PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of Disney

Pages : [1] 2 3

Enter The Mouse
09-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Has anyone found any secrets or odd facts about the park? If so please post here.

disneyland addict13
09-22-2005, 08:04 PM
There is a half basketball court in the top of the Matterhorn. The reason it is there is because when the Matterhorn was created, it was the first tubular roller coaster ever so there was no building permit that Walt could use so he built the Matterhorn with the building permit of an athletic facility and put the half basketball court in. Of course today the correct permits are being used but that's just a bit of Disneyland trivia.

Shortiemetoo
09-22-2005, 09:31 PM
There is a half basketball court in the top of the Matterhorn. The reason it is there is because when the Matterhorn was created, it was the first tubular roller coaster ever so there was no building permit that Walt could use so he built the Matterhorn with the building permit of an athletic facility and put the half basketball court in. Of course today the correct permits are being used but that's just a bit of Disneyland trivia.

Actually I have heard that it was put there not because of the building permit but for the CM's that climbed the matterhorn or worked on the matterhorn to keep them from being bored!!

Chiidesu
09-22-2005, 10:08 PM

The post above me is correct. I don't think it was professionally built, but built by castmembers for the purpose of not being bored. My teacher who used to work at Disneyland was saying how people imagine it to be a full blown basketball court, but in reality it is just a plain basket and the half-court drawn on the floor? Any CMs can correct me because I kind of forgot how my teacher described it. Also, I heard the book Mouse Tales by David Koenig is a good resource for "Disney Secrets"... Although I have yet to pick it up in the bookstore ]:

The Lovely Mrs. tod
09-22-2005, 10:28 PM
One moment please...

tod
09-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Has anyone found any secrets or odd facts about the park? If so please post here.

Just inside the Castle there is a round survey marker, flush with the floor, about the size of a half-dollar.
It's a marker to show the east-to-west center line of Main Street.

Duke Ellington once played the Plaza Gardens.

Louis Armstrong played on the small stage on the middle deck of the Mark Twain for a TV special. So did Julian Lennon, for another TV special.

From The Plaza, Frontierland is to the west, and Tomorrowland is to the east, where each new day begins.

There's a start.

--t

tom522
09-22-2005, 10:37 PM
At nighttime look at the upper corner window of the haunted mansion and you will see a candle float by.

Another Dimension
09-22-2005, 10:39 PM
The land of the Mouse, is very populated by cats.

Some of them have cloaking devices, some of them just forget sometimes, and some of them just don't care if a Mouse runs the place or not.

Clotho
09-22-2005, 10:57 PM
[list] Just inside the Castle there is a round survey marker, flush with the floor, about the size of a half-dollar.
It's a marker to show the east-to-west center line of Main Street.
--t

Actually, that marker USED to be the CENTER of Disneyland. When the land was furst surveryed, and they laid out the lands, that was dead center. Of course, it isn't any longer...

And as for the basketball court:

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/500/5906DL_M_basketballcourt.jpg

EchoThree76
09-22-2005, 11:30 PM

Here is living proof. Click on the button for the pic.
http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/matterho.asp#add
This site has a lot of interesting 'facts'

The Fairest Beauty
09-22-2005, 11:35 PM
At nighttime look at the upper corner window of the haunted mansion and you will see a candle float by.

Scary! :eek:

WITron
09-22-2005, 11:47 PM
When the Small World clock strikes the quarter hour there are 24 dolls in various costumes of the world, one for each hour.

disneyhound
09-23-2005, 04:50 AM
Can you say "Goat Trick"

geoffa
09-23-2005, 04:51 AM
Percentage of Americans who have visited Disneyland/Disney World: 70%

Whittibo
09-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Percentage of Americans who have visited Disneyland/Disney World: 70%

WOW. That's impressive! I wouldn't have thought it was that high!? :confused:

stan4d_steph
09-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Got some time to kill? See this old thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=1136).

garrett240
09-23-2005, 06:35 AM
I've been up in the basketball court in the top of the Matterhorn. In the picture above, you see the red beams near the ceiling? The mountains climbers must have also climbed those during their breaks. Many of them of signed their names and dates on the ceiling. The best one I saw was somebody wrote in big black letters "On [date] So and so (I forget the name) was a wimp and did not climb the mountain."

Also, from the breakroom (where the court is) there is a small tunnel (cave opening?) that leads to the side of Matterhorn. It's right above the Alice in Wonderland ride and about midway up the mountain. It's above the highest tracks for Matterhorn ride. They used to (maybe still do?) have "mountain climbers" climb the Matterhorn. The cave openning was where they started from. It's is hidden from the ground but I've been in it and looked out at night. (ok..was like 2 am, but it was awesome.)

tod
09-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Actually, that marker USED to be the CENTER of Disneyland. When the land was furst surveryed, and they laid out the lands, that was dead center. Of course, it isn't any longer...

I've heard that that isn't true, that it was never the direct center of the rounded-triangle layout of the original Disneyland.

Rather than get into that, I stuch with an undisputed fact: The marker shows the middle line of Main Street.

--t

ILoveChurros
09-23-2005, 08:01 AM
The lamp in Walt's office above the fire station on Main st. is always kept lit in Walt's memory.

smd4
09-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Tod is correct.

This isn't something that you just have to accept. You can see for yourself.

Just get an overhead photo of the park from altitude. Draw a vertical line through the park (right down Main Street). Then, measure the distance of that line from the top border (railroad track behind Fantasyland), to the bottom border (track in front of Main Street Station). Then, divide that line exactly in half. That point will be the center line of the park.

Guess what? It doesn't bisect the marker in the castle courtyard.

But it will bisect the Hub.

The Fairest Beauty
09-23-2005, 09:22 AM
OOh! I know a few secrets! Lol, ok maybe their not very big secrets but I didn't know it until now lol. Anyways my chorus got to go to Disneyland for Magic Music Days and well we went through the door at the back of Toon Town. The mountains of Toon Town are not all together. There are several different sections of it. Also the building we were in had this metal canopy to protect it from the fireworks that landed on it. We weren't allowed to take pictures back stage though. :( And then there was this huge tunnel we got to walk through to get to the stage area. It was crazy getting to go through all the back doors of Disneyland! I don't think it killed the magic for Dl at all. It upped it's mystery meter for me! :D

TowerofTerror
09-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Disneyland is a crook business

going2disneyAZ
09-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Disneyland is a crook business

I think a bit more explanation is in order.

TowerofTerror
09-23-2005, 09:57 AM
they have their own insider business that we dont know about

sriggins
09-23-2005, 10:07 AM
There are three sailing ships in Disneyland. The Columbia, the Mark Twain and the Ghost Ship.

The latter can be seen from Frontierland, looking at New Orleans Square, up and behind the land, you'll see masts with tattered sails.