PDA

View Full Version : The new Matterhorn

Pages : [1] 2

Mickey
09-22-2005, 03:16 PM
What would you add to the Matterhorn?
Leaving behind the posts that say :" Leave it as it is" ,the Matterhorn has been standing as an icon for the Disneyland/Anaheim area for many years.

If you were an Imagineer, what would you refurbish so the Matterhorn can be an exciting let's say coaster in the year 2010?
Drops?
Músic?
More Lighting Effects?
Faster?

Thanks!

itig
09-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Smooother...that thing beats you to death!

Niwel
09-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Better padding for my knees -- ouch!

DianeM
09-22-2005, 04:10 PM
I'd take out the Sasquatch. I don't like things that "jump" out at me, and I don't think they made the ride more interesting when they put them in. I've always enjoyed the speed and the views of the park as I sped through openings. My nephew loved Thunder Mountain, but he got scared on the Matterhorn because of the Abominable Snowman. What is it doing on there? It isn't even a Disney character!

What would you add to the Matterhorn?
Leaving behind the posts that say :" Leave it as it is" ,the Matterhorn has been standing as an icon for the Disneyland/Anaheim area for many years.

If you were an Imagineer, what would you refurbish so the Matterhorn can be an exciting let's say coaster in the year 2010?
Drops?
Músic?
More Lighting Effects?
Faster?

Thanks!

garrett240
09-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I'd take out the Sasquatch. I don't like things that "jump" out at me, and I don't think they made the ride more interesting when they put them in. I've always enjoyed the speed and the views of the park as I sped through openings. My nephew loved Thunder Mountain, but he got scared on the Matterhorn because of the Abominable Snowman. What is it doing on there? It isn't even a Disney character!

I agree, the Sasaquatch scared my DD. She was 6 at the time. She said she won't go on it this time.

Donald Duck Fan68
09-22-2005, 04:20 PM
It would be cool if they could create those magentic tracks, the kind where the vehicle floats on a magentic field and then is propeled along at a much smoother rate. This would really make the ride smooth and give it that sense that you really were sleding down the mountain.

Clotho
09-22-2005, 04:22 PM
The abominable snowman was the scariest part for me...and the best. I had to cover my eyes for years to try not to see him. Ah...those are fond memories! I liked haunted houses as a kid, too. Some amount of being scared should be fun!

I would say smoother. The last two times I was there, it was shut down for refurb. I was kinda hoping that the latest refurb was to make it a smoother ride for the 50th. Is the other vote for "smoother" above a confirmation that it is NOTin fact improved this year?

mckygirl99
09-22-2005, 05:40 PM
I agree, the Sasaquatch scared my DD. She was 6 at the time. She said she won't go on it this time.

I told my daughter is was the Abominable Snowman from Monsters Inc. and that he was friendly b/c he helped Mike and Sulley and gave them snow cones. That was the only way to get her on the ride!

I do agree with rough ride, especially with a little one riding with you!

stan4d_steph
09-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Awww. Poor Harold.

I would bring back the old safety spiel. That was an icon, and now they've mucked it up because people are stooopid.

truesally
09-22-2005, 06:53 PM
I told my daughter is was the Abominable Snowman from Monsters Inc. and that he was friendly b/c he helped Mike and Sulley and gave them snow cones. That was the only way to get her on the ride!
Aren't you smart! I made the fatal mistake of telling my son (then 5yo) about only one yeti (have there always been 3??) and I didn't think to make him a fun guy...The entire line heard this as we exited the ride: "I HATED IT! IT WAS HORRIBLE! I HATED THAT RIDE!" :( Needless to say, that was that - he's almost 7, we're going back in November, but there is no talking him into the Matterhorn. Even though he knows to expect 3 yetis this time! *sigh*

sleepyjeff
09-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Remember Universal Studios Avalanche tunnel........something like that on the lift hill would make my day:)

stan4d_steph
09-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Remember Universal Studios Avalanche tunnel........something like that on the lift hill would make my day:)Ooooh. That always made me a little dizzy. That would be cool!

HorizonsA
09-22-2005, 07:10 PM
I would love for the tunnels to be darker and maybe mist-driven. You are, after all, going down a Swiss mountain, covered in snow. It would be great if every tunnel, especially the ones that have the Abominable Snowman in it, had mist in it, creating a don't-know-what-we're-getting-into feeling.

kinglouie1967
09-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Add hundreds more yetis and have them sing some syrupy sweet song over and over and over in different languages..."it's a yeti world, after all..." That'd be fun! :)

animagusurreal
09-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I would update the abominable snowman. All he can do is "Rawr!" as you fly past him. And "Rawr!" again. And again. And again. He's just kind of a spook-house scare. I don't know what else a yeti would do (throw snowballs at your bobsled?) but surely someone with better knowledge of the yeti legend could make something of it, maybe add a little story. Are we supposed to be looking for the yeti? Are we supposed to be a bobsled team that got stranded on the matterhorn and ran across the yeti? (This could bring in the "Cool Runnings" overlay I mentioned in my "Overlay Parody" thread :p )

Or else they could remove him and just make it more of a non-story, we're- just-going-down-the-mountain-ride.

