PDA

View Full Version : Disney for Xmas

Pages : [1] 2

kcjones
09-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Hello all,

I am not sure if any of you would remember me or not. A little while back you all gave me some wonderful advice about taking my (military) family on a Disney vacation. We were planing on going this summer but after two back to back deployments we have no desire to wait....I will be comming home to Wa. State before the end of the year so we are looking forward to going to Disneyland for Xmas. I am the only in our family of five that has been there before. I have just a few faviors to ask of you wonderful people. First off have any of you done disney for the holidays? if so any advice and help would be greatly appreacieted. Is there anything I may not know about? I think my family and I realy need this and I figured you guys would be my best source for information to help me make this as special as possable.

thanks in advance.

stan4d_steph
09-22-2005, 06:37 AM
What are the dates you're looking to go? Going before Christmas is best, as the crowds from Christmas to New Year's are huge. If you're flexible on time and just want the Christmas atmosphere with thinner crowds, look to go some other time in December. All the decorations will be up, and the holiday entertainment will be in full swing after Thanksgiving.

kcjones
09-22-2005, 06:47 AM
just one more reason i love this board. You guys are always so fast at replies.
I do not know when exactly we are getting home from Iraq but they say we will be back end of November - early decemberish...I will have 30 days off so we are looking to spend a full week in southern Calif. I am realy thinking it would be better if we were there actualy on christmas day...but if the crowds are so bad it will make it hard to enjoy it then maybe we should re-think. I have heard something about a disney christmas party/dinner is this only on christmas day? or other days in December too? How do you get in?
I am sure the answers to all my questions are on this site and I promise I am looking....just so much to know....and so little time to learn.

again thank you.

garrett240
09-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Seven years ago, my wife and I went to DL on New Years Eve. The place was PACKED!!!

I don't remember being there when it was so crowded before. The day time wasn't so bad, but at night.... The mall area in front of Small World was totally nuts. It was wall to wall people.

My wife and I were getting tired and had a full day at DL. It was hard to have fun the later it got. We left the park at about 11 pm. I could not believe the size of the line of people waiting to get in. The park was packed and still more people trying to get in!

My family usually now go in Nov or early Dec. All the Christmas lights are up. The characters have their "winter outfits" on. They have evening firework shows, ect..

This year we are going in Oct. I don't know if my kids have been to DL when it didn't have Christmas stuff up. This might be their first time. :D

stan4d_steph
09-22-2005, 07:08 AM
There are several restaurants at the resort that have special Christmas dinners. I would suggest calling the Disney dining line (714.781.DINE) and asking when they will begin taking Priority Seating reservations. The special meals at the Disney locations typically fill up quickly, so it's best to reserve a spot as far ahead as possible.

If you want to be there on Christmas, it's probably best to make that your last day, or next to last day. Crowds on and after Christmas are much worse than those leading up to it, although I would expect that Dec. 24 might also be crowded since Dec. 25 falls on a Sunday this year.

kcjones
09-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Awesome, awesome and awesome...you guys never let me down. I promise when ever we go I will give a full report :)

garrett240
09-22-2005, 07:38 AM
I forgot to add, KC:

Thank you for your service to all of us!

Remember, while in Iraq to "Duck and weave..duck and weave."

Really, be careful and thanks for all you do.

pisces
09-22-2005, 08:22 AM
This could be a once-in-a-lifetime, New Years Eve to remember, for you. You might want to do NYE at Disney, just once in your life.

The crowds never materialized last year at New Years Eve, although that was a strange time. I would think that was a once-in-a-lifetime thing. It will never rain like that again.

Or will it?

Nevertheless, I think NYE is do-able with planning. You have to plan to stay in one area, and remain there, which is easy for me, as I like to sit perched, anyway.

Christmas Day, and NYE are the two times, where you probably cannot wander and meander around. All other days, you might be able to wander here and there, during that week, at least in the early mornings and towards the evenings.

But, if you are going to be there on exact NYE, you'll want to look at the schedule, and choose one area where you'll remain. It's too crowded to be out wandering. Maybe your area is Rivers of America, where you'll just remain the whole evening....as they've usually got continuous Fantasmic shows, and back to back entertainment on the River, that whole evening.....no reason to leave, or way since everything is wall-to-wall. If you set up chairs, or blankets at the railing......you're set for the whole evening, assuming you don't get rained out, like last year.... :( . Lightening doesn't strike twice, or actually three times, as it rained in 2003 NYE, too!!! It can't happen again, this NYE, right?

