PDA

View Full Version : Disney gift cards?

emmah
09-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi there, I am getting organised for my next trip, and have been wondering about the rechargable gift cards that disney has for sale on its website. all that confusing green american toy-money ( :) ) gets in the way of a good time (why is it all the same colour???), and i don't like to be worrying about creditcards etc in the parks. last trip we tried to do away with this hassle by buying the disney dining package, but decided it was not really our thing (too many bits of cardboard, and too many character dining options we didn't really want). so now i am wondering if perhaps buying a couple of these cards, loading them up and using them as charge cards is the way to go. so, my questions are: are they hassle free? are they easy to recharge? do all of the restaurants and merchanise shops accept them? can you charge them up with a creditcard, or would we need to bring travellers cheques to do this? is there anything to be wary of? any information welcomed! thank you! :)

stan4d_steph
09-27-2005, 07:52 AM
I haven't used a gift card, so hopefully someone who has can fill in the holes. What information I have found on the official Disney website and here at MousePlanet is:

- you can recharge at "select locations within the Park"
- you can't use them at the third-party locations in Downtown Disney
- some (maybe all now?) restaurants inside DL and DCA are taking them for dining purchases

You should be able to recharge them using a credit card, if necessary. I don't know what the expiration policy is on them (if any) but you might want to ask about that in case you don't use up all of the value. Some store cards lose their value if they are left inactive for a certain period of time, and it would be good to determine if that is true of the DL gift card.

evrythngwmn
09-27-2005, 10:28 AM
I use them a lot and they are very hassle free. Just about all of the locations take them (there are some that still don't because of technical problems). Outdoor vending does not take them. You can load them with a credit card. I don't know about the expiration thing but it would be a good question to ask. Another point to consider is they are not replaceable if lost or stolen.

Mac_gurl
09-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey guys... just wondering about these cards. Can you buy them on the net?
We are going in a month, and that would be a cool present to buy my bf and give to him before we go...

Cat H
09-27-2005, 01:38 PM
I bought two of these cards in August and used them two weeks ago on my trip. I bought them on the Disneyland web site in the purchase tickets area. The come in quatities of $25, $50, $75 etc. I was able to use them at both parks. I used them at the Blue Bayou and at several merchandise stores. The receipt that came with the cards said that once you use the card it expires after 6 months of nonuse. It only took about 4 days for the cards to arrive once I ordered them.

poohlover
09-27-2005, 01:58 PM
You can buy $25, $50 and $100 cards from disneyland.com. I ordered a card for each of my daughters, and they came within just a few days. I also ordered one for myself with a higher amount and had to call to order that. I figure this might keep me on budget!!

Mac_gurl
09-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys...
I went to buy them, and since I live in Canada, they wan't $20 for shipping.
I guess that idea went down the drain... it would've been fun to buy for him though, to get him excited for our trip!

emmah
09-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys...
I went to buy them, and since I live in Canada, they wan't $20 for shipping.
I guess that idea went down the drain... it would've been fun to buy for him though, to get him excited for our trip!

Not necessarily; I live in Australia and I have discovered that rather than ship, they hold things at "Will Call" desk in the WDTC building in DTD. Also, you can buy these cards in the parks and at the disneystore in DTD, so you literally leave it til you get there to buy them. :p

cindyland
09-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Can you buy them anywhere inside the park/DTD/or a DL Hotel? We were going to load some cards for the kids on our upcoming trip (10/10).

spacemountain85
09-27-2005, 10:59 PM
I wish they offered gift cards that were accepted EVERYWHERE, even ODV carts. They're really missing out, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would spend even more ungodly amounts of money if all I had to do was hand over a card and not even hassle with signing something, or dealing with change. My dream is to be able to keep a gift card in my lanyard holder for everything, and remain completely oblivious as to how much money I've spent.

emmah
09-28-2005, 12:44 AM
I wish they offered gift cards that were accepted EVERYWHERE, even ODV carts. They're really missing out, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would spend even more ungodly amounts of money if all I had to do was hand over a card and not even hassle with signing something, or dealing with change. My dream is to be able to keep a gift card in my lanyard holder for everything, and remain completely oblivious as to how much money I've spent.

here here! me too!!! :D :D :D

Cat H
09-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Can you buy them anywhere inside the park/DTD/or a DL Hotel? We were going to load some cards for the kids on our upcoming trip (10/10).
You can buy them at the Emporium in DL and Greetings from California in CA Adventure.