PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dreams?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jazzysmom
09-26-2005, 09:53 PM
We are going to DL & DCA without our kids, and we have never went into Golden Dreams. Should we bother? Is it worth the time out of our day? What exactly is it? How long does it take? If we don't like it can we leave?

Darkbeer
09-26-2005, 09:58 PM
We are going to DL & DCA without our kids, and we have never went into Golden Dreams. Should we bother? Is it worth the time out of our day? What exactly is it? How long does it take? If we don't like it can we leave?

Golden Dreams is about 22 minutes long, and is a film that looks back into some of California History, to me, it would be something I expect to see at a National Park Visitor Center, or on PBS.

I am not a fan of the film, as I feel it is a bit too PC...

Nobody can force you to stay in the building, so just make sure and go over to the far end of the aisle, and if you don't like it, just walk out.

Mermaid
09-26-2005, 10:16 PM
I hated this show. Some people really like it but I thought ity was cheesy. If you need a break, then it may be okay. I doubt many kids would sit through it willingly unless they were pretty tired. You can tell people "Don't forget your dream" afterwards and that makes for a good laugh!!

animagusurreal
09-27-2005, 03:42 AM
I've never been to Golden Dreams, either.

I have to say, I never really saw the appeal of sitting and watching a documentary, however good it may or may not be, while at a theme park. I like documentaries, but I can see them at home, or (if they're popular like ""March of the Penguins") in a local theatre. Of course, I can't see "Golden Dreams" in a local theatre, but I haven't yet heard anyone lauding it as a cinematic masterpiece.

Now Circle Vision I liked. That was a "theme park" experience.

I was wondering, is there anything "special" about Golden Dreams' film format? Like an extra large screen or anything?

EmmasMom
09-27-2005, 04:24 AM
I have seen it a few times. It is kind of cheesy but it brought a tear to my eye. I think that's because as a native Californian now living in Arizona it reminded me how much I miss California.

Vegitabeta
09-27-2005, 04:32 AM
I've been twice and I would say go if you need a rest because they have great air conditioning in there!

It's not a bad little film, and if you really don't like it, it doesn't last that long.

Just see how you feel when you get there! But don't worry too much about seeing it.

TowerofTerror
09-27-2005, 04:46 AM
yes you should go see it I like it has whoopi Goldberg doing the narrations

HydroGuy
09-27-2005, 05:13 AM
We saw it in August for the first time. My DW and I, who both grew up in CA, liked it. Our kids (9-13) thought it was so-so. For comparison, if someone told me they could only go to Golden Dreams or the Disneyland First 50 Years short movie at DL (which we also saw last month), I would definitely say one should see First 50 Years.

If you feel like you have time, I would say Golden Dreams is worth seeing once.

disneyhound
09-27-2005, 05:19 AM
When you need a break, it is a 20 minute rest. Darkbeer is correct about the PC feel to it, what do you expect from a Whoopie and Eisner collaboration... :p

millionairegirl
09-27-2005, 06:09 AM
I enjoy it. Especially the montage at the end. Never fails to get a sniffle out of me. Especially the close up of Sonny Bono. Sniff.

stan4d_steph
09-27-2005, 06:11 AM
I would definitely put it very low on my list of attractions.

Whittibo
09-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Oh, maybe it would be educational for my girls??

09-27-2005, 06:44 AM
I've been twice and I would say go if you need a rest because they have great air conditioning in there!

It's not a bad little film, and if you really don't like it, it doesn't last that long.

What Vegitabeta said. If you're not a Californian or an ex-Californian (like me), you might find it a little California-is-the-center-of-the-universe (as my two Midwestern kids did). I liked it; they were ... eh.

ErikBsandiego
09-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Previous poster it the nail on the head. For visitors from out of state I am not sure what they would make of this movie. For a California native it has some appeal (sorta that we are better than the rest of the coutnry appeal). I do like the montage at the end that shows some of the famous people (including walt) that embody a lot of the values that make our state great.

spectromen
09-27-2005, 07:13 AM
As a native Californian I had no strong feelings postive or negative the first time I saw it, but as a local over time it's become better to me. I know the lines, I know the scenes, but it's a nice respite from a very sunny and hot area of the park and the song at the end is worth hearing at least once.

