PDA

View Full Version : A Space Mountain Programmer with a sense of humor

nightdesigns
09-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Decided to go to the park today, Tuesday, raining, nice small crowds.

Went out Space Mountain and the very last part before exiting the tunnel we stopped, and the entire system was going into a cascade stop.

Now keep in mind, we were in the very last stop on the main part of the ride, a lot like the same place the people were on Screaming before they got rear ended. We could hear (and feel) the car coming up behind us and we started to get nervous. Only having been on the ride a few times since it was redone, I wasn't totally sure if there was another brake zone directly behind us. We were also in the last row.

So we hear the car coming up behind us, thinking "uh oh" and then the on board sound system makes a very loud crashing sound. Realizing that nothing had actually hit us (system worked as it should) and the car behind us was a good 15 feet behind us, I thought, "bastards!" some programmer had too much fun.

It is trippy sitting there hearing every other car on the track come to a stop, a mountain that goes from roaring to silence in 20 seconds, and then the cast members coming out to push us around the corner. Wish we were two cars back so that we would have stopped in the mountain and gotten to see it with the lights on.

RemainSeatedPlease
09-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Scary! But also cool, I too have always wanted to be stopped inside with the lights on..that would be pretty neat. Glad everyone is ok...those darn programmers ;)

Whittibo
09-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Good grief, I would have pee'd my pants!

MPinSV
09-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Wish we were two cars back so that we would have stopped in the mountain and gotten to see it with the lights on.

Many many years ago my wife, my father and I were on Space Mountain when it stopped while we were at the top. The CM's came out and pushed us to get started. We got to ride almost the entire ride with the lights on. It was very cool. When we got to the end the CM asked us...."Want to go again?" Of course. :)

DianeM
09-20-2005, 04:55 PM
When I think about it - if I heard a crashing sound, I would react exactly as you did - check my surroundings and notice I was okay, then laugh or be annoyed. But if I heard warning sirens going off, I would be worried that there was a fire or something and that I should be getting myself off the ride asap. Disney psychology? Did they test different sounds and find that a crashing sound was the best for this "alarm"?

Went out Space Mountain and the very last part before exiting the tunnel we stopped, and the entire system was going into a cascade stop.

Now keep in mind, we were in the very last stop on the main part of the ride, a lot like the same place the people were on Screaming before they got rear ended. We could hear (and feel) the car coming up behind us and we started to get nervous. Only having been on the ride a few times since it was redone, I wasn't totally sure if there was another brake zone directly behind us. We were also in the last row.

So we hear the car coming up behind us, thinking "uh oh" and then the on board sound system makes a very loud crashing sound. Realizing that nothing had actually hit us (system worked as it should) and the car behind us was a good 15 feet behind us, I thought, "bastards!" some programmer had too much fun.

It is trippy sitting there hearing every other car on the track come to a stop, a mountain that goes from roaring to silence in 20 seconds, and then the cast members coming out to push us around the corner. Wish we were two cars back so that we would have stopped in the mountain and gotten to see it with the lights on.

Doug
09-20-2005, 07:38 PM
I would imagine that was just the normal crash sound you hear at the end of the ride...

Yeah, I would *LOVE* to get stopped inside, and have them put the lights on!!