PDA

View Full Version : One week to go, and we're leaving earlier!

Pages : [1] 2

Whittibo
09-21-2005, 07:38 AM
I home school my kids, so school isn't an issue, but they do take a couple classes on Wednesdays from 10am - 12:30pm. They start their classes today, so next week we were going to wait around until 12:30 and leave after their classes so they would only miss ONE class on Oct 5th. But we just can't wait. I mean, if my husband is taking a whole day off of work, why sit around and wait for school!? And how productive will they be, knowing we're leaving for Disneyland THAT DAY!!

By leaving earlier (around 7 - 7:30) that should get us down there by 3pm, which will allow us to spend a few hours at the park that afternoon as well.. (otherwise we wouldn't have gotten down there till about 8pm, the park closes at 8pm)

I am excited because we get essentially another day for our vacation!! We'll hit the hotel first, unload, and get over to the park. At closing, we'll then go back, get our van, and go grocery shopping and eat dinner. Then we'll have Thursday/Friday at Disneyland and then we can't go over the weekend, so we're going to take one day off and just relax by the pool and/or go shopping at the warehouse, and the other day, we'll hit Knotts. (I was there once as a young child, but we haven't been as a family yet).

My kids talked me into packing the other day, so now we have packed suit cases in every room. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but our house is for sale, so it looks pretty messy with suit cases everywhere. :( But I don't care.. cause I am GOING TO DISNEYLAND!! :D

infinite
09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
We are leaving this Saturday (3 days is it!)!

And Hello to another homeschooling family that will be at Disneyland during that time!

We are excited as well, but not as organized as you are, we still need to pack. And I woke up yesterday and thought :confused: “I want to come home to a spotless house” :confused: , so I have been cleaning all of the closest, taking down and dusting artwork, etc., etc. Hopefully we will finish today, so we can pack!

We are missing a few classes ourselves…but in my defense we purchased our vacation package BEFORE we knew this years schedule…ha ha ha.

Have fun! :)

Skunker
09-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Oh my gosh Whittibo - I am so with you! Who cares CAUSE WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!
My co-workers were laughing at me yesterday and asking if I was getting ready because I have one of DaddyB's desktop's on my work computer. (Mickey in flowers at the entrance) One of them said "Who is going to be more excited, you or your son?" I said "ME of course!"

PsychDoc
09-21-2005, 08:14 AM
I don't home school my daughter, but I am pulling her out for one day for our birthday DL trip next Friday. She's an excellent student, so I don't see any harm in missing one day. Afterall, it is for a good cause. Isn't it?

IcDkRy16
09-21-2005, 08:43 AM
I don't homeschool but I do independent study which is kinda the same thing. Isn't it nice being able to take vacations when all the kids are at school? I love it! It makes it so easy for my parents to pull me out of school for the week. Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful time. Only 1 week 5 days left for us, I can't wait much longer!!

Rhiannon8404
09-21-2005, 08:44 AM
I am so with you! We are going Nov. 12-16. We also homeschool, so we don't have to worry about being "absent". Charlie will miss two TaeKwonDo classes, but he'll be able to catch up easily.

My cousin pulled his daugher out of school on a Friday one time to go to Disneyland for a long weekend, told them ahead of time why and everything. When he got back, he received a truancy notice from the school district. Aparently he would have been better off lying and saying she was sick for one day than to tell the truth.

Skunker
09-21-2005, 08:54 AM
I am so with you! We are going Nov. 12-16. We also homeschool, so we don't have to worry about being "absent". Charlie will miss two TaeKwonDo classes, but he'll be able to catch up easily.

My cousin pulled his daugher out of school on a Friday one time to go to Disneyland for a long weekend, told them ahead of time why and everything. When he got back, he received a truancy notice from the school district. Aparently he would have been better off lying and saying she was sick for one day than to tell the truth.