Or, maybe your area is the Boogie Swing Party, over near the hub (I don't know if they'll have that this year. And, you just sit perched, there and watch the entertainment the whole evening long.

If you can remain, and like to sit perched......the actual day of Christmas, and NYE are for you.

itig
09-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Christmas is our favorite time to hit the park, but we go in early December to avoid the crowds. You'll have to make that call based on your groups tolerace for the masses :)

Don't miss the Haunted Mansion with the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. It's great. My family loves the Small World Christmas overlay, but I don't know if you will have any kids with you or of they would like this type of ride. Even if you don't go on the ride, make a point to walk by it at night to see it all lit up -- it's very nice.

And most importantly...thank you very much for your service to our country! Your efforts and sacrifice are greatly appreciated!

Nancy
09-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Hello all,

I am the only in our family of five that has been there before. I have just a few faviors to ask of you wonderful people. First off have any of you done disney for the holidays? if so any advice and help would be greatly appreacieted.

thanks in advance.

Have fun and take tons of pictures, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that!!

potcfan
09-22-2005, 09:17 AM
We were there from December 19 thru 24 last year, although busy the crowds were not unbearable. The atmosphere was wonderful, it was so festive. Unfortunately my DD has finals and doesn't get out of high school until Dec 21 this year. :(

sierranevada
09-22-2005, 09:52 AM
First of all, I would also like to add my thanks for all you are doing for our country! As many have said, please be safe!

As far as Christmas, we always go the last week that school is in session to avoid the crowds - this year 12/11 - 12/17. It is a great time - the park is beautifully decorated and all the holiday entertainment is running but the crowds are very light during the week. I have heard, however, that many people love waking up at Disneyland on Christmas! They have little decorated trees that you can order delivered to your room (if you are staying on property). No matter which time you choose, Christmas at Disneyland is magically! We did the Holiday Tour which was awesome, my son got his picture taken with Santa at the GCH, decorated Christmas cookies at the fire station, we were at both Main Street for the daily lighting of the Christmas tree and by IASW when they turn on the lights, LOVED the snow after the fireworks, HHM is my family's favorite, shopping for Mickey christmas ornaments... boy, I can't wait to be back there in December again!

Malcon10t
09-22-2005, 10:08 AM
just one more reason i love this board. You guys are always so fast at replies.
I do not know when exactly we are getting home from Iraq but they say we will be back end of November - early decemberish...I will have 30 days off so we are looking to spend a full week in southern Calif. I am realy thinking it would be better if we were there actualy on christmas day...but if the crowds are so bad it will make it hard to enjoy it then maybe we should re-think. I have heard something about a disney christmas party/dinner is this only on christmas day? or other days in December too? How do you get in?
I am sure the answers to all my questions are on this site and I promise I am looking....just so much to know....and so little time to learn.

again thank you.
Hi KC! And Thanks from our family too! Just to let you know, we do Christmas at the Park every year. We arrive Christmas Eve and stay til Jan 2 or 3rd. New Years Eve is usually PACKed, capacity crowds, but it is a BLAST. We have been doing this since 1997. Christmas Day is a quiet day for us, we usually go to the park and somewhere for a brunch (Goofy's usually.) If you go expecting crowds, and just go at a relaxed pace, you will have fun.

Malcon10t
09-22-2005, 10:12 AM
This could be a once-in-a-lifetime, New Years Eve to remember, for you. You might want to do NYE at Disney, just once in your life.NYE is a blast. All the previous years, we picked a spot early on Main Street (right in front of the castle) and just hung out and watched everything going on. Last year, we did the last Holiday tour of the night, then Fantasmic seating. It was a blast!!! They sat us at 1130, so we had dessert right up til Midnight, our own party going on, then we watched Fantasmic just after midnight. Best year so far!

stan4d_steph
09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
I would advise against doing both Christmas and New Year's. This would involve being at the resort for all the days in between when crowds are at their peak. If you are flexible, it's best to pick one or the other. Otherwise, you're fighting the crowds the whole time, which can be stressful.

