PDA

View Full Version : Great Things for Grand Californian Guests

miss bianca
09-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Just got back from the Grand and I forgot to bring the flier home so I could copy it word for word - so here's the gist:

These are "events" for guests staying at the Grand Californian Hotel

1) A quest/scavenger hunt around the hotel with a prize for everyone at the end - geared towards family with children ages 3-12. We played and it took about 15/20 mins and it was very cute. Although they seemed annoyed that the 2 children with us - 1 and 1 1/2 year olds were asleep in their strollers while we played. Oh well! This started in the lobby at 4:00 or 4:30 can't remember. This was FREE!

2) Guided Power Walk through DCA before it opens to the public. This started at 7:30 and you needed to make reservations for it. This was also FREE! I wasn't feeling good so I passed on this - but it sounded really cool.

3) Sephora - something about a personal make-up consultation. Didn't sound any different than what you could get at Macys

4) Build a Bear - chance to build your bear BEFORE the store opens to the public. This too was by reservations only and I think the group was limited to like 15 people. This too I THINK was FREE. <--sorry can't remember.

5) Storytelling - every night in the lobby - FREE

Anyway - pretty neat that they are adding new and exclusive events for guests staying at GCH. When you check in they give you a schedule of these events for the next few days. :)

kohl
09-20-2005, 11:17 AM
They usually have something like that all the time. We have done the Quest before and my kids really enjoyed it!

pirateabbie
09-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the tips, miss bianca! Did you find out if hotel guests could get early entry every day it's offered?

09-20-2005, 11:41 AM
3) Sephora - something about a personal make-up consultation. Didn't sound any different than what you could get at Macys
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]

It costs $35 (unless the price has gone up) but you get the $35 back in a Sephora merchandise certificate. It starts at 8:30 (store opens at 10). First you have a group presentation, then you have your individual makeover. There is one artist per customer.

The Sephora makeover is ecclectic, meaning the artist uses many different brands on you. At a department store, generally it's a one-brand makeover. I love both kinds. The Sephora artists really made an effort to make everyone comfortable, even though we were all being made up at stations in front of the store's big glass windows.

I'd say try it if this sounds at all fun and you have the time.

miss bianca
09-20-2005, 12:06 PM
pirateabbie - yes its still available!! We have AP's and were able to use it on Thusday and Saturday!

3894 - thanks for the much better description. I'm just more of a chapstick girl so I didn't mean to put it down. I love Sephora's lotions!!

Mark Goldhaber
09-20-2005, 07:17 PM
2) Guided Power Walk through DCA before it opens to the public. This started at 7:30 and you needed to make reservations for it. This was also FREE! I wasn't feeling good so I passed on this - but it sounded really cool.
The "Get Up and Go!" Fitness Walk. It was fun. We had a group of (I think) 8 guys, no women that day. We probably walked for about 35 of the scheduled 45 minutes. Started with stretching, then waited for a guard to open the gate for us. We went up through Paradise Pier, around to it's a bug's land, Hollywood Backlot, then back through Pacific Wharf before heading back through Condor Flats. We kept a pretty good pace, and our cast member guide told us some fun facts and some stories about his 17(?) years with Disney. I'd do it again. :)

katya
09-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Omigod, not like we needed an excuse to go to Sephora. We are SO there.

junglejoy
09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
We loved the arts and crafts tour when we stayed at the GCH. I hope the DLH has the same or similar offerings. We're arriving Sunday for six days and can't wait!

pirateabbie
09-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Omigod, not like we needed an excuse to go to Sephora. We are SO there.

Yup. I pretty much thought of you the second I heard about this. Blue, glittery eye shadow for everyone!

Matt Hamand
09-21-2005, 07:58 AM
They also have an event with the LEGO Store.

I think it costs about $20. You get a tour of the store, a session with a LEGO builder, pre-opening shopping, and a gift card. I don't remember specifically but I think the gift card amount was the same as the event cost. Making the whole thing effectively free.

I've considered trying it the last couple of times we stayed at the GCH, but never really found the motivation/time. And it's not like I don't have enough LEGO sets anyway. (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/mlist.cgi?m=1091)