PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever work at Blue Bayou or Club 33?

Mousetrap
09-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey there,
Ive been doing alot of thinking and might move from northern california down to anahiem. Im a server right now with lots of experiance in different restraunts and come highly recomended. Has anyone ever got hired to work at blue bayou or 33? How did you go about it? Whats it like? Money must be good, right. One of the servers there his name was Travis (awesome server, it was like me serving myself lol) said that you have to start as a busser. Any help would be appreciated, I just need some change here.
Dan

hlbtimes2
09-24-2005, 11:25 AM
For a year or so in the early 1990' my brother in law managed the BB. He was hired from the WSU resturant- hotel managment program. The money was decent as a manager, but not really all that great compared to the cost of living in that area. They even paid for him to relocate from WA state. He only stayed for a year though- it was to far from home (WA/ ID) and like I said, CA is to expensive.

I'm not sure about server positions. I think they maybe positions you have to work your way up to. I dont think they hire off the street for those premium positions.

Stupid_American
09-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Never worked there but spent some time talking with one of the servers.

Because of the tips, BB is the prime position.
No one is hired off the street.
You do have to work your way through Disneyland's food service hierarchy.

Clotho
09-24-2005, 09:00 PM
You do have to work your way through Disneyland's food service hierarchy.

I understand the idea of heirachry, but that sounds silly. I was a server for 8 years in high end restaurants here in Seattle, and to think that if I wanted to be a server at BB, I would have to shovel chow on a buffet line to "work my way up"....that just seems ridiculous. Seems that if someone with the qualifications came in from the outside, they should take advantage of it. It would certainly insure strong service at the restaurant...

Osky
09-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Clotho,

While I understand your point of view, I can also understand why Disney would want to hire from within. Many corporations have a policy of hiring from within first. One of the biggest benefits is higher employee satisfaction and loyalty, which the food service division needs all the help with that it can get.

Stupid_American
09-25-2005, 05:53 AM
Pretty much everyone working within the park, no matter the position, is considered a "cast member", from the characters and ride operators, to the food service and custodial staffs. Most positions are considered part of a greater theme. Working your way up will also demonstrate loyalty and perseverance.

Blue Bayou, although a great atmosphere, is hardly a "high end" restaurant. The clientele is hardly a "high end" clientele. And, although better than other dining locations within the park, I doubt "high end" tips are all that common. But, the tips are more substancial than other Disneyland dining venues.

SCUBAbe
09-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Blue Bayou, although a great atmosphere, is hardly a "high end" restaurant. The clientele is hardly a "high end" clientele. And, although better than other dining locations within the park, I doubt "high end" tips are all that common. But, the tips are more substancial than other Disneyland dining venues.

I totally agree. The atomosphere inside the blue bayou is nice, but the restuarant is not high end at all. It's probably on the same scale as any family chain restuarant. Think Olive Graden, Red lobster...types...I always hear people going on and on about the food there and, IMO, it's just average. It's a nice place to eat though...:)...There are far better higher end restuarants around. :)

Osky
09-25-2005, 09:11 AM
I would say it is a little better than an Olive Garden or a Red Lobster in my experience, but it is not as high end as the restaurants in DTD, such as Ralph Brennans or the HoB (which are still a step lower than true high end restaurants like the Napa Rose).

Mousetrap
09-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Yah I agree its not the highest end rest. or the people but its way better than olive garden/red lobster restarunt, those places are dennys with pasta or dennys with a fish and a bar.

SCUBAbe
09-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Yah I agree its not the highest end rest. or the people but its way better than olive garden/red lobster restarunt, those places are dennys with pasta or dennys with a fish and a bar.

tuen on the ligts, take away the ride and thats what you'll have...;)...what makes the blue bayou is the atmosphere...not the food.

the food at the olive garden is much better than a dennys, but not as good as higher end restuarants. ( I will not eat in a dennys. To be hoenst I haven't been in an olive garden or red lobster in over two years...LOL) I rarely eat out anymore around where I live. I cook better than most reatuarnts, but when we are away on weekends or vacation we eat out and blue bayou just doesn't stack up to some of the nicer places I have eaten in. It's good for DL offereing though..:)

Clotho
09-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Okay kids, hold your horses. I have been to the Blue Bayou and agree it is not high end. I never ever said it was. I was saying that my skills as a server were honed in high end restaurants, and someone like me would lend a better skill as a server, and hence a better dining experience for the guests, than someone who has never done full service restaurant work before, having been a buffeteria host or something. They are very very different skills, and it seems they would do well to hire folks with full service skills rather than hire someone who may not have them, from within.

But then again, maybe many folks on the lines HAVE had server experience, but were willing to bus tables at a buffet restaurant for a while to get to this point...

Stupid_American
09-25-2005, 05:26 PM
But then again, maybe many folks on the lines HAVE had server experience, but were willing to bus tables at a buffet restaurant for a while to get to this point...

And then again, some people just don't get it.

Many companies attempt to create a culture, Disney probably more than most.
When it comes to service positions, they really aren't too concerned with your "skills".
They wan't people that they can mold in their image.

Based on your last post, you've just failed the interview.

BB is high end fast food, brought to the table, very politely.
There are no pairings.
There is no tasting menu.
It's coffee, milk, soda or julip.

I've never really noticed if they serve to the left and remove from the right.

It's a nice meal, in a nice atmosphere,... a continuation of the theme.
The service I have recieved in BB has always been great.

I'm not questioning your skills.
I am simply pointing out that your server skills really wouldn't be of interest to Disney when applying for a position at BB.

They would be more interested in personal skills, not restaurant skills.
They will dress you up and make you the waitress of their dreams. :)