But really, what does a truancy notice mean anyway? I guess it would only matter to the parents and hey, they already knew she was gone! You know what I think they can do with their truancy notices.... he he

DangerMouse
09-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Wow! Quite a few homeschoolers on this board! We are too, and love the flexibility of planning a DL vacation when everyone else is "in school".

Have a great vacation Whittibo! I know you have been planning this for a long time. Can't wait to read your trip report when you get back. :D

Rhiannon8404
09-21-2005, 12:18 PM
But really, what does a truancy notice mean anyway? I guess it would only matter to the parents and hey, they already knew she was gone! You know what I think they can do with their truancy notices.... he he

Yeah, well I'm pretty sure my cousin was thinking the same thing you were. The only thing was, under a certain age, the parents are held responsible for truant children (his DD was in 1st or 2nd grade). The note said that if it happened again, they could be fined. So of course, now they just call her in sick.

Skunker
09-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah, well I'm pretty sure my cousin was thinking the same thing you were. The only thing was, under a certain age, the parents are held responsible for truant children (his DD was in 1st or 2nd grade). The note said that if it happened again, they could be fined. So of course, now they just call her in sick.

Fined? WOW. Gee, who is the PARENT of this child anyway? Oh well, that's a whole other tangent I shouldn't go off on right now. he he

In our school district, there are a lot of kids with family in Mexico. The parents sometimes pull the kids out for 2 months at a time in the winter and go to Mexico. Apparently they don't fine parents here! (it's also why I think they didn't give me a hard time about taking my son out for 1 week)

MermaidHair
09-21-2005, 12:39 PM
We are leaving this Saturday (3 days is it!)!
We are excited as well, but not as organized as you are, we still need to pack. And I woke up yesterday and thought :confused: “I want to come home to a spotless house” :confused: , so I have been cleaning all of the closest, taking down and dusting artwork, etc., etc. Hopefully we will finish today, so we can pack!
Have fun! :)

This cracked me up! It sounds like the "nesting" that pregnant women sometimes go through before they give birth. Who knew trips to Disneyland resulted in "nesting"??? It seems like a bonus because you get the spurt of energy to really clean up AND you don't have to go through chiildbirth! :cool:

Have a great time

vmjess
09-21-2005, 12:46 PM
We leave Tuesday and I am taking my kids out of school Wed, Thur and Fri. We do it every year- Disneyland every other year, Family the other years. My kids are great students and their teachers give them packets of thier work so they are not behind.

We can't wait for Disneyland- I am cleaning my house this week too! We love this time of the year at DL- low crowds and beautiful weather.

blackjackdelta
09-21-2005, 12:52 PM
We take the kids out of school a couple of times a year and the district complains and sent a notice. I sent a lawyer, that never happened again. We send a notice two weeks in advance so they can complete their assignments in advance.

Have a fantasmic day

tinksmom
09-21-2005, 01:07 PM
We take the kids out of school a couple of times a year and the district complains and sent a notice. I sent a lawyer, that never happened again. We send a notice two weeks in advance so they can complete their assignments in advance.

Have a fantasmic day

In my 20 years teaching experience, I have found that, in the long run, kids who miss more than 2 or 3 days of school per year , for whatever reason, end up at a significant disadvantage in the long run.

However, sadly, I have also learned that any parent who thinks so little about his or her child's education that they would take them out of school for something as trivial as missing a line at Disneyland really doesn't give a rip what a teacher thinks.

Just my two cents worth.

Skunker
09-21-2005, 01:20 PM
In my 20 years teaching experience, I have found that, in the long run, kids who miss more than 2 or 3 days of school per year , for whatever reason, end up at a significant disadvantage in the long run.

However, sadly, I have also learned that any parent who thinks so little about his or her child's education that they would take them out of school for something as trivial as missing a line at Disneyland really doesn't give a rip what a teacher thinks.

Just my two cents worth.

Good gravy - here we go again. How dare you say any of us don't "give a rip" about what our teacher's think. And how do you know we are taking them out of school to "miss a line"? For your information, we were not able to take a vacation this summer due to everyone else at either my company or my husband's already having time scheduled and our work loads.