kcjones
09-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I am just confused lol now I am thinking about adding a couple days to our trip maybe be there for both holidays. Eather way, we plan to take our time. Take lots of breaks and just have fun. We have 3 children, 7yr boy, 3yr grl, and 1yr old boy. (the parenting in the park section of MP is looking like it may be a godsned) So I do not want to make time a factor....NO RUSHING! I just want this to be relaxing and special. For the last 7yrs we have done nothing for christmas and new years, I have not even been home for holidays most years. Thanks for all your wonderful comments about my service but I feel that the big thanks should go to my family. It is honestly harder to be a military family member than it is a military service member. Oh and feel free to congratulate me, I just re-enlisted for another 6 yrs today! Well thanks again for all the awesome input. I welcome any opinion, advice or information you guys are willing to share with me.

itig
09-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh and feel free to congratulate me, I just re-enlisted for another 6 yrs today! Well thanks again for all the awesome input. I welcome any opinion, advice or information you guys are willing to share with me.

Congratulations on your re-enlistment!!!

Taking your time at the parks is the best thing to do if you can. I have two boys - 4 and 2 years old. You'll find a whole new side of the park when going with kiddies :) Here are the boys favorites:

Casey Jr. Train
it's a small world
Peter Pan
Carousel
Dumbo
Winnie the Pooh
Teacups (for the 4 year old)
Gadget Go Coaster (4 year old)
Mickey and Minnie in Toontown (you can wait in line for your own special few minutes with the famous mice)
Main Street transportation - The double-decker bus, horse drawn trolley, etc..
Disneyland Railroad - My son was a bit afraid of the dinosaurs section, but he does it now.
Autopia
Tarzan tree - A fun thing to do, but there is a "shock" moment with the cheetah in the tree unless you're ready for it.

Note: Except for Peter Pan, we avoid the other dark rides due to the loud noises and the darkness. Your kids might love them, but my kids didn't.

We also find that the shows,parades and such are good for the little ones..

Alladin at California Adventure
Fireworks (can be loud, but my kids love it) - I haven't seen the new one yet
Parade - haven't seen the new one yet, but looks great from what I've seen adn read here.

Note: I think "It's Tough to Be a Bug" in DCA is too scary for small children. Noisy and a lot going on that involves spiders and such. Again, might be fine for yours, but we walked out.

...all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more :)

leotatoombs
09-22-2005, 02:46 PM
It's easy to get rushed! I have to keep reminding myself not to. it's important not to get rushed! I recall 3 years ago waiting for the Xmas parade, a boy crying & excaiming "Mommy I'm Not Having fun anymore!!!" because she was in such a rush to get through the crowd waiting for parade to the It's a small world holiday line. Too much confusion for him. But I love Christmas at Dland & still go every year just after Xmas! You just have to avoid those having a bad day & dissing Dland. :D

Malcon10t
09-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I am just confused lol now I am thinking about adding a couple days to our trip maybe be there for both holidays. Eather way, we plan to take our time. Take lots of breaks and just have fun. We have 3 children, 7yr boy, 3yr grl, and 1yr old boy. (the parenting in the park section of MP is looking like it may be a godsned) So I do not want to make time a factor....NO RUSHING! I just want this to be relaxing and special. For the last 7yrs we have done nothing for christmas and new years, I have not even been home for holidays most years. Thanks for all your wonderful comments about my service but I feel that the big thanks should go to my family. It is honestly harder to be a military family member than it is a military service member. Oh and feel free to congratulate me, I just re-enlisted for another 6 yrs today! Well thanks again for all the awesome input. I welcome any opinion, advice or information you guys are willing to share with me.I love that week. Yes, it is crowded. But if you go with the idea of ignoring the crowds and relaxing, going a couple hours in the AM, taking naps, going to DCA, and taking time to just watch a parade, it is fun. One reminder, pack rain ponchos. You can pick them up at a WalMart for $1.50, instead of $6 at the park. If/when it rains, toss on a poncho and keep going. Crowds will leave, and it will just be those of us who enjoy Disneyland in the rain!!

itig
09-22-2005, 02:56 PM
I love that week. Yes, it is crowded. But if you go with the idea of ignoring the crowds and relaxing, going a couple hours in the AM, taking naps, going to DCA, and taking time to just watch a parade, it is fun. One reminder, pack rain ponchos. You can pick them up at a WalMart for $1.50, instead of $6 at the park. If/when it rains, toss on a poncho and keep going. Crowds will leave, and it will just be those of us who enjoy Disneyland in the rain!!

