PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou tips

Pages : [1] 2

Mickey
09-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Any Tips For The Blue?
I Think Ill Eat There Saturday Never Been In Cause To Much People...have To Make Reservations?
Long Time Wait?

Any Sugestions?thank You! :d

Mousetrap
09-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Always make reservations esspecially weekends. Cajun tri tip is great, clam chowders awesome, lamb and apples is very good. Actually Ive tried all the entrees and the only one thats not the greatest is the crab cakes, I expected better. Oooooo If you like calamari get it as an Appetizer, sooo good my mouth is watering. If its your first time right when you check in which should be like 10 min before your reservation time ask for a water table. It can take from 15 to 45 min wait depending on how busy it is but well worth it. Desserts are awesome as well. My girlfriend and I split the entree and get an apetizer and an extra clam chowder just so we can save room. :D

Donald Duck Fan68
09-22-2005, 12:03 AM
The monte cristo is a popular item and I would have to admit, it is one of the best monte cristo's I've had the pleasure of eating.

Arrive early for your reservation and try to get a water table if you don't mind the wait.

geoffa
09-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Any Tips For The Blue?
I Think Ill Eat There Saturday Never Been In Cause To Much People...have To Make Reservations?
Long Time Wait?

Birbaum's guide says that this is the ONLY place in Disneyland where you need to make a reservation on the day you need to dine. Go straight to the restaurant on park opening and make this. (Although I always thought you could do this either via City Hall or at the Concierge desk at your hotel if staying on property but that may just be over at WDW) They claim they keep some tables free for walk ins but we've never found that. Busiest periods are noon to 2p.m. and 5p.m. until 9p.m. Gratuities are automatically added at some restaurants - check before you tip. DO plump for a water table. You can watch the boats go by on the POTC ride and watch and hear the glow flies and cicadas - really atmospheric. Note - you'll need at least an hour to dine 3 courses. For sample menu see: www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/menus/dl/bluebayou.shtml

geoffa :fez:

Kamikaze666k
09-22-2005, 12:53 AM
If you go in a group of 2 or 3 it is pretty easy to get a walk in table. The most I've had to wait is less than 10 minutes.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-22-2005, 01:13 AM
Get a seat by the water...as far from the waiter stations as possible.
The monte cristo is excellent! I never had one prior to last May, and I am hooked! (Can't wait to have one in 2 weeks!) I'd get there early for a reservation in the afternoon. I personally like the lunch menu better than dinner and it's a LOT more affordable!

Enjoy!!!! :D

Stupid_American
09-22-2005, 05:25 AM
If you go in a group of 2 or 3 it is pretty easy to get a walk in table.
The most I've had to wait is less than 10 minutes.
You ought to take up the ponies.

For reservations, you used to have to walk to the restaurant, first thing in the morning, but I hear that you can now call in advance, (714) 781-DINE.

minniemom
09-22-2005, 05:30 AM
If you go in a group of 2 or 3 it is pretty easy to get a walk in table. The most I've had to wait is less than 10 minutes.

I would have to disagree. My husband and I tried "just walking up" to get a table and had to wait 45 mins to an hour.

tlovesdis
09-22-2005, 06:18 AM
You can make ressies about 60 days ahead of time by calling Disney Dining.

My favorite things there are the crab cakes and the pork loin! YUM!

jrsharp21
09-22-2005, 06:44 AM
I have found that if you make reservations for lunch and are the first time slot (11:30am I think) you usually can ask for a water table and get it right away. Everytime I have had lunch at 11:30 I have always been seated at a water table.

Dom262
09-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Call ahead and makeyour reservations. We usually go for a late lunch and have the Monte Cristo. If you walk away hungary it is your own fault.

You can if you like also order the Monte Cristo to go.

Disney Dine Phone number:
(714) 781-DINE

SarahShep
09-22-2005, 08:18 AM
I have found that if you make reservations for lunch and are the first time slot (11:30am I think) you usually can ask for a water table and get it right away. Everytime I have had lunch at 11:30 I have always been seated at a water table.

Ooo...that's a GREAT tip.

We're planning to go to the Blue Bayou for the first time in early January for my birthday. I've always, always, always wanted to eat there but never had the time or was with too many family members to be able to.

That will be nice for us, seeing as CA is an hour behind us in Jan and it will feel more like 12:30 to our little AZ bodies...more like the perfect lunchtime! :)

Thanks!!! :D

09-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Show up for that 11:30 lunch reservation at 11:15 or even 11:10. You'll have an even better chance at a waterfront seating.

The monte cristo is an experience, anyway. My daughter and I split one and it was plenty for both of us, along with some soup.

DianeM
09-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Have the mousse for dessert. It's a rasberry mousse in the shape of a mickey mouse hat. Awesome. Also, if you don't want to spend a fortune on food, have lunch there and/or order an appetizer in lieu of a meal. I had just a calimari appetizer and the mousse, and was quite satisfied.

Any Tips For The Blue?
Long Time Wait?

Clotho
09-22-2005, 10:08 AM
"Birbaum's guide says that this is the ONLY place in Disneyland where you need to make a reservation on the day you need to dine."

