PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Big Thunder Ranch?

garrett240
09-22-2005, 02:40 PM
This was taken from another thread...

one of the older rumors (well, over the last two years) was that BTR would somehow convert to a Woody/Jessie mini-land to help fill out that area, provide some activities in Frontierland for youngers (and their parents) and provide that transition between Frontierland and Fantasyland that is sorely needed (and no, a pay phone and cement separatioin does not count :D )

I was going to ask what happened to the Big Thunder Ranch. They used to have chicken dinners, corn bread. I think at night they would have a fire burning in the fire pit. There also used to be a "Poineer House" or something you could walk in and see. Is that stuff still there. Is it still opened? I thought somebody said something about the petting zoo bing back there again...

09-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Ahhh, the bygone glory of Big Thunder Ranch bbq...

Who else has fond memories?

Gone2Disneyland
09-23-2005, 06:11 AM
Ahhh, the bygone glory of Big Thunder Ranch bbq...

The food. The food. The foooooooood. :fez:

dsnyredhead
09-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Sitting outside next to an open fire...eating prime rib....ah, christmastime at Big Thunder BBQ....BBQ ribs, mmm. Miss it. :(

cstephens
09-23-2005, 02:30 PM

Fond memories and a plastic cup that they sold on closing weekend.

One night, a group of us were there for dinner late in the evening. My husband ordered the apple crisp. They said they were out but were making more, and they'd bring it out to our table when it was ready. After we sat and had been eating for a while, someone came over to tell us they were out of the apple crisps after all and asked if he wanted something else. He said no. They said they'd bring him a refund. Along with the refund, they brought 2 or three of every cooked meat they had on the menu - just a pile of food - including ribs and chicken and even a turkey leg. They said it was to make up for them not having the apple crisp. We also figured that since they were going to close soon, they had a lot of meat left over and were just trying to get rid of it, but we didn't mind. The last member of our party came late, stopping at the table to say she was going to go get her dinner. We told her all she needed was a drink. She asked why. We pointed at the pile of food. She went to get a drink and then sat down to eat.

Mmmmm, we miss Big Thunder BBQ a lot.

evrythngwmn
09-24-2005, 08:19 AM
This was taken from another thread...

I was going to ask what happened to the Big Thunder Ranch. They used to have chicken dinners, corn bread. I think at night they would have a fire burning in the fire pit. There also used to be a "Poineer House" or something you could walk in and see. Is that stuff still there. Is it still opened? I thought somebody said something about the petting zoo bing back there again...

The last day for the petting area is this Sunday 9/25.

JiminyCricket
09-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Big Thunder Ranch was the BEST restaurant at the park for the food. It is sad that bad management now is closing it to put in a TOY themed attraction in Frontierland. WHAT A MISTAKE!!

This is the same brillant thinking that brought us POOH, removed the Peoplemover, and innoventions. They just keep on sucking the magic out of Disneyland.

Darkbeer
09-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Looks like tomorrow is the last day for the "Little Patch of Heaven" petting zoo area, as they will be retheming the area as a Santa workshop for the Holidays.