PDA

View Full Version : Back from DL- a trip report long and Photos!

littlemissgorgeous
09-26-2005, 10:01 AM
I am baaaaaack..and glad to be home again..3 weeks on the road have taken their toll, not to mention my jet leg..

In week two my friend Simone and I arrived in Anaheim. Right when we pulled in on Harbor Blvd. we started smiling and became suddenly very happy- especially when we saw the first bits of the park behind the fences.
We arrived Sat. Sept. 3 rd and drove straight to our resort Dolphins Cove on Orangewood Blvd. We were tired of the long drive from Cambria and spend the evening @ the apartement- which was very nice. Shortly after 9 Pm a loud noise made us run out on to the balcony and there it was- what a view -the lighted Tower of Terror and parts of the fireworks above it. We are at Disneyland- yeaaaaahhhhh!!!

Sun Sept 4 th we slept long and relaxed .
We arrived @ 3 pm at the Mickey and Friends parking structure and took the tram to DL. It was already very crowded just like I expected.
We entered the park and went straight to New Orleans Square already having this in mind... YO HO YO HO... POTC and HM were only a 5 min. wait we were surprised but also happy. We got really wet @ POTC..the water in the canals was very high and every time we went around a curve the boat bumped into the sides of the canal and water ran right onto the bench we were sitting on. We looked like we peed our pants after leaving POTC...but we are real pirates and have no fear of water...
After that we went to see Snow White, the crowds in front of the theater were horryfying. Luckily I purchased preferred seating passes @ ebay- so it was only a short wait and front row seats for us. Being so close to the stage and perfomers was great and although I am not a musical fan I really liked the show.
We shopped a little on Main Street and went for Dinner to the Rainforest Cafe..the wait times for the inside of the cafe were enormous so we catched a seat on the balcony in the sun...which gave our pants the chance to dry.. Food was great as always..
It already started to get dark and we left for DCA. We arrived 30 mins before the start of the Electrical Parade and got very good seats right in front of Golden Dreams. I loved the parade and the beautiful floats..it was over much to quick.
As the parade ended everyone headed for the exit, but we went to the lake and admired the beautiful lights of Screamin and the Sunwheel.
When we arrived @ the entry plaza there were large crowds @ the gates to DL..we called it a day and went home...on the tram and @ the parking lot we watched bits of the fireworks, which even from those bad view points looked amazing.

Thu Sept. 8 th we arrived @ shortly before 9 for early entrance, but the entry plaza was already packed. Lots of people standing in line , which did not have early entrance- this caused lots of confusion.
After 20 min we finally entered Main Street and went straight to Fantasyland. We went on Mr. Toads, Pinocchio and the Matterhorn with only short wait times. I got a very special souvenir from the Matterhorn which was a big bruise on my hip, because I bumped into the sides of the vehicle. If you heard someone yodel on that ride that day- that was no new sound effect that was me ...
@ 9 we went to Toontown for the Morning Madness. We rode Roger Rabitts Cartoon spin- which made feel sick, because my friend used the spinning wheel all the time..
@ 9: 20 Mickey and friends entered Toontown in a parade- dancing and waving flags-..the parade ended on the stairs of the City Hall. Where Mickey held a speech- of course everything went wrong and it all got a little crazy, but thats Toontown. The ceremony ended with everyone repeating the Toontown vow and we all became honorary citizens of Toontown.
After that we stood in line @ Mickey house for photos, which took very long but was finally worth the wait.
Next was my hate ride IASW..I was in such good mood- I thought I give this ride another chance. But my mood changed after only two seconds in the boat- thats when everybody started using flash. It was very annoying and they were not interested in stopping and flashed right into my face.. So we fought back- we used our flashes too- directly into their direction. They stopped after that. I guess that was a sign- no more IASW for me.. :p
Now it was Adventure Land time: the Jungle Cruise was so funny- when we entered the boat we were asked where we are from. After the CM found out that we are german, he started talking about the good german food and that he lived there once...and so on...during the ride he made a lot of jokes which were related to germany- it cracked me up. Sadly I donīt remember even one..
@ the Ti Ti Tiki Room I had my first Dole Whip yummy...
Indiana Jones was brilliant...did I mention that I had a crush on Harrison Ford when I was teenager..okay- I spare you..
We were hungry and went to New Orleans Square for lunch @ the Blue Bayou. I had the Jambalaya for starters which was delicious..followed by the Monte Christo sandwich, which was good, but very greasy. I also loved the Mint Julip- very refreshing..I really enjoyed lunch, the whole atmosphere @ the BB is worth the money..
With full stomachs we went to Critter Country, took pictures with Pooh and rode Poohs ride (walk on ).
Then it was zippedi dey zippedidooh ( I have no idea how to write this in english ) time and we went on Splash ( 15 min wait ).
We explored a little more of the park...went to Tomorrowland for Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear ( both 10 min wait ). Buzz showed me one more time that I am not born to be a Star Ranger- I will not embarass myself by telling you my result. But lets put it that way- every 6 year old on that ride propably laughed at me..
Space Mountain was only a 10 min wait and sorry if I have to say it, it is not worth 1 minute more. The loading area looks very nice but the ride itself is so bumpy and the projections in the dark so poor. The rockets are very uncomfortable and you bump from one side to the other during the ride. The seats have no stabilisation for your neck and back, I really have problems with my back after that ride. Sorry maybe I am a little too harsh, but after riding Space Mountain in Paris, this is a total disappointment. :mad:
It started to get dark and we catched a seat for the Parade of dreams in the preferred seating area in front of IASW. The floats are even more beautiful when they are lighted- it was great...the princess float had its show stop in front of us and all the little girls around us went crazy.
We followed the floats to Main Street- the parade becomes more and more beautiful the darker it gets.
Then it was good night for us- our feet needed a serious rest...
See some of my photos Of DL
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/821567
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/823859