Birbaums is out of date. Thank goodness, you can now make ressies 60 days out like all the other sit-down Disney restaurants! I am not a morning person, and hubby and I don't usually hit the parks until 11am. So the days we wanted to eat there, we had to get up early to head over to make our ressies, or standby hoping we would get a table. Standby was a long wait (about an hour), but we would do it, because getting up early on the day of was lame.

Our trip (next week!!) coming up, we made ressies for 12 noon. Perfect for us! YAY!

And I agree that the crab cakes don't compare to crab cakes elsewhere (more cake than crab), I still enjoy them and get them pretty much every time. Hubby likes the chowder, and I always get to share. ;) I forget what he gets for an entree, though...

Oh, and as others have said, if you want a water table, then come early for your reservation. Then express your wish for a table when you check in, and be ready to wait past your ressie time to get it. But it's worth it in my opinion. I love waving to folks in their boats!

lauramaynot
09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Can you order the monte cristo at anytime or is it just a lunch item? When we ate dinner there it wasn't on the menu and I had the pasta with chicken. It was good, but spicy (ok I know it's cajun but I wasn't expecting pasta to be spicy ;) ) Also surprised by the spicy dressing on the salad...

Andrew
09-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Can you order the monte cristo at anytime or is it just a lunch item?
The Monte Cristo is only on the lunch menu. One useful tip is to schedule a late lunch/early dinner just before the menu switch; you'll get the lower prices (and Monte Cristo availability) of the lunch menu, and it'll be easier to get a waterside seat since the restaurant won't be nearly as busy as during peak meal hours.

texas minnie
09-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Is the pasta like the Cajun Chicken Pasta at Chili's? I love that stuff!
I was thinking the chicken ceasar salad sounded good, too (maybe not as heavy as the MCristo...). Anyone tried it?
What other desserts are especially good?

lauramaynot
09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Is the pasta like the Cajun Chicken Pasta at Chili's? I love that stuff!

I have never had the chilis pasta but it was rigatoni (sp?) with a maranara (sp?) sauce and I can't remember exactly if the chicken was cut up or a whole breast. It was big and garnished beautifully. And we paid for it with our disney visa rewards card so I can't complain much about something that was sort of free...

stan4d_steph
09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
My tip is to go in the evening and just have dessert and coffee. You get the atmosphere without the big price tag.

HydroGuy
09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
I made a PS reservation for a party of six about five weeks before our Aug 3 visit to Blue Bayou. I made the PS for 11:30AM, and requested waterside. We got to the BB at 11AM that day, and there were CMs there, but they told me to come back at 11:15 for check-in. Apparently there were two requests that day for waterside seating for groups of six, and there are two tables that can seat six at waterside. So we got one. They seated us at about 11:40.

Service was outstanding. Four of us had the Jamabalaya, and we would recommend that over the signature Monte Cristo.

Gone2Disneyland
09-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I've always, always, always wanted to eat there but never had the time or was with too many family members to be able to.
I went for the first time last month. With a party of 13! Let me tell you, they really were prompt to seat us. We showed up about twenty minutes before our noontime reservation. So some people in our group decided they'd have time to use the restrooms, shop, and mill around NOS. About five minutes later, they called our party in, when our party dwindled to four. We said folks had just gone to use the restroom and would be back, but we caused ourselves some momentary anxiety. We didn't want to lose our chance to get seated right away!

Lesson: Unless you're asking for that waterside seat like we didn't, BB will seat you pretty promptly. :) Even if you have have a large group.

MrsPooh
09-22-2005, 02:30 PM
My tip is to go in the evening and just have dessert and coffee. You get the atmosphere without the big price tag.

I agree with Steph on this. Or as others have suggested earlier, go for lunch instead of dinner. We went to BB last year for my birthday for dinner, and IMHO the food was overpriced to be just "ok." I have heard lunch is better, or do the dessert thing like Steph says. We love the atmosphere, so we will go again, just not for an overpriced mediocre dinner.

Call the reservation number, we did it a few weeks in advance. We couldn't order a waterside table on the phone, but we asked the hostess if we could get one, and we just waited an extra 10 minutes or so for it.

Pat-n-Eil
09-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Any Tips For The Blue? ... Any Sugestions? :d

I'd recommend 15 to 20% if the service is good. :p

SarahShep
09-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I went for the first time last month. With a party of 13! Let me tell you, they really were prompt to seat us. We showed up about twenty minutes before our noontime reservation. So some people in our group decided they'd have time to use the restrooms, shop, and mill around NOS. About five minutes later, they called our party in, when our party dwindled to four. We said folks had just gone to use the restroom and would be back, but we caused ourselves some momentary anxiety. We didn't want to lose our chance to get seated right away!

Lesson: Unless you're asking for that waterside seat like we didn't, BB will seat you pretty promptly. :) Even if you have have a large group.

LOL...our last group was over 20 people...with lots of kids from ages 10-3 months...so we spared our fellow diners the pain of sitting by us.

But money was always the issue...none of the adults wanted to pay for it!

Now, I'm the adult and I can do whatever I want! LOL