It's quite obvious from reading the posts here that our lives are centered around our children and we are making precious family memories with these trips. I guess we don't consider that "trivial".

blackjackdelta
09-21-2005, 01:26 PM
My two cents...my four children are (19,17,15,13) Two have 4.0, one a 3.8 and the other 3.7 GPA's. They are bored with school most of the time. They do their homework, participate in sports, orchestra, choir, etc. We support every thing they want to do. They like the social experience but that is about it. The 19 y.o. has a scholarship to Gonzaga in Jan. My wife works fulltime on a Neonatal transport team/NICU night shift and I spent the last 10 month's up until August in Iraq working as a security contractor..and right now it is 0116 here.
I have a very difficult time with the state or any education association telling how to educate my children and what times they have to do what. Unions keep the best and the worst in all trades. If it were not for our work schedules we would home school and I can tell you I am on a first name basis with the superintendant and all their teachers.
I can understand your point of view but all gets down to the almighty $$$ and what resources you have available to do your job.

Have a great day and support your troops or we will have another VietNam and they will come home to what we did in the 60's.

tinksmom
09-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Like I said, just my two cents worth. . .I didn't mean to cause too much offense.

After all, I am not in teaching because I care about kids, or because I want the best for your children, or because I believe in what I'm doing. . . I really don't even mind taking time away from my own family so I can put together special little homework packets for elective vacations. . .

I hope your kids enjoy themselves and that their education doesn't suffer too much. But hey, at least if they end up in a career as a burger flipper, they can console themselves that their parents' lives revolved around their vacation experiences.

IcDkRy16
09-21-2005, 01:35 PM

Just my two cents worth.

I'm a high school senior and I've been pulled out of school many times when I attended public school(I started independent study when I was in 7th grade). I've been pulled out for family vacations, my birthday, and once in 4th grade I was out for 2 weeks with the flu. Missing school days in my elementary and part of middle school years has not left me with any disadvantages at all. I do very well in school and make straight A’s, even though I have missed two weeks at one time. I'm not a parent or anything, but I think that when a parent takes their kids out for a week vacation it shows the kids that school and work can be put aside for a week of family time. I don't see any harm in it if you make sure your child’s able to get caught up. Again, I'm not a parent but this is just my opinion.

Mommy2NicknMax
09-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Wow, I had no idea there were so many homeschooling families here! We just started (my oldest is now 5)!

Whittibo, have a great time!!!!! :D

Skunker
09-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Like I said, just my two cents worth. . .I didn't mean to cause too much offense.

After all, I am not in teaching because I care about kids, or because I want the best for your children, or because I believe in what I'm doing. . . I really don't even mind taking time away from my own family so I can put together special little homework packets for elective vacations. . .

I hope your kids enjoy themselves and that their education doesn't suffer too much. But hey, at least if they end up in a career as a burger flipper, they can console themselves that their parents' lives revolved around their vacation experiences.

Condesending, sarcastic and insulting all at the same time. Wow....

I guess if I had several weeks off during the summer, spring break, Christmas, etc, I could conform to your idea of what proper vacationing entails. Unfortunately, I am not unionized and I don't work for the government, so I only get the 2 weeks my corporation sees fit to dole out every year. (I know, I know, I could have been a teacher and gotten on the gravy train *stupid me, stupid me*).

If my son does end up flipping burgers, I highly doubt it will be because of a trip to Disneyland. But he'll take comfort in knowing how much he is loved and how much his parents want to spend time with him!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
09-21-2005, 01:53 PM

I guess if I had several weeks off during the summer, spring break, Christmas, etc, I could conform to your idea of what proper vacationing entails. Unfortunately, I am not unionized and I don't work for the government, so I only get the 2 weeks my corporation sees fit to dole out every year. (I know, I know, I could have been a teacher and gotten on the gravy train *stupid me, stupid me*).

