PDA

View Full Version : Sales tax rate?

poohlover
09-19-2005, 11:19 AM
What's the current sales tax at DL/CA? (I live in Oregon...no sales tax...so need to get my mind working in that direction before our trip!)

Thanks!

cstephens
09-19-2005, 11:22 AM
What's the current sales tax at DL/CA? (I live in Oregon...no sales tax...so need to get my mind working in that direction before our trip!)

Thanks!

At DL, it's 7.75 percent.

a hyperbole
09-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Thanks!

Orange County sales tax is 7.75%, and I believe hotel room tax is 15%

adriennek
09-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Riverside county is also 7.75% but just in case anyone is wondering, Los Angeles County is 8.25%.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
09-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Orange County sales tax is 7.75%, and I believe hotel room tax is 15%What I find interesting is some hotels charge 15% and others charge 15.25%.

Crazy4Mickey
09-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Another related questions. I know for us Oregonians that if we cross the border into WA. we can show our drivers license and be exempt from paying the sales tax. Does this apply in CA too or is that just wishful thinking? :)

Ulysses
09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Another related questions. I know for us Oregonians that if we cross the border into WA. we can show our drivers license and be exempt from paying the sales tax. Does this apply in CA too or is that just wishful thinking? :)

That's an agreement your two states (Oregon and Washington) have with each other. Sales tax is a tax on sales within a state, not a tax on residents of a particular state. It applies to any transaction within the state, regardless of the home state of the purchaser.

I have had this discussion with guests from Oregon several times. Some of them insist that they don't have to pay sales tax if they show an Oregon driver's license. Sorry, that's not true!

Crazy4Mickey
09-19-2005, 12:58 PM
I have had this discussion with guests from Oregon several times. Some of them insist that they don't have to pay sales tax if they show an Oregon driver's license. Sorry, that's not true!
I kind of figured that would be the case, but figured I would check just in case. Thanks for the info.