PDA

View Full Version : Another CM Question [custodial]

garrett240
09-22-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm just really curious about something. I never knew who to ask. But since so many of you know alot about DL, maybe you can tell me...

I worked at DL as a "night-time custodian" (I cleaned the park after it closed) before DCA was built. Back then they had one custodian crew and we worked all over DL. I was a newer guy and I worked in a lot of different areas.

Well, here is my question: Does DCA have their own custodian crew and own security team or is it the same CM's as DL. What I mean, if you were hired at DL as a security guard or custodian, do you only work DL or do you sometimes work DCA?

Does that make sense? I have no idea why I want to know...I've just been wondering.

ToursbabeC3po
09-22-2005, 08:34 AM
I believe that security can go to both parks as well as custodial. I may be wrong but I have seen cast members that work at Disneyland over at DCA in both depts. That can be because they are short or it is in there contract. AS for attractions it is a no no. They are even trying to make it so that attractions cast members can switch back and forth from parks on the new contract which sounds kind of cool but it would put high seniority DCA cast members down at the bottom of the list. SO that was already voted out (from what I have heard)
It is all about the union and contracts and it is all confusing and each department has there own policy and contract.

Disnerd
09-23-2005, 08:26 PM
DCA and Disneyland are on two seperate contracts. Nothing has been voted on yet. Disneyland wants the 3 unions to dissolve their combined bargaining units and combine the two contracts into one each for UFCW, the Teamsters, and the Service Employees Union. Then CMs will be able to go any where in the Resort if they so wish. Current Cast Members will get "Super Seniority at their current locations. For example a 5 year CM at WOD can't lose a shift to a 30 year CM from Disneyland at World of Disney. If an agreement can't be reached we will work without a contract until the Master Agreement at Disneyland comes up in 2006. If anything changes with the benefits package at that time WOD and DCA CMs wont see a change until April of 2007. In order for any of this to happen all 3 unions have to agree to Disneyland's offer. You ever try and get three groups of people to agree on anything? I don't think the 3 unions can do this. There is a DCA / WOD page at the UFCW website at http://www.ufcw324.org click on the DCA negotiations link near the top half of the page for latest news.
I think we are in for a bumpy ride. This may go on for quite sometime and involve the whole park. And it will be the guest who suffer as more CMs quit. Currently our turn over rate is larger than our new hire rate. Meetings were just held this Thursday at the Golden Dreams theatre and they were well attended and the CM's were very vocal. The three unions have seen what has happened to foods and security and they are ready to fight to the bitter end. Disneyland may never be the same. :crying:

ToursbabeC3po
09-23-2005, 10:29 PM
I know several cast members that have been working for Disneyland for years (15 years+) that are quitting. It is so sad :( I agree it is not going to be pretty. I hope the guest service does not continue to be compromised.

toursbabe