PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn, scary?

Pages : [1] 2

mauiliz1
09-19-2005, 01:37 PM
IF my daughter and I both hated Splash Mountain because of the drop at the end, and do not go on roller coasters, I have always assumed we wouldn't like the Matterhorn, but I have read it is fast , not anything about drops. Do you think we would like it?

Thanks, the big chickens!!

lauramaynot
09-19-2005, 01:43 PM
IF my daughter and I both hated Splash Mountain because of the drop at the end, and do not go on roller coasters, I have always assumed we wouldn't like the Matterhorn, but I have read it is fast , not anything about drops. Do you think we would like it?

I think it is tame but I enjoy the "scarrier" attractions. Depending on which side of the mountain you choose the ride is different. We usually go on the tommorrowland side of the track and when we decided to change it up and go on the fantasyland side we all jumped when we heard the yeti growl and eyes light up in the darkness since we knew the other track so well. I say the tommorrowland side isn't as scarry and more of the ride seems to not be in darkness. I definately think it is worth a try since it is probably the tamest rollercoaster I have ever been on but it is jerky at times and your rear may be a little bit sore when you get out.. :D

09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
The Matterhorn is a roller coaster, in fact the first steel running track with cars riding on nylon wheels. Those silent wheels make plummeting through the mountain tunnels quieter.

danyoung
09-19-2005, 01:48 PM
There is a slight drop on the Tomorrowland side as the track goes under another section of track. There are no drops at all on the Fantasyland side - just large sweeping curves around the mountain. Try it - I it's really mild as roller coasters go.

Mickey
09-19-2005, 01:49 PM
A little scary for kids but give it a try! No major drops nothing compared to splash mountain... just 100% Pure FUN!!!

09-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Is it true that Big Thunder Mountain is a copy of the Matterhorn track?

amarvel
09-19-2005, 01:58 PM
My mom doesnt go on rides, she likes fantasyland type tame ones. She doesn't ride indy, space or splash mountain, but she goes on the matterhorn :)

I dont think its a bad ride as all, just faster than the other rides, but no drops or tall heights or anything that scary.

i have never heard that BTMRR and Matterhorn have the same track. As BTMRR has three lifts, it couldnt be the exact same though...., but the ending is pretty similar.

hlbtimes2
09-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Its one of me and my husbands all time favorite rides. Last time we were there, my then 5 year old LOVED it. I think she went on it 3-4 times. What I like about it compared to a regular coaster, is that there is no drop from the track to whats below, so you never feel like you are up high. I have this odd that if something happened (derail/ crash/ ejected) that I would fall far, I would just land on the side of the mountain. (Please, nobody tell me how hurt I would still get- its my fantasy, and I prefer to keep it that way).

Anyway, there is no way to know unless you try it!

Wounded Bear
09-19-2005, 02:21 PM
From an engineering perspective, Matterhorn is a dinosaur as far as "roller coasters" go.
It is very jerky and not smooth, it is not fast, but there are some abrupt movements that can be a little uncomfortable.
On the plus side, it does tell a story and it is very nostalgic. I always find it thrilling whichever side I choose to ride on. And it immediatly whisks me back to my childhood everytime.
Enjoy, and remember to "REMAIN SEATED PLEASE".

Rteneyck
09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I agree that this ride is not scary in the least, however it is very jerky. I won't ride anymore since I have back problems, as it can really beat me up. My 4year old loves it and my husband and her go on it everytime.

Mark Mywords
09-19-2005, 02:47 PM
The Matterhorn is very tame and is an excellent choice for somebody's "First Time" on a real roller-coaster.

Mermaid
09-19-2005, 02:54 PM
I can't remember- is it the TL side that is faster and the FL side is longer- or the other way around?? I think I liked the TL side better, but now I'm not sure!!

mariogarza
09-19-2005, 02:56 PM

Not quite...BTMRR track is considerably longer at 2671'...It does feel similar at the end, but it's a very diferent layout....

From what I've read...WDW's Space Mountain is a copy of the Matterhorn, even with the mirror twin track...

Wounded Bear
09-19-2005, 03:07 PM
The TL side is better, I always prefer it over the FL side. It has two dips that I just love. The FL side only has one. If you really want to feel the love, sit in the very back.

CrazyTrain
09-19-2005, 03:37 PM

From one big chicken to another, I really don't think you'll like it. I don't like roller coasters but I thought I'd try this one - it was HORRIBLE. It also gave me a huge headache afterward. It IS a roller coaster. I do think you should try it but if you don't you're not missing much.

I do like Splash, though. I don't like the drop at the end but I suck it up and deal with it. It goes really fast. Unlike an actual roller coaster!

h_lehmann
09-19-2005, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't see how. The Matterhorn has two separate tracks, really two rides in one mountain. From what I remember Big Thunder Mountain has two loading areas, a right side and a left side, but after that both tracks converge into one. Big Thunder Moutain also has more than one lift hill.

Brydagr8
09-19-2005, 04:13 PM
its a little jerky, and little ones will not like the darkness of the lift tunnels. there also loud sounds.

MrsG
09-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I do not do roller coasters either, and the whole time I am on Splash I am just dreading the drop at the end. That said, I love the Matterhorn. It is the only "thrill" ride I can stomach (literally). I'd say, try the tamer side - FL side and do it during the daylight hours.

SarahShep
09-19-2005, 04:36 PM

Ok...I am a huge chicken. I used to ride Splash, but I would get off of the ride crying and shaking so much I could hardly stand. I can handle everything in that ride...except the drop in the end.

That being said, you guys sound exactly like me and I love the Matterhorn. It is a little jerky...but if you hold your head away from the backrest for the most part, you'll do ok. There are no major drops though...just baby ones. :) Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it! :D

MermaidHair
09-19-2005, 04:38 PM
I have read that for the Matterhorn you have to be 35 inches tall and 3 years old. When we go to DL Thing 2 will be 3 months shy of 3 but he will definitely be way over 35 inches. How picky are they about the 3 year old thing? I am not sure if I will even try and take him on it but if he takes well to other rides and seems up for it I might want to. What do you think?

vmjess
09-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I love the Matterhorn, and I hate most roller coater type rides. Actually, every Disneyland ride is great- I don't think there is anything too scary there- that is why I love it so much.It is the Magic Mountain upside down type rides that I hate. My boys are scared of lots of rides, but the Matterhorn is just roller coaster enough for them. Good luck!

Sandiegoboy
09-19-2005, 05:15 PM
I like the matterhorn, but I think Space Mountain is a tamer ride.
Matterhorn hurts me everytijme. Im always worried about getting injured rather than enjoying the ride.

BellhopMicah
09-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Woot, looks like the input will also get this big chicken on the ride once I go to DL. :D

The Genii
09-19-2005, 08:52 PM
The Matterhorn track is supposed to be very similar to Space Mountain in Orlando (not Big Thunder Mountain Railroad).

SarahShep
09-20-2005, 07:50 AM
I have read that for the Matterhorn you have to be 35 inches tall and 3 years old. When we go to DL Thing 2 will be 3 months shy of 3 but he will definitely be way over 35 inches. How picky are they about the 3 year old thing? I am not sure if I will even try and take him on it but if he takes well to other rides and seems up for it I might want to. What do you think?

I'm not sure if the rules have changed at all recently, but I've gone on many trips with little ones and we have never been asked about their age...they just put them up to the little measurer and if they don't hit the mark, they don't go on. My cousin Emily has always been tall for her age, so she's ridden lots of rides at a young age...younger than most.

Then again, I haven't been to DL since the incident in FL on Mission:Space...so maybe they have changed the rules a bit? Anyone have any insight?