PDA

View Full Version : Can you help recommend a hotel (suites?) with these ammenities?

chris r11
09-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Hi,

We are planning on arriving at DL on Nov 30 (Wed) and leaving on Dec 4th.

We were planning on staying at the Candy Cane Inn, but we were going to go with my wifes parents, too - we don't think they will want to pay what the rooms are going for.

Are there any Suites with 2 bedrooms where all 6 of us (our 1 and 4 year old) can all stay. We really like the Candy Cane because it has the heated pool/spa and the nice breakfast.

We also would want something that is really no longer of a walk to the park than the Candy Cane is because of our kids.

Thanks for any advice....

Chris

stan4d_steph
09-21-2005, 07:20 AM
What rate were you getting that they think is too high? That might help determine what your price range is.

Also, check out this other thread discussing the best suite hotels. Click here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=47833).

Whittibo
09-21-2005, 07:22 AM
how much are the rooms at the Candy Cane??

I have a 2 bedroom kids suite at the Residence Inn Garden Grove, it's got a king bed in the master room with a bathroom, then another kids room with bunk beds (I think you can get double beds there instead??) and that room has it's own bathroom too. Then there's a full kitchen and front room with a pull out sofa. I am paying $149.99 (with tax and charges comes to $169.98 a night)

It's not within walking distance, but there is a free shuttle that loads I think every 30 minutes? You just walk out behind the hotel, and catch the shuttle at the Hyatt.

We were down there Nov. 26th - Dec 4th last year in the FREEZING COLD RAIN, and we still got into their pool and spa. I think all the hotels have heated pools?? Just HOW heated is the question to ask though.

Whittibo
09-21-2005, 07:27 AM
I should have said too, that the Residence has a FULL buffet breakfast in the morning.. FREE! That makes up for a huge chunk of the cost. If we had to buy breakfast for our family every day, that would cost us at least $25-$30. So that makes the hotel a good value.

09-21-2005, 07:54 AM
we were going to go with my wifes parents, too - we don't think they will want to pay what the rooms are going for.

Are there any Suites with 2 bedrooms where all 6 of us (our 1 and 4 year old) can all stay.

Just asking some questions you don't have to answer.

I realize every family is different and you have said it's a budget thing but ... are you sure it's a good idea to put your family in such close, never-ending contact with inlaws? Are the inlaws okay with close, never-ending contact with a 1 year-old?

Okay, my .02.

MrsPooh
09-21-2005, 09:34 AM
I know I am the only one that talks of this place, but we love Hawthorn Suites in Orange. We have gotten a 2 bedroom suite, and it is actually a regular one bedroom suite with another one bedroom adjoined (I am guessing it can be opened when used as a 2 bedroom suite, but closed for a smaller room) That extra room was a Godsend when we went with my inlaws on that trip from hell, but that is a different story.

We paid $149 for the 2 bedroom suite, and breakfast was included. Eggs, potatos, sausage/bacon, juice, fruit, etc. The hotel is in Orange, but they have a great shuttle service to and from the park. I have noticed that the hotels that are closer to DL, walking distance, seem to be more expensive than those that are not.

We love the Hawthorn, that is where we always stay. Mr. Pooh loves the courtyard where you can sit by the fountain and have breakfast. We have had the regular suite sometimes go for $69 a night, if you can believe that.

junewestgirl
09-21-2005, 09:44 AM
I love the Residence Inns! I usually try to stay in a Residence Inn if staying more than one night. Full breakfast is served and dinner too if you are staying Mon-Fri. I have also taken single serving PB and Jelly packs plus fruit with me for later for snack/light lunch. Kitchen is great for storing drinks and snacks. (I try not to do any heavy cooking on vacation!).
Two Bedroom suites worth the price if you factor in free breakfast and dinners (and lunch if you include fruit, milk, PB & J, etc)

MrsPooh
09-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Oh, I forgot that the Hawthorn Suites have kitchens in them! Fridges too! We take lunch stuff and store it there. When we take our mid afternoon break we have lunch and swim. Cheaper that way!

itig
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I love the Residence Inns! I usually try to stay in a Residence Inn if staying more than one night. Full breakfast is served and dinner too if you are staying Mon-Fri. I have also taken single serving PB and Jelly packs plus fruit with me for later for snack/light lunch. Kitchen is great for storing drinks and snacks. (I try not to do any heavy cooking on vacation!).
Two Bedroom suites worth the price if you factor in free breakfast and dinners (and lunch if you include fruit, milk, PB & J, etc)

We are planning on staying at the Residence Inn in November. You mentioned dinner during the week, but couldn't find this on their website. This is what I did find: Complimentary Hospitality Hour Monday through Thursday offering snacks and beverages

Is that dinner? I've never been there in the evening/afternoon -- we're always at the park. I am also taking my parents on this trip and opted for the 2 bedroom suite to give us each our own space for downtime. Our rate was 169.00 + tax p/night. Seems like a good deal, but I am also going to check into the Hawthorn Suites mentioned by MrsPooh in this thread.