littlemissgorgeous
09-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Fri Sept. 9
We entered DCA @ 10 am and went straight to Soarin`---wow, what a great ride..I loved it so much, because we were flying over all the areas we already have visited during our trip...and even my friend who is afraid of heights forgot her fear and enjoyed it...
The weather on that day was a little colder and it was very cloudy thats why we decided not to ride GRR..but I have to say the ride looks amazing with Grizzly Peak in the Background...
We bought a hot coffe to warm us @ Paradise Pier and went into the Golden Dreams theater..the movie was well done, but propably nothing new to americans. However we liked it and even spotted scences of the fall of the Berlin wall during the song @ the end of the movie. Which gave us goosebumps...
We went over to Redwood Creek Challenge to see the Brother Bear Totem Ceremony, which was fun even for adults..after the show we took pictures with Koda and Kenai.
@ Bugs Land we watched "Itīs tough to be a bug" and then the Ugly Bug Ball show, which is absolutley hilarious. The Cm which plays Madame Butterfly is unbelievable funny..Flik took pictures with us after the show.
For lunch we had Chilli dogs and Smoothies ( we donīt have that in germany ) @ Award Wieners @ the Hollywood Pictures Backlot.
We were a little late but still catched front row preferred seats for Aladdin. This show was amazing, excellent..this production is so good, it alone is worth the entry money to DCA. I loved the flying carpet over the audience and the life size elephant which walks through the theater. It was standing ovations from me after the show- my friend had to drag me out of the theater.. :D
Back over @ DL we watched the parade again from Mainstreet in front of the 50 years exhibit. A totally different experience at day. The show stop of the Tinkerbell float was right in front of us.
After the parade we escaped the crowds on the Railroad and did a full loop around the park. It was the first time that I saw the Grand Canyon and Primeval World.
Back @ DCA we arrived just in time for the Block Party Bash @ Sunplaza. It was so much fun, we danced and sang along.
Just when the parade ended I headed straight into Enginear Toys and bought all Disney parts for my Mr. Potatoe head and yes the box closed. Mr . Potatoe Head was very happy when I came home.. :D
@ Paradies Pier we rode Golden Zephyr, Jumpin Jelly Fish and the Sun wheel ( all walk on ) in a stationary gondola. When I saw the swinging gondolas it already made sick. :rolleyes:
Then it was time for Tot..our CM / lift boy was brilliant..he gave me the shivers, but also made me laugh..it was great...
Muppet 3 D is one of my favorites ..because I grew up with the Muppets..I enjoyed especially the pre show where a CM made some very bad - but still funny jokes!!!
I really enjoyed my day @ DCA..but I believe that there could be more good rides...the whole design of the park is great and I liked it very much, but I guess as an american or even a californian resident it is not that ecxiting, because you see those things every day. I hope this park will improve and that I get a chance to visit it again.... :D
Back @ DL we shopped a little and then got seats for the fireworks@ the end of Mainstreet...we didnīt see the Matterhorn, but the show was nonetheless absolutley brilliant...I never ever have seen something like this before...words can not describe this show, just the whole atmosphere with the music and audio from the rides is brilliant...I loved the show - it was the last thing I saw of DL and it will stay in my memory a very long time... :D

