PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim residents complaining about the air quality

zapppop
03-01-2002, 04:27 PM
Anahiem residents are complaining that the fireworks shot off at Disneyland are polluting their air and are creating a safety hazard. The South Coast Air Quality Management District will test air particles to collect any residue.

To read the full story CLICK HERE (http://cbs2.com/StoryFolder/story_3940499_html).

I hope this doesn't effect Believe or Fantasmic this summer.

coronamouseman
03-01-2002, 06:16 PM
Now that's an interesting development .........

By the way, besides the two performances of Fantasmic and the regular fireworks over Disneyland there is also the massive fireworks displays that Disney's Anaheim Angels set off every Friday night at Edison Field .........

It's even more interesting because the flight paths for John Wayne Airport sometimes bring passenger aircraft arriving from the north around LAX, past Long Beach over the ocean and up the Santa Ana River before turning for approach around Edison Field or DLR (preferred flight path over Tustin is used by air traffic arriving from the east)

It's actually surprising that there are not more complaints from residents of the DLR area - there are residences just back of DL, and residences just west and south of DLR - all of these persons probably hear the fireworks and shows and most certainly see and breath the smoke clouds from Fantasmic ..........

And one might expect that with DLR failing to fill the coffers of the City of Anaheim as promised that even the normally benevolent politicians may now be ready to get tough with their big-talk, small-delivery partner .............

ishkabibble
03-01-2002, 06:38 PM
Buy the condo adjacent to the pool, and then complain about the noise.

Sorry, zero sympathy.

Dreamstaker
03-01-2002, 08:33 PM
A very small percentage of Anaheim residents are complaining (with loud whiney squeeky wheels).

As a Anaheim resident who lives VERY close to the park, I can say 99% of the people in my area either enjoy the fireworks or stopped actually hearing them years ago. Kind of like you tune out a grandfather clock in your house. People come to visit and go ooh the fireworks are going off. They are, oh yeah it's 9:30, I didn't notice.

BJW
03-01-2002, 09:36 PM
I would agree with them when it comes to Luminaria. I was sick for two days after breathing the smoke generated by that show. Also, I was standing pretty far away from the lake when I watched it. Maybe they should monitor shows like that. This one is an obvious pollutant.

Nigel2
03-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Its one thing if they are 20 feet away since the smoke is in a big cloud (its not that dangerous since you aren't breathing it constantly for years) but is probably has dissapated to the point that there is no seroious threat to people.

tabacco
03-01-2002, 11:47 PM
To quote one of my favorite movies:
- "How often does the train go by?"
- "So often you won't even notice."

socabch
03-02-2002, 07:49 AM
ishkabibble

I agree with you. If memory serves me right, DL has been there alot longer than most of the housing around that area. It's like people who buy near an airport and then fight the city to have the airport make all these changes because the jet noise ruins their day or night. I live with in very close to SW. I hear and see the fireworks from my window. I chose to buy here after SW was built and the firewoks don't bother me at all. In fact I miss them when they are not there.

As for pollution, I would be more worried about things that are more polluting than fireworks. Pretty soon, if these kind of groups get their way we won't have fireworks on 4th of July

SpaceMTJunkie
03-02-2002, 07:57 AM
I find it kind of funny that a certain group of people who live in the Anaheim area are complaining about the fireworks at Disneyland polluting the air. It couldn't have anything to do with the millions of cars in the area driving around daily helping to kick up dust from the streets into the air could it?

justagrrl
03-02-2002, 08:48 AM
As an Anaheim resident - I don't know what these people are talking about! The fireworks are great.

We used to live on the other side of Disneyland - closer to harbor / chapman area - and now live on the opposite side - more in the Ball/Brookhurst area. We are slightly farther away now then we used to be. Back then, the fireworks were litereally right over head. You'd feel the initial big BOOM BOOM in your chest.

Now, I have to view them through the trees or go up to the neighbors balcony for a better view.

Have never experienced anything smells, smoke, or anything but a beautiful view of the fireworks.

They (the fireworks) used to taunt me...you can't come to disneyland...you can just view the pretty lights....Now that I'm an AP'er the fireworks call me over there.

Funny thing though is that we NEVER stay at Disneyland late enough to watch the fireworks. Never ever...it's always about leaving quick before they are over and we get stuck in the crowd. Never really thought about that before...we really should stay and watch them from Disneyland at least once. :)

As for the muggles who are complaining...I'll bet they don't have passes and are just jealous. ;)

stan4d_steph
03-02-2002, 11:15 AM
As an environmental engineer in the field of air quality, I will be very interested in the results of the air sampling study. I don't really understand the story that zapppop refers to though. I am not familiar with the "glass plate" sampling method. Sounds rather strange to me, and is not an ambient air sampling method with which I am familiar. However, as an AP holder, I hope the results show that levels of particulate matter are not high enough to cause the SCAQMD to take action. I would think that the metals that could potentially be present are of concern from a health effects stand point. We will see.