Malcon10t
09-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Are there any Suites with 2 bedrooms where all 6 of us (our 1 and 4 year old) can all stay. We really like the Candy Cane because it has the heated pool/spa and the nice breakfast.

We also would want something that is really no longer of a walk to the park than the Candy Cane is because of our kids.Residence Inns are great, but not walkable. My suggestions would be the Park Inn (www.parkinn-anaheim.com), they have 2 room units, or Anaheim Desert Inn (www.anaheimdesertinn.com) has rooms to sleep up to 10 people.

junewestgirl
09-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Each night they have something different. Menu is posted in the room or you can call hotel direct. We have have had grilled hamburgers or hot dogs, Potato Salad or Chips, Dessert plus free drinks. I call that dinner. Of course you don't get a choice. But if you don't like what is on the menu you can opt to eat elsewhere. We usually go back to room for rest so the hospitality hour works out great before heading back to park. They have shuttles available. Again, check with the hotel.

ralfrick
09-21-2005, 12:24 PM
The Anaheim Desert Inn and Carousel both meet your requirements. We've stayed in both, and prefer the DI.

Cheers.

Baloo
09-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi,

We were planning on staying at the Candy Cane Inn, but we were going to go with my wifes parents, too - we don't think they will want to pay what the rooms are going for.

We also would want something that is really no longer of a walk to the park than the Candy Cane is because of our kids.

Chris

I reccomend the Anabella hotel

All there rooms are spacious. They have kids suite which have a large king size bed and also a small sperate bedroom with a twin bed. Each room has its own television. All rooms have refrigerators, irons, in room coffee, internet cable and beds with lots of pillows.
The hotel has a large heated family pool and spa as well as a n adult secluded pool. It is located right behind DCA next to family resturants. The walk to the park is very nice and short. All you do is walk down the road between Paradise pier hotel and DCA then walk into the either DTD or DCa thru the grand california main entrace.

They laso have large rooms if needed. I have always found roms for this hotel thru orbitz from the $70.00 dollar range to $100.00. Normally these rooms go much much higher.

The hotel grounds are nicely landscaped with several gardens and walkways with benches and a large fountain. All the buildings are themed mission style.

itig
09-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Each night they have something different. Menu is posted in the room or you can call hotel direct. We have have had grilled hamburgers or hot dogs, Potato Salad or Chips, Dessert plus free drinks. I call that dinner. Of course you don't get a choice. But if you don't like what is on the menu you can opt to eat elsewhere. We usually go back to room for rest so the hospitality hour works out great before heading back to park. They have shuttles available. Again, check with the hotel.

That is definitely dinner :) Thanks!

blackjackdelta
09-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Residence Inns are great, but not walkable. My suggestions would be the Park Inn (www.parkinn-anaheim.com), they have 2 room units, or Anaheim Desert Inn (www.anaheimdesertinn.com) has rooms to sleep up to 10 people.

I disagree with Malcon10T. The Residence Inn Maingate is a 15 to 20 minute walk to the maingate at leasurely pace and offers everything you want from a Residence Inn. Very nice place to stay, check ratings on www.tripadvisor.com for all your hotel/motel needs.

Malcon10t
09-21-2005, 06:59 PM
I reccomend the Anabella hotel

All there rooms are spacious. They have kids suite which have a large king size bed and also a small sperate bedroom with a twin bed. Each room has its own television. All rooms have refrigerators, irons, in room coffee, internet cable and beds with lots of pillows.
The hotel has a large heated family pool and spa as well as a n adult secluded pool. It is located right behind DCA next to family resturants. The walk to the park is very nice and short. All you do is walk down the road between Paradise pier hotel and DCA then walk into the either DTD or DCa thru the grand california main entrace.

They laso have large rooms if needed. I have always found roms for this hotel thru orbitz from the $70.00 dollar range to $100.00. Normally these rooms go much much higher.

The hotel grounds are nicely landscaped with several gardens and walkways with benches and a large fountain. All the buildings are themed mission style.I love the Anabella too, however, the Kid suite is a queen bed, a set of bunks and a day bed. Not conducive for 2 couples (4 adults) and 2 children. For $90 a night there, you could get a standard 2 queen room, and just get 2 rooms. Walk isn't too much further than Candy Cane.

