PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou... kids ok?

Kimlk32
09-22-2005, 03:53 PM
I was wondering if the Blue Bayou is a good place to go with children. I have a five and eight year old. Should we take the kids or try another place? My husband and I would love to go but were just not sure if its a kid friendly place.

SCUBAbe
09-22-2005, 03:54 PM
as long as they aren't screaming...j/k....when my daughter was young 5-7 she would get bored in the blue bayou. The service used to be really, really, slow and bad, but the last two times we ate there it was nice. Of course we now go when it first opens and not when it's slammed busy...:)

Kimlk32
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
as long as they aren't screaming...j/k....when my daughter was young 5-7 she would get bored in the blue bayou. The service used to be really, really, slow and bad, but the last two times we ate there it was nice. Of course we now go when it first opens and not when it's slammed busy...:)

They are pretty good kids, but I was concerned that they might get bored. I don't see how that possible because the atmosphere is so wonderful.

DianeM
09-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Very kid friendly. They have a special menu for kids, with jello dessert included. My 6 yo nephew had a wonderful time there. Of course, if your kids aren't comfortable sitting at restaurants, then it would be a better idea to go elsewhere, but I saw a lot of kids eating there, and they seemed happy.

I was wondering if the Blue Bayou is a good place to go with children. I have a five and eight year old. Should we take the kids or try another place? My husband and I would love to go but were just not sure if its a kid friendly place.

SCUBAbe
09-22-2005, 04:13 PM
They are pretty good kids, but I was concerned that they might get bored. I don't see how that possible because the atmosphere is so wonderful.

yeah, my daughter has been eatign out since she was an infant. She's very well behaved in a restuarant, but when we ar in there for about 2 hours and she knows shes at DL...well, the decor didn't interest her for that long...LOL...her chicken strips were also to spicey for her to eat. So, she had to sit there doign basically nothing for the entire time. After we ate we had to take her to get food elsewhere. What they served spicey chicken strips to a child is beyond me. It was not the best experience. the next time was just as bad....we didn't go back for about 8 years...LOL...like I said we now go at opening and the service was better.

Rhiannon8404
09-22-2005, 04:24 PM
My 7 year old son loves the Blue Bayou. It's been his favorite place to eat at DL since his first visit at 4 yrs old. But then this is the child who would rather go to a sit down restaurant vs. McDonalds on any given day.

We go almost exclusively for the first lunch time seating. We get a waterside table. Since it's first seating we get excellent, timely service. The kitchen hasn't fallen behind yet, etc.

jazzysmom
09-22-2005, 04:53 PM
My 7 year old son loves the Blue Bayou. It's been his favorite place to eat at DL since his first visit at 4 yrs old. But then this is the child who would rather go to a sit down restaurant vs. McDonalds on any given day.

We should do a pre-arranged marriage...My 6 year old is EXACTLY the same way. Since she was 2...her input was always, "Outback, Olive Garden or Chili's."

I think your kids will do fine at Blue Bayou! Enjoy it, it is SO wonderful.

PsychDoc
09-22-2005, 05:26 PM
My 12 and 2 (almost 3) year olds love BB. We try to get a "water" table and that keeps the younger one entertained. They both love the food; especially the Mickey jello. One time, I went with just the two kids alone. Not a good idea. Sam was 1 and not very cooperative.

twist1980
09-22-2005, 06:19 PM
One of my first memories as a child are of eating at the Blue Bayou. It's actually the first place I ever had calamari (I don't think they told me what it was until after I ate it). I was just in awe of the surroundings and I loved watching the boats full of people sail by.

They used to give kids paper pirate hats also, but that was 20 years ago, so I don't know if they do that anymore. But it is a great experience for kids.

SCUBAbe
09-22-2005, 06:30 PM
They used to give kids paper pirate hats also, but that was 20 years ago, so I don't know if they do that anymore. But it is a great experience for kids.

they still do. The kids menu is on it. :)

jrsharp21
09-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Get the mini corn dogs for the kids! I love them! I always try to sneak a couple from my daughters plate! :D

mbrady
09-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Request a table near the water and they can watch the POTC boats drift by. I'm in my 30's and I still enjoy that myself!