I do agree with people above who say that you should be aware of what is near you before you move into a place. However, according to the article, the number of shows has increased recently, which could be what is bothering people who were okay with previous levels. I think if anything happens, it will most likely be a reduction in number of shows and/or amount of fireworks. The SCAQMD also might be more restrictive on when fireworks can be used based on atmospheric conditions that would cause ground level concentrations to be higher.

I think I should stop now, since I've gone on for a while. To sum up: I hope the results are in Disney's favor, but understand the neighbors' concerns.

Morrigoon
03-02-2002, 05:29 PM
Sorry, but I totally agree with the above opinions Steph: If you buy a house at the end of the runway in a growing city, you really can't complain when air traffic increases. If these people are worried about air pollution, they should just ban smoking in the city. The millions of cigarettes being lit each day have got to be more polluting than 15 minutes worth of pyro. Seriously, how stupid ARE they?

When I was getting my SIDA badge at Dallas Love Field a couple years ago, a call came into the office that was some neighbor complaining about the noise. I guess it was just her weekly call to keep the complaint tally up. She should try collecting stamps.

Ace
03-03-2002, 06:28 PM
exactly. people buy a house next to train tracks that aren't in use at the time... and then complain when a train starts running on them 5 months later.

Kevin Yee
03-03-2002, 06:35 PM
The fireworks are a long-standing issue, actually.

You remember the show before Believe, right? Fantasy in the Sky, it was called. Around 1996, the show was irrevocably changed. Why? Because that type of show, where the explosions weren't really timed to the music that well, had to rely on giant exploding shells and big booms. Residents complained, and by 1996 they had their way - the show had to have fewer explosions above a certain decibel level.

Result: the Fantasy in the Sky show sucked for a while, had long pauses with not much going on.

Unintended Result: DL went back to the drawing board and devised a new fireworks system with multiple tiers, lower, smaller, quieter explosions... and we get Believe as a result.

Moral of the story: sometimes the nagging neighbors result in something good.

(now, those windshields on the Maliboomer have to go, though)

coronamouseman
03-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Several observations:

(1) Housing located north and west of Disneyland is what one might call "affordable", meaning that residents there probably do not have a lot of choice about moving if they wanted to .......

(2) Prevailing winds in the evening are off the Pacific Ocean to the south so clouds will move primarily northward over these areas of lower value housing

So I believe it is wrong to blame local residents for buying in the shadow of DLR if they don't have a lot of other choices available to them ...........

Morrigoon
03-03-2002, 09:26 PM
I see,
So let's say you go to the department store to buy an appliance. You find one that's discounted because it's got a huge dent in the side. You can afford it, thanks to the discount. You buy the appliance, then 2 years later you complain to the better business bureau because Sears sold you a scratched appliance.

coronamouseman
03-03-2002, 09:39 PM
Morigoon:

I think it's more like this: you scrape together to buy a house for your family wherever you can afford it on your modest income and it happens to be in the "fog zone" of a newly created entertainment presented by the largest taxpaying entity in the city ...............

Or perhaps something more along the lines of what some of the many new homeowners in Irvineland down the I5 might experience in the coming years: you spend half a million on your dream house in rural Irvine (which you had to wait a month for in camp-out mode when they were first sold) and now you find out that a bunch of north county supervisors have decided to allow 45 747's a day to take off and land over your backyard ..........

Sometimes economic necessities force people to accept some measure of risk in terms of where they live but that doesn't mean that the civic powers that be can't look out for their interest at least a little bit!

Morrigoon
03-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Don't count me out yet, my friend. I am low-income myself. But I am aware, as I am looking at real estate, that in order to get something I can afford, I'm going to have to make some compromises (location, noise, etc). Either that, or I'm going to have to invest my money elsewhere and wait until I can afford something I won't hate, which is what I'm choosing to do.

The other answer is to try a different area - inland is cheaper, other states are WAY cheaper, and low-pay unskilled jobs abound. I have moved twice now for economic reasons. It's been beneficial both times.

coronamouseman
03-03-2002, 09:54 PM
Well, let's just say that since there is housing in the areas talked about there will be people dwelling in those areas for whatever reason and it would just seem to be fair that the City of Anaheim or the State of California should be just as concerned about the well-being of those citizens as it is about generating taxes from Disney.