The queue theming could do with a bit of beefing up, too. The main bulding is okay, but I think there could be something set up to "entertain" the long lines that often wind out of the building and around the mountain - I don't know what exactly, though.

I kind of think the bumpiness/ricketyness is kind of part of the Matterhorn experience.

(The only coaster that ever left me feeling battered was Revolution at SFMM. They had these pads on the sides of the headrest, and my head banged back and forth against them for that whole ride, smooshing my ears.)

BTW, LOL about the "Yeti World" idea :D

cmputerdazed
09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Is the matterhorn comparable to thunder mountain or is one scarier than the other. Taking my 6 yr old granddaughter and want to know. thanks

olegc
09-22-2005, 08:16 PM
put audio into the vehicles to give you better sound. either pump yodelling, sounds of an avalanche, or sounds form the olympics bobsled runs. Maybe making it much more of an 'olympic" challenge with some sort of photo op at the end..

smoother track, yep.

drops and other track elements would be WAY expensive and not much room in that mountain today.

maybe the avalanche thing with the lift telling the story of a lost expedition and then you see the crystal formation and BOOM! something terrible/excitin/unexpected happens. off you go, down the mountain to escape.

Maybe more snow effects throughout the ride.

I know - have a giant wave of foam be there when you splash down to make you think you ran into the snow bank. would ruin your clothes but hey - it would be fun!

sambo
09-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Is the matterhorn comparable to thunder mountain or is one scarier than the other. Taking my 6 yr old granddaughter and want to know. thanks

IMHO Thunder Mountain can be scarier. Even though it's smoother - it's faster and seems more out of control. The Matterhorn is bumpier - but if you have sledded down a hill in real life - it's not smooth, it's bumpy.

Harrold(s) can be scary because he growls when you least expect it as you pass by. It is a different form of scary than BTM.

DCACM
09-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Some things I would do:

1. make it smoother
2. re-do the peak to resemble the real thing
3. add some smoke machines/misters to upper areas to give cloud fx (ever see the original, always obscured by clouds)
4. utilize the walkway between the mountain and sub lagoon for a new themed queue, maybe an alpine forest, ice cavern, whatever.
5. lederhosen
6. "ricola" horn blowers
7. just for fun re-animate Harold to yodel instead of roar.

but I think WDI's current plan to theme it to "Cool Runnings" will be well received.

Mark Mywords
09-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Update it with what Disneyland does best - more story!

and if they can't do that, well I'll second that "Yodeling Yeti" idea! :D

Another Dimension
09-22-2005, 10:23 PM
I'd leave Harold as the main Matterhorn resident, but make him, (them), more realistic.

I'd add snow machines here and there thruout the mountain, and more fog machines, in a lot of tunnels.
Improve the 'lighting FX' on the lifthill.
Maybe, add some half eaten, mostly hidden, Sherpa's along the tracks that Harold was snackin'.
Train the CM's to yodel, when they aren't answering questions, giving directions or grouping. Especially when checking heights and belts.
Yodeling.

Hey Matt,
Make it so, git er done.

Another Dimension
09-22-2005, 10:29 PM
I told my daughter is was the Abominable Snowman from Monsters Inc. and that he was friendly b/c he helped Mike and Sulley and gave them snow cones.

That is true, ya know. ;)

I just hope Disney doesn't run with the idea now and change the Matterhorn and alter Harold.

HorizonsA
09-23-2005, 07:32 AM
This could bring in the "Cool Runnings" overlay

NO! No overlays!!!! Matterhorn is as original as original can get. No more movie tie-ins!

It's bad enough that they might put Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean and ruin a totally perfect original attraction.

EmmasMom
09-23-2005, 07:58 AM
put audio into the vehicles to give you better sound.

How about Swisskapolka? You would be listening to the happy, bouncy music and then see the "scary" snowman...

AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

ralfrick
09-23-2005, 08:28 AM
NO! No overlays!!!! Matterhorn is as original as original can get. No more movie tie-ins!

It's bad enough that they might put Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean and ruin a totally perfect original attraction.

Yes don't tie it in with a movie (Unless, of course, you count the 1958 film, Third Man on a Mountain, which focussed on the Matterhorn, which inspired Walt Disney to send the Imagineers a postcard of the Matterhorn in Switzerland with the words "Build this!" as the only message).

Since DL was built to be a real world representation of the products of a film studio, it continually cracks me up to hear people complain about movie tie ins. Well, always good to have a laugh first thing in the morning.

Cheers.