Niwel
09-27-2005, 10:04 AM
It is one of my faves -- but I have stopped trying to get people to come with me. :) I ALWAYS cry during the song....
I do think they need to update the end montage though....

amarvel
09-27-2005, 10:17 AM
It was ok. We went at 2pm on a hot day and so it was nice to sit down and be cool for 22 minutes :)

Its nothing i would rush to see, but it wasnt horrible, I didnt feel the urge to leave or anything. but its also one of those things you only need to see once, unless its really hot outside.

evrythngwmn
09-27-2005, 10:24 AM
It is one of my faves -- but I have stopped trying to get people to come with me. :) I ALWAYS cry during the song....
I do think they need to update the end montage though....

It's one of my favorites too. I still make people see it with me. I find as a lot of others have said that the Californians seem to like it more. Some like me have even ended up teary eyed. The montage is my favorite part.

and if all else fails it is a nice time in air conditioning. :)

hbquikcomjamesl
09-27-2005, 10:38 AM
There seems to be a very vocal, but not necessarily very large group of people who hate it. I think some hate it because it was supposedly done on the cheap, lacking a lot of what was originally planned. Others apparently hate it because they consider it "politically correct." (How is telling both sides of the story, warts and all, celebrating the unsung heroes and heroines, politically correct?) Still others apparently hate Whoopi.

Personally, I rather like it. It's not as good a film as the California State Railroad Museum Foundation's Evidence of a Dream, but it's good. It would have been better if the animatronics said to have been originally planned for it had been implemented.

Vegitabeta
09-27-2005, 10:41 AM
What Vegitabeta said. If you're not a Californian or an ex-Californian (like me), you might find it a little California-is-the-center-of-the-universe (as my two Midwestern kids did). I liked it; they were ... eh.

It actually did seem like that to me, kinda...'Your dreams will come true in California, but not anywhere else!'

littlemissgorgeous
09-27-2005, 10:47 AM
It actually did seem like that to me, kinda...'Your dreams will come true in California, but not anywhere else!'

Ha...I saw the fall of the Berlin wall in germany in the montage- so I guess we are all a little californian...deep deep down inside of us..I am looking inside myself rightnow- ah yes- there it is California...thought so.. :D

DisneylandForever
09-27-2005, 01:59 PM
If you're not a Californian or an ex-Californian (like me), you might find it a little California-is-the-center-of-the-universe

Isn't it?

:p

I liked the movie. Yes pretty cheesy, but worth the 20 minutes IMO. I also love the end song/montage.

Iceman
09-27-2005, 04:53 PM
As happens often enough to make me question my sanity ( ;) ), I agree with hbquikcomjamesl. Those who supposedly hate the movie only have obvious and unfair biases at play. It's nicely done, tells an inspiring story, and (unlike many of the attractions the mindless DCA-haters bash) is clearly California-centric.

ILovePoker
09-27-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't even come from the same country as California. I'm up north. :D I really liked it. It was very inspiring and made me a little emotional. It was great to see California develop through the years and even though I'm not from California, or the USA, I really enoyed it.

I would definitely advise seeing it. You might regret it if you don't see the film. Just because some may not like it doesn't mean that you shouldn't see it. It is their opinion and my opinion but I would advise seeing it atleast once.

I think some people hate it because they might actually learn something. :~D Someone said they hated Epcot because they said it was too educational. Oh my god, the fact that you might learn something while on vacation is just blasphemy. :fez:

mkcbunny
09-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Oh my god, the fact that you might learn something while on vacation is just blasphemy. :fez:
LOL. There's just enough controversy around this that I might even go just to form an opinion on it. Ha! I keep putting it off, but one of these days, we'll have a few minutes where we need to rest and we'll do it.