I LOVE the park in the rain -- my wife and I had the best time on one of our trips. The place was nearly deserted and what a blast we had! ...then again, it's not quite as fun with babies in tow with the whole stoller and goods, but we've done that too.

kcjones
09-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I love the rain but I do think ponchos would be very smart! In a way I am sort of hoping that it will rain a little at least one day we are there. I am stationed at Ft. Lewis Washington, near Seattle so my wife and kids are used to dealing with a little rain ;)

DianeM
09-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I went to DL right after christmas one year, and it was the worst crowding I've ever seen. The first day, they closed the parking lot by 9:00, when we arrived. We decided to skip that day. The next day we braved the park, but we literally couldn't walk in New Orleans Square. It looked like the floor of a rock concert. It was a miserable experience, and I haven't gone back to DL during a busy season since then. It's so worth going "off season", even if you miss a show or two. You just have to wait til the kids are back in school, then pull yours out (if necessary) for a day or two. You'll be amazed how much you can do on a weekday off-season. Their first experience will be much richer than it would be if you had to fight the crowds and the lines. Enjoy. :-)

Hello all,

I am not sure if any of you would remember me or not. A little while back you all gave me some wonderful advice about taking my (military) family on a Disney vacation. We were planing on going this summer but after two back to back deployments we have no desire to wait....I will be comming home to Wa. State before the end of the year so we are looking forward to going to Disneyland for Xmas. I am the only in our family of five that has been there before. I have just a few faviors to ask of you wonderful people. First off have any of you done disney for the holidays? if so any advice and help would be greatly appreacieted. Is there anything I may not know about? I think my family and I realy need this and I figured you guys would be my best source for information to help me make this as special as possable.

thanks in advance.

pisces
09-22-2005, 06:03 PM
I would advise against doing both Christmas and New Year's. This would involve being at the resort for all the days in between when crowds are at their peak. If you are flexible, it's best to pick one or the other. Otherwise, you're fighting the crowds the whole time, which can be stressful.

I think it's do-able, provided you get to the Main Gate right when they open at 8:00 am. You've got a solid two hours before, even during peak periods, the crowds become too much. The next 5 hours you can spend at DCA/rest/meal breaks...(I don't think DCA has ever been closed for capacity). You then have the rest of the evening to do nothing but scout out your seating for the parades and/or Fantasmic, and just plant yourself there for the remainder. From 11-12 Midnight, many rides should be manageable, or walk-on

Hint: If you are willing to miss Fantasmic at the 10:30 showing......many of the rides near there (Haunted mansion, Pirates etc) are walk-on during that half hour.

Peak periods are do-able. You just have to use a bit of finesse and know when the crowds will be where, and act accordingly to bypass 'em.

Malcon10t
09-22-2005, 06:05 PM
I think it's do-able, provided you get to the Main Gate right when they open at 8:00 am. You've got a solid two hours before, even during peak periods, the crowds become too much. The next 5 hours you can spend at DCA/rest/meal breaks...(I don't think DCA has ever been closed for capacity). You then have the rest of the evening to do nothing but scout out your seating for the parades and/or Fantasmic, and just plant yourself there for the remainder. From 11-12 Midnight, many rides should be manageable, or walk-on

Hint: If you are willing to miss Fantasmic at the 10:30 showing......many of the rides near there (Haunted mansion, Pirates etc) are walk-on during that half hour.

Peak periods are do-able. You just have to use a bit of finesse and know when the crowds will be where, and act accordingly to bypass 'em.Also, NYE they do a midnight showing of Fantasmic! and the park is open til 2am.

pisces
09-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Also, NYE they do a midnight showing of Fantasmic! and the park is open til 2am.

Oh, everything's walk-on at midnight NYE. It will be interesting to see if, even Space Mountain is walk-on, when everyone else is watching the countdown!