Rhiannon8404
09-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Get the mini corn dogs for the kids! I love them! I always try to sneak a couple from my daughters plate! :D
That's my son's favorite. They are yummy.

WITron
09-22-2005, 09:48 PM
We will be taking our daughters with us when we have lunch there in Dec. One thing that we are making sure is to eat early, so it is not as crowded.

Now here is my question. Do they have booster seats and high chairs?

Rhiannon8404
09-22-2005, 10:26 PM
We will be taking our daughters with us when we have lunch there in Dec. One thing that we are making sure is to eat early, so it is not as crowded.

Now here is my question. Do they have booster seats and high chairs?

Yes, they have both.

AlbertaMinnie
09-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Go for it! My kids feel really special eating there. Get a table by the water so that they may watch the boats loading etc. Explain to them that it's not a character meal, and they can't dance around, but it's still Disneyland and it will be great!

stinkerbell
09-23-2005, 12:05 PM
My kids, 10, 7, and 4 loooove Blue Bayou. It's their favorite lunch spot. We go on Pirates right before our reservation to build the anticipation, get a table by the water, then go on again right after our lunch....it's a relaxing way for all that food to settle in.

Our meal there is always an event meal. They love it and so do we!

adriennek
09-23-2005, 12:09 PM
My oldest son is usually happy as long as there are kids meals and kids cups. But I've found I can buy a lot of cooperation by keeping a little snack-size or sandwich size ziplock baggie of crayons with me at all times ;) I don't know if BB has crayons but I keep a stash in my diaper bag and purse for just such occasions.

Adrienne

hbquikcomjamesl
09-23-2005, 01:07 PM
But then this is the child who would rather go to a sit down restaurant vs. McDonalds on any given day.
...My 6 year old is EXACTLY the same way. Since she was 2...her input was always, "Outback, Olive Garden or Chili's."For me, when I was really young, it was an establishment somewhere in Los Angeles County, called "Nibblers." Or occasionally Hof's Hut, or when I was older, Bob's Big Boy. We didn't do much fast food when I was little, although I do vaguely remember an establishment called "Burger Chef."

SCUBAbe
09-23-2005, 04:49 PM
For me, when I was really young, it was an establishment somewhere in Los Angeles County, called "Nibblers." Or occasionally Hof's Hut, or when I was older, Bob's Big Boy. We didn't do much fast food when I was little, although I do vaguely remember an establishment called "Burger Chef."

yeah, I never bori=ught ny child to eat inside a fast food place. If anythign it was drive through, but more often than not we would just go to a sit down restaurant. She learned at any early age what was expected of her when we at out. She was fine for normal meal times (an hour to an hour in a half), but when it got up to 2 or 3 hours she would get a bit antsy. This was when she was 2 to 4 years old. By the time she hit 5 she could handle more...LOL

ToursbabeC3po
09-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Not my kids!!!! LOL Everyone would be asking for a refund in the joint!!!!
Toursbabe!

Mark Goldhaber
09-23-2005, 07:27 PM
But I've found I can buy a lot of cooperation by keeping a little snack-size or sandwich size ziplock baggie of crayons with me at all times ;)
Doesn't everybody do that? ;) (That night at Storytellers' was an exception, which I attribute to jet lag.) :) We actually have a hard plastic case of 16 crayons that we take with us that prevents the crayons from breaking or getting smooshed when it's hot.

SCUBAbe
09-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Doesn't everybody do that? ;) (That night at Storytellers' was an exception, which I attribute to jet lag.) :) We actually have a hard plastic case of 16 crayons that we take with us that prevents the crayons from breaking or getting smooshed when it's hot.

no, I never did that....she could play witht hem if the restuarant had them, but they were left in the restaurant....I learned that the hard way when she left them in the car and they melted everywhere....I should have looked in the door handle...my bad.

PsychDoc
09-24-2005, 07:59 AM
My kids, 10, 7, and 4 loooove Blue Bayou. It's their favorite lunch spot. We go on Pirates right before our reservation to build the anticipation, get a table by the water, then go on again right after our lunch....it's a relaxing way for all that food to settle in.

Our meal there is always an event meal. They love it and so do we!
We do the same thing! If we're really early then we sneak in a train ride before the pirates (during the slower season).