If my son does end up flipping burgers, I highly doubt it will be because of a trip to Disneyland. But he'll take comfort in knowing how much he is loved and how much his parents want to spend time with him!

I for one am all for putting the family first, my parents ALWAYS pulled us out (until 5th grade) to take a family trip during the school year.

Apparently it ruined us. my brother graduated with honors from SDSU with a dual major and I spent many years in radio before going back to college to complete my degree and paralegal certification.

You go when it works best for you.

Clotho
09-21-2005, 01:59 PM
"I hope your kids enjoy themselves and that their education doesn't suffer too much. But hey, at least if they end up in a career as a burger flipper, they can console themselves that their parents' lives revolved around their vacation experiences."

WOW! Are you *kidding me*?! And YOU are in charge of someone's children with that narrow-minded attitude?

I was also a child who was taken out of school for travel. When I was 7 (my brother was 8), we took a month to travel to New Zealand, where we spent half the time in the city and half the time on a farm. I was required to journal about my experiences when I was there, and catch up on any missed work that was vital to moving forward with my class. My brother and I were both A students, and had no issue at all. Our teachers were supportive of our "life experience" we got from the trip, and were totally encouraging so long as we kept up with our work, which we did.

I remember many times throughout my young life where we took half days or days off for camping trips, family vacations (my father was a pilot), and the like. We're not talking taking a month off every year (that was a rare exception), but a few days throughout any year. And never once did it affect my grades, my socialization, or my future career.

My brother makes six-figures as a prominent IT manager in the highly competitive Silicone Valley market. He is chased by many companies at any given time for his expertise. I own my business, and am sought after to travel to teach workshops in other cities. *OH MY! HOW DID I MANAGE TO STAY AWAY FROM BURGER FLIPPING?!* By having caring teachers who knew there was value in the education gleaned both in and outside of the classroom, parents who made education an equal priority to fun and exploration, and apparently avoiding being pinned down by narrow minded, rude people like you.

*rolling eyes*

tinksmom
09-21-2005, 01:59 PM

Wow. Imagine an innocuous comment from a teacher that missing school is not the best of ideas causing such anger, turmoil, distress, uncivility, and animosity. . .

Perhaps you are feeling, deep down, that maybe (gasp) there is some truth to what I suggested?

Anyway, enjoy your trip. I'm sure you've earned it.

Skunker
09-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Wow. Imagine an innocuous comment from a teacher that missing school is not the best of ideas causing such anger, turmoil, distress, uncivility, and animosity. . .

Perhaps you are feeling, deep down, that maybe (gasp) there is some truth to what I suggested?

Anyway, enjoy your trip. I'm sure you've earned it.

Come on - your comments were not "innocuous", and they were meant to offend and provoke responses.

Your comments are too ridiculous for me to even consider having truth to them. Please don't flatter yourself.

blackjackdelta
09-21-2005, 02:08 PM
If my kids are happy being "burger flippers" then who cares. All children deserve to be happy, have a safe enviroment to grow up in, and have parents who care about their happiness. The world has changed since I went to school, I remember the "teachers" did many things "extra" because they wanted to provide a better learning experience. Now they are "educators" and appear to do much less..they way off the world we live in.Go,Go,Go. Mine,mine,mine..reminds you of a Daffy Duck cartoon.

I think most parents do what they think is best for their children. But I also think many teachers give no quarter to their students based upon "their" way of teaching, their lesson plan, and a base ciriculum(sp). It takes the individual to provide a good learning experience for their students..we all learn differently and at different speeds and public education is not equiped to do that. I admire teachers who are willing to go beyond what is required...

This is not meant to be offensive!!! It is in response to your statement..we all are not sheep and I offer to you, come over here and get a education on what this part of the world is like. I bet you will have nightmares for along time.

Sorry, I am sitting in a com shack right now with nothing to do and these boards have many interesting people who are seeking "FUNNNNNNNNNNNN" for their families.

Have a great day what timezone you are in.