PDA

View Full Version : Which rides require dramamine? (for those sensitive riders)

Skunker
09-25-2005, 11:13 AM
My hubby and son are sensitive to spinny rides. For those that are also that way, which DL or DCA rides give you trouble? I know the teacups are a given, no way can they ride them. Space Mountain also bothers my hubby. My son hasn't been yet (well he was a baby last time) and he's 6 now. We went on the tilt a whirl and spider at six flags and that was too much for him. He didn't yammy, but his stomach was very upset.
Any advice on what to avoid, or at least take dramamine for?? (by the way, does that stuff work?)

Thanks!

cryan71
09-25-2005, 11:22 AM
My hubby and son are sensitive to spinny rides. For those that are also that way, which DL or DCA rides give you trouble? I know the teacups are a given, no way can they ride them. Space Mountain also bothers my hubby. My son hasn't been yet (well he was a baby last time) and he's 6 now. We went on the tilt a whirl and spider at six flags and that was too much for him. He didn't yammy, but his stomach was very upset.
Any advice on what to avoid, or at least take dramamine for?? (by the way, does that stuff work?)

Thanks!

Small World

emmah
09-25-2005, 12:05 PM

stay away from the orange stinger at DCA, and the astro obiter in tomorrowland. :D

SCUBAbe
09-25-2005, 12:14 PM
There are no rides at DL or DCA that would require medication before riding. I have felt slightly quesy while riding the tea cups and californai screamin, but nothing that does not go away quickly or I would even mention while at the parks. If I felt so sick after riding on the attractions that i had to contemplate whether to take medication beforehand or after I would not go to theme parks.

Skunker
09-25-2005, 12:33 PM
There are no rides at DL or DCA that would require medication before riding. I have felt slightly quesy while riding the tea cups and californai screamin, but nothing that does not go away quickly or I would even mention while at the parks. If I felt so sick after riding on the attractions that i had to contemplate whether to take medication beforehand or after I would not go to theme parks.

With all due respect, that is the case for YOU. I am the same way, I can ride almost anything without motion sickness. However, there are many people who cannot travel by air or car, or ride amusement park rides without feeling ill, so they take medication to help. It has to do with the inner ear and perception of movement and it's totally involuntary. (ie, it doesn't happen because you're a "wuss")

I don't think that staying out of theme parks or never flying, etc is really the solution. Apparently dramamine helps some people with this issue. That's why I addressed my post to them.

lisap
09-25-2005, 12:45 PM
We've never tried dramamine to deal with motion sickness at the park--doesn't it make you sleepy? My husband gets motion sickness and just knows to avoid the rides that tend to give him a headache or make him dizzy--Star Tours, Space Mt., TOT, Screamin'. There are plenty of other things to see and do. :)

hlbtimes2
09-25-2005, 12:46 PM
I would stay away from things that spin (tea cups,astro orbitor, orange stinger), rather then take meds. But, it could be because dramamine makes me really loopy and I hate that feeling. LOL

kohl
09-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I felt pretty sick after Orange Stinger. My mom almost lost it after California Screamin, but that might not even be open.

EmmasMom
09-25-2005, 01:01 PM

Thanks!

I am one of those people who gets motion sickness easily. Car rides, airplanes, "fun rides" at theme parks all make me queasy. I take Bonine or generic version (meclizine hci) and it really helps. Be sure to read the label thoroughly and take as directed. It doesn't make me drowsy and I get to enjoy the day with everyone else.

Drince88
09-25-2005, 01:28 PM
I'd be careful giving a 6 year old dramamine, just because I've heard it can really make you tired. Maybe give his pediatrician a call? Also, I'm not a big fan of medicating for no reason, but you might want to try it out on both of them before hand, to see how they react. The last thing I'd want to do is give a kid (or an adult) medications to ward off motion sickness from SOME rides, just to not have them able to enjoy ANY of Disneyland because of the medication.

SCUBAbe
09-25-2005, 01:35 PM
I'd be careful giving a 6 year old dramamine, just because I've heard it can really make you tired. Maybe give his pediatrician a call? Also, I'm not a big fan of medicating for no reason, but you might want to try it out on both of them before hand, to see how they react. The last thing I'd want to do is give a kid (or an adult) medications to ward off motion sickness from SOME rides, just to not have them able to enjoy ANY of Disneyland because of the medication.

I feel the same way. Rides that I may feel sick on I avoid. It doesn't take to much for me to look at the teacups and know I may feel sick if I ride them. I get car sick. I also get very ill on boats. Everytime I go on a boat I feel sick, but I don't medicate myself. Personally I would rather feel sick than drowsy. As long as the boat moves fast i'm fine. For example the high speed boats that go to catalina, but put me on the slower boats and I feel like I'm going to hurl. On a side note, on our last DL trip my daughter had a cold. I gave her tylenol day, but it wiped her out. She was a zombie most of the trip and it wasn't fun for anyone until that medicine wore off.....

blackjackdelta
09-25-2005, 01:47 PM
My son gets sick on anything that moves. We get a Transdermscop patch and cut it in half and put it behind his ear. It lasts for about 3 days and he can ride anything. Does not appear to make him drowsy but does require a prescription..I would talk to a Doc and see what works.

MrsG
09-25-2005, 01:56 PM
There are no rides at DL or DCA that would require medication before riding.If I felt so sick after riding on the attractions that i had to contemplate whether to take medication beforehand or after I would not go to theme parks.
That is your opinion.

Many rides at DLR make me sick, but there is so much more to DLR than thrill rides. (Thank you for your input on that ginakai!)

Some rides for me I know I can't do: Screamin', Mullholand Madness, Stinger and the rest of those spinny carny rides in DCA, Space Mtn., Star Tours, Teacups, Orbitors. Others are okay sometimes, other times just feel it a bit: Indy, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Soarin'. You do spin pretty good in Grizzly River but for some reason it doesn't bother me too much. Must be from being soaked!

Skunker
09-25-2005, 01:57 PM
I will certainly call his pediatrician before I give him anything, if I do give him anything. That patch sounds interesting. We definetly won't be riding the teacups, orbitors, etc. I just wanted to make him as comfortable as possible so he can enjoy himself.

I am all to familiar with drug induced drowsiness - I have to take antihistames everyday right now due to my allergies....zzzzzz. Actually a pharmacist told me today that with a 6 year old, it could go either way - hyper or drowsy.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!