I try to post a trip report of all the other places I visited soon...

See some of my photos of DCA
http://littlemissgorgeous.smugmug.com/gallery/826643
http://littlemissgorgeous.smugmug.com/gallery/830505
Please tell me if the links donīt work...

kohl
09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
I got to see all the pictures. Thanks for the great trip report and the pictures!
I can't wait till our trip! :D

WITron
09-27-2005, 11:23 PM
How was the Dolphin Cove Resort. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom suite for a week when we go in Dec and would like to know what you thought.

littlemissgorgeous
09-27-2005, 11:43 PM
How was the Dolphin Cove Resort. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom suite for a week when we go in Dec and would like to know what you thought.

The resort is very nice. We stayed in a one bedroom apartement with full kitchen. The rooms are very clean and the furniture looked pretty new.
Orangewood Blvd. is a quite area, which is nice. But Target and other grocery stores are just down the street on harbor Blvd.
The resort offers a wide range of activities also for kids, they have a pool and childrens pool. Resort staff is good and helpful.
The apartements are on two levels, and they have beautiful tropical gardens.
Which I thought was very good is that you can only enter the complex with your room card.
The resort is close to DL you can either walk ( 25 min ) or drive ( 5 min ). There is also a trolley in the Anaheim Resort for a small fee.
Out of 10 I give the resort a 8.

garrett240
09-28-2005, 06:36 AM
Where do they do the Snow White play? My daughter would love it!

Thanks for the pics, great report!

junglemom
09-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Where do they do the Snow White play? My daughter would love it!

Thanks for the pics, great report!

There is a stage on the left hand side just before you enter toontown, right across from IASW.

DangerMouse
09-28-2005, 07:48 AM
There is a stage on the left hand side just before you enter toontown, right across from IASW.

Unfortunately, the Snow White show is now on hiatus until next summer. Great trip report!

Skunker
09-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the report and the pictures! I have been driving my hubby nuts all day emailing him some of the shots to get him in the mood. ha ha

mad4mky
09-28-2005, 12:01 PM
The resort is very nice. We stayed in a one bedroom apartement with full kitchen. The rooms are very clean and the furniture looked pretty new.
Orangewood Blvd. is a quite area, which is nice. But Target and other grocery stores are just down the street on harbor Blvd.
The resort offers a wide range of activities also for kids, they have a pool and childrens pool. Resort staff is good and helpful.
The apartements are on two levels, and they have beautiful tropical gardens.
Which I thought was very good is that you can only enter the complex with your room card.
The resort is close to DL you can either walk ( 25 min ) or drive ( 5 min ). There is also a trolley in the Anaheim Resort for a small fee.
Out of 10 I give the resort a 8.

We are owners at Dolphin's Cove Resort...and have gotten spoiled by staying there. We just love the SPACE that you have while staying there vs. a hotel/motel room.
I'm glad to hear that you liked it as well. :)

And, thanks for sharing your pictures.
You were kind of like me when I went to DL Paris. I went camera crazy and took TONS of pictures. :D

But...opposite of you, I found the DL Paris Space Mountain to be too jerky. My head/neck was killing me afterwards. But, maybe it is because I am very short, and the head bar was made for taller people. My head kept slamming back and forth. It made the ride intolerable for me. I didn't want to go on a 2nd time...

Anyway, I am glad you had a great time. It was fun reading your report. :)