Malcon10t
09-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I disagree with Malcon10T. The Residence Inn Maingate is a 15 to 20 minute walk to the maingate at leasurely pace and offers everything you want from a Residence Inn. Very nice place to stay, check ratings on www.tripadvisor.com for all your hotel/motel needs.Thanks for the update. We have stayed there, and I LOVE the grounds and rooms. The Penthouse suites are HUGE. The afternoon hour is a blast. For us, it was just too far to walk with my parents, we tend to stay within a 5 minute walk. I doubt I would want to do the walk after closing with a 1 and 4 year old. It is on the shuttle route though.

DianeM
09-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Have you cheked out the Best Western Park Place Inn and Suites? You can't beat the walk - it is the closest hotel to the cross walk at the Disney entrance. I don't know what their suite rates are, but they have suites. Last time I went with my family we just got connecting rooms. It has a basic breakfast included (the usual cereal/milk/coffee and such). The pool is outdoor, and I'm pretty sure it's heated. The room has all the amenities... cable, microwave, fridge, etc. It's clean and very comfortable.

This last trip I let my mother make the arrangements, and she got rooms at the Del Sol Inn, which is behind the Denny's near the crosswalk. It was okay, but the hot tub was not that clean (it smelled mildewy) and the rooms were not much (the cable was very limited, and unlike the Best Western, we couldn't order current movies). We had to ask at the front desk for coffee for the coffee pot (it was free, though). The people at the front desk were very helpful and nice, though, and the beds were the most comfortable I've slept in at a hotel. We had a connecting room, which was nice because we could put my nephew to bed and chat in the next room in our pajamas.

Hi,

Chris

Malcon10t
09-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Have you cheked out the Best Western Park Place Inn and Suites? You can't beat the walk - it is the closest hotel to the cross walk at the Disney entrance. I don't know what their suite rates are, but they have suites. Last time I went with my family we just got connecting rooms. It has a basic breakfast included (the usual cereal/milk/coffee and such). The pool is outdoor, and I'm pretty sure it's heated. The room has all the amenities... cable, microwave, fridge, etc. It's clean and very comfortable.

This last trip I let my mother make the arrangements, and she got rooms at the Del Sol Inn, which is behind the Denny's near the crosswalk. It was okay, but the hot tub was not that clean (it smelled mildewy) and the rooms were not much (the cable was very limited, and unlike the Best Western, we couldn't order current movies). We had to ask at the front desk for coffee for the coffee pot (it was free, though). The people at the front desk were very helpful and nice, though, and the beds were the most comfortable I've slept in at a hotel. We had a connecting room, which was nice because we could put my nephew to bed and chat in the next room in our pajamas.Their suites are "mini suites", as they have no seperation between the sofa sleeper and the beds. They are nice, and the breakfast is better than most. They also have free wireless internet. The Del Sol I really don't personally recommend. Its good if you are using it for sleeping and showering, but the room walls are paper thin. I would be nervous taking my parents and having them in the next room. I wouldn't be able to sleep with my s-dad's snoring with those walls... My daughter and I will be staying there next Dec, but like I said, we just sleep and shower, and are gone again... And they don't have "suites", just connecting rooms. Look at Getawaytoday.com for the best rates there.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-21-2005, 07:50 PM
We love Homewood Suites. They are a few miles from DL, however, they have a shuttle that runs either hourly or 2 times per hour. They have a kitchen with a stovetop, microwave and full sized fridge. They also have utensils, plates, cups and mugs. And, a couple of pots and pans for cooking. They are a two room suite (though I do think they have 2 bedrooms as well) and we are paying $119 a night in October for it. :) The living room has a sofa sleeper queen size and the bedroom could have 2 doubles, or a king. Something to consider!

OH---and free breakfast!!!!! :) :)

nvmom
09-21-2005, 08:11 PM
We stayed at the Desert Palms last Mar, right around the corner from the Candy Cane. We had a perfectly fine experience there and they have several suite options, some w/full kitchens, etc. Their continental breakfast wasn't much, but we had no major complaints otherwise, and we got a good rate thru Expedia.

nvmom

chris r11
09-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi all,

Did not have time to check in on this thread till now. Had back to school night for the 4 year old's montissori (??)

It seems like a stay for 4 nights and 2 3 day park hoppers would be about 770 which kind of makes the hotel around $500 for the 4 nights. That includes tax and all. My wife and I really like the candy cane, so we will see if they want to stay there or not. The problem is that they decided to go to Germany for a few weeks and it makes it difficult to talk to them. I guess with the 50th going on, many of the hotels can charge their higher prices during the off season...

On another topic, how do you feel about the trip insurance that disney travel is pushing for $45 per adult?

Thanks,
Chris