL in 91 in the off season they closed at 6. then twice a year they had moviesfor CM's. We would line up outside of the park and then after they closed the park we would be led into Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and watch whatever movie was playing that week. I got to see Fantasia there one time along with whatever the current releases were.