PDA

View Full Version : Any "Friends of Dorothy" going to DL Oct. 1 & 2?

Pages : [1] 2

leotatoombs
09-19-2005, 03:44 PM
I wondered if there are any "Friends of dorothy" that have MP meets at DL? My friends B-day is that weekend & wants me to come to so cal & go to DL. I'm debating whether I should go then or in mid Oct. for MA? :D

Alex S.
09-19-2005, 04:36 PM
I assume you know that there will be plenty of Friends down there that weekend. I don't know if any of the MP members will be there.

Tutter
09-19-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm going to Disneyland again that weekend again - yaaaaaaaaaaaay - I am looking forward to it.

leotatoombs
09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm going to Disneyland again that weekend again - yaaaaaaaaaaaay - I am looking forward to it.Your going again? You live in scotland right? When was your last visit to Disneyland resort U.S.A?
:)

Tutter
09-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Your going again? You live in scotland right? When was your last visit to Disneyland resort U.S.A?

A few weeks ago. :D

leotatoombs
09-19-2005, 11:24 PM
A few weeks ago. :DMe too!
:D I went for a week in august. Now I Am planning a weekend trip Sept 30th thru October 3rd for pals birthday.Are you going for any of the events that weekend? :)

TowerofTerror
09-19-2005, 11:30 PM
nope im sorry dont know that person at all

Disney4Me
09-19-2005, 11:43 PM
nope im sorry dont know that person at all

Nope, me either...I have heard of Friends of Bill. lol I think that is an AA thing.
Before anyone flames me on that I didn't mean anything by it..this post just reminded me of it.

Bump

geoffa
09-20-2005, 01:43 AM
Nope, me either...I have heard of Friends of Bill. lol I think that is an AA thing.
Before anyone flames me on that I didn't mean anything by it..this post just reminded me of it.

Bump
I'll get you, and your little dog too!

geoffa :fez:

CrazyTrain
09-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Here ya go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_Dorothy

09-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Oh..... okay. Now I get it. Friend of Dorothy. Okay.

Wait. Why are we still talking about gays this way?

MammaSilva
09-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Can I just say I'm amazed it took 11 posts for that to hit this thread? The annual Gay Days at the park are traditionally the first weekend in October, crowds aren't impacted all that much but there are some folks who are happier to stay home that day....others bust out their red shirts either in proclamation or support of friends/loved ones that are gay. I think I need to check with a couple friends of mine before I know how offensive (if at all) the 'friends of Dorothy' thing is to them and their lifestyle. I still have a hard time with the whole orientation defining the person. I have friends who happen to be gay...I don't have GAY friends...but that's just me.

Edited to add, I have friends who are also 'friends of Bill' as well...same thing applies... I have friends in recovery or support groups...it's not the definition of who they are as a person.

stan4d_steph
09-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Every time I see the thread title I think "Surrender Dorothy!" and envision the skywriting scene from the Wizard of Oz.

Tutter
09-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Me too!
:D I went for a week in august. Now I Am planning a weekend trip Sept 30th thru October 3rd for pals birthday.Are you going for any of the events that weekend? :)

I won't be going to any of the events but I shall be having a great time on all the rides and shopping and seeing things.

leotatoombs
09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Here ya go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_of_DorothyThanx CT I used that term and never new the info about it!
:D Cool now I know how that term came to being.

leotatoombs
09-20-2005, 01:02 PM

Wait. Why are we still talking about gays this way?I know it's outdated ! But I used it not wanting to offend anyone. Also not wanting any attacks etc.My friend recently told me they used this term on cruise ships calendar of events on cruises that would not necesarily be all gay. "friends of dorothy" meets are listed as to not upset other guests. I actually forgot what it meant to some people, until he told me about the disney magic comin' to long beach san pedro area.

leotatoombs
09-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Every time I see the thread title I think "Surrender Dorothy!" and envision the skywriting scene from the Wizard of Oz.
LOL cute that reminds me better renew or return Wizard Of OZ to the library! :D

geoffa
09-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Wait. Why are we still talking about gays this way?

We gays have our own language and, yes, some of it originates from put downs of the past. We're strong enough to take it and some of us thrive on it. If you're not gay you won't quite understand AND that is not a put down on you.
I'd love to be at the Gay weekend at Disney and one year I'll be there - broomstick permitting....see, there I go again!

geoffa :fez: aka Evil Queen

RemainSeatedPlease
09-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Lots of people from MP are going that weekend! We will be there (no 'Friends' though) and I can just bet it will be busy with all of the events..and just the fact that alot of Mp's are going..well more than typical. But it will be soo much fun anyways!

spectromen
09-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I think I need to check with a couple friends of mine before I know how offensive (if at all) the 'friends of Dorothy' thing is to them and their lifestyle.

Not the least bit offensive to me ;)

Wouldn't you know it - the one weekend this happens at DL, I'l happen to be on vacation at WDW! :(

leotatoombs
09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm glad That it seems no one is offended! :) I had origionally wanted to go to the MA mid oct. but decided to wait until maybe I met more MPers in person. A friend of mine guilted me into coming to so cal 4 his Bday oct.3 So we are going to gay days together instead of the MA. I am just interested in meeting new friends in general & or people to hang at the parks with. Note,my thread about MP meets a couple of days ago :)

coronado_g
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Last year on that weekend, a girlfriend and I went to DCA...and I just happened to wear a red shirt! Everyone was being so friendly and smiling at us and we were thinking "Wow! Everyone sure is feeling the love of Disney here". About half way thru the day, someone clued us in on the significance of the event and the red shirt. My girlfriend and I had a good laugh and then she went and bought a red T-shirt at the ToT - so we bothed walked around in red!! :D

DianeM
09-20-2005, 08:19 PM
LOL. That happened to me, too. I have a favorite Disney shirt that is BRIGHT red, and my husband and I visited DL for my birthday - which happened to fall on the first weekend in october that year. We got a great "Rainbow Mickey" antenna topper. I noticed a lot of people in red t-shirts, and a lot of gay couples, and finally put two and two together. We got a great rainbow Mickey colored antenna topper that I haven't seen at DL since - but my husband won't use it since I explained to him what the rainbow would mean to some people. S'okay... he collects them, and has more than he could ever hope to use.

Last year on that weekend, a girlfriend and I went to DCA...and I just happened to wear a red shirt! Everyone was being so friendly and smiling at us and we were thinking "Wow! Everyone sure is feeling the love of Disney here". About half way thru the day, someone clued us in on the significance of the event and the red shirt. My girlfriend and I had a good laugh and then she went and bought a red T-shirt at the ToT - so we bothed walked around in red!! :D

leotatoombs
09-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Last year on that weekend, a girlfriend and I went to DCA...and I just happened to wear a red shirt! Everyone was being so friendly and smiling at us and we were thinking "Wow! Everyone sure is feeling the love of Disney here". About half way thru the day, someone clued us in on the significance of the event and the red shirt. My girlfriend and I had a good laugh and then she went and bought a red T-shirt at the ToT - so we bothed walked around in red!! :DThat's funny!
:) It's great that you went along in support,& had fun with it! I see some people get really miffed & change there red shirt that come not expecting it to be GD. But it's fun to read some of the things these red shirts say! :D

katya
09-20-2005, 08:26 PM
We'll be there on the second. I bought a stunning red Lacoste polo to wear that day in solidarity and to make it more fun to flirt with the cute gay boys. :) Not that I am a gay boy (or girl), but I like flirting. :)